Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: Chelonae ~ Island of the Void (Master Dev Thread)  (Read 8305 times)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 June 2010, 08:21:14 »

Name

I voted Chelonae because is sounded greek and I'm a history buff. :)

Mythology

I agree with Azhira.  The mythology is almost central to this.  This isn't a place you go visit and hear mythical stories about.  The place is the myth. (see Location)

Purpose

Again, I agree with Azhira who agrees with me.  If it has a purpose, it should be speculated about, but nothing can be concrete because just not enough people have been able to get information on it.  They visit for a time, the Biou friendly and helpful, but always hinting that they should leave.  That "bad things" will happen if they do not.  The bad things, of course, are the Voulla.

I think the island should be seen everywhere water currents can take it.  This is not a competitor to the mists in any way.  It isn't a place that is static.  It floats everywhere, but is non intrusive.  Remember, this is not a place that is found once a year or more, maybe once in a generation.  If it were a real floating island, in order to travel the entire surface of the disk would take years and years.  And not everytime it passed by the north would people have found it.  You could specifically state that no one from Cael'her'oth (sp) has ever encountered it.  I don't want everytribe to have seen it, but enough of a diversity that it adds to the myth.  The fact that is so rarely seen means that it won't be particularly associated with any one place or any one people.  I would like an Antislar story about it, just as I would any other tribe.  I have story ideas already in my head for this.  Can you imagine the wonder of a far northerner whose ship is about to sink after hitting an iceberg, all fearing they are going to die in the icy water, then washing up on some sandy beach with a green jungle and short sleeve weather?  We can state that it is more frequently discovered in southern waters, whether because it is found there more or because southern waters have much more ships than the north, either one is plausible.  Because the Island is magical, weather on it does not have to be related to weather outside of it.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 17

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 10 June 2010, 11:21:34 »

I think the island itself should be "alive" of sorts.

This reminds me so much of Lost...hmm *Thinks they should add two twin brothers that want to kill each other* Anyway, here my little rundown.

Name: I'm for Chelonae as well. It sounds Italian to me and it just rolls off the tongue.

Mythology-I'm with Alt for the Place IS the myth.

Purpose-...got nothing. Perhaps different cultures/tribes whose ancestors have seen the island have different speculations about its purpose?

I think its movements should either be completely random, or, so complicated its nearly impossible to track it (like the island on Lost). Every day it should change. If someone were to record the days and locations of the island, it'd go like this.

Day 1-Southern Santharia, I can see the desert.
Day 2-Bunch of Islands...not sure where I am.
Day 3-Coast of Nybelmar
Day 4-Ocean
Day 5-Ocean
Day 6-Northern Sarvonia
Day 7-Ocean
ETC

And thats just around the developed regions, what about all the other continents? I like the idea of the island just moving rapidly from place to place with no regard for the physical laws of the world.

"Vhodka is wonderful..."-Agran Velion
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2010, 12:11:32 »

Uhm... how can people track it?  You are putting in times that will never happen.  What is that Day 1-7 stuff?  A ship may find it in 1657, stay there a week, then leave and the island is not seen again for 12 years, but hundreds of Strals away from where the last ship found it.  You can't sit in your ship and follow it.  You don't have radar.  You can see out from it, but most of the time you'd just see open ocean, and if you did see land, it would just be on the horizon and difficult if not impossible to recognize as a specific spot.

This is more accurate.

769  First report of an island with a tribe called Biou of the southern coast of Strata

891 Mysterious island mentioned south of the Isles of Ram

1253 Pirate ship reports an island south of Ciosa

1589 An Antislar ship hits an iceberg, nearly goes under , but sailors claim they were saved when they landed on a green, warm island to make repairs

1664 An Avennorian merchant ship, becalmed for weeks, lands on a previously uncharted island.  Researcher ???? ?????, from the Compendium happened to be on board and took these first hand notes.  Upon his return to Santharia, further research has uncovered sketchy and unconfirmed reports by other ships over the years that bear striking resemblance to the Island Chelonae that he had experienced.  Consumed to the point of obsession, ???? has poured over thousands of seafares logs, journals, reports and rumours in order to piece together this sketchy picture of an island that seems to defy all logic by appearing in many different places over the years.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2010, 12:45:38 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 June 2010, 13:37:24 »

Thats the more accurate timeline. I was seeing it as if someone was recording and they were ON the island. I was focusing more on how the location changed so much rather than WHEN it changed.  Perhaps the island 'shifts' out of the reality (or our plane of existence), although I doubt this would be accepted, perhaps, if there are no people on the island (other than its normal inhabitats) it can go through the time? If we were the inhabitats and recording what happened it could go like this.

769  First report of an island with a tribe called Biou of the southern coast of Strata

891 Mysterious island mentioned south of the Isles of Ram

792 Pirate ship reports an island south of Ciosa

1589 An Antislar ship hits an iceberg, nearly goes under , but sailors claim they were saved when they landed on a green, warm island to make repairs

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 June 2010, 14:01:46 »

I'm confused Agran, if it was the inhabitants of the island recording others coming to their island, how would they know who the others were and the names of places that were north, south, east or west of their island? Why would they refer to themselves as 'a tribe called Biou'? The way you are describing it would be more likely to be done by strangers to the island who see it.

I believe that those on the island would be describing it from their point of view and to them the people coming to the island would be the strangers, not them.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 10 June 2010, 14:14:14 »

I was just using that as an example, to help understand the way/time the island moves.

M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 16

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 10 June 2010, 15:17:48 »

I think there's another question to be answered here. If the island's a paradise, why would people leave?

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 10 June 2010, 15:20:00 »

Well, they are encouraged to leave by the Biou, backed up by the Voulla.  Secondly, just because the island is a beautiful paradise, no one else lives there.  It's small.  Most people have people and places to go home to.
« Last Edit: 10 June 2010, 15:27:34 by Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin » Logged

Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 10 June 2010, 15:34:56 »

Ok, sorry, in my rush to get ideas down I think I messed up my point, so sorry about that Valan. I was saying that the stories give the Vuolla some serious powers, whether or not they have them. What's more, I tried writing that the Voulla may just act as conduits, so the power belongs to the island but is made manifest through the Voulla. Also, I find it hard to believe that sailors would call the island a source of the power - they would naturally attribute it to people (because that's human nature) and the secretive Voulla are the first choice for that.

Ok, I hope I clared that up.

And I don't think I know Redemption of Athalus, but I have read one of his few non-fantasy works, "The Losers".

Athviaro

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 11 June 2010, 02:03:36 »

We have several cool ideas posted now...we will need you Alt to start making some final decisions, even if small decisions, to go forward since it is your island concept.  cool I would gather the posted ideas and perhaps write up an overview of the island and its basic mythology to everyday Santharians in a compendiumist summary. It doesn't have to be final, but just enough to start basing other stuff from it. Once done, we can post it in my first post. Or, we can continue to toss ideas about until you get a comfortable picture.  thumbup

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #25 on: 11 June 2010, 04:36:48 »

A few things:

We definitely shouldn't start with who lives on the island and go back from there, cause in that case we'd begin with Dharma and the Others and end up with an Allison "Mother" Janney thingy like in LOST, who blatantly says: "Don't ask any more questions, as any question leads to another one." Which basically means: Just let's forget about what the island is.

We need to know first where the island comes from and why and how it exists. And which people live there and why is another matter that has to be based on that general idea.

Now the mythology of the island should of course have the mystery element in it, because if we'd know everything about it, it wouldn't be much of a myth. So I'd say: We should have a mythical outline on its genesis and the basic things regarding the why, where and how (developer's view), and in the entry this main theory could be heavily contested by various witnesses, researchers etc., because they have their own ideas on that myth. That's the main thing about a myth that nobody knows for sure, and if we present different sides of things that could explain the phenomenon or contribute to a side of its explanation, the whole thing gets anchored nicely into the world, from different perspective, while we have the main developer's view and can answer things for us whenever we need it.

So, main mythology on the genesis of the island: Personally I favour that idea Azhira also put forward to connect it with the Ethereal Void. The Void is magical, is a borderline region between dream and reality, and if the island comes from the southern Void it could be pretty much be a tropical setting.

It could be that a powerful mage tried e.g. to enter the Void from a very distant location and ripped a piece of it actually out of it. Maybe that piece of land flashes in and out of reality, because it cannot be held at that spot where he tried to move it, so that it actually moves back into the Void and gets out of it again (that could be its day/night cycle).

If the island is Void related we'd also have Dream and reality clash a bit, so it wouldn't be just a regular island floating around, there would be Dream/magic inherent in it, question would be of course how it could be harnessed etc. You can play around with time as well in such a concept, as the Void's concept as a dream region (link between reality and possibility) could exist out of time. So you could leave the island at a different time, in the past or the future. That's just a rough idea, which is however very LOSTish, and therefore not so brilliant.

In general we should be very careful not to get too close to a LOST scenario, we should wherever possible avoid similarities at all costs.

At any rate I guess that thinking along that mythology line is crucial to the whole concept, so I'd say we definitely need to start there, get that sorted out, and then think about what developed from there.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 11 June 2010, 04:46:57 »

I agree with Arti.  We need to work from the ground up.

#1 Question

Where is this island from and how did it come into being?

I, too, like the void theory.  I really don't want this to be a Santh Lost episode, however. 

Arti, the land masses are pushing outward from what I remember of those maps Talia sent me.  Aurellian (sp) is smaller now than it used to be.  What happens when it enters the void?  What if there was an island, normal enough, that got pushed to the edge of the void.  The Voulla, who practiced magic, saw trhe danger and combined their powers to pull their island away/out of the void?

Could that pluasibly explain the island?  I'd like to stay away from the cliche'd Ximaxian powerful mage tinkering with nature and having it blow up in his face scenario.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 11 June 2010, 05:08:18 »

The southern continent's name is Aeruillin. And while the landmass itself doesn't have any water in it, it is surrounded by water and islands could exist there. The transition between physical world and Void is a bit described in the Ethereal Void entry methinks, basically possibilities dominate over reality the further you enter the Void. The Memnoor Brownies live there on such a borderline and obviously manage to cope with it, taking advantage of the magical possibilities there.

An island could drift into the Void, quite literally. It could be that due to the fact that the physical reality doesn't dominate anymore, possibility takes over and the island can be sucked into the realm of possibilities. So it might be that people lived there and that the influence of the Void became stronger and stronger, yup.  thumbup

So yeah, there's a chance to explain it from that angle, definitely beats the magician idea, though we'd still need further details.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 11 June 2010, 05:18:10 »

Okay, so an Island off the coast of Aeruillin gets sucked into the void, then is pulled out by the magical Voulla.  The properties of the void have taken the island somewhat out of time and space, allowing it to "float" freely in the oceans of the disk.  Now, to look up people from Aeruillin to tie the Voulla and Biou to.

I know the Kanapan are dark skinned.  Are there any dark skinned tribes in Aerillin, or someplace else close to the void where we could put the original island?  (I was hoping to keep them dark skinned.  Works well with the tropical environment, as well as making it exotic to otherwise European style tribes of Sarvonia). 

If we can nail down a tribe, we can develop the level and description of the magic needed to pull themselves from the void.

If we can find a tribe, we could then introduce myths to that tribe describing a type of "Atlantis" quality to the "Island that drifted into the Void and was lost to the world".

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 11 June 2010, 05:47:44 »

So, with a little research, the Ordion men might give us a root tribe.  This would allow us to place an Island on the western edge of Aeruillin.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]