Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Morgerim  (Read 3076 times)
Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« on: 25 August 2010, 07:23:03 »

Have these dwarves been done?  If not I have found all the information that I had so they could be put up on this site.  I do not know what has been decided about these dwarves but they are what Bard Judith had approved earlier.  I know there was a discussion about history being brought in back in April, but I do not know what has been brought forward.  Just asking to see what is happening.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 25 August 2010, 07:44:25 »

Wow, hi Thuja! How nice to finally meet you.

I believe the Morgerim are still open to development. It's just that no one has stepped forward to own the project...tribe entries can be loads of fun (once you have a tribe, you never stop devving them...) It would be quite helpful to have some more information on them. I think Judy was looking for some basic history to begin with. As for me...I am busy with my half-orc tribe and have my eyes set on an elven tribe up North.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 25 August 2010, 12:56:59 »

Welcome back, Thuja!  Post wot ye've got and I'll have a looksie when I get back home to Korea.  Currently in transit for the next couple of days, so don't expect any indepth commentary until I'm back at my home computer.  Great to see you again, and looking forward to what you've got on the Morgerim so far...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 26 August 2010, 03:02:57 »

*checks Thuja's last four posts*

One 2006, one 2007, one 2008, and 2010! Hey, you skipped 2009! But at any rate we've got at least one in 2010... Is there a chance for a few more?  cool At any rate it is good to see you around, and maybe we can really get those dwarven issues sorted out, would be about time, after... erm... half a dozen years mayhaps? lol

If our bear traps help to keep volatile greenery on the Dev Forum is another matter, but we could mount one, just in case...  evil

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Thuja
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2010, 01:45:35 »

The bad luck, the information I have is fragmentary, but most of the information is there.  This means I will have to recreate all the written information again.  Seems my daughter borrowed one of my memory sticks and erased the entry I had done.  The good news, I still remember what my ideas and what was mostly accepted by the dwarf mistress.  Also, while rereading the fragments I have gotten a few more ideas to add to the tribe.  This process will have to be piecemeal.  In the next entry will be the beginning or introduction and will work from there.  Probably be better anyway, as too much to peruse causes for tired eyes and minds.   grin
Thuja
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2010, 01:47:26 »

MORGERIM

Overview:

The Morgerim (or Morgerimerons in their tongue), also known as the “Dark Dwarves”, are a separate clan of the Thergerim.  Many claim they are a separate race, since their physical characteristics and culture vary so significantly, but Morgerim are indeed dwarves.  Many also claim that the Morgerim are a myth since few, if any have actually been seen.  This is because they are very reclusive (even from a dwarven point of view!) and usually only one representative is ever seen at a time from this clan.  (Note: This entry deals specifically with the Morgerim, and how they differ from their cousins.  Look at the general dwarven overview to see general details on the dwarven race.)

Appearance:  

Morgerim are dwarven in basic form, but their stature and coloring define them while still showing they are related to the Thergerim.  The average Morgerim stands one and a half peds tall and rarely deviates from this.  It is uncanny seeing them standing in a group with all basically the same height, but as they themselves say; “We were made to look into the eyes as equals with truth.”  They are considered very stocky; a little over four spans across the shoulders and their legs have a tendency towards bowing and are thickset. Their chests are wide, well built, with flat stomachs and solid hips.   The Morgerim arms are muscular with oversized biceps and forearms that end in large hands with long graceful fingers.  These fingers are very dexterous and seem at odds with their overall build.  

Both male and female grow facial hair that starts to appear when they reach their maturity, around fifty years of age.  The female’s beard reaches to about her chest at full length and is usually kept in ringlets, but many do braid their beards.  The male’s beard will easily reach their knees and are often longer.  They may cut the hair on their head to a shorter length, but never their beard.  They will trim their beards if it is needed to enhance them or for very minor repairs.  They consider their beards to be an important sign of their personal dignity and take great pride in its length and fullness.  This stature is portrayed in the belief that any Morgerim who has taken the time and effort in growing a full beard is thought to have also attained great wisdom and knowledge.  It is these full-bearded Morgerim that are often sought out by others and asked for advice.  It should be noted that if a Morgerim is going into battle they will braid their beard.  Both for protection (the beard‘s) and to keep it out of their way while battling.

The Morgerim hair color ranges in shades of gray to white; it is not necessarily the old who have white hair.  Usually the hair color a Morgerim is born with is the same they will die with.  The typical face of a Morgerim is slightly narrower than a normal Thergerim, with an aquiline nose and a firm chin.  The lips, when seen through the beard, are full with a faint grayish hue.  The Morgerim have ears that appear proportionately large to their head.  Their teeth are a little larger than humans and their bones, like their cousins, are quite dense and heavy for their size.  Their eye color is either shades of gray or a light coppery hue, but about once every generation a baby will be born with light blue eyes.  These Morgerim are known as “Kativoyim” (wanderer, traveler above) and are the clan’s eyes and ears to the outside world.

The Morgerim live three centuries, while many may live deep into their fourth century.  It is not known if any have ever reached four centuries of age.  The most striking detail about the Morgerim is their skin color; it is black as obsidian.  They say this is because Kwontvil (one of the ten dwarven UnSthommerons) carved them from living obsidian at the special request of Trum-Baroll (also known as Urtengor, the God of the Forge).

People:

The Morgerim, like all their race, are conservative and communal.  They do not change their ways or opinions lightly, but are willing to discuss changes if they appear to benefit the clan in some way.  Of course, this will not happen overnight, and taking only a year in discussion is considered short by their standards.  To humans, this slowness is perceived as stubbornness and unyielding, a resistance to new concepts and ideas.  The Morgerim believe they must fully discuss a change so they can understand how it will affect them as a clan, and make sure it will not harm them or their beliefs.  These religious beliefs are fervent, and since they are mentally strong-willed they will not change them for anyone or anything.  Not even other Thergerim, who have slightly different beliefs, can sway them in any way.  Interestingly enough, these discussions of change are mostly not about how they will affect the clan, but how these ideas and concepts can best be adapted to benefit the clan.

Since the Morgerim sprang from the Element of Earth, they are usually less affected by extremes in cold and heat than other races.  Due to the darkness of their skin, Injera does not bother them, but a bright day will cause them to squint very noticeably.  This is most likely because the eyes of a Morgerim draw in more light due to their low light environment.  Their large ears allow them to have excellent hearing, which can make other races uncomfortable because of the uncanny way in which a Morgerim know from which direction any sound originates, not to mention they can hear whispered conversations that are not too distant.  They can even tell where the sound of an echo first originated.  This also makes it very difficult in sneaking up on them.

The Morgerim also have a natural defense against magic, especially magical spells that are used to try and affect the mind or emotions of the target.  This is not to say that magic does not affect them at all, just that their bodies seem to dampen the power of any spell.  A truly powerful mage could cause considerable damage, but the Morgerim are able to resist a lesser mage’s spell.  In fact, a mage that is weak in magic who attempts to use a spell on Morgerim will cause them great anger.  They will focus this rage at the offending mage and make every effort to kill them.  It is only the magical spells of the mind that they seem immune to.  This is probably due to the pragmatic way in which the Morgerim view and live life, and it is so intertwined into their psyche that no spell designed to affect the mind can alter them.

It is known that the Morgerim practice magic because they have priests and mages.  How strong this magic is or how proficient they are is not known, due to the fact they keep this knowledge to themselves.  They utterly refuse to give any information about their magic and if pressed will stop discussions and leave, sometimes for years.  It can only be surmised that the Morgerim magic follows along the same lines as other Thergerim, being of a practical and workmanlike nature.

The Morgerim are typically Thergerim in their fierce loyalty to family, clan, and race.  They have an unyielding honor matched only by their stubborn pride.  These together make them fearsome warriors, which is evident in the continuing tales of the Dark Horde, especially those during the War of the Chosen.  Of course their mastery in the forging of weaponry makes them well equipped and even more deadly in a battle.  Not to mention that every Morgerim is trained in the martial arts and many often practice throughout their lives.  The many rumors and tales of their great ability and the vast devastation an army of Morgerim can incur has grown and expanded over time.  Many believe them to be just tales for children and old men, but most are in fact substantiated.  (See the history section for details)

The Morgerim are hard workers, skilled craftsmen, miners and smiths like most Thergerim.  Where they differ is in the small intricate details which they work into everything they do.  Each Morgerim is capable of tending to any detail of clan life and doing it well; all work as craftsmen in some capacity striving for perfection.  When they make a piece that they feel they can no longer improve, that Morgerim will lay down their tools and never pick them up again.  They will then move on, concentrating on other aspects of clan life.  Such a piece is referred to as a (need Bards word here), or “life-work”.  Although this doesn’t happen every generation, each family has one or two such pieces held in great reverence.  Life-works may range from a delicately-crafted earring to a monumental statue.  It must be noted that the tools which were used in the work of perfection are always destroyed.  It is believed they have fulfilled their purpose and using them again will cause great harm to the one using them or damage anything they touch.

It is difficult to deal with the Morgerim.  This is because they will listen to everything you have to say, think about what you have said and then give a response.  This thoughtful pause often is unsettling for other races, particularly humans and Halflings.   Some say the Morgerim are able to detect lies in others because of this trait, while others say it is because they hear so well they recognize the lie as it leaves your lips.  No one is certain which is the truth.  The Kativoyim acknowledge the fact that other races may shade their dealings in trade negotiations, and are trained to tolerate a moderate amount of exaggeration.   If total deceit or rampant duplicity is used to gain an advantage the Morgerim will sever all negotiations.  They can not and will not trust that person again, and will refuse any attempts at further dealings.  The Morgerim enigmatically say, “death are lies - let darkness resolve”.

One unique thing about the Morgerim is their love of practical jokes.  They derive great entertainment from them and consider prank-playing an art form in its own right.  A practical joke can often take years in the making and is usually quite subtle.  High praise is bestowed on the Morgerim who can carry out such a joke, and in turn the recipient of a great joke feels honored.  There is a story of one Morgerim taking a century to create a practical joke he played on a Gornegron (literally a clan chieftain).  When the joke was finally realized the Gornegron is said to have laughed for a month.  The Gornegron couldn’t stop shaking his head in admiration as each new carefully-crafted segment of the joke was revealed.  They say he entered the realm of Trum-Baroll very happy.  These practical jokes are never harmful or a vicious attack on another.  They are meant to entertain the clan, and even the target of the joke finds it humorous and laugh at themselves for falling into the joke.   It has been found that these practical jokes are seldom used on other races.  When asked why, the Morgerim respond, “the other races do not know how to laugh.”, although a Kativoyim has on occasion been successful in playing a practical joke on another race without them being the wiser.  When this occurs and related to the clan, the Kativoyim is greatly applauded.

Coat of Arms:

Like all the Thergerim clans, the Morgerim do not have a coat of arms per se, but are identified by their oremark, a white hand on a vertical black diamond.  The vertical black diamond is a representation of the Morgerim when they were first carved from obsidian.  The white hand signifies the hand of Kwontvil.  The Morgerim say this represents the instant in which he laid his hand on the breast of the first carved Morgerim and brought forth life.  This oremark will be found on any work a Morgerim has had a hand in.  It should be noted here that on occasion a craftsman attains a very high quality in a particular area and the clan will grant them their own unique version of the clan oremark, known as that craftsman´s forgemark.   When this happens, the recipient will contemplate over a design for however long it takes until they have one they feel best represents them.  It is not unheard of for this brooding process to take years.

Territory:

The Morgerim categorically refuse to give any kind of direction, area or general location to any of their enclaves.  It is even believed that other Thergerim don’t even know these locations.  And even if they do, respect the wishes of their cousins enough not to divulge their secret.  It is known however, that there are at least two such enclaves, although it is possible there is a third.  Speculations as to possible sites are many and far ranging, but the most popular areas mentioned are the Mountains of Oro and the Prominent Mountains.  Again this is all speculation and for all any one knows they could be far to the north in the Vindel Mountains.  
« Last Edit: 28 August 2010, 06:39:57 by Thuja » Logged
Thuja
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2010, 02:05:33 »

Here is the main history also.  What other will need to be discussed with others.  I will be treading on their territory and getting agreement on ideas are................ prolonged (yeah that is the best way to say it  cool )

17000 b.S.       Trum-Baroll gives the Thergerim the knowledge of hammer and anvil, and the lore of Metal Admixture.

11703 b.S.    Kurak the Magesmith creates his magic anvil. Vurag of Imlith steals the anvil and hides in the Prominent Mountains.

ca. 9500 b.S – 9000 b.S.   

WAR OF THE CHOSEN
The Morgerim clans combine to create a vast army to face Me’ahltahnlis, a chosen of Etherus.  She wielded terrible mind magic and it was left to the Morgerim to take the brunt of the attacks.  Their innate ability to resist magics that affect the mind was strengthened when assembled in this great army.  Thus they were able to defeat her and her army.

TIME OF TEARS
The Morgerim suffered huge losses in the war, as both male and female had fought against the tyranny.  Thousands died and hundreds of families were no longer.  It is said that only a few hundred Morgerim survived.   It was a time of great weeping and sadness by the dwarves. It was at this time that the Morgerim decided to do away with the traditional gender-based divisions of labor, as every member was needed to survive.

GREAT MIGRATION
With the Morgerim clan halls so barren and filled with ghosts of those that were no more it was decided to abandon their halls.  The remaining Morgerim gathered together and set out to find other places to live, withdrawing from the rest of the world.

ca. 3500 b.S      
THE AWAKENING(?)
   After centuries of seclusion the Morgerim were visited with a vision from Kwontvil, letting their clan know that they were not to hide from the world any more.  He said, “the people I have created need not hide in the dark”.  It was during this time that the first of the children that would be known as Kativoyim were born.

This vision, while cherished by the Morgerim, is considered uncanonical, if not outright heretical, by most other dwarven clans.  This difference of beliefs is one obvious reason why the Morgerim remain as isolated as they still are.
Sparkle
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 13

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2010, 02:30:47 »

Wants... to... comment... *waits for icon change*

Here and there, whole mighty trees glowed with an emitted phosphorescent light. You could trace the very course of the great roots in the earth by a faint light that came through; and every twig, and every vein on every leaf was a streak of pale fire.
George MacDonald, Phantastes
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 28 August 2010, 02:42:40 »

Morgerim in the Caaehl...oh please...oh please...

grin

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 28 August 2010, 04:09:13 »

A suggestion for you Thuja, though I may not be the bard KorWurt translates to MasterCraft which may be a suitable term for the life-work.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 28 August 2010, 04:19:28 »

Hi Thuja,

As one who joined after your last active period, I just wanted to say: Welcome back to the Dream!

And also: the passage about the practical jokes is a gem! What a wonderful idea. Are you going to give us an example of one of those long-prepared Morgerim pranks that induce weeks of laughing? I'm immensely curious!

Shabakuk
« Last Edit: 28 August 2010, 04:21:27 by Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang » Logged

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 28 August 2010, 06:08:46 »

Welcome back, and a lovely entry.

Just a small note, though I see you are not ready for full commenting:
The Morgerim also have a natural defense against magic, especially magical spells that are used to try and affect the mind or emotions of the target.  This is not to say that magic does not affect them at all, just that their bodies seem to dampen the power of any spell.  A truly powerful mage could cause considerable damage, but the Morgerim are able to resist a lesser mage’s spell.  In fact, a mage that is weak in magic who attempts to use a spell on Morgerim will cause them great anger.  They will focus this rage at the offending mage and make every effort to kill them.  It is only the magical spells of the mind that they seem immune to.  This is probably due to the pragmatic way in which the Morgerim view and live life, and it is so intertwined into their psyche that no spell can alter them.

The bits in yellow appear to be contradictory. Don't know if you were planning to expand on it, but thought I would mention it before  I forgot.

Athviaro

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Thuja
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 28 August 2010, 06:37:59 »

I guess I should correct that to mean no mind magic can change their beliefs or their set way of thinking.  Thanks for pointing that out.

KorWurt could work well, but I was hoping for a unique Bard word for this, as it is a rare occasion that it happens.  Thanks for the help.  i will keep this in mind.
« Last Edit: 28 August 2010, 06:44:13 by Thuja » Logged
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]