Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: A Feast of Santharian Snacks for Hungry Hobbits (or more)  (Read 3565 times)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« on: 19 November 2010, 22:28:36 »

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc4/hs1129.snc4/149181_457366553586_517153586_5682138_5790552_n.jpg

Some Santharian goodies , brought to life.  I noticed that Art had carefully put my Petitioners and Seeker's Doch Nut illustrations into the little circles in the Overview.... http://www.santharia.com/food_and_drinks/snacks_of_santharia.htm but that only made the other little circles look woefully empty (dare I say, hungry?) by comparison.

So I present this table of nibbles, for your munching pleasure.   Art will have to do the cropping and circling for the Snack Overview, but in the meantime we have one main illustration to which we can direct our starving newbies...

And, just to be even more helpful, a gloss, until such time as the pics wind up with their entries/overviews...

Santharian Snack Food

Moving widdershins around the table, beginning with the popped Bredden grains at the bottom centre, we see some of the most popular and delicious snacks available in the Santharian Kingdom. Next to the popped grains are some rolled Thyslan Spice Cakes.  One can see the sugared nut filling oozing from their centres...   Above them are the savory Drake’s Eggs, which have been boiled in cha’ah to give them their flavor and colour.  Next comes the very spicy Jhelhee dip, which is often served with the following snacks; Timbers (deepfried tuberroots sliced into long logs) or Crispies (also tuberroots fried, simply cut into ovals).  We can see them on the blue platter at the top of the table.  Let us not overlook the beautifully coloured Hearthberry nuggets, peppery and tangy, to their left!  To the top right of the table are the roasted yamtubers, a very simple but flavorful snack which is popular in the winter.  The Thergerim are responsible for inventing the next snacks; Shrooms and Koekenchips, both made from mushrooms - but they are now a favorite of many races!  We see some crunchy Oya Nuts (actually spiced dried peas), looking as though someone couldn’t resist stealing a handful already, and just below them, the famed Northman’s Pot, a spicy bean stew with cheese and weeproot.  Last, but definitely not least, in the bottom right corner, the wonderfully salty Sunseeds take their place.  Truly, a bounty of snacks that would make any hobbit begin to drool, or as they say in the North, would tempt an orc to turn peaceful!
« Last Edit: 16 December 2010, 18:05:38 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 19 November 2010, 23:24:46 »

*haha* Wonderfully delicious, Judy! Obviously Seeker's banquet was not enough and we need more food! Our overviews soon will look pretty filled, just like our stomaches :D

Aura +1 for this tasty contribution!  cool

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 20 November 2010, 00:55:43 »

The chips might need a little adjustment yet: their edges are too conspicuous... but in the meantime there are quite a few other foods that can be circle-cropped and added into the overview!  Will fix that later: bedtime for now.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 20 November 2010, 02:08:30 »

This is great Judy.  I would suggest that we not be too picky on the picture details as these are really just going to be used for the circle pics and each one will not be that large.  So from me I say just  clean up what you want, the edges as you said, and lets see this integrated. 

This is really great Aura +1 from me. My favorite are the savoury drake eggs and the thyslan spice cakes.  Yum yum.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 20 November 2010, 21:58:36 »

Looks scrumptious!

(My son Daniel's comment:  "Where are the honey slugs?")  :D

Alysse the Likely
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 20 November 2010, 22:39:08 »

Funny, that's what Tharoc was complaining about too.  Possibly to divert attention from the fact that he co-opted the platter on the way from the kitchens...

However, AFAIK the honey slyggs are NOT listed in the Snack overview, so I think you'll have to take that up either with Dame Sausade or our webmaster and sage!

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 28 November 2010, 19:55:30 »

An edited version of the Snacks is available here, for our webmaster's convenience!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/bardjudith/5213617867/#/photos/bardjudith/5213617867/lightbox/

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 November 2010, 21:52:14 »

Why am I sitting here in a cafe and am eating Greek salad on soggy white bread? I want bredden popcorn! I want drake's eggs!

Aura. Brilliant picture, and lovely description, too. "Widdershins" - nice word!
« Last Edit: 28 November 2010, 23:15:04 by Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang » Logged

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 30 November 2010, 01:39:19 »

Moving widdershins around the table, beginning with the popped Bredden grains at the bottom centre, we see some of the most popular and delicious snacks available in the Santharian Kingdom. Next to the popped grains are some rolled Thyslan Spice Cakes.

I love your description, Judith - but I noticed one detail: your description doesn't actually move widdershins around the table, for widdershins is counter-clockwise (against the apparent direction of movement of the sun, as I learned from the Oxford English Dictionary), whereas your description takes the clockwise direction.

"Mowickle-wise" (which would be one possible Santharianization) seems a bit laboured as an expression. Maybe you could say "moving around the table as sun and moon around the disk" (for on Caelereth, both sun and moon move 'clockwise' - the sun from East to West in the South, the Moon from West to East in the North)?

But then again, I'd miss the lovely "widdershins" if it was removed from the text. Maybe you've got a better idea?
« Last Edit: 30 November 2010, 01:53:59 by Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang » Logged

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 30 November 2010, 03:09:37 »

Thanks for the final version, Judy! Will be added soon to the overview to complete it. As far as I can see the remaining three meals indeed on the picture cover the complete current Snacks overview and we'll have everything illustrated on this page, providing a smashing example on how a complete overview should look like! Wonderful!  thumbup

Shabakuk has a point with his "widdershins" comment BTW! Seems he got that one right... Anyway, the other thing is that the picture as a whole including the very detailed description is still looking for a place on the site. Because putting it in the overview isn't very effective if everything is added below again once more. Any entry dealing with a feast where we could put it? Or a part of an entry that deals with a feast? Would be nice to have the whole thing somewhere!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 November 2010, 03:29:46 »

How about just redoing the description? Thus:

Oh, and before I start, Judy, you seem to Americanise "flavour" and all the "-our/or" words except for colour, which you spell correctly in the English British manner. Anyhow.

Moving widdershins around the table, beginning with the popped Bredden grains at the bottom centre, we see some of the most popular and delicious snacks available in the Santharian Kingdom. Next to the popped grains, the wonderfully salty Sunseeds take their place, and just above them the famed Northman's pot, a spicy bean stew with cheese and weeproot. We then see some crunchy Oya nuts, which are actually spiced dried peas, lookong as though someone couldn't resist stealing a handful already, and then two Thergerim dishes: Shrooms and Koekenchips, both made from mushrooms and, despite their origins, now the favorites of many races! In the top right of the table are the roasted yamtubers, a very simple but flavoursome snack especially popular in the winter months. Next, on the blue platter at the top of the table, are the Timbers - deepfried tuberroots sliced into long logs - and Crispies - also fried tuberroots, simply cut into ovals - both of which are frequently served with the exceedingly spicy Jhelhee dip. Let us not overlook the beautifully coloured Hearthberry nuggets, peppery and tangy, just above this. Under the dip are the savoury Drake's Eggs, which have been boiled in cha'ah to give them their flavour and colour, and below them some rolled Thyslan spice cakes. One can see the sugared nut filling oozing from their centres...

And on that delicious note, goodbye. I'm off for a snack.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Cruciform
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

a cruciform kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2010, 03:46:31 »

A bit late here, but this is a lovely picture, Judy. I don't really have a whole lot to say on it other than that. :S I could really go for some chilli or nachos right now, though... I have to wait until tomorrow to get paid, though. =C

Oh, and before I start, Judy, you seem to Americanise "flavour" and all the "-our/or" words except for colour, which you spell correctly in the English British manner. Anyhow.

I'd say that calling it English and not British would be correct, considering that we Australians also use correct, and not bastardised, English. Google Chrome even tells me that I spelled "bastardised" incorrectly there. Hah. Stupid Chrome.

:: cruciform kaleidoscope (Dev. Schedule) ::
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 November 2010, 06:07:33 »

True...but it sounds vaguely colonial grin I suppose you would say that Aussies use British English. But anyhow.

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 November 2010, 08:22:27 »

It is not English ... it is bloody Australian ... in the words of one famous Aussie. :D

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Cruciform
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 18

a cruciform kaleidoscope

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 November 2010, 12:27:44 »

It is not English ... it is bloody Australian ... in the words of one famous Aussie. :D

Contractions, contractions! "It's", it is. We Australians are lazy in our pronunciation, you should know this! In fact, despite my love of language and proper grammar, I'm extremely lax when I speak. I sound really ocka, too. And I'm a tiny bit of a bogan sometimes. I like to think of myself as an "urban bogan".

Umm, er... let's buy a slab, and, yeah, I can't think of any more just-Australian words...

</tangent> Sorry! *Flees*

:: cruciform kaleidoscope (Dev. Schedule) ::
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1081
Latest: lolanixon
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 105
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 84
Total: 84

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!