Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Genani Ra'anouf : Eyelian researcher  (Read 3221 times)
Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« on: 15 June 2010, 21:47:08 »

Hey all,

Ok, carrying on the collaboration between Tikky and I, we present our Eyelian researcher - chief source of flora and fauna research in the Scattersand shoal region. We hope you enjoy, and welcome your comments, additions and thoughts.

In particular, we welcome thoughts on our choice of home village for Genani. It was plucked from the Santhala border part of the Manthria map, not too far east of the Eyelian capital so it seems reasonable a modern Eyelian family might live in such a place even if it's mainly a human place.

Happy Dreaming :)

~

Genani Tallclimber Ra'anouf

Overview:

Genani hasn't lived a life amidst the rich and regal, nor is renowed by the masses in the traditional sense. But that by no means diminishes the great works she has done in her less than usual lifetime. For many years now she has lived and worked within the Scattersand Shoals sending back scroll after scroll of research on the flora and fauna of the remote isles greatly enriching the Compendium's knowledge of the area, and continues to do so to this day.

Introduction :

Until her coming of age she was a normal young Eyelian girl; learnt the trades of her uncle and aunt and learnt the language of the beasts. When the time came for her coming of age and the Seeking of the Spirit, a strange calling awoke within her. Led by her newly discovered Spirit guide, she met a young man, a researcher for the great Compendium passing near her village. His name was Tenrans Jorek, an Avennorian.

The fates tangled their two lives together and a romance blossomed. Her family, very cosmopolitan for village-dwelling Eyelians, accepted her interest in an outsider with only passing scowls from the Elders. However even the sternest scowls eventually softened as the evidence of their love became clear.

On the day she declared her intention to leave the village, and her family, to go with Tenrans, explore the world and become a compendium researcher, she expected the scowls to return with a vengance but instead it was only a deep sorrow at her going.

After a tearful leaving, her life of renown begins as she set off into the world.

Appearence:

The following is an extract from the journal of Tenrans, recording an early meeting with a Dragonbird:

... She ran her fingers, tawny brown mingling against the intense blue, down the creature's elegant neck. Her delight at not only their close proximity, but that the animal was allowing her touch, was evident, and made her soft, black eyes shine, and two small dimples appeared, either side of her mouth, when she smiled.

After a time, the Dragonbird moved away, and looked towards the deep forest, from where it had come. Then it took off and flew away, disappearing amongst the trees.

We made out way back down the waterfruit tree, to the forest floor, and I admired her maneuverability against my own clumsy efforts, more suited to swimming than tree climbing. Her lithe body, though small in stature, moved with grace and fluidity through the thickly adorned branches, her long, lean limbs, placing themselves perfectly, as she descended.

She reached the ground first, and set about removing stray leaves and twigs from her long, dark-brown curls, which, as usual, were tied back into a loose pony-tail. As I landed on the ground beside her, she jumped up and threw her arms around my neck, releasing the joy she had kept inside, while the Dragonbird had been near. She felt like a child in my arms, she was so light. Finally she slid back to the ground, bestowed upon me another dazzling smile, before running carefree back to camp...

Genani Tallclimber Ra'nouf is typical, in appearence, of her native Eyelians. She is, as quoted by Tenrans, small in stature, and slim built, being slightly less than 1.5 peds. Her skin is of a light coffee hue, complimented by the dark chestnut of her curly hair, which is long, reaching halfway down her back, and usually tied back, to keep it out of the way during her explorations.

Her heart-shaped face and high, well-defined cheekbones, excentuate her strong facial features, not least the gentle, black eyes, which shine with keen intelligence, and the joy of her work.

Personality:

By all who have met her, it is said that Genani Tallclimber Ra'nouf is carefree, quick witted, and in possession of natural intelligence. Her joy in even the smallest of discoveries, tells, in itself, of her passion for the environment, and the animals that she has chosen to dedicate her life to.

Much of her personality, comes from her Eagle Clan heritage. Her sense of humour and keen intelligence are both traits of the Eagle Clan, as is her sense of independence, and her self-assurance, in regards to both her physical and mental capabilities, two things thought to have helped her to make the decision to leave her home village, and travel with Tenrans to the Scattersand Shoals.

She is gifted with both patience and calm, giving her a natural affinity with the animals she works with. This Eyelian trait allows her to bond with, and quickly build a mutual trust between them. Her patience also assists her when waiting for many hours at a time, for a single glimpse of a new rare creature, or to learn more about the behaviour of the ones that she has already discovered.

Biography:

1644 : Genani is born, second child of parents, De'enyan Suregrip (father) and Ca'amjen Sweetfruit (mother) in the village of Syhron, south of the Rimmerins Ring and east of the Eyelian capital, Vezash, in the province of Santhala. A mining village, mainly populated by humans.

1654 : Tallclimber becomes an official second name, as she comes home yet again with scraped knees and bruises from her climbs.

1660 : Completes her Seeking of the Spirit coming of age.

1660 : Claims to be led by her spirit guide to find Tenrans nearby. Brings him back to the village.

1662 : Left with Tenrans, to explore and become a compendium researcher.

1664 : Arrives in the Scattersand Shoals after long travels, hearing tales of many undiscovered creatures. Begins her research, assisted by Tenrans.

1670 : First scrolls of her research begin appearing in the Compendium, a detailed study of several creatures, notably the highly elusive Dragonbird.

Importance:

Responsible for research and discovery of many Scattersand shoal species, both plant and animal. Endlessly patience and resourceful... no animal is too rare or too elusive. Known for especially detailed research, particularly of bird species, owing to her beastmaster skills of communication with beasts of many kinds.
« Last Edit: 23 June 2010, 19:31:00 by Smee » Logged

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Jonael Tomeskrift
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 16 June 2010, 21:40:57 »

A nice concept, I've glanced over it and found a couple of things that stick out a little rough in how it reads (as in, it could be a much more magical and enticing read I think ^^). I'll have a propper read through it and give some suggestions when I get home from work..

On another note, seeing as it's the Scattersand Shoals that yous twos are polishing up, may I be a little self-selling and ask that maybe the Butterfly Ray I developed be slid in there somewhere? It's a beautiful creature, but since that area wasn't all that developed back then it kinda remained an entry appart with fewinterlocking links. You guys developing this area now could really help bring this entry out in that sense ^^ Cheers

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 June 2010, 07:02:56 »

Hi Smee and Tikky!

A good start, and nice to see that you're developing interlinked entries. Seems like a lovely little person, your Genani. The diary entry by Tenrans is a deft touch, and says quite a lot about Genani between the lines. I like it!

Nonetheless, I think your entry would benefit from more detail. At times Genani's story is a bit like a skeleton: everything's there and it all holds together, but the reader would like to see flesh and skin on the bones!

A few ideas/questions that may help you develop Genani a bit more:

- I think an Eyelian's spirit guide is always an animal, yes? Maybe tell us what animal that was for Genani. If it was a bird, for example, this could explain/be linked to her later interests in bird research. Maybe such a detail could also establish a connection with Tenrans straight away: maybe he was already researching birds when he met G.; or maybe he had the image of a bird embroidered on his hat; or maybe he was practicing whistling like a (specific) bird when Genani ran into him? Make something of the story of their meeting - that's my suggestion.

- Why did Tenrans and Genani go to the Scattersand Shoals, rather than somewhere else? It's a remote and dangerous place - so not an obvious choice, unless you've got a specific interest. Or maybe there was a sign from the spirit guide once again?

- Topics of Genani's research: be more specific. So far we know that G. has researched the dragonbird and other plants and animals of the Scattersand Shoals. Tell us more specifically what  other things. Jonael has already made suggestion. Type "Scattersand" in the Santharian search box and find out whether there are other creatures G. could have found things out about. And if there aren't - make some up! (Weren't you planning on developing a pygmy deer anyway? Mention it here!)

These are just a few ideas. Feel free to reject or take up, and especially feel free to add your own!

More specific comments:

Overview: This needs to contain some more information on Genani: that she is contemporary (i.e., still alive), her tribe, her full name.

Still Overview: "less than usual lifetime" is a curious formulation for someone who hasn't died yet ...

The fates tangled their two lives together and a romance blossomed.

The fates live in Greece, I think.   ;) How about Seyella, the Santharian Godess of Destiny? (I know 'the fates tangled their lives together' is just a phrase - but it's an earthly phrase, and it would be nice to find a Santharian expression instead.)

Dragonbird: You need to spell 'dragonbird' with a small 'd' throughout. Animal names are only capitalized in their own entry.

... She ran her fingers, tawny brown mingling against the intense blue, down the creature's elegant neck.

I suggest to replace 'She' with 'Genani' - just this once, to make it absolutely clear even to a stupid reader like me who it is the sentence refers to.

Her heart-shaped face and high, well-defined cheekbones, excentuate her strong facial features, not least the gentle, black eyes, which shine with keen intelligence, and the joy of her work.
... accentuate ...

Much of her personality, comes from her Eagle Clan heritage.
(No comma after 'personality'.)

Importance Section: This is currently not written in full sentences, but in bullet-point style ellipses. Write full sentences, please!

Anyway - Genani is a lovely idea, and your entry already contains some really nice and evocative passages (especially in the diary). Also it's pleasing to see that the Smee-Tikky co-operation is flourishing!

Shabakuk

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 23 June 2010, 19:30:07 »

Much thanks for the detailed comments Shaba, and also a belated thanks to you too Jonael.

I love the idea for the butterfly ray to be included. Marine species aren't Genani's speciality, more Tenrans sort of thing given his heritage. But that isn't to say they didn't research it together.

Shaba : Your comments are great as usual and I think I agree with just about all of them. The only one I'm not sure about is detailing precisely what her spirit guide species is, I'm not sure that doesn't go against Eyelian custom. However, in a general sense, saying she has an affinity with birds should be fine.

We'll get our heads together and see if we can't add some flesh to these bones... glad to hear the skeleton holds together atleast :D

Happy Dreaming.

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 November 2010, 03:56:48 »

How are we doing here, Smee and Tikky? Have you got plans to finish this? You've done a lot of good work already, and it would be a shame to deny the compendium an entry on the lovely Genani R.. The text doesn't need that  much more work - and with the many animals that Tikky has developed since you've started this entry, you'd already have plenty of new material to work with.

So please don't forget about Genani Ra'anouf!

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]