Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Ash'Mari Men  (Read 1851 times)
Alexandre Scriabin

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« on: 16 November 2010, 04:49:29 »

I have been doing some study of the Ash'Mari in the past couple of days, and the weapons and holidays, festivals, and observances sections made it evident that there needs to be a section made for their religious beliefs:

Weapons The Ash'mari viewpoint on warfare and the need of libations of blood to the soil restricts what weaponry the barbarians use. No bows or slings are used as the outpouring of blood with such wounds are not enough. Thrown spears and axes are the extent of the ranged weapons used. For close combat the most common weapon is the axe, this is for no other reason then the cuts of the axe allow the most blood to flow and thus appeases their gods even more.

Swords, spears, and long knifes are used as well, though most often as secondary weapons. Shields are viewed much as clothing in battle is. It is nothing more then a way to take the gods favor away from you by insulting their ability to protect you. If one of the gods wants you to die no matter what amount of armor you wear it will do no good.

Maximizing blood spilling to please the gods? Refraining from the use of armor and shields? Is there a reason the gods prefer this? Which gods are they praying to for protection? And what about their theology concerning those gods?

Holidays, Festivals and Observances The Ash'mari do not have festivals so much as they do have rites. The difference being that there is not much in the way of happiness or communal joys. Rather there are usually individual events based upon actions.

Taug'fa'yale ("Burning Man Feast")
      In the midst of summer when all of the Fa'yale ("Burning Man" flowers) have been gathered and turned into dye, ritualistic tattooing begins. Males who wish to be tattooed use sharp knives to slice the runes they desire deep into their skin. The deeper one goes the more effective the rune as more of ones own blood is spilled into the ground in tribute to their gods. With the aid of much meade and ale, the dye is pressed into the wound. When the wound heals it will remain a blood red line in the shape of the rune. The coloration is important due to its representation of the blood gift to the gods. This feast has no actual begin or end date, but usually lasts for several days as it takes some time to prepare the dye and to administer it to the many who want it.

Taug'put ("Blood Feast")
      This is a one day event that occurs at different times for different warriors. After the first person they kill, they take the body and proceed to slice it open more. This allows them to take their victim's blood and drench their naked form in it. They then proceed to go into isolation for one day and allow the blood to dry upon themselves. This is viewed as the rite of manhood, for by allowing it to dry upon them it has soaked into themselves giving them all of the powers their victim possessed. Many a young warrior falls to an older one in an attempt to take a strong warrior's blood for his first kill as a stronger foe is bound to have stronger blood.

Taug'dirg ("Leader's Feast")
      This is a one day event that only takes place when a new Ash'mystrume has defeated the old leader. The old leaders head is taken and the skin peeled from the skull. The skin is then cut vertically down the forehead, nose, and mouth region. The new Ash'mari leader then puts on the skin of the old leader upon his head. For that day he is feasted and made drunk. No one else participates, he alone as the Ash'mystrume is allowed. After the day is over the skin is tossed away as all power has by then been drained from the vanquished leader. The talismen that hung in the hair and beard are reaffixed in the new leader's hair and beard respectively, showing he now holds all power that the old Ash'mystrume held.

The tattooing festival was described as ritualistic, which implies that there is religious fervor involved in the event. As for the other two, I can see that they are more involved in culture and politics than religion.

In summation, here are a few questions I have about the Ash'Mari:

1. Who do they worship?
2. How and why do they worship the way they worship?
3. How does this affect their culture; Is it the reason that they see everything through such a fanatical, brutal perspective?

So, does anyone agree that the Ash'Mari are in need of a religion section?

"If there is anyone here whom I have not insulted, I beg his pardon."

Johannes Brahms
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 16 November 2010, 05:27:43 »

This section is definitely missing in this entry. However, it will not be easy to fill this gap, especially for an inexperienced writer in our Santharian lands.

You have posted some good questions though.

1. Who do they worship?

They fell away from their gods Sur'tyan and Lier'tyan  and started to worship bloodthirsty gods.

2. How and why do they worship the way they worship?

Well, I would say, that their relation to the Diorye'oleal or how they were and are treated are the main source..

3. How does this affect their culture; Is it the reason that they see everything through such a fanatical, brutal perspective?

It is not at all an easy task, Alexandre. Do you think you are up to it? It is surely not a pleasant either - I would not want to write that up.

Your are aware, that what is on the site has to be respected as far as possible? So you can't change the character of that tribe and make out of them nice people who just act like this , because they are suppressed. You need to study the Diorye'oleal as well very closely.

I'm sure you have already some ideas, post them in the Cosm forum and Azhira and me will have a look at it.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 November 2010, 06:01:54 »

Are you volunteering, Alex? That tribe (like most Northern tribes) could use some work and a dedicated developer to flesh them out. You are more than welcome to present ideas and go for it.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Alexandre Scriabin

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 November 2010, 06:03:17 »

It is not at all an easy task, Alexandre. Do you think you are up to it? It is surely not a pleasant either - I would not want to write that up.

If I don't impress upon you that I should be the one working on it when I make my proposals (which are in the works), I would be happy to see the project go into anyone's hands. Moreover, as a lover of this site, I am mostly interested in seeing a religion section made, and relatively interested in making it.

Your are aware, that what is on the site has to be respected as far as possible? So you can't change the character of that tribe and make out of them nice people who just act like this , because they are suppressed. You need to study the Diorye'oleal as well very closely.

Yes, I am aware that if I am to make a religion section for them, it has to corroborate with everything else about them. In no way, shape, or form do I intend to change the character of the tribe, or oppose any of the information already given about the Ash'Mari and Diorve'oleal tribes.

I'm sure you have already some ideas, post them in the Cosm forum and Azhira and me will have a look at it.

Within the week, I will submit my ideas. It will just take some time to formulate and organize my ideas.

Johannes Brahms
Alexandre Scriabin

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 November 2010, 06:04:55 »

Are you volunteering, Alex? That tribe (like most Northern tribes) could use some work and a dedicated developer to flesh them out. You are more than welcome to present ideas and go for it.

Thank you for the warm reception; Yes, I am most definitely volunteering to do some work on it. I've had a lively interest in the Northern tribes for some time now, and would like to take up some of the work of getting them fully fleshed out.

Johannes Brahms
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 November 2010, 07:06:52 »

I'd love to hear more of your ideas, Alex. As the main Kuglimz developer, I also have a strong interest and foothold in that area.  You'll probably want to look at some of the Kuglimz traditions to get an idea of where the Ashmari are coming from as well, so if you have any questions, feel free to throw them in my direction.  We barbarians must stick together against all those soft Southerners, after all.

I would have welcomed you sooner, but I am still catching up after an extended absence due to an unreliable internet connection. I will keep an eye out for your work in the next little while.  And welcome!

Alysse the Likely
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 16 November 2010, 07:18:10 »

Hi Alex, and welcome to the Development Board!

A worthy topic you've chosen there! Good luck! Meanwhile, it's a good idea to post in the Newcomers Forum and introduce yourself to those who don't know you from the RPG side. Usually there are fun and nibbles to be had in one's 'newbie thread'... And drinks, too, for those who don't like fun, or nibbles.

Shabakuk (Fu / Lili)

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 November 2010, 07:43:08 »

Alex, welcome! As Shabby said, go ahead and introduce yourself at the Newbie Forums for nibbles and a chance to meet the hardcore developers! You may be a CD mod, but those ones (like Seekers, he's scary) won't know you.

Athviaro (Leif)

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 77
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!