Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Nehtor Dances - Edited  (Read 4394 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 20 September 2010, 23:49:40 »

The god of healing dances, panpipes in hand, amid a cloud of stars...

and a closeup of Nehtor's face:

NOTE:  Edited to reflect, hopefully, the helpful critique and commentary I've received!    There are still some apparent crudities, but I'm happier with the proportions of the body, and the melancholy in the face.  
« Last Edit: 16 December 2010, 19:10:29 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2010, 03:09:28 »

Wow. A picture of one of the Twelvern! Just wow. So much different than how I imagined. I assume this is the elven perspective? But where are the tattoos? I guess I always thought of Nehtor as the human version, but this elven one is so unique and beautiful that it doesn't fit the standard mold of how a god is supposed to look like.

I love it. Just love it.  :D

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2010, 17:11:33 »

Hi Judy, did you intend to mix up  two of the three descriptions of the entry? Or is this one not mention in the entry? It misses, as Azhira says, the tattoes of the dancing god, but has the panflute and the brooding face of the second described picture. A melting of both descriptions?

I leave the pointing out of some flaws (different sized eyes e.g., not fitting for a perfect god) to Seeker and Art. I'm busy the next days. The first impression is good!

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2010, 03:30:26 »

First of all: Have another aura +1 for continued fabulous work as far as our picture output is concerned! Especially as we're getting lots of Santhworld material with your latest images as well, which unfortunately have to be kept from the Forum in order not to give too much away. But all extremely helpful stuff you put together, so on behalf of Shab and myself a big thank you for all the time you put into this!  thumbup

Ok, now to Nehtor: Great to see anotehr God being illustrated - we have quite a bunch done, and if we can get Nehtor this adds another key figure for our Twelvern Gods! clap

I see that you take the interpretation of the more recent Quaelhoirhim as basis for the picture opposed to the ancient tattooed version, and that's perfectly fine. It's a "much more familiar fashion" as is written in the text, so I'd say that's quite ok to have it that way. Showing elven ears to stress this view would be a good option to get that across.

Concerning the androgynous guy itself: A few things look a bit off right now methinks from my perspective. He seems to stand on a rather long leg, but the thigh of the second leg appears somewhat short, even though that might be partly due to the perspective the viewer looks on the picture. On the other hand the arms both seem a bit short, especially the one near the body. On the other hand the head appears rather large - or maybe it's that the hands appear short and thus the head appears larger than it should be. So all in all: There are mostly some proportion problems that should be tweaked - if you change something here, this will automatically have an effect there.

I think the general idea also lovely - the dancing pose, the "fairy dust" spreading around the pan pipe, the floaing hair. As for the latter two: Maybe some more single strands of hair would be nice and some more texture on the pan pipe, which looks a bit drawn still. :)

Not an easy picture Judy, but very well worth the effort! Very happy to see this one in the works!  grin

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2010, 10:19:16 »

Thank you for that detailed critique, dear Sage!

I keep looking at the picture with those same dissatisfactions - and since I used a Krishna statue as a reference for the pose, I checked the proportions against that.  The lengths are right on the legs: the problem is that my shadowing does not correctly suggest the foreshortening on the thigh, as you observe!  I will keep reworking that area and see if I can get more of a sense of depth.  Same with the arms, though they could be subtly lengthened anyhow to give more grace.   The hands are simply too small for the arms and torso, but that's a fairly easy fix.    Face and hair will get more detail, and perhaps I'll make the panpipe from Songgrass (Santharian bamboo) and give it the striations and speckles of that giant grass.

I also thought of putting something in the raised hand - perhaps an arv or the other floral symbol?   No more art for a couple of days as I overdid the cleaning and drawing yesterday (we have a ten-day vacation here because of the Korean Thanksgiving celebration, Chuseok) and my carpal tunnel is acting up - but keep an eye on this thread...  :)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 01 October 2010, 12:12:39 »

I have just figured out that 'Songgrass' does not exist yet, or 'Windgrass' as I called it in the Nightshade Carnival.  However, in the overview of tropical plants we DO have the Windsong.  My confusion is understandable.

I am formally reserving the Windsong entry to flesh out as our Caelerethian bamboo (to which there are also references on the site, so I may as well incorporate that name as well....)

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 01 October 2010, 12:56:32 »

A beautiful piece!  I especially like the solemn expression--"brooding" as you say.  And the "Krishna" pose works really well, evoking a sense of the mythical/mystical somehow.

Aura + 1 from me!

Alysse the Likely
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 01 October 2010, 23:49:27 »

The image of a god with tattoos is what really intrigued me from the entry though...

undecided

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2010, 13:59:00 »

I can't believe I missed this post, I just saw it today.  Anyhow

First off the background is just beautiful.  thumbup I love the columns and the greenery looks great.  As far as the God himself I don't have an opinion about which version (elven, human etc) is better but I will say I think the composition works very well with the pan flute and the "glitter" it all works very well.

Some other already commented on a few things that didn't seem right.  Let me try and help.  On the face the shadows on the nose imply a larger nostril on one side than the other.  Also the mouth is rather small.  If this is intentional please leave it as is.  However the average mouth is as wide as from one pupil to the other (measure down from the eyes).

On to the leg.  The thigh of the left leg is lifted and pointing slightly toward the viewer (thus it is shorter..good)  However the left foot is therefore not pointed in the correct direction.  This is all a bit confused because there is no defined knee to help the viewer put the two parts of the leg in context. Resulting in the illusion of a strange leg.  All fixable. 

Finally the head does seem a bit big.  Try shrinking it a bit and see if you like it.  If not leave it as is.

Again a beautiful composition.  :)

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2010, 16:09:06 »

Seeker, that's exactly the sort of detailed critique that I appreciate, nay, prize.

I often come back to a picture the next day and this sort of dialog starts playing in my head:  "I can SEE that the thigh 'looks' too short even though I know it HAS to be that way...so what did I do wrong?  Shadows?  Which way is that foot really angled?  How can I shade these fingers to make them look properly bent?  What exactly is it about the eyes that look 'flat'?"    So commentary that analyzes those issues in succinct and helpful detail is truly reassuring and helpful.

Something to inspire me to go FIX it!  Thank you!

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2010, 22:24:57 »

All right.  Four hours and a sore wrist later, I'm going to see what you people think of this version.  It has just occurred to me that I should've left the old version up for comparison, but... only so much room in my Facebook photo folder....

Hugs,
J

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 04 October 2010, 07:35:58 »

Ouch.  Even after a good night's sleep my carpal tunnel is still complaining.  I should just slow down on these things!   However, I don't want Nehtor to fall off the bottom of the list, with all you active posters, before he gets a few more comments on his edited appearance.... :D  ....so posting to bump!

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 October 2010, 07:51:24 »

I have been on all day and didn't realize you edited this, so good for the bump.

Well well, I think this looks great.  Since I just studied the pic yesterday I can tell you the changes today jump right out to me.  (in a good way) The face looks much more natural with the nose fixed and the mouth.  Everything is much more balanced there. And the head is in better proportion to the body. 

Also the leg looks much more natural, we can see the way in which it is bending now and the foot looks great. Well done indeed.

Oh I neglected to praise the pan flute in my last post.  I love it.  Perhaps I need to work on an overview for the musical instruments and we can get that picture in there as well.

+1 Aura from me.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 October 2010, 08:21:54 »

Agreed! Looks great with the tweaks and edits. Although that right foot looks a bit off. Maybe the toes need a bit more defined and overall made longer (the foot that is). I think I said the same thing about the Anilya pic...seems my eye is drawn towards well drawn feet. Should I seek help for that?  :P

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 05 October 2010, 02:11:38 »

We're getting there, we're getting there, Judy...  grin

But I have to agree that there's still something wrong with the legs. I guess it's actually the left leg of our dear God is too long now - have a look at that veeeery long thigh! While the left leg definitely looks much shorter than it should be, though of course you need to keep in mind that there's distortion due to the perspective we're looking at the picture. Here the thigh could still be a bit longer methinks.

As for the left leg: Maybe Nethor doesn't necessarily need to stand, but he could dance on his tiptoes (like a ballet dancer). If the foot what be lifted that way a bit, the overall proportions would fit much better together, I'd say.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 77
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 90
Total: 90

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!