Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Osther-Oc: Tribe Update Discussion  (Read 5671 times)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 07 April 2010, 02:57:22 »

Tharoc, I am working on a vague time line of the tribe. I think we need to determine some dates when the original Aes-Os tribe split into the Osther-Oc. I have a date in one of my entries, but its wrong. It needs to be earlier. Also, I give you the task of writing up the Housing, Weapons/Tactics and Resources for this entry. I can work on Beliefs, some People and Appearance. We'll make this a duel entry! What you have is fine and I would want you to participate in this entry update.  cool

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 52

Peripatetic plunderer of crunchy comestibles

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 07 April 2010, 03:55:50 »

Wow! I accept your gracious offer, Azhira. I hope I can produce something of a high enough calibre to sit alongside your own writings in this update.

Are you happy with the roundhouses as a starting point for the housing? I will be creating other styles as well.

Were you asking for my thoughts on the timeline? Or was it just a general heads-up as to what you were doing?

Use the force, Luke.

And if that doesn't work, try switching it off and back on again.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 07 April 2010, 04:32:09 »

The above is likely outdated now. During the wars, the orcs received equipment and armor from the dark elves. Where did they obtain dwarven works?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the Dark Elves would have been fighting with the Injerin, the Meladrhim and the Arthryon primarily. The Injerin are on good terms with the Kurakim if I'm not further mistaken, so if they were to join up with the Injerin (and I don't doubt this could happen, since the Kurakim like Dark Elves about as much as people like wasps) the Dark Elves could have acquired dwarven steel to equip the Osther-Oc with from the bodies. Spoils of war and such. Or the Osther-Oc could simply take it from the fallen themselves.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 07 April 2010, 04:47:30 »

Azzy has already touched upon this very subject elsewhere, Valan. (Thanks for taking the time and trouble to offer your suggestions, btw  thumbup)

We both agreed that this was a good way of getting some decent weaponry into orcen hands in ages past, but these days it wouldn't work. Spoils of war is still an accepted method of acquirement, though, but less frequently seen these days due to the orcs relative peacefulness.

I suggest that most tribes will by now be capable of crafting at least basic metal weaponry, but quality will vary wildly, depending on skill and available materials. The Ashz-oc, for example, are reknown for their excellent steel blades, while the Losh-oc are all but incapable of forging steel good enough for weapons. They rely heavily on the spoils of war tactic. Either that or they pinch them.

Thanks again for your input, Val. Much appreciated.

Use the force, Luke.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 16 April 2010, 06:29:49 »

I had another thought. Or two.

I mention an ancient tribe of orcs who thrived in Caaehl'heroth but are now extinct (the Kalta'Goor entry I think...too lazy to research my own stuff  :P)

The Aeh'os'th'er'oc were a tribe of orcs who were the ancenstors of modern day Osther-Oc. They were quite advanced and built wondrous cities, towers and even art. They lived from the Eph'denn Heaths to the borders of Aden. They also settled the Icelands of Aeh'os'th'er'oc (for which they are named) and Kalta'Goor and Karma'Goor. Cort'Mangar was one of their finest achievements until the Dark Elves came.

The Dark Elves came north after the fall of F'v'cl'r. They invaded and were superior in most every way: magic, war and weapons. They subjugated the Aeh'os'th'er'oc and used Cort'Mangar as a base during the War of the Chosen. Many orcs were killed off. The Dark Elves turned the relatively peaceful Aeh'os'th'er'oc into a war-like mercenary tribe and made to serve as foot soldiers during the many incursions of the Dark Elves into Aden, Akdor and finally Santharia.

The Battle of Osthemangar was the final death of the Aeh'os'th'er'oc culture. When the final members of the old tribe died off, the survivors centered around Mount Osthen and founded a new culture called the Osther-Oc. These new orcs kept their warlike ways for many years, still under Dark Elf rule, and one of their final "crimes" was the subjugation of the human Kuglimz and Antislar settlers producing the Kaaer.

Since the defeat of the dark elf armies, the Osther-Oc retreated back to their tradisional home land of Mt. Osthen and took to a life of nomads and primitive settlers. They've forever lost there old Aeh'os'th'er'oc ways. Many ruins still stand all over Caaehl'heroth with many of them defiled by the Dark Elves and turned into dark temples of Coor (one is believed to be the Fangspire).

Thoughts?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 16 April 2010, 06:39:25 »

Around what date are we thinking the Antislar going to Anf and being subjagated?

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 16 April 2010, 11:44:50 »

Around what date are we thinking the Antislar going to Anf and being subjagated?

I'd say about 400 b.S. when the last nomadic orcs were gathered to join the final army that swept the South during SWIII. Anif is settled for about 100 years before the orcs march down and conquer the Kuglimz in the Themed'lon and the Antislar in Anif. Both tribes of humans are gathered and made to serve the dark armies and interbreeding occurs. Once done, they continue towards Remusiat sparking the Remusian civil war in which 10000 Osther-Oc are defeated, it is said. After that defeat, the remaining Osther-Oc go back to their homeland (some staying with their half-breed cousins) and go back to their nomadic lifestyle. The dark elves are entirely defeated and no longer pose a significant threat in Caaehl'heroth. Osthemangar is abandoned of most all dark elf presence and the orcs remain forever in fear of it.

Tharoc Wargrider
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 16 April 2010, 22:10:40 »

My flabber has ne'er been so ghasted, Azhira! Your brain must have been on a roll when you came up with this scenario!

Absolutely superb. A reason for everything and everything in it's place. I say 'Go for it'.

This line
Remusian civil war in which 10000 Osther-Oc are defeated,
reminded me of a feeble attempt I was making at writing an epic battle poem in the style of the ancient Greek or Norse authors. One of the few lines I have is "Ten thousand, thousand strong they came, K'han'uck's Northern Horde...." It then goes on with something about "kle'vaar, club and sword." I suppose I could cobble together a couple of verses to suit, if you want them? I originally imagined the poem having been written by a Dwarven scribe who witnessed the orcs vs Dwarf/Human battle at Hell'wrung when the orcs first tried to break out of Caael'heroth. This battle is an old idea I had before you pitched up with this much better one. *sigh*

Use the force, Luke.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]