Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: The Wanderer's Hot Meal  (Read 5857 times)
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 17

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 16 April 2010, 07:21:30 »

Thanks for the compliment Seeker. I'll let the idea sit for others to look over it. Well, since I'm done with this for the moment, time for a new idea! Where are those files?

"Vhodka is wonderful..."-Agran Velion
Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 16 April 2010, 10:13:58 »

Your welcome.  But don't miss the fact I'm thirsty.  Do you think the Wanderer's Meal could use a drink?  I personally don't drink anything that will get me drunk or killed but I am sure most wanderer's wouldn't mind a pint or some other hobbitty drink.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 April 2010, 11:17:05 »

A hobbity drink strikes me as mead, or a drink like it, I'd love to do an entry but, I don't fully understand the creation of liquor (with the distilling and all that). Although the thought strikes me of hobbits having sweet tea for some odd reason.

Seeker

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 April 2010, 11:27:31 »

No no no, I was just suggesting in the Hot meal entry you may want to mention what the Hobbits give the wanderer to drink.  That is all.  Just a mention.  The meal seems incomplete without a drink.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 16 April 2010, 19:08:23 »

I need to eat something first..

Agran, I only skimmed through your submission, but I was a bit bemused by the amount of repetition. Look for yourself:

The meat is often cooked on a spit over the fire until it is a juicy golden brown colour. The meat is tender, and one can see the juice and fat melting from the meat, it has been said that once the meat was so appetizing that the roaring of the traveller’s stomach had scared away the taenish in the area, all of which had to be rounded up again. The meat is covered in a thick gravy that spills into the tuberroots next to it.

It is similar in other parts also, maybe have a look, yes? :)

Edit:

@Shaba: Thanks for helping to avoid an irritating misunderstanding :)

Explanation for our native speakers how it can come to 'irritating' misunderstandings:

I used in my comment above "irritating" as a translation for the German word "irritiert", which only means 'distracted' or 'bemused', not annoyed. Shaba helped to avoid bad feelings!  heart
« Last Edit: 16 April 2010, 20:03:13 by Talia Sturmwind » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 17 April 2010, 06:34:25 »

Edited. Mentioned twice about the drinks that go along best with it and changed up meat with lamb a good bit of times.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 20 April 2010, 06:23:48 »

Hi Agran,

as I'm trying to get an entry done eventually about Hobbits and their food, I could not resist to read your submission a bit more carefully than last time.

Though some phrasing could be better at times, it is an amenable little description.

However, when I was finished with reading, I asked myself - why is this a wanderer's meal? Why is it a Hobbit speciality? I mean, every tribe will have meat, bread and vegetables as a main meal, what is there so special to be a 'wanderer's meal' and especially a Hobbit meal? This could be served everywhere by everybody. Don't you think so?

I think though I know, where you are aiming at. You want to create a special meal. A meal which brings certain images to ones mind, when one hears "wanderer's meal". Images about an excellent meal from the Shire.

You need to do quite a bit of rework, but please allow me to propose you the following:

First: Think, what would make such a meal special, so that it deserves its name and second - why is it of Hobbit origin.

What kind of meal needs a wanderer? Other than normal working people?

I'm only thowing ideas out now, for I'm not sure either, what would such a meal define.

Hmm, difficult. Let us assume, after your lore, the wanderer is fairly tired and exhausted. Then maybe he needs not a heavy meal, for though he is ravenous, he might not be able to start with a fat, heavy piece of meat. Maybe a soup first, to get the stomach used to the food? Perhaps the rest of the meal is more on the 'light' side as well? So maybe only taenish, but no fat mutton.

A 'wanderer's meal' could be something, which he can carry with him, either the remains of the last night meal, or something freshly made, which goes not so easily off, if it is not stored in a cool place?

Part of the problem I see is as well, that you allow so many choices. (Why don't you say, the caroot is cooked, maybe the tired traveller doesn't want to have to chew too long? ) It might be better, if you chose a set of fixed ingredients.

Look out for a hobbit speciality, something which cannot be purchased somewhere else. Maybe the meat of that hobbit pig is so different in the taste or easy to digest (read it up, if that could be possible)

Have you considered to do a special pie? For pies are tied to Hobbits, though of course other races cook them as well (but not as well as the halflings). A pie you could take with you the next day and eat cold as well, an easy meal for a wanderer.

I know, that's a lot I gave you to think over, but I hope it helped, even when it looks that you need to restart.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 April 2010, 06:32:11 »

Ahh great input Talia! I'll get to work on it soon, I'll hopefully have it completely redone by the end of the week, if not sooner.

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 April 2010, 06:49:38 »

I don't know whether this is helpful, but a 'hobbit pig' was actually being developed at one time: the hogling. The entry is all but finished, although it sadly hasn't made it into the compendium yet, as the developer, Mannix, vanished about a year ago. But maybe a reference to hoglings would help to 'hobbitize' the entry? Check the usages section for Mannix' ideas on culinary uses. (It would probably be a good idea not to contradict Mannix's ideas in your own entry.)

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 21 April 2010, 16:09:17 »

Thanks Shaba! I thought it is already on the site!  speechless

Agran, that is just an idea or a proposal, no need to take it:

While I was doing something else, my mind wandered to your wanderer's meal...
What if we take your lore has a real grain of truth..  would it not take too long to prepare a whole meal, roast meat over a fire for hours? I thought it had to be a meal which was fairly quickly done. Why not take various leftovers - some cooked meat, some vegetables, fresh or also already cooked, and throw it on or in some dough, maybe the one which does not need much time to rise... and voila you have your Santharian pizza , here called wanderer's  meal. You could even have it cold the next day on your way...

Of course a soup before could be essential and some sweets afterwards, for a hobbit anyway.

What about that? Fairly away of your original idea of a good meal with lots of fresh meat, it is up to you, if you want to take it! No need to do so :)

Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 25 April 2010, 00:11:20 »

Okay, I edited, I know it still looks alot like the original...because it is. I didn't make many changes, because I prefer how it is now. One can add bits and pieces, and change types, all they want, but the Wanderer's Hot Meal is best, because you share it with fine company. With a mug of ale or two, you tell stories of your travels, sing a song or recite a poem you overhead in Barvados, repeat a legend of an evil in the far North, all around the fire with the warm-hearted Hobbits. It isn't so much as what the meal has to eat, but who you have to eat with.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 25 April 2010, 00:12:38 »

Then instead of creating a receipt, create a custom or tradition. ;)

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 25 April 2010, 00:13:36 »

Hmm...that would be better. Excuse me while I draw up the template.

Seeker

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 May 2010, 04:24:54 »

A new thread has been opened for the Wanderers Hot Meal.  Thereofore this one is locked.

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]