Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: A Santharian Postal System.  (Read 3091 times)
Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« on: 01 June 2010, 11:01:58 »

Hello all!  grin

I have been very interested and have been researching into the idea of a Santharian Postal System since before my absence, and i have numerous ideas on how to employ such a service. Very basic Terran systems of post started cropping up in Egypt around 2400bc, so I assume a Time-Period issue should not be a big concern. I have scanned the Dev side for some signs of prior discussion, but I have not found anything as of yet. Of course the System would be based within the Santharian Kingdom, however im sure a Fed-Ex to the northern wastes could be achievable with suitable payment. :P

I would very much like to pursue an entry in this area, but as it is a rather general one,  I would really like your thoughts and views before embarking on it.

Cheers!

P.

___________"In the pursuit of happiness,___________
 the difficulty lies in knowing when you have caught up."

Petros Greenvale
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 17

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 01 June 2010, 11:30:29 »

Hmm...perhaps certain people could carry messages for certain fees? Although not bloody and full of glory, I could see mercenaries carrying messages for good enough payment, so rather than an official system, I could see freelancers doing this (althoug the thought of a company doing this as proffesionals is entirely possible too).

"Vhodka is wonderful..."-Agran Velion
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 01 June 2010, 11:51:12 »

Typically traders would carry messages. They get around after all.

But if you want to make it official, I recommend putting an office in the capitals and other major cities and sending mail for anywhere in that province to one of these offices. Send it to the nearest office to it's point of origin first. Then from there onto the office closest to it's destination with the least travel time. Repeat until you reach an office that can send it to the destination by messenger or with a trader. Maybe certain traders are sanctioned to perform this duty. If, as a message travels from one office to another, it passes it's destination it can be delivered.

So If I wanted to get a message from Santhala to Fang Julin, over in the tip of Manthria, it'd go from Santhala to Marcogg (or maybe Chondra first). From Marcogg down to Klinsor, possibly by way of the Ria? And from Klinsor to Ciosa by boat before arriving and Fang Julin by trader or messenger.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 01 June 2010, 13:03:09 »

Hooray!!! Only like five minutes posted and i already have great ideas! Haha! Thanks for the gold guys!  :P

Yes, I did presume that there would be traders and travelling mercenaries that would pass a message whether orally or by written letters, so I thought that a commercial Santharian Postal System would be quite modernly "class based". A state run enterprise (with direct approval of the Santhran of course!)  would deliver letters handed in at post offices located in major cities or post boxes located in most towns. A stamp would indicate the class of delivery. For instance if i could only afford a 2 san stamp my letter would be delivered by 4th class, which would include freelance traders and mercenaries that would be hired by the state for this purpose, delivery not guaranteed. However if i stamped first class my letter would be delivered by trained courier, within a much shorter time-frame and with a more secure delivery guarantee. I also considered a Santharian "Air-Mail" where letters are sent via carrier pigeon. Wether delivery requires Sea/Land/air/(magical?) travel would also decide the final fee.

Delivery to other continents will be a little more tricky, and would rely on a private courier specifically departing for said continent. But the purpose of a state approved postal service is to organise these services for the customer upon purchase, saving on contact time, so this organisation will be done behind the counter rather than the sender.

Also gives an opportunity to design stamps!!! *The Joys* grin heart
« Last Edit: 01 June 2010, 13:06:56 by Petros Greenvale » Logged

Petros Greenvale
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 01 June 2010, 13:23:22 »

Keeping in mind this would be an exclusively human practice. Dwarves can communicate (at least some tribes) using bats, we have entangled mushrooms, Coor knows what the elves could think up?

Official (government type) business could be carried by one of the Santhran's Orders. A Knight of Armeros, a White Knight or a Seyelite I think, depending on what it is and where it's going.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 01 June 2010, 19:38:51 »

This is an idea that would really be worth looking into.

In a kingdom such as Santharia, it makes sense to me to have a state-run postal carrier system. Perhaps one of the provinces or noble houses would be the chief owners and/or investors in such an enterprise. I would think that a tribe with a well known history with horses would be good, given that messengers would need to know how to handle and ride a horse in many kinds of terrain and weather. The Centoraurians come to mind?

And as Valan said, this would be mostly a human practice, as other races (Brownies may have a similar concept using the Arrowhead goose). I like the idea of elves using magic to send their messages. Maybe wind magic? Some races could use the human postal system like gnomes or Zirghurim, who may live among humans.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 01 June 2010, 20:43:23 »

Avoiding the use of words such as 'office', 'postal', 'mail' and certainly 'stamp' would be key to making this a unique and Santharian enterprise.

Though the suggestion has never been formalized, we have mentioned and referenced royal couriers and a sort of delivery system involving both horses and wagons.  I do believe I did a horse messenger picture at one point....

My suggestions:  start from scratch to envision a truly fantasy, medieval-feeling, organically-developed type of way to transfer messages and small packets between non-merchants (because merchants merely use the existing trade routes and infrastructure.  Which is not to say that private citizens couldn't use it as well... which might mean that some enterprising merchant was the one to begin charging people who asked him to 'send along a note to Granny at the crossroads'.....see what I mean about organic?  Let it develop WITHIN the existing universe rather than trying to work out a top-down system that you've designed in detail and then imposed upon Santharia...)

Language that might work better:

Couriers / Post Messengers / Royal Messengers / Merchant Riders

Courierdens / Post-inns / Post Waystations / Riders' Outlets

Postmarks / Postseals / Courvals (short for Courier's Validation Seals, which every official rider carries in his/her messenger bag and uses to mark proof of payment....)  / Santhekets (small tags which are tied firmly to the parcel which contain the intended recipient's name, an indication of where she might be found, and the cost of delivery.   If this last is deliberately left blank, the recipient must pay to retrieve his parcel from the courier's hands - or forfeit whatever he has been sent....)

Posthorses / Postwains / Couriermounts/ Messagewains /

And so on. 

Perhaps these suggestions may spark further interest and creativity?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 June 2010, 23:12:11 »

I think a stamp is legit, but maybe not the rest of them. Although to Santh it you may want to have "seal" or some such thing.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 16

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 June 2010, 23:20:46 »

You could have a system whereby the state designates certain areas to the service of noble families e.g. in England the state runs the train system. However, they have privatised the system, meaning although they own the system, each area is run by a company.

Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 June 2010, 00:06:13 »

The aforementioned picture.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 02 June 2010, 04:44:51 »

Picture is still not integrated, so maybe if an entry comes out of this, it could finally make it on site...

Couriers indeed have been mentioned BTW in multiple places, Eyrin in the Avaesthoría book I started a while ago is also a courier working for the Santhran. So I guess you could say the idea was there's an official courier system existing throughout the kingdom, the couriers carry important messages at least for the governing people and change horses at the various stations on their way.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 June 2010, 08:45:06 »

Don't forget about the Wynd Racer bird, used as a source of communication between Santharian researchers!
Usages. The Wynd Racer, likes its cousins in the past, the coa’coa bird, is mainly used for humans to be able to communicate with one another over long distances in a short period of time.

Kli’ven Poul has discovered records dating as far back as 4.000 b.S. as to how the coa’coa’s were used by kings and leaders of the ancient kingdoms of Sarvonia to communicate in times of war with their generals. However, unlike the Wynd Racer the coa’coa’s did not have the speed or endurance and often the birds would get lost along with their messages if the distances were too long.

Another usage of the Wynd Racer is for food. During times of famine or even the very poor will kill these birds and use them for food. There were cooks who have been known to come up with a recipe for the very young ones, two years or younger, and serve them as a delicacy to the nobility or affluent. This cooked bird is called a “Squab”.

Their droppings upon the cities statues and other important buildings have created a work force of men and women who scrape the droppings into large vats and then sell these vats to farmers who, along with their own animal’s droppings, spread and mix it with their soil to create a very rich and fertile growing field.

Wynd Racer feathers are also used by the amantry industry in towns like Lorehaven because of their natural beauty and myriad of colours.

The last usage and probably the most fun is the annual Santharian Wynd Race. Here nobles, affluent and even common bird fanciers put up wages to see what bird they own will outrace the others back to their homes. The winner receives a Goldbard and a trophy with ruby eyes in the shape of the Wynd Racer.

The race has been modified each year by going longer distances, or releasing the birds at night or both. The record goes to a Cyhalloian Snow named “Spirit” for a distance of 990 furlays in 22 days for a speed of a little over 45 furlays an hour. 

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Petros Greenvale
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 June 2010, 07:43:59 »

Thanks ever so much for all your comments guys, its given me alot to think about!!!!! grin hug *Petros Mega-Huggles everyone and passes round gifts of home-baking*

I did originally intend to incorporate all previous courier systems, and thanks to your pointers I have now got solid grounds of research such as the Wynd Racer, Royal Couriers and Traders with Wagons.

@Judith:
Let it develop WITHIN the existing universe rather than trying to work out a top-down system that you've designed in detail and then imposed upon Santharia...
I am guilty as charged, as I usually conceive a concept, then research and see how I can impose it upon Santharia. This is totally the wrong way to go about creating entries and I realise that my ideas will become more fluid, original and easier to write if I build the pyramid from the bottom. *Petros "accidentally" pushes the big red "MENTOR SYSTEM RESTART" button and clings onto Judy.* :P

I will Post a very skeletal entry either tomorrow or the day after, so Ya'll can see what kind of stuff i'm larking on about.

Thank you for your time guys! Enjoy your cake! grin

Petros Greenvale
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 June 2010, 13:22:34 »

Thank you for your time guys! Enjoy your cake

Haggis flavoured cake.  Muahahahahaha :P

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1084
Latest: reatha16
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 109
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 88
Total: 88

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!