Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Jhehellrhim Crossbow  (Read 10316 times)
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 17

View Profile
« on: 16 July 2010, 03:57:27 »

The Jhehellrhim Crossbow is a scared weapon to the Jhehellrhim Elves. Given to only their most gifted hunted, to receive the crossbow is a mark of the highest honour for the elves’ hunters. More powerful than the normal crossbow thanks to its makeup, the Jhehellrhim Crossbow takes longer to reload than its fellows, but it packs a far stronger punch.

Name- The Jhehellrhim Crossbow

Description-Approximately a ped long, larger than the average crossbow. They’re much like much like the heavy crossbows used by numerous soldiers stationed in fortresses and castles, but its build is different than the normal crossbows. The bow piece of the crossbow, the prod, is much like a standard recurve bow, but it is made like the composite bow. It is made up of several layers of horn, wood, and sinew kept together by glue made from a variety of substances, namely, animal fat and sap.

The prod of the crossbow is made of several materials glued together via a special mixture of sap and animal fat. The materials include horn and sinew from the wild game that is hunted by the elves, and yew taken from older trees of the forest. The exact production of the prod is uncertain, as the Jhehellrhim Elves have guarded their knowledge well, and the compendiumist has no wish to anger the tribe.  However, we can guess the obvious; the prod is held tightly together by the glue formed from fat and sap, which is a clever idea, considering the abundance of these materials in the Istarin Forest.

The bowstring is of a curious make, called a reverse-twisted string. Several strands are twisted independently in one direction, but are then placed in a bundle, and twisted in the opposite direction, creating a reverse twist, hence the name. The reverse-twisted string is held to the crossbow by a thick knot at each end of the string, which keeps it secure, and in no danger of coming loose from the crossbow. The bowstring is made of natural materials gathered from the forest, hemp and linen are both favourites of the Jhehellrhim Elves for construction of the bow string.

The stock of the crossbow is made of carefully carved wood from an Urban Tree growing in the forest. The back of the crossbow is specially aligned to the owner
, so it can fit perfectly to his or her shoulder. The trigger is a simple lever that, when pressed, lowers the nut of the crossbow and releases the string, propelling the bolt. The bolt itself is a little less than a fore, and is made of oak gathered in the Istarin Forest. The head is made of steel and is shaped like the standard arrowhead, with one exception, at the bottom of the bolthead on both sides, instead of the steel ending in points, the metal bends slight to make a hook like area. This is made so that if shot at a target and they attempted to remove it, the hooks would catch onto the insides of the body and drag them out as well.

Usage
The Jhehellrhim Crossbow is used solely by the Jhehellrhim Elves. It is considered a great honour and privilege for an hunter to be given a Jhehellrhim Crossbow because of the time it takes to create. The weapon is only given to a handful of great hunters and warriors who have proven themselves to be a great asset to the tribe. It is unheard of for a non Jhehellrhim to use the crossbow even in the most dire circumstance, including life or death. When a hunter is bestowed with a crossbow, a celebration is called for in his honour. If a hunter in your immediate family is given a Jhehellrhim Crossbow it is a mark of honour not only for him or her, but also for you.

The Jhehellrhim Crossbow is mainly used to hunt dangerous game. The crossbow packs a bigger punch, and this makes it an excellent weapon when going against large and hazardous animals like bear. As only experienced hunters can receive one of these crossbows, young hunters will hunt a wild beast on their own to prove their worth and gain respect enough to be considered an applicant for one. If successful this will gain much renown amongst their tribe, but such an act is not officially sanctioned because for every victor in this action, there are a dozen losers, some with injuries that are far too difficult to heal.

Fighting Style-The Jhehellrhim Crossbow works much the same as a regular crossbow. The string is placed back behind the nut, and a bolt is place in the small groove along the stock. The back of the stock is placed against the shoulder, the crossbowman takes aim, and presses the trigger. The trigger is a lever at the bottom of the stock that lowers the nut and releases the bowstring. The string snaps forward and propels the bolt out exactly like a normal bow, but this bolt is carrying far more force than a normal arrow, and will pack a far bigger punch.

Reloading is a slow process, as it is for all crossbows. The expert hunters that wield these crossbows will often hunt with an aide, perhaps an apprentice or family member, who will carry a second crossbow for the hunter to use. Once the hunter fires his main crossbow, he will hand it to the aid to reload it, and the aide will reload the first crossbow. This practice helps reduce the time between shots. Since this crossbow is even stronger than others, one cannot string it simply by pulling back the bowstring. The crossbowman carries a tool to help him reload, made up of two hooks, strings, and a crank. The hooks are placed on the bowstring, on each side of the plank, the crank is held onto the crossbow and is turned, the hooks pull up the bowstring and the crossbowman places it behind the nut. A bolt is placed in the grooves along the plank, and the crossbow is ready to fire again.

Origin/History

The exact inventor of the Jhehellrhim Crossbow is unknown, but it is believed by many that it was not a single man, but rather a group of Jhehellrhim Elves who spent most of their lives on trying to create a new crossbow. When the use of the original crossbow became widespread, the Jhehellrhim needed a weapon and hunting tool specifically for their best hunters. An unknown elf, or elves went to work, and shortly after the Third Sarvonian War, the Jhehellrhim Crossbow emerged as one of the Jhehellrhim’s most sacred weapons. Despite its age, the weapon is still only used by the Jhehellrhim, and it is highly doubtful that the weapon will ever become as widespread as the original crossbow.

« Last Edit: 17 December 2010, 08:31:52 by Agran Velion » Logged

"Vhodka is wonderful..."-Agran Velion
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 17 July 2010, 03:49:56 »

Ready for comments.

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 July 2010, 08:54:14 »

The picture of the elf in the entry has a triple crossbow. What makes that different than a normal crossbow?

What kind of wood is used to make one?

Perhaps Jhehellrhim crossbows are lighter and stronger than others due to their delicate craftsmanship and wood type?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 July 2010, 23:56:23 »

Agran

I love the entry.  Everything is very unique well done.  In fact after one read through I don't really have any suggestions for you. 

Is the Jhehellrhim Crossbow supposed to be the same crossbow depicted in the elf picture as Azhira is suggesting?  If it is I will have to critique your description against what the picture shows.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Valan Nonesuch

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 July 2010, 00:53:25 »

I'm here to temper Seeker's praise with critique.

Parts of weapons have names. In the case of the crossbow, the "bow" section is called the prod. The bit with the trigger is the stock. There's even a name for the crank mechanism for stringing the bow, though it escapes me at the moment.

So, a quick history lesson. The crossbow isn't as effective as you might think. A longbowman could fire more arrows that a crossbowman on a per-minute basis. Where the strength of the weapon lies is as follows. A crossbow, by virtue of its design lets a crossbowman handle more force with his bow than a longbowman. You aren't holding the string or pulling it back one handed. The other advantage is that you can keep a crossbow cocked, so you can take time aiming it, since you don't have to keep the string taut yourself.

Advantages: Longer time for aiming. This translates to increased accuracy. More force behind the shot. This means that crossbowman is essentially made to fire from one place and not move too much. Up on battlements or behind cover ideally.

The disadvantages:
They don't do well in weather, particularly the strings though this is a problem for all bows The wood of the bow should not be a problem. Yes, you should avoid getting it soaking wet on principle, but a little water will not kill it. The bit about the water magic is bugging me because you appear to be throwing around magic all willy-nilly in a standard weapons entry. Moreover it looks to be sphere three stuff. Long-term magic. Not the most common thing in the world, not done effortlessly. You can deal with the string getting wet (since a crossbowman can't just unstring his bow) by coating it with beeswax or something similar.

So now to the nitpicks. As Seeker and Azhira mentioned, the crossbow in the picture is a triple crossbow. I for one would be pleased to see this entry go with the picture. If we inspect it closely, we can see that the crossbow in question does in fact shoot three bolts! This isn't uncommon since it deals with that "can't shoot as fast as the other guy" problem. So we might have a weapon that shoots three bolts, packs quite a bit of punch, hang on this is starting to sound a little like a shotgun! What on earth are you going to hunt with this?

Another quick history lesson, various groups were permitted to use bear arms in Medieval Europe. Beekeepers were permitted to keep crossbows, since their hives were spread out and they could be attacked by something like a bear. So, why not mix up a little? Have the Jhehelllrhim be beekeepers? They don't have a diet section at the moment so this is open.

I do object to the use of poison on a weapon for hunting, especially since the current entry makes no mention of this. What about children, who wouldn't have built up this immunity yet? You'd have to prepare completely different food. It's also just not a particularly elven sounding practice. Remember, Elves are not Pointy Eared Humans!

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 July 2010, 04:35:21 »

Thanks for the input guys, I'll get to work on it soon. The reason I didn't go with the triple crossbow is because it was already mentioned in the Crossbow overview, so I took the Jhehellrhim Crossbow to be a different weapon.

Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 July 2010, 06:15:51 »

As a follow up to Valan's comment, if you are going to make any changes to the bow that deviate from the tribe entry as it currently stands (whether you make additions that currently don't exist or contradict existing information) you need to get permission from either the author of said entry or the resident expert of that area.  Since Silfer isn't really around, I'd suggest you'd message Rayne since she is the resident elf-expert or whoever is in charge of the southeastern area of Southern Sarvonia.
Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 August 2010, 01:54:49 »

Okay I'm starting work on this again, but before I get into it, there's a slight problem I've ran into.  Everyone keeps mentioning the Elf in the picture is carrying a triple crossbow, but in the overview I quote

JHEHELLRHIM CROSSBOW, THE
A special weapon invented by a Jhehellrhim elf. The crossbow allows that arrows can be shot for longer distances with stronger force, but it also takes more time to reload, which makes it difficult to handle in situation when speed is required

It says nothing about it being a triple crossbow, in fact, I took it to mean that it would shoot one bolt further and stronger than a normal crossbow, instead of three bolts, however I don't want to contradict the picture in the entry. So should I make the weapon a stronger version of a crossbow (still not sure how I can manage that, a steel prod could be used, I guess they could always get steel from outside the forest), or make it a more descriptive three shot crossbow?

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 August 2010, 08:31:06 »

Remember Agran, it just needs to be stronger than the average crossbow. This can be achieved several ways.
Perhaps the Jhelhellrhim are very good at making the strings. The rule for weapons like this is that more force behind the shot translates to longer distance, though the amount of force will peter out over time and therefore distance (basic physics)

However! The Jhehellrhim are also elves. As a rule, elf-crafted items, particularly wooden ones, can be assumed to be at least slightly superior to human items of the same make. The elves have longer lifespans and their curious style of learning things, so an elvish master would be able to make rather formidable work indeed, simply by virtue of having more experience and time to hone his (or her) craft than a human would.

The materials are also a point. What is the wood? From what animal is the horn? The quality and perhaps the scarcity of the materials or the skill required to work with them could make this a better weapon on their own. Do your reasearch! And, when all else fails, fabricate. I really recommend looking at the Hob-Bow if you want an idea of how to make a weapon seem a little less mundane. The weapon entry has the section on lore and origin for a reason, and tribe specific weapons like this are much

Try to avoid using metal where you can. Perhaps that makes these weapons extraordinary? Indeed maybe there is no metal to them at all? This could make the bows lighter, more difficult to construct and quite special in their own right. If you're going to poison the quarrels, (and I don't recommend it, as things stand right now)  it might be good to leave the tips wooden, perhaps hollowed a little to hold the poison? Crossbows can also fire other munitions, like sling bullets.
« Last Edit: 17 August 2010, 04:05:31 by Valan Nonesuch » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 17 August 2010, 02:28:54 »

Concerning the picture: The picture we used at the main crossbow entry was just something Isilhir had done without drawing it directly for Santharia. So we just integrated it, and I guess somewhat said that this might be a triple crossbow, so we just said it was. So it doesn't necessarily be the weapon described here, though Jhehellrhim obviously also use this kind of weapon.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 September 2010, 22:24:13 »

Still working on this one Agran?

Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 14 September 2010, 07:11:38 »

I am. School's just been realy annoying, and my grades are starting to slip, so I've been focusing more on that than Santharia. I'll have an update on this soon, once I can decide on which trees will give the best wood and which animals have the best horn.

Agran Velion
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 September 2010, 09:55:53 »

MUHAHAHAHAHAH! I have FINALY given everyone an update, even if it is pathetic. You may all begin the critque and the cursing of me for taking so long on something as minor as this. As on all my entries, you may find the updates in blue.

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2010, 10:40:59 »

Normally, I'd be happy to get to tear a bit through this, but I'm currently on a train from Toronto to Ottawa and will be for the next two hours. After that I have to take a cab home, following which I will pass out. So you can expect comments tomorrow instead.

Valan Nonesuch

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 13 October 2010, 14:20:08 »

While the Jhehellerhim may keep the exact method of their glue making a secret, the animal from which they procure the horn neccessary for the creation of these bows is certainly not I expect. It may simply be that you are asking the wrong questions. I have heard that it is practice in some places for a hunter to travel with an aide, to carry a second weapon and load the spent weapon so that the time between shots may be reduced. The Jhehellrhim certainly seem likely to implement such a system. They are not typical elves by any stretch of the imagination. Which brings me to my last point. You are playing about quite a bit with the capitalization of your letters. There is a reason we try to keep this down as the scribes have enough trouble setting the artistic caligraphy for the beginning of paragraphs without your adding majuscules where they have no place. The entry name should be capitalized, as should major events and tribe names (but not the race that they are a part of; elf not Elf, in every case) and the proper names of places (the Istarin Forest, the Tandala Highlands).

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]