Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: The Zohologica  (Read 18749 times)
Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 June 2010, 06:19:04 »

I think we'll difinitly change the name. The compendium part'll be removed..

As for the diplomacy between Santharia and Nybelmar, that's why this thread is here, and what makes this (in my eyes) such an interesting entry. In order to make this work, we're gonna have to get representatives and ambassadors of each party to sit down at the table and try to work something out. It's what adds the dynamic and lively aspect to this entry, rather than a single person just defining the parameters.

RE: Glass, as M'Ruk said, glass is too brittle. The only reason we could use glass would be if it's reinforced... a technology I'm guessing is beyond Caelereth technology so far.

Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 June 2010, 01:47:47 »

Bah, I dun like double posting, but for the purposes of flagging this entry up I gotta ^^

Updated the Overview, and created the Black Ward! This is the answer to that element of 'bad publicity' to the Zoho.
Oh and there's a few scribbles here and there.

Let me know what you think ^^

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 June 2010, 02:03:17 »

Great beginning. :D

Reading that Black Ward, I was reminded of the movie Hostel.  Not sure if that was the depth of horror you were going for, but that was where I went.  Looks good.  Perhaps soften it by putting in the Zohological's rebuttal to the critics by saying that it is a necessary evil in order to learn more about the creatures they keep.  Just an idea. :)

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 16

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 June 2010, 02:03:31 »

Overview
The Zohologica boasts an extravagant selection of wildlife from all over the Santharian continent and even houses some rare and exquisite samples from the feral continent of Nybelmar.

Perhaps a plethora of wildlife or a cornucopia? Sorry, inner English geek coming out there.  buck

In a selection of large towering buildings, the Zohologica houses one of the most extensive and complete Bestiary Archive and Library on Caelereth, shadowed only by the world renound Compandium and Nybelmarian Enkyklopaedie.

I think it is renowned and compendium.

Function
An entire army of care takers tends to their needs, their health and their safety (or in some cases the safety of the visitors).

Caretakers is one word.

The facility’s buildings cater for a researcher’s every need with dedicated compartments and continuous access to one of Snatharia’s largest libraries solely dedicated to the study of Beasts and Creatures of Caelereth.

Santharia

Description

Hierarchy

The Board of Fellows
Many of the Beastiarium board members are full time contributers to the Compendium's Bestiary.

Bestarium and contributors.

While their primary focus has always been to observe and report on exotic creatures from all over the disk, many are now being recruited to add capturing and transportation of these creatures to the beastiarium so that many may experience the wonders and joys of creatures not found here in lower Santharia.

Caretakers & other Workers

Mage Faction

At the same time though, setting the magic-users as an individual body would serve as a safety mechanism wherein all things related to magic was handled by the appropriate people.

Were handled

Structures
 The Black Ward
Their guess would not be too far off, after all the Black Ward’s purpose is as grim as the commoner’s imagination paint it.

paints it

Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 June 2010, 02:31:57 »

grin Hostel?! Haha, maybe I was grabbing a little too far into the 'grim' cupboard there. The Black Ward in actuality is a normal place.. normal tiled corridors, propperly lit chambers, just a plain and normal subterranean establishment. It is only the nature of what goes on in these places that is actually a bit grim. But rather than describing a plain and boring set of rooms where dissection takes place, what I was trying at is to reflect the sense that the outside world percieves it as a horrible dark place. This is due to the fact that commoners are not allowed in there, and there are only few bestiary researchers who are allowed in there, so the masses start to imagine things, make up things, paint their own pictures of what's down there... I guess I missed the point a bit though, so i'll rewrite that section ^^

Haha, thanks M'Ruk for the early grammar corrections. I'll get to 'em in a sec
« Last Edit: 12 June 2010, 02:34:54 by Jonael Tomeskrift » Logged

Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 June 2010, 22:31:01 »

Mhm, I'm stuck on Location.. any suggestions?

As I'd tell the real-estate agent: I'm looking for an extensive plot of land, preferrably flat to hillocky, a population who's politics make it a viable location but who will still provide some form of minor resistance (makes for writing material).

Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 14 June 2010, 12:16:05 »

Mayhaps Eyelian territory? Some factions love the beasts all assembled, others are repulsed at the idea?

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 14 June 2010, 16:51:44 »

Jonael, does the following fit in with what you're doing at all?

The Brinitarisanear

If so, I'll change the name of the organisation to which the chief librarian belongs to. If not, I'll just ascribe it to a poet of some kind.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 14 June 2010, 19:51:41 »

@Nsikigan, thanks so much for the suggestion. The Eyelians surely do fit the concept. I have some reservations about implications the Zoho would have, and I'm not too sure how they'd react to them. Since I don't recall seeing Capher or Lady Tiaa around in all the time I've been here I'm guessing you're the best representative to ask about these people?

My concerns:

Is this territory accessible to outside people? Since the aim of the Zohologica is to provide the same experience to everyone from around the continent, it would lead to a significant increase in international traffic to the area where the Zoho plants itself. Would that be ok for the Eyelians? How would they react, and on that note, how would others view the area? Would they go: "Mhm, I'd love to go visit the Zohologica, but then again it's in that dodgy area that I'm not so keen to travel into..

As far as employing a work force goes, the Eyelians seem like one of the best resources available. I'd readily consider hiring them as part of the workforce for the Zoho (no worries, we're all about racial equality, so we'll fill our 'foreign-employed' quota with brownies, dwarves, etc as well ^^) but similar to the point above, would they be ready to have other races roaming about and working inbetween them? Along those lines, one of my concerns is that in setting this place down in one area, I don't want it to settle in and blend with the local population and culture too much. Ie, though local materials will have to be used for construction, I wouldn't stick too close to the local architecture, if that makes sense?

Having said that, if the points I've brought up stirr up too much problems, I would be willing to consider splitting the Zohologica into an Organization rather than a single massive compound. That is to say, there's the Zohologican Society, responsible for establishing and running the Zohologicas, but there's multiple ones throughout santharia, each one of them built in a local style. That would place way less strain on exporting animals from very far reaches, since they'd be slightly more localised. I think I could go for 3 peripheral Zohologicas and one Prime one, the main one, largest and with the widest variety of animals. What do people think of that concept?

Haha, thanks so much Nsik for triggering this train of thought! ^^ (and I hope those concerns expressed at the beginning made at least a bit of sense)

@ Dek, ^^ *shining grin* that's simply fantastic. Not only do I love the concept of the entry in itself, but I also think that the writer of this poem sounds like a perfect member of the Zohologican Society! Once you come up with a name I will most definitly add him to the list of significant members (of course he'll have to add a little more than jsut writing a poem to his repertoire, but he seems like a keen academic who carries the spirit of the Zohologica, that is to spread knowledge and appreciation of animals and beasts world wide) Thanks a tonne for linking this in to this entry! Gives this entry another substantial link into the Santharian world. I'll be sure to keep an intrigued eye on that peom of yours.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 15 June 2010, 02:01:06 »

Just wanted to throw in that there is a menagerie owner mentioned on site, Reve'lor, even with picture, which is located in Naurooth. Maybe that would be a possibility as well?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 15 June 2010, 02:05:38 »

Interesting idea, Arti.  As Naurooth is mentioned as a town occupied by the Arthyrón elves, Dek could help with the history and it in turn would add fodder for his elf rewrite.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 16

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 15 June 2010, 02:15:14 »

I think, Jonael, that idea is a very good one. I might even eliminate the need for so many mages, as the climates in each area would be suitable for the creatures you keep there.

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 15 June 2010, 02:42:58 »

I like the idea of having it near Vezash.  Perhaps it could be located in between Vezash and New Santhala.  The area around New Santhala is certainly a place that would be visited by many different peoples. 

The location Art mentions (Naurooth) would certainly receive less visitors but it would provide better access to the Norrtherners.  Howeer I think the Northerners are less liely to "vacation" to a Zoo anyhow.  Nevertheless you will want to mention Reve'lor as a northern consultant and significant contributor to the Zoo in any case. 

Finally, keep in mind how huge the continent of Sarvonia really is.  You will not get regular visitors from every corner.  I think a location within the Kingdom of Santharia makes the most sense.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 15 June 2010, 02:55:12 »

While Naurooth maybe is not the best place for our zoo, at least Reve'lor and his menagerie can provide a good link in this field to the south if we go for Vezash. As Santharians of course also want to see exotic animals from up north...

Having e.g. a zoo in Santharia is always good, because it adds to development of our central Kingdom, so if we can establish something of major cultural importance like this, it can never be wrong. And we have the advantage of having Eyelians in this region, people who can deal with animals very well, so if we put them in charge there, we also get more about the Eyelians across. So yeah, all good reasons to have it down there, I agree with that.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Nsikigan Ho´Tonanese Yourth
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 19

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 June 2010, 12:49:39 »

My concerns:

Is this territory accessible to outside people? Since the aim of the Zohologica is to provide the same experience to everyone from around the continent, it would lead to a significant increase in international traffic to the area where the Zoho plants itself. Would that be ok for the Eyelians? How would they react, and on that note, how would others view the area? Would they go: "Mhm, I'd love to go visit the Zohologica, but then again it's in that dodgy area that I'm not so keen to travel into..

Well, you know, I think we've moved on from that point. As my as-of-yet finished Rimmerin's Ring entry indicates, the Eyelians have become quite a keen part of New-Snathala's trade routes and defenses. So put this near Vezash, and I don't think there will be problems from either side. And perhaps, if the forests themselves present a certain challenge, then Eyelians or Rim-Ocs could be contracted to protect travelers.

As far as employing a work force goes, the Eyelians seem like one of the best resources available. I'd readily consider hiring them as part of the workforce for the Zoho (no worries, we're all about racial equality, so we'll fill our 'foreign-employed' quota with brownies, dwarves, etc as well ^^) but similar to the point above, would they be ready to have other races roaming about and working inbetween them? Along those lines, one of my concerns is that in setting this place down in one area, I don't want it to settle in and blend with the local population and culture too much. Ie, though local materials will have to be used for construction, I wouldn't stick too close to the local architecture, if that makes sense?

That does make sense: which is why I would recommend putting this near Vezash, and not necessarily right in it.

Feel free to PM me with more questions!

Nsikigan Yourth, Eyelian extraordinare.

Some men aren't looking for anything logical like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world burn. - The Dark Knight

Wisdom begins in wonder. ~ Socrates

A government in which the majority rule in all cases cannot be based on justice, even as far as men understand it- HD Thoreau
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 77
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 77
Total: 77

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!