Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Name for an elven mage  (Read 4056 times)
Aos
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« on: 03 August 2010, 18:01:25 »

Hi!  :D

I just invented an elven (Maeverhim) mage for my first entry, the Feather Thoughts spell, in order to attribute a few quotes to him. Is "Aelephtháer" a legitimate elven name? I think I may have bastardised the elven words for 'white' and 'whisper' to craft that.

"Logic in the service of appreciation, and appreciation in the service of reverence, which, in the face of wonders not of our making, is our only proper response." Colin Tudge, The Secret Life of Trees
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 03 August 2010, 19:55:26 »

May I propose a different tribe? It would be highly unlikely that a Maeverhim would attend Ximax given that elves are rare at a human school and the Maeverhims' cultural taboo against touching the ground.

- Use a different tribe (the Aellenrhim or Quaelhoirhim maybe)

- Make a half-elf with human upbringing

- The spell was developed at the Maeverhim magic schools

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Aos
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 August 2010, 21:33:10 »

Well, that's actually why I chose the Maeverhim. I think there is some confusion: I never intended Aelephtháer to 'attend' Ximax as a student/teacher. I wanted him to be a 'guest/visiting lecturer' - or perhaps more accurately in the Maeverhim's case: a 'come visit me'-lecturer on the elven view of the wind school.

EDIT: If this won't work, I can of course always change his tribe :)

Does the name work though, in terms of Styrash?
« Last Edit: 03 August 2010, 21:35:22 by Aos » Logged

"Logic in the service of appreciation, and appreciation in the service of reverence, which, in the face of wonders not of our making, is our only proper response." Colin Tudge, The Secret Life of Trees
Drasil Razorfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 47

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 August 2010, 23:33:55 »

Well, that's actually why I chose the Maeverhim. I think there is some confusion: I never intended Aelephtháer to 'attend' Ximax as a student/teacher. I wanted him to be a 'guest/visiting lecturer' - or perhaps more accurately in the Maeverhim's case: a 'come visit me'-lecturer on the elven view of the wind school.

Well that makes much more sense.  Can you please include this in your entry?  Based on Azhira's comment, I'd suggest that you make him a 'come visit me' lecturer.
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 August 2010, 01:12:59 »

"White Whisper" will probably be Aelienepthaer.  But names don't always have obvious meanings, so what you came up with would probably work just as well, I think. 

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 04 August 2010, 03:12:35 »

Name should be fine, maybe with the separation sign in between, like "Ael'ephtháer", so that the two word parts can be easier recognized.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Aos
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 August 2010, 03:31:32 »

Thank you for the swift response everyone :)

@Artimidor: Just a general question on Styrash: Would the two constituent parts be recognisable (so that a separation sign is always required) in names?  Or would such parts in proper names have merged over time? For instance, the English name 'Aiden' means 'Born of Fire' but the origins of the word/its meaning is no longer apparent. Don't elven names go through a similar process? Or are elven names more like Native American ones such as 'Sitting Bull' etc?
« Last Edit: 04 August 2010, 03:34:13 by Aos » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 04 August 2010, 03:46:21 »

I guess both applies to a certain degree, but usually it's more the latter, the "Sitting Bull" example.

We utilize merging words mostly when we try to construct new words that stand on their own, but would be too long to be practical. Then we reduce some parts to the root and make a new word out of it that sounds pretty cool and that the elves can use efficiently without breaking their tongues when they try to use it :)

That is not so often the case with names methinks (at least whenever I try to construct names), here we usually put together two words, and very much so in the Native American spirit (adjective + noun, often related to nature).

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Aos
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 August 2010, 03:53:11 »

Thank you! That's really helpful to know - I'll bear it in mind :)

(So it seems I chanced upon a rather apt, suitably Native-Amaricanish/naturey name with 'White Whisper' - haha :))

that the elves can use efficiently without breaking their tongues when they try to use it

LOL!

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 August 2010, 04:13:50 »

Hmm, it seems that ael means "eye".  Maybe you'd want to modify the name a little? 

Aos
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 04 August 2010, 04:17:05 »

LOL! I missed that! I guess Styrash isn't really a 'cut & paste' language!

I tried to put 'aelien' and 'ephtháer' together, but ended up with something I could not pronounce so cut it here and there to make it more pleasing to the eye and slightly less tongue-breaking

Shall I change back to "Aelien'epthaer"?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 04 August 2010, 04:34:52 »

"Aelien'epthaer" would be the logical way to do it and fitting to the scheme described above, so yeah, maybe that's the best choice...

Aos
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 August 2010, 04:37:00 »

*puts the scissors away*

Okies then - thanks again!

PS: How would you pronounce that btw? (I don't know German pronunciation, on which Styrash seems to be based)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 06 August 2010, 03:22:54 »

Concerning pronunciation:

Don't know much about how to write pronunciation mumbo jumbo, so here's an attempt. First it should be stressed that way: "Áelien'eptháer" - both "áe"s would be pronounced as in "bear", the "e" in eptháer like in entity. Rest the same way as in English.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]