Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Demonology Revision?  (Read 3391 times)
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 17

View Profile
« on: 28 May 2010, 04:43:28 »

A notice is left in the halls of the Magic Development Wing

Dear moderators of the Magic Development forum, I, Agran Velion, request permission to redo the Demonology Rituals section of the Compendium. I understand magic is not recommended for newbies, but I am not neccissary new to the concept of demonology. I understand if I am considered too inexperienced for this task, but I request that it be done by someone, for a world with demons and not much info on demonology seems to be a little unbalanced (but perhaps less chaotic, seeing as how most demons are kept in their own world without demonologists to unleash them).

Sincerely

Apprentice Agran Velion
« Last Edit: 28 May 2010, 04:54:23 by Agran Velion » Logged

"Vhodka is wonderful..."-Agran Velion
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 28 May 2010, 07:13:15 »

Demonology exists in Santharia, as we do have various researchers in that area. There has been discussion in the past how demons are summoned. The general consensus is that while the rituals are not defined, the ability to summon demons is within the skill of both magi and clerics. One of our magic mods, Fox, is looking to develop demonology as a major area within Thalambathian magic arts. She is the one to clarify the status. Rayne also wrote up a summoning magic entry long ago which I tried to encourage the magic boards to finish, but alas, no one seems to think it is a priority.  undecided

See this link for more discussion. It's pretty deep stuff, probably not for a newbie to magic.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 May 2010, 07:34:18 »

Perhaps you're right Azhira, I was going for the concept of Demonology more than the rituals themselves (not good for a newbie to magic as you say) but I was thinking demonology as something along the lines of the Bartimaeus trilogy, where a demon is summoned, and provided there are no mistakes in summoning, it is tasked to carry out a...task (Haha tasked to a task!), rather than using Ecua and Xeua magic. This would be done by certain incantations written in the summoning to help in the summoning.

Example (provided words would be Styrash)
 rethán [Insert demon type or name] (Come [whatever demon is)

Would be written in a summoning circle or rune or what have you. That would be a very simple, quick, and dangerous summoning, whereas

Example 2 (Advance)
iú thamán queí ác rethán [Demon name/type] (I order you to come [Demon])

Offers more security against demon, so it could be done by a lesser demonologist, but its easier to mess up if not written and said correctly. (Orders of protection and such could be said and written)

Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 May 2010, 10:59:38 »

While I do plan on a form of demonology for Thalambath, it should be noted that Talia is the principle demon handler and that you'd have to go through her in terms of creating a 'general' demonology system.

@Agran: That kind of ritual wouldn't work for the Ximaxian system, and Ximaxian summoning doesn't work that way. Thalambath magic however will be using something similar in terms of heavy use of reagents, wording, circles of power, and so on.
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 May 2010, 11:05:57 »

Ahh very well. *Stamps massive IDEA DENIED on idea*

As the agreement for my contract states, I am given massive ideas by the workers in my brain and since I don't want them to go to waste, I give them to Santharia, even if I am not skilled enough. Better a rejected idea than one never heard.

You can find said agreement on page 3,789, section 3, subsection 9, paragraph 12. See  read

Note: Failure to apply to terms of contract may result in...mafia style handling.

police Capito? police

Fox

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 May 2010, 11:13:21 »

It's not so much denied as just not being applicable with our main magic system. :) As I said though, a similar thing *is* planned, just my time is fairly limited these days.

Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 May 2010, 11:15:07 »

*Stamps Idea not applicable for main magic system, but IS being planned on idea*

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 May 2010, 11:22:59 »

Hrm...

Agran, you do know we have a demon entry that could use some revision. It's quite bare at the moment and needs additional work.

The Téi'Hái demon (with a Seeker pic!)

Perhaps you could look at tweaking it? Maybe add some of your ideas to the entry? You have to start somewhere so may as well be there. Perhaps without getting too specific on rituals, you could add a bit here and there and maybe Fox could use it. Or I could use it in a clerical system.

I also know the other Cosmology mod happens to be open-minded...and she could help convince Talia to start concepts for demonology.  ;)

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 May 2010, 11:33:26 »

*Scans entry* "My my...this is interesting, and my mind is bursting with ideas for it!"

I am reminded of my old introduction thread where it was you who told me to revise the entry on the Alth'tiert. Is there a reason for me to say that? No, but I'm like Ducky from NCIS if you've ever seen it.

Sparkle
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2010, 08:09:53 »

Try this link and read some:

http://www.sacred-texts.com/grim/lks/index.htm

Really, the Bartimaeus summoning was complex and they did have to read old, musty, tomes like that one. The books just never went into the details. I love that they have a part called The General Curse, Called the Spirits' Chain, Against All Spirits That Rebel. Poor Bartimaeus  ;)

Here and there, whole mighty trees glowed with an emitted phosphorescent light. You could trace the very course of the great roots in the earth by a faint light that came through; and every twig, and every vein on every leaf was a streak of pale fire.
George MacDonald, Phantastes
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]