Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Song of Sadness (Aellenrhim)  (Read 3741 times)
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 17

View Profile
« on: 24 June 2010, 04:01:25 »

Authors Note-I am not a poet or a singer, but, I felt drawn to write this. Pretty sure the rhymes are funny to anybody who reads this, but, I did my best.

The Song of Sadness has a rather interesting origin. A young half-elven bard, a Jarem Alke, composed the song in tribute to his mother’s tribe, and has used it often when travelling too the different inns he plays at. The song is made in memoriam of the 18th of Chúh'querín, the day when the orcs raided theCYRATHRHIM  and overturned the ovens in the elf’s houses, setting fire to much of the forest. While the Aellenrhim elves do not sing the song, themselves preffering to simply remain accepting of the past, Jarem was influenced heavily by his human blood, and wished to write the song so the day can be remembered.

Oh come all Aellenrhim
Hear our tale of woe
The Darkfriend have come, with sword and bow
The Orcs have come,

Oh hear our cries
Our blood has been spilled
Oh hear our cries
Our families have been killed

Death has come
To the beat of the drum
Our homes are burning
The Orcs have come, despite our yearning

Hear our screams
Ava listen to your dream
Our world is tearing at the seams
Is this what you have deemed

Oh come all Aellerhim
Hear our tale of woe
The Orcs have come

Forgive us Twelve
Pardon our wrongs
Forgive us Elves
And hear our songs

They are burning
Is this our earning
The tides are turning
They are burning

Is this our fate
Our death we await
Are forever lost
Consumed by the cost

Oh come all Aellerhim
Hear our tale of woe
The Orcs have come

« Last Edit: 10 October 2010, 23:25:10 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Vhodka is wonderful..."-Agran Velion
M´ruk Loshashzuck
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 16

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 24 June 2010, 04:32:59 »

Here our screams ---> Hear our screams

Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 June 2010, 07:36:28 »

Fixed the here problem, but I forgot to color the changes, and now the corrected version is saved over the old one.

I also changed the icon to the correct one.

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 June 2010, 08:18:09 »

I think you need to remove September from your introduction.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 June 2010, 17:08:49 »

I got bored and tried to translate this into Styrash.  I hope no one minds.   :)

Unfortunately, I didn't get very far before running into problems, mainly the lack of vocabulary and certain constructions, such as passives (as far as I could tell).

Telor Glasajias

Rethaiah Aellenrhima
Rolgeyaiah glasajthim iuiias
Rethanhe enh Mohisyrorin e scaliam am e kardalaiam
Rethanhe enh Eferaniin

Stygeyaiah lolithian iuiias
Eraisiti pharmar iuiias
Stygeyaiah lolithian iuiias
Coorsiti rhaem iuiias

Rethanhe Cartuulen

I'm afraid I don't have much to say about the actual entry though.  I never really understood how poems and songs work. 
« Last Edit: 28 June 2010, 17:31:13 by Mina » Logged

Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2010, 03:38:45 »

I fixed the September bit, and as for it being in Styrash, I figured it would be rough to translate so I say we could always slap a disclaimer on it.

"Has been altered to rhyme in Tharian and make more sense."

Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 September 2010, 07:14:16 »

Seeing as how it's been awhile since anyone commented on this...any comments?

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2010, 22:30:17 »

Though the song is lovely (in a sad sort of way...) I wonder if such a song would be elven in origin given the races' outlook on life. Do elves remember such events with a kind of sadness as this? I am no philosopher, nor do I fully understand elven culture, but I think elves would see a tragedy as something in the past, something tragic but to elves there is no point in time that bears such focus. The elves live in the Dream, an ever changing flow of life that has ups and downs but a focus on a single tragic event is something more akin to human attachment.

Or am I over-thinking this thing?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 16 September 2010, 03:39:16 »

No, you're not over-thinking, Azhira - I guess you're spot on with your comment here!  thumbup

The elven way of thinking forms more and more if we take all the things into account that were mentioned e.g. in the Netherworlds/beliefs discussion. And part of these discussions is to establish the elves as a race that is entirely different compared to others. So this is a very good example where elves clearly differ.

Most elves would appear to humans as "indifferent" or "accepting" to events like these, especially when they're ages and ages past. The elves are passive, neutral and death just means to fall back into the Dream in order to be reborn again. On the other hand it is very human to "live in the past", sulking about missed opportunities, lamenting about losses or even praising the good old times, and on the other hand imagining one's self to have accomplished goals in the future and revel in that thought. With other words: Humans tend to live in the future or the past, and in their presence try to make a dent in existence. Elves not so, their primary goal is to maintain the equilibrium.

So yes, Agran, the poem can hardly be attributed to elves I'd say. Now you might perhaps make it a human one instead and adjust several things related to it - introduction and poem itself, because we really should stick with elaborating the differences in the races!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 September 2010, 10:01:54 »

Hmm, I see yall are saying. Would it be acceptable to alter it and make it a bard's...or minstrel's, whatever they like to be called, song? Or would it be better to scrap this?

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 20 September 2010, 07:45:38 »

Oh don't scrap this song, Agran. With a little alteration, it can be made to work. The main point is that it is unlikely to be Aellenrhim in origin (or elven at all, for reasons given above). Likely, a human bard wrote it in remembrance of the this particular event. The elves wouldn't recognize it, nor would they sing it, given their philosophy and culture, but who says a human couldn't write it for them? Or maybe a human with some Aellenrhim blood in their family wrote it as a means to remember an ancestor.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 20 September 2010, 15:48:49 »

I think that a part-elven bard may sing it, just because his human side tells him to. I wouldn't scrap it, though. Make it work, and keep it.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 October 2010, 01:51:37 »

Changed overview, finaly.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 10 October 2010, 23:26:34 »

I'll take this one in as well, Agran - though I've added the date 293 b.S. now in the overview so that the context is there. Plus I've changed the Aellenrhim references to Cyrathrhim, as you forgot about that in the actual song! :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]