Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Imp Creature Pic  (Read 6570 times)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 10 February 2010, 12:48:31 »

Well here I am in the Thalambath Library.  While reading a fascinating book entitled "Notes on Impish Phylogeny" written by Khaius Onderfaust, I noted that many pages had been altered, old writings crossed out and new descriptions written in the margins.  On one page a wonderful picture of three green leprachaun creatures was crossed out with the words "INNACURATE" written over the top.  

Just at that moment my Imp Creature, a red variety,  came flapping his wings into the room and landed on a podium.  He was carrying a message for me.  It read in very simple words........"You have my permission Seeker"  the message was signed ---THAROC.  

Comments Welcome
« Last Edit: 26 February 2010, 23:16:47 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2010, 13:24:19 »

Oh! Ok I'll quick comment before bed.

First of all, he's a lovely creature. Thanks so much for working on him!  thumbup

- What drew my attention first was his head. As described, the head is a bit more triangular in shape rather than rounded. I pictured his face a little flatter with his horns sweeping backwards. Of course, horns pointing forward is good too as a variation. Imagine his head resembling a skull in a way. I do not know how best to describe it...I would start with maybe flattening his face a bit, and having not so much roundness atop the head. We'll try that first.  :)

- Second, his body shape looks a bit off. The shadow hides his midsection, but it looks larger. Perhaps make it a bit skinnier?

- His right leg looks fatter than the left. Maybe thin that out, too.

- The tail and hands look good.

- Maybe thin his neck a bit. It looks thick and loose in places. I think I envisioned a shorter neck with the head hanging low.

Hrm...that should do it for starters. But it was the head that made the imp unique. I know that may take some work though... grin

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 11 February 2010, 02:45:30 »

The picture looks fantastic as far as I am concerned, Azhira's comments basically take care of what can still be improved at the imp to make it even more perfect :)

I've seen the picture already in a previous state (as it is planned to use the background for Santhworld). The the books and shadows weren't done yet as they are now, and I'm very happy with what you did with it - everything fits together now, brilliant! Seeing the imp now and the pedestal and everything, it might very well be possible that we give this guy a guest star role in the game, especially as we can use the pic as it is or the background only, so why not both if the plot allows it. Imps aren't capable of talking however and they communicate mainly with their tail I've read in Azhira's entry, so that might be a bit difficult to handle, but we'll think of something I'm sure.

Aura +1 for this tremendous piece of work, Seeker!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2010, 06:33:00 »

I rarely keep in mind Santhworld when developing...perhaps I need to start! What you could do is describe the imps' communication with their tail. I thought about making them communicate via thoughts, but had no idea how to explain or introduce that into Santh! Perhaps someday. I am thinking the imps' do talk to *each other* through their minds, but left that to the reader to conjecture.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2010, 07:06:01 »

Ahh! Those books! I want all those books at home!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2010, 12:59:24 »

I rarely keep in mind Santhworld when developing...perhaps I need to start! What you could do is describe the imps' communication with their tail. I thought about making them communicate via thoughts, but had no idea how to explain or introduce that into Santh! Perhaps someday. I am thinking the imps' do talk to *each other* through their minds, but left that to the reader to conjecture.
Perhaps a sign language based on the movements of their tails rather than arms like human sign languages?  Seems more plausible than telepathy to me.  Then again, magic exists, so maybe it's not that implausible after all.   :D

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2010, 14:49:16 »

Take off the wings and it looks like my little brother.  :P  Nice pic Seeker. :)
« Last Edit: 12 February 2010, 00:05:21 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2010, 19:12:20 »

Altario, shame on you, you should not talk about your family in this way and reveil those secrets yet unknown to us...   buck

Seeker, now I know what was irritating me yesterday. The imp is much less detailed and finely painted than the background, it is somehow a style break in the  picture. But I assume, you are getting at it later.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 February 2010, 00:40:45 »

The reason I did not have the imps with vocal speech is because I just could not imagine what their voice would sound like. Screechy? Squeaky? Deep? Whispery? All of the options seemed to not fit.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 February 2010, 00:49:08 »

How about a whispery telepathic voice?

Or a whispering/hissing voice which sounds like many voices in unison, as though all the imps are speaking as one?

Either could be used in conjunction with tail movements, in much the same way as orcs use facial gestures.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 February 2010, 04:08:50 »

Cool picture. :) Though I have to agree with Talia, right now the imp looks less detailed than the bookcases and the books themselves.

Btw, your "introduction to the picture" indicates that this is a Thalambath library, but I'm not sure if that's intended to be the case for the actual picture. If it *is* the Thalambath library, then right now it looks too much like the inside of a more European-flavoured stone castle. I am not sure if your intent was something specific, or if you specifically wanted it to be generic.

So of course, the picture works fine like that, but if you actually want it to depict a Thalambathian library, then there will need to adjustments in that area (I can give suggestions once I get confirmation on that point). Primarily just the stonework, the bookcases and so on are fine. Again, this is only if you choose to actually make it a picture of a Thala library, rather than something that can fit as any generic medieval library.

Keeping it generic makes it work better for Santhworld of course.

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 February 2010, 04:46:06 »

Yeah Fox,

In this case, the intro part was just for fun. (I always like to let people know where Seeker is travelling)  The Library scene is mainly intended for Santhworld.  Of course I would also like to provide the background for an entry as well and like you said it wouldn't work well for a Thalambath Library.

So if there are any takers for a generic Library for another entry let me know folks.  Perhaps could be used in the Library Forum as well.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 144

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 February 2010, 04:47:03 »

I'd offer Remusiat.. but... we don't read. buck

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 12 February 2010, 04:50:02 »

possibly Ximax?

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 12 February 2010, 05:03:32 »

I guess now that we have a proper Library pic we might as well update our Library Forum pic, because the current picture is just patched together from something that remotely reminded of a "library". The picture might also find its way in a general Library entry on the site, e.g. where the details on handling Library entries are defined, or we could use it to represent a part of the Lorehold in an entry, or even the Compendium halls, yes even Ximax etc. - Lots of possibilities there :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]