Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Osther-Oc: Tribe Update Discussion  (Read 5677 times)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« on: 29 March 2010, 05:36:58 »

I wish to do some updating to the Osther-Oc in order to keep them consistent with the Kaaer and the other developments I have done in Caaehl-heroth. Below is the current entry along with my comments and proposed revisions. Thoughts and comments welcomed!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The  orcish Osther-Oc tribes inhabit the  Northern Sarvonian region of of Caael'heroth and have played a key role in any military conflict fought by the dark elven cities of the north for centuries. The Osther-Oc are  mainly warlords and mercenaries who offer their services to the elven towns for supply, weapons and gold. Their kind became known to the world in the dark elven campaign that led to the Third Sarvonian  War in which many of these battalions formed the core of orcish armies to keep their brothers in the rows.

The Overview will require some updating. The major issue here is the presence of "dark elven cities". As of now, there are no dark elven cities in Caaehl'heroth. The dark elves no longer have a major presence in the peninsula as they once did during the waning days of SWIII.

Second, are the Osther-Oc still mercenaries and warlords? They once were during SWIII, but have since gone back to the hunter/gatherer/nomadic way of living. The elves no longer employ them as mercenaries nowadays.

Appearance. The Osther-Oc have an average size compared to other orcish tribes with 1.7 peds, being smaller than some of their southern brothers but of very strong build. Their skin is often of a pale grey or green due to the lack of sun in the far north. This impression is supported by the fact that Osther-Oc are used to cover their skin with pigments of bright blue or greens as sign of status to identify themselves among various battalions and to show their alignment to a certain dark elven city.

Osther-Oc's eye color is mostly yellow and other than most orcs their hair is of mouse brown which they wear shoulderlong and often colored in white, blue or green as well.

The above description is mostly accurate. The Kaaer bear a similar appearance. I would keep this as it is but expand with some more details.

The Osther-Oc are experts in war and as they receive weapons and equipment from their employers they wear most formidable dwarven or elven works, from fine armor to sharp swords.

The above is likely outdated now. During the wars, the orcs received equipment and armor from the dark elves. Where did they obtain dwarven works?

Female Osther-Oc can be only distinguished from the males by their more slender appearance and that they often wear the hair in a short pony tail. Their corner teeth are also much smaller than those of the males and thus make a far more civilized appearance.

The female appearance is fine, but could use some expanding.

Coat of Arms/Sign. The Osther-Oc don’t have a coat of arms on their own. Coloring their skin in blue and green is a common identification mark to distinguish warriors by the patterns on their skin. Often the battalions weave the sign of their employer into their patterns as well but beyond that it is hard to distinguish one from another by appearance.

However, most battalions, who are aligned to one of the cities wear the coat of arms of this city either on their clothes or on their round shields.

The coat of arms is outdated. Likely once the wars ended and the orcs were defeated in their southern invasion, the tribe would come to develop their own symbol. Since their religion mentions their love of nature, and the Kaaer are also nature-centric, I propose we give them a nature symbol - perhaps a "warlike" one with thorns, a sword, fangs or some combination.

Territory. The natural territory of the Osther-Oc is the wilderness around the Osthen Mountain and the surrounding woods and hills and this is still the place of battalions who fled from their current employer or for any other reason hide from the dark elves and dark dwarves in the region. Most others have their homes beyond the gates of the towns and cities in military camps or out in the field in the often disputed borderlands between the cities. Mount Osthen is a sanctuary to the Osther-Oc and a place of peace, so when battalions want to meet on neutral ground this is often the agreed meeting place.

Territory needs considerable revision. The tribe's ancestral home is Mt. Osthen, but I have since expanded their territory throughout the Eph'denn region. The dark dwarves mention needs to also be removed, or made more conjecture, as I never wished dark dwarves in Caaehl'heroth. At least not anytime recently.

People. The Osther-Oc are mercenaries by heart. While they might fear the wrath of their dark elven lords their alignment is nevertheless only bound to the money they receive from their employers. The Osther-Oc are the common soldiers of everyone's army in the Caael'heroth region and make their whole living in army camps. This made them experts in war, formidable fighters and professional soldiers. It is told that sometimes orc battalions rebel against their lords and flee into the woods but most of them have a far too good living around the cities, receiving clothes, supplies and formidable weapons in exchange.

The above was once true during the wars and when the dark elves ruled Caaehl'heroth during the building of Osthemangar. Nowadays, such has passed into history and no longer applies. The tribe, as I see them, no longer have army camps, battalions, warlords or employers.

The Osther-Oc are also the only orcish tribe known (with exception of the much more civilized Santharian Volkek-Oshra), where males and females are treated equally. Being at constant war with anyone their lords designate as enemies made it necessary to have as many people at arms as possible so the women are trained to fight as well. Only the pregnant ones and the children don’t have to fight and live in own rooms or tents. Due to the good supply and the fact that men and women sleep in the same rooms and there are no limitations concerning love and lust the Osther-Oc possibly are the most fertile tribe of their kind because unlike in many other tribes most of their children survive childhood as long as the battalion is not destroyed in battle or by treachery. The Osther-Oc regard the other orc tribes’ behaviour with great contempt for their treatment of females and find it largely inconceivable that a tribe would not want to treat all members depending on their individual abilities rather than their gender.

The above cultural description is fine and was borrowed for the Kaaer. Given the orcs' propensity to reproduce and give genders equal sharing, it is no surprise that the Kaaer were born and taught the same way. The Osther-Oc have no problems with interbreeding with human stock, however, any resulting half-orc children are expected to surpass normal orc children and likely are biased against due to their heritage. This is why the humans raised the half-breed children and not the orcen parent (more likely the father was the orc half).

Weaklings are usually killed as childs because they can’t serve a purpose in the battalion-like clan system. The old veterans, women and men alike, often serve as healers, cooks and teachers caring for the children, teaching them in the arts of war and all necessary weapon disciplines. Children turn to adults with the age of 17 and are trained in all kinds of weapons used by the Osther-Oc and the battalion-based tactics but when the need arises they might get fullworthy warriors earlier. Adulthood is initiated with a ritual that gives the young orc an open position in one of the squads of the battalion which determines in which tent he’ll sleep and with whom he fights. Till this point the children all have mastered already various tests which determine their skills and best usage to the battalion as a whole.

The killing of the weaklings is something the Kaaer do not do, and I see no reason why the Osther-Oc would do now. Teaching the art of war is no longer an issue, but continuing hostilities with the Kaaer is a problem as is the dangers from the Mists.

Suicide is very common among old orcs when they can’t serve a purpose for the battalion anymore or become ill but beside that the veterans of a battalion are well-respected members and the ethic and moral core of a battalion. Also noone dares to kill an orc of the own unit without the permission of the orc himself. Everyone is cared for equally and as well as possible.

Housing. In peace-times the Osther-Oc live mainly in the barrack-like buildings in or near the cities. In the wilderness they live in tents, rectangular in shape, big enough for about twenty people and so they sleep in the squads they’re also fighting.

Additional tents are those for the women - pregnant women that is -, the children and the supply and cooking tent. The women tent and the children tent are the only "buildings" in the camp that can be said to inhabit non-combatants, the rest of the tents is usually occupied by warriors where women lie beside men as it suits them.

Access to the women’s tent is restricted to the old and the women. This might be the only place where something you could call "family-bounds" are created. With the age of three the children have to sleep in the children tents and are trained as soldiers.

Their expertise in warfare made the Osther-Oc develop a form of encampment that is surrounded by a wall of wooden sticks that protects them from surprising attacks by cavalry but leaves enough room for the warriors to break out of the camp between the gaps. Sometimes wooden watchtowers and gates are erected as well.

Housing will likely need expanding. Perhaps the creation of log homes. Tents would not last long in the north Caaehl'heroth.

Clothing. Among the Osther-Oc is no difference between male and female clothing. The usual clothing consists of a one-colored, wide tunic, often brown or black, that is fixed by a a simple rope and serves as everyday clothing. Above that, most orcs wear a jacket or shirt of padded leather. The standard armor is a chest- and backplate, shoulderpads and helmet usually made of fine dwarven steel. Really wealthy orcs wear also a complete chainmail and thighpads and a closed helmet that protects the face.

Heavy boots or nailed sandals are the usual footwear. The personal belongings are worn in small bags around the neck or at the broad belt that everyone wears to keep the armor and the clothing in place. For cold winter or at rainy days leather coats and furs or any other kind of cloak are the usual addition to the clothing though the Osther-Oc are surprisingly used to coldness though not loving it.

The actual source of the clothing needs expanded. I'll need some beasts in that area for which the leather comes from. The Tsor-Shotak are not that far north, so maybe herds of another animal. Also, I doubt the orcs have anymore access to dwarven steel (if any existed at all). Whether the orcs actually make steel armor is something that needs developed. Perhaps they learned from the dark elves how to mine and produce steel from Mt. Osthen and so was passed to the Kaaer.

Diet. The Osther-Oc are usually receiving standard rations of grain and meat from the cities to supply themselves. If this is not enough they go out in the wilderness and hunt. In general they are better supplied than e.g. the Rhom-Oc though they depend heavily on what the elves give them and life in the wilderness is as harsh as in the Heaths of Wilderon.

Meat is their favourite diet, though it is often mixed up with grain and other sources of food to some kind of stew.

More detail here. Source of this meat? Vegetables? Fishing?

Weapons. As most of their equipment comes from the dark dwarves most of their weaponry is made of fine steel. Even weapons like spear and bow who are usually made with wood is made of metal. Some weapons only the Osther-Oc use regulary is the short pilum, a throwing spear and a metallic version of the orcish warbow which is also known in other tribes. Their bow though, constructed by dwarves, has even greater range and punch than the average warbow and they have an even wider array of arrows.

Poison is unknown to the Osther-Oc, though. The standard orc soldier carries a broadsword, a heavy sabre or even bidenhanders, one or several spears and a round or oval shield. Split up into several types, there are also archers, equipped with bow and dagger, and pikemen.

Again with the dark dwarves...something needs done with those dwarves that never really existed! The weapons are ok and are standard. The dwarven bow origin needs explanation. Pikemen, broadswords, pilums...etc need explanation. Who are they fighting with all of these weapons nowadays?

Occupations. Work is split up equally among all members of a battalion. Food, healing and childcaring is done by the old while the warriors clean the tents, the weapons and equipment and do most of the other stuff necessary to maintain a camp.

Major expansion here. Surely there are more occupations now. Some domestic, some hunters and some religious duties.

Government. There’s no real government among the Osther-Oc. Most serve their elven employers loyaly and with little thought about independence but as most dark elves don’t want to have something to do with orcs anyway they can organize themselves as they please. Usually there’s only a military command chain which also serves to organize life between the battles and wars. Usually groups of twenty elect their group leaders who together with the veterans elect the most experienced warrior as the leader of the battalion. The leader then designates the other necessary commanders to lead the battalion. The battalion is then ruled completely in a militaristic manner.

There must be some kind of government now. The dark elves no longer rule the orcs so over time, they developed a way of government. I'll have to research that.

Production/Trade. The Osther-Oc don’t produce anything though sometimes their smiths are as capable in repairing tools and weapons as are the dwarves.

Surely they produce something now. And some Osther-Oc clans do trade with the Kaaer.

Natural Resources. The Osther-Oc don’t own any natural resources.

Expand this. I think natural resources are in abundance in Eph'denn, but not so much north into the Osthemangar region. The Cartash valley would also hold something of worth.

Festivals. Centuries of war made the Osther-Oc very unaffected by any kind of propaganda. Anything suits as long as they receive something in exchange. The Osther-Oc believe in spirits living in any being on the world and sometimes they can be seen wandering through the woods in the morning just enjoying and from their perspective feeling the world around them.

In a society where family bounds are non existent and no Gods are worshipped to for a lack of purpose the Osther-Ocs are focussed in what is, not what was and what might be so there are no great cults or festivals and no remembering of the ancestors beyond extraordinary heroes of a clan.

The dead are buried only in their normal tunic stripped of all equipment that might be useful for another orc. In the belief of the Osther-Oc the spirit of the dead finds either peace in the world around or will be reborn.

Among the Osther-Oc are strict codes how different battalions behave to each other in battle. Much to the dismay of the darkelves the Osther-Oc refuse to kill wounded. A battle is over when one side either capitulates or leaves the battlefield. The wounded are all retrieved, the hopeless swiftly killed. A capitulating battalion might even keep its weapons and equipment

Religious development is also another problem. The Osther-Oc are said to be different in their way of worship in that they have no gods. They enjoy nature and bury their dead. Those practices also passed on to the Kaaer. So maybe the Osther-Oc were more of a primitive nature beliefs? Maybe they revered beasts and the wilds? The Kaaer do also, but the Kaaer have become more "enlightened" through the development and discovery of the Lost Ones' ancient culture.
« Last Edit: 30 March 2010, 07:59:55 by Azhira Styralias » Logged

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 29 March 2010, 23:41:14 »

Hi Azzy.

Some interesting ideas there, and some very valid points raised that definately need addressing. I feel terribly guilty now for not seeing to the tribal updates sooner.  :(

I've had some ideas over the months which may or may not assist you in this update. I'll put them in some kind of intelligible orser and let you see them, if you like?

I really should use this as a kick up the nether regions to do the same with the other tribes.  :)

Give me a day or two to organise myself, and I'll be right back.

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 March 2010, 07:58:31 »

No no, don't feel bad, Mister Tharoc! As you know, the Osther-Oc have slowly been undergoing updates piece by piece in many of my entries. It's about time I finally get around to updating the tribe. I think after all of my Kaaer related entries, I have a general idea how the Osther-Oc should be now. Your help is most welcomed!

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 March 2010, 08:09:29 »

Religious development is also another problem. The Osther-Oc are said to be different in their way of worship in that they have no gods. They enjoy nature and bury their dead. Those practices also passed on to the Kaaer. So maybe the Osther-Oc were more of a primitive nature beliefs? Maybe they revered beasts and the wilds? The Kaaer do also, but the Kaaer have become more "enlightened" through the development and discovery of the Lost Ones' ancient culture.

This last bit reminds me of the Klingons from Star Trek. :D

The Klingons are also said to have no gods. In their case, that was because the first Klingons didn't like what their gods were doing, and so the went in and killed them all ... maybe another possibility for you here as well, Azhira.

Another tidbit ... when Klingons die, the other Klingons let out a scream of primal fury and rage to warn the dead that a warrior is on the way.

Maybe it could be said that old klingons never die, they just lose their forehead ridges. :D

Dek
« Last Edit: 31 March 2010, 05:07:30 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 March 2010, 04:05:50 »

I shall be delighted to assist you in some small way with this, Azzy.

As I said, I just need to make sense of all these bits of paper with scrawl on them.....

Use the force, Luke.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 April 2010, 02:49:47 »

The Klingons are also said to have no gods. In their case, that was because the first Klingons didn't like what their gods were doing, and so the went in and killed them all ... maybe another possibility for you here as well, Azhira.

I -really- like this idea, Dek! I forgot about that little bit of ST lore. I'll add that into my pot of ideas!  :D

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 April 2010, 03:59:43 »

Hi Azzy. I'll share a few of my thoughts wbout the Osther-oc with you here, but I haven't much time so I'll be back again tomorrow.

The Overview will require some updating. The major issue here is the presence of "dark elven cities". As of now, there are no dark elven cities in Caaehl'heroth. The dark elves no longer have a major presence in the peninsula as they once did during the waning days of SWIII.

Agreed. Any city would be lucky to survive the hostile weather/warring orcs etc for such a period of time. I expect much of what remained of them would have been removed to build newer settlements. Perhaps there could be room for the foundations of some unknown ancient buildings hiding somewhere, though?

Second, are the Osther-Oc still mercenaries and warlords? They once were during SWIII, but have since gone back to the hunter/gatherer/nomadic way of living. The elves no longer employ them as mercenaries nowadays.

I've always held the opinion that there are still Oster-oc mercenaries to be had, if you know where to look. I hoped to create a 'special forces' kind of operation, using only females (who have proven themselves to be better than the males at this kind of activity. Perhaps the units are made up of orphaned females, or those who are considered unworthy of breeding?). I can't see any of the orc tribes foregoing their military past entirely, except maybe the Gob-oc.
Even though the elves no longer require the services of the Osther mercs, I'm sure there are many folk out there who would have need of such 'specialised intelligence gathering' etc.

The above description is mostly accurate. The Kaaer bear a similar appearance. I would keep this as it is but expand with some more details.

I agree.

The above is likely outdated now. During the wars, the orcs received equipment and armor from the dark elves. Where did they obtain dwarven works?

Hmmm, yes. Methinks this calls for an ideas brainstorm on Osther trading practices, weapon forging and any related ideas.

The female appearance is fine, but could use some expanding.

Agreed. For my part, I always saw the Osther females as being by far the most attractive of the orc race. I was inspired by the wonderful image within the tribe entry. For some reason, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I find the female warrior in the picture quite attractive, in a strange way. I'm not saying I'd go out of my way to.... you know. But if I was forced to choose between her and, say, a sheep.....

The coat of arms is outdated. Likely once the wars ended and the orcs were defeated in their southern invasion, the tribe would come to develop their own symbol. Since their religion mentions their love of nature, and the Kaaer are also nature-centric, I propose we give them a nature symbol - perhaps a "warlike" one with thorns, a sword, fangs or some combination.

I've drafted some of the tribal emblems, as well as a few clan badges as well. I've even had the Wargrider clan emblem tattooed onto my right thumb! I haven't done the Osther-oc yet, but would love to have a bash, if you agree? I'm hoping to get either Judy or Seeker to paint them when I've got the full set.

Territory needs considerable revision. The tribe's ancestral home is Mt. Osthen, but I have since expanded their territory throughout the Eph'denn region. The dark dwarves mention needs to also be removed, or made more conjecture, as I never wished dark dwarves in Caaehl'heroth. At least not anytime recently.

Absolutely! I see their territory being spread over much of the peninsula by now. Not necessarily in one mass, more likely in widespread groups.

Right, I need to leave now, but I'll be back tomorrow with more. I'd love to discuss this further with you at some point, Azz.

Use the force, Luke.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 April 2010, 07:45:37 »

Agreed. For my part, I always saw the Osther females as being by far the most attractive of the orc race. I was inspired by the wonderful image within the tribe entry. For some reason, and I can't believe I'm saying this, I find the female warrior in the picture quite attractive, in a strange way. I'm not saying I'd go out of my way to.... you know. But if I was forced to choose between her and, say, a sheep.....

Oh, that's just baaaaaaaad.  And, yes, it must be just you.  As for the choice you would make, I think I'll keep my choice to myself.  *hides velcro gloves*

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 April 2010, 04:39:39 »

Psst! Alt. You forgot to take you wellington boots off.  ;)

Use the force, Luke.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 April 2010, 05:39:16 »

Right, here is the rest of my comments/ideas/suggestions regarding the Osther update.

The above was once true during the wars and when the dark elves ruled Caaehl'heroth during the building of Osthemangar. Nowadays, such has passed into history and no longer applies. The tribe, as I see them, no longer have army camps, battalions, warlords or employers.

Hhhmmm. As I said earlier, I can't see any way that any orc tribe would turn so far away from their miltary heritage, it's just too inbred. Granted, there are large contingents within the tribes that are not actively involved in either warfare or the preparation for it, prefering instead to trade/farm etc.
For a start, who would protect their borders? I can accept that warlords and large-scale employers will probably have been either phased out or killed or whatever, and perhaps their military units are more 'compact' these days (IE: small, mobile units, specialising in reconnaissance, infiltration, assassination etc), but I think military camps are a must in any civilisation. They need to be trained somewhere, after all. I mean, even the Swiss have army camps!
I'm not stamping my foot about this, Azzy, just trying to make sure we don't leave the poor buggers unprotected  grin

Besides, having the Osther-oc with no army would make quite a dent in my proposed Masterwork! Whichever one I choose to do  :P

The above cultural description is fine and was borrowed for the Kaaer. Given the orcs' propensity to reproduce and give genders equal sharing, it is no surprise that the Kaaer were born and taught the same way. The Osther-Oc have no problems with interbreeding with human stock, however, any resulting half-orc children are expected to surpass normal orc children and likely are biased against due to their heritage. This is why the humans raised the half-breed children and not the orcen parent (more likely the father was the orc half).

I agree. Perhaps, by now, they have even started to accept their half breed offspring as well? maybe even interracial marriage of some sort is beginning to grow in acceptance? I've got a PM from you from waaaaaay back, where you mention the practice of 'bride stealing'. I've been keen to introduce this into orc culture in some form for quite a while now. Perhaps this is a good opportunity?

The killing of the weaklings is something the Kaaer do not do, and I see no reason why the Osther-Oc would do now. Teaching the art of war is no longer an issue, but continuing hostilities with the Kaaer is a problem as is the dangers from the Mists.

I agree that they would no longer kill weakling children. They would probably find some way of them making themselves udeful to the tribe. I'll try to think of some ways. As for their relationship with the Kaaer, that is entirely in your hands, m'dear. The Mists present us with a unique problem, and a unique opportunity!

Housing will likely need expanding. Perhaps the creation of log homes. Tents would not last long in the north Caaehl'heroth.

Yes, major expansion in this department for all tribes, methinks! I imagine that they would have discovered better methods of housing themselves than tents by now. Either through copying the cabins/crofts etc they have seen elsewhere, or by 'acquiring' them over the years. ;)
Again, I think this is a good time for a discussion on the possibilities. I'm not sure how much timber would be available to them for building work, though. Are there many trees capable of surviving that far north?
My idea is akin to the iron age roundhouses we have here in Britain. A low stone wall with a wooden beamed, sloping roof, thatched with grass/reeds or covered over with earth and grass allowed to grow for insulation. I'll find some pics.
I think animal hide tents would suffice for travellers/hunters/nomads. They could mend/replace them as and when needed.
I'd like to use at least a couple more variations in housing, but trying to stick to a basic theme.

The actual source of the clothing needs expanded. I'll need some beasts in that area for which the leather comes from. The Tsor-Shotak are not that far north, so maybe herds of another animal. Also, I doubt the orcs have anymore access to dwarven steel (if any existed at all). Whether the orcs actually make steel armor is something that needs developed. Perhaps they learned from the dark elves how to mine and produce steel from Mt. Osthen and so was passed to the Kaaer.

Clothing definately needs revision. I see it as being one of the ways the different tribes can be identified by southerners etc. I'll consult the Bestiary and see what's available. Perhaps even the Herbarium can offer some good stuff? How about tightly woven grass armour?
As for the steel, I agree that Dwarven forged is probably very rare (handed down through families?). If they do mine their own, it will probably be of poor quality, unsuitable for blades etc.

More detail here. Source of this meat? Vegetables? Fishing?

Major work needed here! *passes Azzy a fetching pink hard hat with furry white bunny ears atop*
Living in such extreme conditions would neccesitate hunting and eating anything and everything that moves. I created several orc dishes in a previous entry for the Library. I'll dig it out and see if we can find anything useful in there.
Fishing would definately be used, although we need to find a suitably orcen method!

Again with the dark dwarves...something needs done with those dwarves that never really existed! The weapons are ok and are standard. The dwarven bow origin needs explanation. Pikemen, broadswords, pilums...etc need explanation. Who are they fighting with all of these weapons nowadays?

Damn those dark Dwarves! I've been collecting ideas for orcen weaponry for a while now, and have a vast array of ideas/descriptions to hand. And just because you carry a big stick doesn't mean you're about to hit someone with it!

Major expansion here. Surely there are more occupations now. Some domestic, some hunters and some religious duties

Agreed. With the decline/lessening of conflict, the orcs would innevitably turn to other things. Farming (both livestock and crops), hunting, fishing, trading etc. Religion needs major expansion as well. I'd like all the tribes to have their own unique take on the K'han'uck'tscha (the Losh-oc are the only tribe still worshipping in the old way, taking every word of the K'han'uck'tscha as 'gospel', so to speak).

There must be some kind of government now. The dark elves no longer rule the orcs so over time, they developed a way of government. I'll have to research that.

I see the various styles or orc government being based on the simple socialist systems practised by most isolated tribes in RL. Each member would be responsible for his/her own tasks, and would get an equal share of all produce/proceeds. Obviously, I'm not suggesting we make them out and out communists, but simple variations on this theme would probably work well for them. Except the Losh-oc, of course!
Obviously, there will be those who wish to be more equal than the others, as in RL. This could give us some interesting little ideas to work with at a later date.

Surely they produce something now. And some Osther-Oc clans do trade with the Kaaer.

Absolutely! Even if it's just trading any excess produce. I'll think on this some and get back to you.

Expand this. I think natural resources are in abundance in Eph'denn, but not so much north into the Osthemangar region. The Cartash valley would also hold something of worth.

Having lived in this region for so long, they would have found anything and everything that can be used for something. We just need to find out what it is! Another topic for discussion/brainstorming, methinks. Perhaps I could use the Black Grannite idea I had?

I touched on this subject earlier. As I said then, I want each tribe to have its own religious identity, and your basic idea for the Osther is fine by me. Not having a lot to reference, they would undoubtedly focus their attentions on the natural elements around them. Again, a subject I think needs discussion.

Right, that's my thoughts on your thoughts. Overall, I like what I see, with the exception of hamstringing them militarily. I'll carry on refining my ideas at this end and PM you when I've got them in order. Also, I'll put my little grey cells into motion over some of the topics mentioned above.
Let me know what you think, or if there's any particular area you'd like me to work on. I am, as ever, at your disposal, Mistress Azhira.

Use the force, Luke.

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 02 April 2010, 14:25:47 »

"My idea is akin to the iron age roundhouses we have here in Britain. A low stone wall with a wooden beamed, sloping roof, thatched with grass/reeds or covered over with earth and grass allowed to grow for insulation. I'll find some pics."

And when you do, send them my way. My monitor is almost completely unusable atm, but my first paycheck is finally in.  I'm looking forwards to getting back to my tablet.

Speaking of pics and attractive orcen females, youhaven't forgotten our Choan, right?  Mind you, it would take a formidably brave male to face up (or other verb and preposition of your choice) to her, but I've always thought her quite stunning...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 April 2010, 03:41:38 »

Judy? Judy..Judith...

The name sounds familiar, but..... :P

Welcome back, oh overworked and vastly underpaid, not to mention undervalued MasterBard.

I'll mail the pics to the address I used last time (t@p). I'll get those 'other' pics to you within the next few days as well. You know the ones, those sketches for that thing, 'member?

Ahh, Choan! How could I forget her flowing tresses, black as the night sky, her eyes like limpid pools, reflecting the glow from the burning Remusians. Those full, pouting lips.....ahem. Sorry, erm.....

Use the force, Luke.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 April 2010, 04:48:08 »

As promised, here are a few pics of British Iron age roundhouses, with a couple of possible extras thrown in. I've e-mailed these shots and more to Judy, so I expect we'll be seeing something special quite soon!

Let me know if you think these would be suitable for the Osther-oc, or any other orc tribe, for that matter.

This is a stone age dwelling. Possibly ideal as a temporary shelter for hunters/herders?

Roundhouse schematic.

Roundhouse interior showing beds.

This is a Scottish crannog, used around 5000 years ago. Basically a roundhouse on stilts, they were situated at the end of a narrow pier which jutted out over lochs. Relatively safe and easily defended. Ideal for fishing communities?

A typical British Iron age roundhouse. This particular one is in Wales. Sometimes the roof is lower and more domed, reaching almost to the ground. Soil can be placed over the roof and grass, weeds or perhaps healing/cooking herbs can be grown there for additional insulation.

This is the granary that sits near the roundhouse in the last pic. It could easily be adapted into another kind of shelter.

An arty-farty shot of a roundhouse door with shield. I see a large, communal roundhouse in each settlement, used for meetings, councils of war etc. Perhaps captured shields are placed all around the base of the house as a sign of power?

A sketch of what a typical day in the life of a roundhouse would have looked like.

This is an iron age Scottish dwelling. Basically, it's just reeds and branches piled into a hollow dome shape with a stone wall surrounding it.

An iron age upright loom. Possibly used by the Osther females? Definately used by Ashz-oc females.

Typical cooking fireplace. Some ideas for decor in the background.

Example of iron age interior design. Or have the orclings been at it with the spray cans again?

I hope these are of some use, Azzy. Or maybe they provide some inspiration to someone else?

Use the force, Luke.

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 April 2010, 07:01:00 »

Here you go, another Aura point for you, Master Wargrider ... I love this type of architecture ... really makes me wish I could travel over there to see such things.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 04 April 2010, 04:11:24 »

Why thankee, Dekmeister. No need though, really.  grin

For you to come over here, I mean. ;)

You just stay right where you are.  :)

I wouldn't want to risk Sordoc tagging along.  buck

Use the force, Luke.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]