Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Mithril Tomato - for Artimidor, whose casual reference inspired this plantl  (Read 8258 times)
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 May 2010, 15:03:03 »

like them at the yellow or orange stage, before they become too aceedic

...acidic, I think.

Just noticed that in Shab's comment...when I read through, the entry looked fine (as in "Fine food, fine wine and fine tomatoes")

Athviaro the Tomato Gobbler.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 May 2010, 15:11:24 »

Aceed is the Santh version of Acid... so.....  rolleyes

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 May 2010, 15:46:45 »

*Has the good grace to look sheepish*

Ah. Didn't know that.

*From somewhere an irritating voice pipes up "The Wise speak only of what they know", and is answered with a bellow. Athviaro disappears and returns a few seconds later, dusty, clothes torn and blood on his shirt*

Anyway, where were we? Oh, being an idiot. Me, to be precise.

*Walks out of the thread, head held high, then outside the door breaks down in tears*

Athviaro the Highly Mortified

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 May 2010, 19:27:42 »

Don't feel bad. I always get those pesky "santharian" vs "modern" words mixed up. In fact, I still don't understand how "recipe" became "receipt"...not to mention how I am -still- corrected on my UK vs. American spelling of certain words. Arti is a patient soul to not get annoyed with that yet.  :P

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Bard Judith

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 11 May 2010, 23:07:12 »

(grins at the various hubbubery taking place in her study and picks up her parchment to check it over again)

Ah, most wise and sagacious Shaba, 'etherean' comes not from the Tharian 'ethereal' in this case but is derived from the name of our god of lust and passion, Etherus.  Hence the adjectival form with its sense of 'lusty' or 'arousing' - perhaps the Santharian adjective which would most aptly replace 'aphrodisiac', derived from the Greek Aphrodite?   I must try to suggest and popularize it, though I suspect 'aphrodisiac' already has wormed its way into a number of entries for some peculiar reason (looks innocent and offers him another cup of thyron-cha)

Oh, do excuse me a moment.

(steps outside her study to find a shaken apprentice hastily appearing to blow his nose)

My dear Ath, set aside your chagrin.  While it is rare, I will say it is not unheard of for a bardic error to occur; I do believe that young barbarian lass Alysse the Likely has spotted a few ere now, not to mention (looks somewhat chagrined herself) that overly perceptive Shabbysage....   but it is uncommon enough that I do have a standing challenge out for finished entries:  should you detect an actual mistake in spelling (not merely archaic or tharian forms) or grammatical usage (ditto) you may claim and collect a custom illustration for an existing entry of your own or another's. 

(looks hastily over her shoulder back into the study)

Ah, tribblefuzz, I hope Shab didn't overhear that.  I don't think he knows about the Bardic Challenge as of yet....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 14 May 2010, 02:01:27 »

Oh, he knows, he knows.

But he forgets. He thanks the lady for reminding him!

But he refuses to claim any entitlement he might have accrued before the lady has found time to finish the lovelinesses she has started.

"etherean" is in the Oxford English Dictionary by the way: (rare) =ethereal; 1. heavenly, refined; 2. [of a colour] delicate.

Not that this should make a difference to Etherus.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2010, 02:05:52 by Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang » Logged

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 14 May 2010, 14:16:44 »

I must steal that suggestion, as deftly as possible, about Tom and the Gravioness' mutual passion - for the mithato, of course....

And I shall forthwith (more or less forthwitherly, anyhow, which is to say, after my next two classes and once I get home to my own computer and IF it agrees to go online) incorporate both Shab and Thar's brilliantly and carefully observed critiques.  The smaller they are, the more work it must have taken to find them, which is a) just the way I like it and b) tribute to their gifts of perception.

Auras to both of you, my dear gentleme...er, gentlesentients.  I must get this entry finished, for Art and art's sake!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 15 May 2010, 00:20:38 »

Note to self:  "Barbarian Mithato is smaller, tougher, and comes in a much thicker 'parchment' husk, finely haired both inside and out, rather like a milkweed pod.  This soft 'fur' seems to serve  as a sort of 'fur coat' for the delicate red gem inside! "

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 27 May 2010, 08:01:09 »

(shuffles parchments around on her desk, picks up an illustration with a sigh of satisfaction, then grabs a scroll that is about to slip off the pile altogether...)

What's this one, then?

(unfurls it enough to see the title at the top)

Fuzzles and firkins!  I thought I had completed and submitted this to the Compendium ere now...

(sets the hapless scroll down with a vexed thump and makes yet another mental note that she must complete her 95% list...and start crossing off entries on it...one of these months....)

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 01 October 2010, 12:08:27 »

I am very pleased to announce that the Territory section of this entry has finally been completed, and that this delicious 'vegetable' may now take its place in the Compendium at Artimidor's leisure.  Yes, there is an illustration coming as well!

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 01 October 2010, 13:35:01 »

Yum!

Looking forwards to those Barbarian Mithatos!  Of course, they won't be called that (at least not in the vicinity of a Kuglim warrior)

Let's see, the Kuglim would call them Vla'wuk'alth--shortened to Vlukath (meaning doesn't translate well, but it approximates "armoured fruit".)  And I know that according  proper Kuglimz grammar it should be Alth'wuk'val, but that is much more awkward to say and doesn't shorten well either.  So, "Vlukath" is the Barbarian Mithato, unless anyone's got a better suggestion?

Alysse the Likely
Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 01 October 2010, 13:40:39 »

Aaaaah!  I haven't incorporated the Barbarian version yet!  Ok, Art, hang on for an hour or so.  I'll get to it.....

Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 04 October 2010, 11:50:49 »

All suggested edits have been made, a new receipt added, Azzy's tomato variant, and a nod to the gourmets of Santharia!   Sorry I haven't marked the changes in colour but I must run - off to the studio and then back to pick up my daughter from yuchiwan.

Hope you enjoy re-reading this and that it makes you appreciate the humble and lovely tomato!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 05 October 2010, 04:28:23 »

Cooll... cool There is actually hope for dust gathering entries to be saved from the clutches of oblivion!  thumbup

Now from what I see this is really now the most comprehensive entry that was every created about a "simple" tomato, which however is cause for great delight. Aside from the creative writing itself, this is an entry that helps reducing Judy's famous 95% finished stuff list - and for all that another aura +1 of course is well deserved. Bravo! clap

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 05 October 2010, 08:22:49 »

AND the picture will be ready by tonight.... hint hint... so hopefully there is time to get feedback and critique before they go up together....

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 77
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 73
Total: 73

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!