Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: Chelonae ~ Island of the Void (Master Dev Thread)  (Read 7744 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 11 June 2010, 06:00:52 »

there was also that episode of DS9 where Dax and co found this world that was in their phase of existence for a while and then phased to another phase of reality for most of their existence. Dax fell in love with one of the guys from that world and wanted to stay with them until it was discovered that her presence was destabilising the place's attempt to phase. I don't know ... maybe something like that can help here.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 15 June 2010, 02:50:02 »

Stupid question: Why exactly do they need to be dark skinned? Or do you just like the complexion, Alt?

Ordion live in this region, though there's not much development going on there right now, and I didn't see anything mentioned about "magic" in the entry. They live in the northwest of Aeruillin, but ideally we'd need a tribe that is more on the southwestern side. Maybe this could be Ordions who dabble more in magic, or attempt to tame the Void energies to a certain degree. Or at any rate: Are closer to what we need on the island eventually. This should be elaborated better to make the distinction clearer, in order to prepare what kind of people we then have on the island and do their job there.

What kind of magic they do exactly and how they do it, and how the island can be seen further up north etc. needs to be roughly explained next. If there are powerful magicians with strong willpower they could perhaps will the island elsewhere, though if their joint forces aren't given anymore they might get sucked into the Void, so that could be why protectors are needed. Maybe the protectors fear the Void, and others see it as their ultimate salvation - to let loose of reality, so there might be reasons why antagonisms exist.

However, I discourage to go the LOST way with such references to the "heart of the island/the light" or "the darkness", and bend it more in the magical direction, maybe give the island's existence a very clear purpose for the protectors why they need to save it from oblivion, why they need these powers the island possesses.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 15 June 2010, 10:14:33 »

The only stupid question is the one not asked. :)  They don't have to be dark skinned.  I just like the idea of it if we are putting this in a tropical jungle type setting.  And I don't think there are enough dark skinned tribes.  It makes them that much more exotic, compared to our majority light skinned medieval tribes.

Okay, if the Ordion did inhabit this island, and this island was dragged into the void, if the island was expelled from the void, could the forces that acted on the island bestow magic upon the Voulla?  I like your thinking that the void could still suck it back in.  Maybe the island getting loose from the voisd is such an abberation, that nature wants to balance it out and the Voulla are constantly having to be vigilant against it.

As far as the magic the Voulla have now, I'd like Azhira to think up on this.  I'm no magic expert, but Azhira is.

I want to stay away from "Lost" as much as possible.  No, no herart of the island stuff.

Just a question:  What is outside the void?  Is there an intelligence outside there?

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 15 June 2010, 11:30:09 »

it is us ... isn't it? Although how much we can ascribe intelligence to us, I'm not sure. :D evil

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 16 June 2010, 03:13:41 »

What is outside the Void? Well, that's a good question, and the uncertainty of it might cause beliefs on the island to clash.

Just like the question: What happens after you die? Some might say: You get judged, or you are reborn, others might say death is the end of everything and all that counts is what's here. From these varying perspectives you actually determine what your life is, even though you've never actually experienced death on your own. But if you belief that the "other side" means something, your life here gets a whole different meaning. So its the uncertainty what makes things so interesting. And the convictions can become extremely strong.

Uncertainty on what lies beyond is also what determines the struggle on the island I assume. Some on the island might want to see the island get sucked in, others try to prevent it at any cost due to their convictions. Though technically one could just walk into the Void if you're not on the island, if you travel all the way south in Aeruillin. So that poses a bit of a problem to explain this why there's so much ado on the island about this. Maybe the tribes on the island actually don't know anymore how the island was created and the battle for the island has been going on for generations and nobody really knows what it's about. Though yes, that's way too much LOST, even though this approach makes much more sense than the series ever managed to achieve. We need to think more about this.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 17 June 2010, 08:36:14 »

A new magic system? Oh dear. Let's put that one off for a bit. That will require intensive thinking and plotting...both of which I don't have right now.  :P I am working on mythology of the island. Fortunately, I have never seen much of Lost to be inspired by it, so maybe I can have something fresh.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 17 June 2010, 09:12:27 »

Wasn't thinking a new magic system, really.

What kind of Mythology?  Shouldn't we have the basics ironed out before anyone goes running ahead and either a) wastes their time, or b) forces the rest of us to go in a direction we really don't want?

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 20 June 2010, 16:21:09 »

Correct me if I am wrong, but can't sentient beings/magic users/Weavers make stuff ou of the Void? So could there be a theory that Chelonae was never part of the "World" but in fact is the result of a spell in the Void gone wrong, or something? Just brainstorming ideas.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 22 June 2010, 02:37:02 »

The Weavers, well of course! Great suggestion, Athviaro! thumbup

I think the idea of the Weavers (or Old Weavers) and their extremely powerful kind of magic is pretty much what we'd really need here to make this happen. For all interested, make sure to check out the entries on the Weavers and the City of Delonaire to get the idea what these guys are all about. I need to read these entries myself in detail to know what we could do here, but I think the potential is there. Maybe my brainstormy ideas contradict what is already on the site regarding the Weavers, but let's try.

Ideas like the Weavers and passageways that connect space and time in the various ways aren't entirely uncommon in fantasy worlds, I guess you encounter similar concepts in the Wheel of Time, but also at Feist o Weis and Hickman in the Death Gate cylce, though I'm not that familiar with what their concepts were exactly. Which doesn't hurt, as we'd need to give this our own spin anyway.

But lets say that Weavers could/can create time/space rifts or black holes of sorts, whatever you want to call them, and that one can pass through them. The passages are called the "Web", as it links everything, and as the start and end point need to be in reality, the passages might more be of the realm of "possibility". So it could be that the Web uses the Void properties to make traversing realities possible.

Maybe our island could be the very source of why Weavers exist! Because the island was swallowed by the Void, so possibility took over. Maybe mages who dabbled with reality and possibility were on the island to study these occurences and thus developed the magic of weaving on this very spot.

The island would then be the nexus, as the place between reality and possibility, and the weavers need to keep it all in balance. They could lose the island to reality or possibility/Void, that's why the island warps to other places in time and space in order to escape a reality. Through the nexus they can influence reality and possibility, e.g. the City of Delonaire could be a Void city which is only possible to access through the nexus. So the purpose of the weavers on the island would be to make sure to keep the balance, and thus they need to protect it at any cost. No power shift is allowed on the island, because if someone wants to dominate the island, it might lose its powers in reality or get sucked back into the Void into possibility.

That's a rough concept for now at least what I could make out of the Weavers idea...

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 22 June 2010, 04:22:26 »

A few quick thoughts from me, while passing by ;) Warning, no spellcheck, text is too long, too many quotes etc..

Azhira
Mythology

We can't just pluck a floating island out of nowhere. A semi-mythical background is essential to explaining the nature and purpose of the island. I feel that the island should have an origin somewhere in the far past. I personally like the myth that it appeared from the Ethereal Void somewhere in the far South. The Void is a perfect excuse to create people and things far removed from current Caelereth knowledge. I created the Mists as a way to create strange, twisted things, places and people that wouldn't ordinarily fit anywhere else. The Void is wide open to all sorts of strange myth and it would explain the uniqueness of the island and its inhabitants.

Purpose

I like Alt's generalization. I like the idea that the island is a removed place that only certain people in certain situations ever get to visit. If everyone visited the island, then there would be nothing mythical about it! If everyone visited the Mists, then what mystery would there be? The island opens itself to unique and special individuals and only a small handful of information ever gets out. Those that do visit the island finds a paradise never before seen.

Goodly folk who visit the island find a fascinating place to rest and study. Perhaps evil people may want to take advantage of the island and its people. I don't feel that the island's natives have a choice in the matter of who comes and goes. I think the island itself should be "alive" of sorts.

[/size]

I agree with most points here, the island has to be described as something unreal, but everyone believes in it nevertheless.

Altario

Mythology

I agree with Azhira.  The mythology is almost central to this.  This isn't a place you go visit and hear mythical stories about.  The place is the myth. (see Location)

Purpose

Again, I agree with Azhira who agrees with me.  If it has a purpose, it should be speculated about, but nothing can be concrete because just not enough people have been able to get information on it.  They visit for a time, the Biou friendly and helpful, but always hinting that they should leave.  That "bad things" will happen if they do not.  The bad things, of course, are the Voulla.

I think the island should be seen everywhere water currents can take it.  This is not a competitor to the mists in any way.  It isn't a place that is static.  It floats everywhere, but is non intrusive.  Remember, this is not a place that is found once a year or more, maybe once in a generation.  If it were a real floating island, in order to travel the entire surface of the disk would take years and years.  And not everytime it passed by the north would people have found it.  You could specifically state that no one from Cael'her'oth (sp) has ever encountered it.  I don't want everytribe to have seen it, but enough of a diversity that it adds to the myth.  The fact that is so rarely seen means that it won't be particularly associated with any one place or any one people.  I would like an Antislar story about it, just as I would any other tribe.  I have story ideas already in my head for this.  Can you imagine the wonder of a far northerner whose ship is about to sink after hitting an iceberg, all fearing they are going to die in the icy water, then washing up on some sandy beach with a green jungle and short sleeve weather?  We can state that it is more frequently discovered in southern waters, whether because it is found there more or because southern waters have much more ships than the north, either one is plausible.  Because the Island is magical, weather on it does not have to be related to weather outside of it.

[/size]

Agree mostly

Agran
I think its movements should either be completely random, or, so complicated its nearly impossible to track it (like the island on Lost). Every day it should change. If someone were to record the days and locations of the island, it'd go like this.

Thats the more accurate timeline. I was seeing it as if someone was recording and they were ON the island. I was focusing more on how the location changed so much rather than WHEN it changed.  Perhaps the island 'shifts' out of the reality (or our plane of existence), although I doubt this would be accepted, perhaps, if there are no people on the island (other than its normal inhabitats) it can go through the time? If we were the inhabitats and recording what happened it could go like this.
[/size]

M'ruk
I think there's another question to be answered here. If the island's a paradise, why would people leave?
Alt
Well, they are encouraged to leave by the Biou, backed up by the Voulla.  Secondly, just because the island is a beautiful paradise, no one else lives there.  It's small.  Most people have people and places to go home to.

If I have understood it right, then the Voulla do not appear too often, the Biou are the one with whom the people deal, whom they mostly encounter. So , as the island is mysterious anyway, there could be a feeling of uneasiness arise, if one stays there too long, an uncertainty, maybe triggered by the rare sight of the Voulla (see my proposal later on.)

Artimidor
We need to know first where the island comes from and why and how it exists. And which people live there and why is another matter that has to be based on that general idea.

Now the mythology of the island should of course have the mystery element in it, because if we'd know everything about it, it wouldn't be much of a myth. So I'd say: We should have a mythical outline on its genesis and the basic things regarding the why, where and how (developer's view), and in the entry this main theory could be heavily contested by various witnesses, researchers etc., because they have their own ideas on that myth. That's the main thing about a myth that nobody knows for sure, and if we present different sides of things that could explain the phenomenon or contribute to a side of its explanation, the whole thing gets anchored nicely into the world, from different perspective, while we have the main developer's view and can answer things for us whenever we need it.
[/size]

speechless

So, main mythology on the genesis of the island: Personally I favour that idea Azhira also put forward to connect it with the Ethereal Void. The Void is magical, is a borderline region between dream and reality, and if the island comes from the southern Void it could be pretty much be a tropical setting.
[/size]

It could be that a powerful weaver tried e.g. to enter the Void from a very distant location and ripped a piece of it actually out of it. Maybe that piece of land flashes in and out of reality, because it cannot be held at that spot where he tried to move it, so that it actually moves back into the Void and gets out of it again (that could be its day/night cycle).

If the island is Void related we'd also have Dream and reality clash a bit, so it wouldn't be just a regular island floating around, there would be Dream/magic inherent in it, question would be of course how it could be harnessed etc. You can play around with time as well in such a concept, as the Void's concept as a dream region (link between reality and possibility) could exist out of time. So you could leave the island at a different time, in the past or the future. That's just a rough idea, which is however very LOSTish, and therefore not so brilliant.
[/size]

Altario

Arti, the land masses are pushing outward from what I remember of those maps Talia sent me.  Aurellian (sp) is smaller now than it used to be.  What happens when it enters the void?  What if there was an island, normal enough, that got pushed to the edge of the void.  The Voulla, who practiced magic, saw trhe danger and combined their powers to pull their island away/out of the void?

[/size]
Art

An island could drift into the Void, quite literally. It could be that due to the fact that the physical reality doesn't dominate anymore, possibility takes over and the island can be sucked into the realm of possibilities. So it might be that people lived there and that the influence of the Void became stronger and stronger, yup. 

So yeah, there's a chance to explain it from that angle, definitely beats the magician idea, though we'd still need further details.
[/size]

I like those last ideas very much, especially because I had them (some) as well, before I read all the stuff! I favour very much the idea of the island near the main continent of Aeruillin, which vanished in the Void and was recued in a way. (weavers who did not want that this special culture got lost?) I prefer though the idea, that NOW it vanishes, slips in realitiy and out randomly, not guided by any weavers (are they still somehow existent? need to reread that entry also).

Summary, how I would like to have it, if it would be my work: (developer's view)

The island once belonged to Aeruillin, but drifted into the void. The weavers/one weaver didn't want to allow this and pushed it back, but
- somethign went wrong, and so it's presence is unstable
- he wanted it like this

Now the island shifts out of reality to another plane of existence (the void is only at the rim of our world, so how should it get there?). It could theoretically appear  in the North at one day, in the South at the next, it could flow with the time, or bring somebody back in time as well (that could trigger interesting things, but if this is too close to LOST, which I do not know, then maybe we should avoid it)

The idea ith other planes of existence is already given with the Island of Mythe, I would prefer this to the idea of something outside the Void-shell (the area where the world/disk melts with the outside , which is called void also, but "Nothingness" as well)

That staying in reality of the island can be as long as desired - but maybe most times a mist is surrounding the island and only rarely another coast can be seen. So, even if it has drfted into that other plane, it does not hurt. Maybe those who want to leave the island find themselves on a foreign (or wellkown) shore, when they wake up? This way, that could even have the impression, that they have stayed in a kind of dream... For some a lot of time could have passed till they get back to their lands, or maybe the time flows quicker on the island, and only a few days are missing, though the visitors had the impression, they stayed for years?

But that is deveoper's view!

What we can know is only what those few who came back over the centuries told us, and that might be mostly normal people, not well educated. They may exaggerate, tell wrong things, coloured by their own upbringing.

That brings me to think, how all those stories should be organised - if it is possible at all, to make normal entries about plants, beasts, even about the people there? All what we have can  only  be fragmentary. Maybe a book of tales about Chelonae would be better. I mean, a normal sailor would not look at the center of a flower and use the right name for it, but just say, it was blue, had three petals only.

To the people there and from whom they could stem.

I had for a long time a double tribe in mind which could fit, if you want to relate it to an existing (or planned) tribe at all. They could be just different people, derived from one of the first tribes who migrated there. But, if you like to link them - they could have common anchestors.

That's from the Aeruillin tribe overview in the Aeruillin forum:

THE DJI'AAH-KIRRU - Dark Sea of Aegyslam-The Bright Sea-Dunes of Thiva-Thybross

The Djeaah-Kirru is one of the most peculiar tribes in Aeruillin and maybe in the whole of Caelereth. They inhabit the land between the Bright Sea and the Dark Sea of Aegyslam, the Djeaah living at the coastal forest , their houses built in the water, the  Kirru in the dry inner of the region, down till Thybross.

Both tribes  assure, that they are one tribe, though Djeaah and Kirru are not only looking so different, but have a different built society , their territory cant differ more regarding climat and general conditions, the Djeaa are fisher, the Kirru farmer. But what distinguish them most, is their way of life. Where the Kirru have a hard life as farmers in a  desert -like region, the Djeaa live in abundance without having to work hard - or at all. This affects their personality, but this has to  be described in detail later. What they have in common, is their religion, and more, but that we dont know yet. A lot of research is still needed, till we only begin to understand this people.

The Kirru are meant to be a tribe with tall, strongly built people with very black skin. Living in the desert, they are hard working people, full of honour, proud, agile, very aware of their lifes. They could stand for the Voulla.
The soft Djeaah are smaller in stature, gentle, have a lighter skin, ranging from a light coffee to chocolate brown, beatiful bodies everyone. As they don't have to work for their living (fish are easily caught and fruit harvested in abundance), they have an easy life, are friendly, but do not care much for each other, because they never had to. ..  Anchester worship.

Well , as your people are now another tribe anyway, that should be enough. They would fit better than the Ordion.

time is running... I'm here till Wednesday.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 22 June 2010, 04:29:41 »

Oooh... very good comments, Talia.  I'll do some digging into those tribes you mentioned.  Thank you. :)  Hopefully when you come back, you can join our little cabal of island devers.

Miraran Tehuriden
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 61

Creator Of .. well, not much, recently

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 23 June 2010, 21:07:43 »

I could have missed this in my glancing through this discussion, but have you considered what sources of information you're going to have concerning this island? From the looks of it, it's not going to be much.

(This came to mind when Azhira suggested to name the first Magical Mystery Mea.. erh, Island's turtle Ramdu-turtle, 'just for me'. I realised it was highly unlikely for us ever to learn enough about this island to describe even the most obvious of species.)

((On an unrelated note, i am SO writing a Humongous Island-Sized Turtle species now. And i'm calling it "Ramdu, too. ))

Avrah Kehabhra

"The whole POINT of Nybelmar is that no one has any idea whats going on, overly long entries keep it that way." - Decipher Ziron
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24 June 2010, 01:31:24 »

Very true, Mira.. and I have considered it.  They might have to be developed as a Dev entry , then converted to what might have been observed in notes over the years.. purposely sketchy and innacurate.  As well, we could do a Galapagos on existing species, taking plants and animals that would be recognizable but changed because of the island; different colours, size, etc.  Animals that would not be found together on the disk, but somehow manage to survive on the island.  For example, the same person who spots a Rahaz-Ester like creature finds it having just killed a Thunderfoot type creature.

Eh, stuff that can be discussed later on.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #43 on: 01 July 2010, 04:08:44 »

@Mira and also @Talia concerning the sources of information regarding the island: Myths, lore, whatever you wish to call it. The point would be not to confirm the developer's point of view in an entry. But there could be e.g. a researcher who collected lores from all over the world. Then something happened that caught his/her attention: There are very similar stories about such a place in all kinds of continents/climates etc. Then that person thought: Hmmm... let's see what these tales have in common, so through comparison there might be a semi-conclusion that there's more to that island than just a tale here and there, that it might actually exist somehow.

The researcher then might enter the field of speculation and bring up some theories that help to explain things. One such theory would be close to the developer's view, and a lot of other (from our side already) debunked theories could be presented in the speculative entry on the island. So in other words: It's actually good that there are various proposals/ideas surrounding the island, even if we don't use them as the key theory. We can always use them for a speculative entry and even point out obvious flaws - and the importance of the myth grows only stronger with every problematic theory.

That said, I'd like to point to my last post with the nexus idea, as there wasn't a comment on that one so far. And I think the basic idea isn't half that bad. Would like to have some thoughts on this, as weaverish ideas could be quite fascinating in this respect. If we do it properly we could actually unearth deep secrets of these mysterious mages with this island, even though or especially because they didn't actually create it. Maybe... :)

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1099
Latest: bllaolsns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 68
Online Ever: 700
(23 January 2020, 20:05:39)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 84
Total: 84

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)