Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Hiveling Storybook: introduction and contents with teasers  (Read 3689 times)
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 138

View Profile
« on: 12 February 2011, 00:01:44 »

right, I'm going to shove together the introduction and the contents for now, to try and save space and keep things together. also there'll be a list of links to the stories with where they are on the compendium now.

A General Introduction, with reflections on the sound of wings.

A whole greater than the sum of the parts. That is the essence and heart of what a hiveling is. We don’t know why or how they do it, though we delight in coming up with reasons. For a creature so scarcely seen, there are a great many stories. Maybe it’s because they look like us, flattering our imaginations by moulding themselves into better, lighter, freer versions of ourselves, like enchanted, mocking mirrors. Possibly it’s simple vanity that prompts these thousand stories and songs and snatches half remembered from long-ago-times. Maybe it’s because they take an interest in us, and do such strange things, such familiar things that we think they must be like us – they dance, and watch, and even try to speak with us. They seem to have emotions, as well, to be capable of compassion and terrible rages and even love, if you would take the word of this collection of stories. Yet all of this is made out of tiny, thoughtless creatures, most often insects. Sometimes the vilest sorts of insects, parasites and predators and damned bloodsucking nuisances-

[The remainder of the passage heavily scratched out and marred by remains of a dead moss skeetoh]

But nevertheless there are stories from everywhere that hivelings could possibly occur. This collection represents but a handful of these, seeking to convey the diversity of viewpoints surrounding the mythical, inscrutable creatures.

Prevalence:
Wherever there are winged creatures in sufficient numbers, there can be hivelings, and therefore there can be hiveling stories, songs, poems, paintings... from impermanent sand-drawings done by the people of Aeruillin, representing the horse-hivelings that occur there, to northern tales of hivelings as messengers of the gods and rewarders of faith, there seem to be few corners of the disk where the word hiveling, or its local equivalent, will not yield some work of imagination and folk-memory.

History/Origin/Purpose:
The kind of tale told, though, varies greatly depending on location. Often in harsher landscapes the hivelings are regarded as emissaries of the gods – the Remusian tale of The Trial of Ugrahadze is a good example, where the Fisah-eck-Shanno hiveling is depicted unambiguously as acting by the will of Nechya. There are other examples though – in the bleak marshes of the Galumbé, where the Mullogs dwell, the hiveling is seen as an emissary of the Ancestors. The Ciosan founding myth also has a hiveling as emissary of the goddess of the sea. It seems that when people are in need of reassurance, a hiveling becomes a useful vessel.

In other areas, however, the depiction varies. Sometimes hivelings are sinister figures, representations of wilderness and mystery. The popular Sarvonian tale of The Bee’s Gift seems to straddle the border between hivelings as emissaries of the gods and inscrutable phenomena of nature. The hiveling in question seems to act simply out of compassion, with possibly a note of mischevious pleasure in confounding authority. On the other hand, there are areas where hivelings, far from representing the beneficence of nature, are real threats, as reflected in the cautionary tale of the Nohopuku, or the Ballad of the Headless Hiveling. There are even stories of hivelings falling in love with people, though these tend to be old and fragmentary and understandably fuzzy on details. But the echoes of such tales can perhaps be seen in ones still told today, such as that of Ewyn’ine and the Aek’ash.

In a few stories, mostly barely-remembered fragments, they are something altogether older and more furious. Links to the titan myths, and to the horror-stories surrounding dreamlike infestations, seem to abound, without it ever quite being made clear what these links are. The fragment of story known as Dronomin and the Losthane, or sometimes the Box-lid tale, is the closest scholars have come to an explanation of what hivelings really are, rather than what they do.

Importance:
A peoples’ mythology defines and unites them. Having stories which everyone knows is as important as a shared history or flag or language, and is a part of all those things, it binds a collection of individuals into a whole greater than the sum of the parts. Hiveling myths are unique to the people that tell them, but they also stretch further, because everyone knows a story about a man made of bees, or birds, or skeetohs1. Is it possible that this kind of common experience can push past boundaries of tribe and race? Probably not, given what happened when the Ice Tribesmen I was staying with found my notes on orcen storytelling. But you never know. Certainly there is something that catches the imagination in the very idea of hivelings. As the Antislar say, “Skeetohs bite, men fight, ‘tohwights2 do neither and never alight.”

1The gods save them if they do. Damned flies keep getting inside my hood!
2A local dialect word for hivelings made of moss skeetohs.
« Last Edit: 14 May 2011, 23:23:50 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

violence is not the answer, but you get marks if you show your working.

Santharia needs your molluscs! donate molluscs now!
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 12 February 2011, 00:18:51 »

Contents with Teasers (and links/directions to text where approriate)

1.General Introduction with reflections on the sound of wings, by Seth GhibtaAttached to the original manuscript of this collection, this report by Seth Ghibta goes some way towards summing up the draw of hivelings, the fascination they have long held with all races who encounter them, all over the world. Readers may wish to note that this report was written whilst the researcher was travelling in northern Sarvonia, investigating rumours of Skeetoh hivelings, and the precise circumstances under which they were written seem not to have contributed to authorial coherence.

2.The Bee’s Gift, by Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang.
The tale of the “boy who was good for nothing” is known all over Sarvonia. It provides a mythological account of how humans learned to keep malise (honeybees) in hives, so as to collect a regular harvest of honey. Among scholars of mythology, the tale is famous for the prominent role played by the hiveling, a creature who summons a swarm of insects to form a temporary body for itself. - It is not thought polite to tell this story in the company of nobility, as its morality is suspected of being slyly subversive to the feudal social order.
found in library>bedtime stories> santhalan bedtime stories
Go to story

3.Naulé and the Ancestors’ song, by Seth Ghibta (trans. By Lumbe Bloggson)
This mullog myth concerns the silverwood bug hivelings which occasionally occur in the Silvermarshes. Like many mullog myths and legends, it forms part of a complex and interconnected web of stories making up the vibrant oral culture of this secluded race. Concerning the popular hero Naulé, this myth focuses on the ancestors and their relationship with living mullogs, giving it great significance to the mullogs, who worship their ancestors as sources of sacred heritage and wisdom.
found in cosmology and myth> myth/lore> mullog lore
Go to story

4.The trial of Ugrahadze, by Altario Shialt-Eck-Gorrin
This is a Remusian tale concerning the Ice tribes’ hero Ugrahadze, and his encounter with a hiveling composed of deadly Fisah-eck-Shanno insects. As with many hiveling myths concerning dangerous creatures, the hiveling turns out to be a good deal less vicious than the insects which make it up, serving aptly to illustrate the Ice tribes’ belief that man can, with the help of the gods, master his environment, however hostile.
found in the Fisah-eck-shanno entry: bestiary> animals, smaller> insects> fisah-eck-shanno
Go to entry

5.The founding of Ciosa, by Athviaro-Shyu-eck-Silfayr
When the Glandorians came down from the Kanapan peninsula, under the leadership of Troi Ciosa, they were shipwrecked on a reef at Gebl's Nose Cape, leading them to scuttle the ship and remove the supplies. In this story, stranded in a foreign country, with no more than a few score men, women and children, Ciosa prays to the Goddess of the Sea to show him what to do. He receives a vision and sets out to found a city.
found in cosmology and myth> myth/lore> avennorian lore
Go to story

6.The Nohopuku, by Seth Ghibta
This myth of the 'Vikh people is generally held to be something of an origin tale; explaining the strange apparitions they call "Nohopuku", meaning literally "I will not speak". Nohopuku are an extraordinary phenomenon in themselves – a hiveling composed of the dangerous needlefly, and one of the only kind of hivelings held to be universally dangerous – they will consume any creature which offers them an entrance – usually, as this myth illustrates, an open mouth.
found in cosmology and myth> myth/lore> nybelmarian lore
Go to story

7.Ewyn’ine and the Aek’ash, by Seth Ghibta
The roots of this story are lost in the bitter and longstanding enmity between the Kuglimz people and their orcen neighbours, the Losh-Oc. Similar tales, with many variants, abound throughout Northern Sarvonia, but are largely concentrated in the Kuglimz territories. Though each version is different, twisting the tale to give the best portrait of the people telling it, (a possible exception being the Ashz-Oc version, which seems simply to portray both Kuglimz and Losh-Oc as foolish and thoughtless) the version told here is unique for its ending not with a noble, self-sacrificial death, but the intervention of a third party. Whether this makes it more likely to be true or less so is debatable, but it is quite possible that this myth has basis in truth – even if it is too much to expect to be able to find the truth of it under all the ingrained hatred between races and tribes.
Found in cosmology and myth> myth/lore> kuglimz lore
Go to story

8. Ballad of the Headless Hiveling, By Seth Ghibta
This Nybelmarian traveller’s ballad is often heard, in various different forms and fragments, sung on merchant wagons and inns throughout Nybelmar. It originates with rumours and myths prevalent among those few traders who have to brave the passage across the desert wasteland known as “the Bucket” to the north of the dreaded Venlaken Enclave. It seems to describe a hiveling formed of pikewing moths, a rare apparition at best, but unheard of this far north of the marshes and jungle with which the moths are associated. That said, among hivelings abnormality is something of a norm, so there might be some substance to the tale.
Found in library> poems and songs> ballads of Caelereth
go to poem

9.Dronomin and the Losthane, by Seth Ghibta
This obscure, mysterious myth is believed to be a fragment from a far more in-depth account of the lives of the Titans, the four warlike children of the gods Jeyriall and Armeros. Various evaluations of it suggest it follows on from an account of how Etherus deceived the titans into the belief that they must fight to gain power over one another, and would have in turn been succeeded by other accounts of the specific enmity of each Titan for its brothers, and eventually an account of how they were finally subdued.
Found in cosmology and myth> myth/lore> religious lore
Go to story
« Last Edit: 14 May 2011, 23:23:42 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 February 2011, 20:43:27 »

I like the introduction, Seth! It's uncommonly long for a book introduction, but I don't think that's a bad thing. It's almost its own little entry on hiveling mythology. Well done and aura for finally getting round to collecting all these stories!

A detail:
here are even stories of hivelings falling in love with people, though these tend to be old and fragmentary and understandably fuzzy on details. But the echoes of such a tail can perhaps be seen in ones still told today, such as that of Ewyn’ine and the Aek’ash...
... such tales ... (?)

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 February 2011, 00:48:08 »

well, I vaguely remembered it being said that in recompense for all these individual myth ebtries without the usual preamble, i should try and sum things up in the introduction. :P and thanks for spotting that error, I'll fix it directly.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 15 February 2011, 03:36:07 »

Well, this introduction to the "Hiveling Storybook" is a bit of a mix as far as I can see. You've written it like a regular Myth entry, Seth, so it would go up on site as an entry about the "Hiveling Storybook" I'd say. Then again it collects all the tales, poems and even entries with the lore regarding the Hiveling in it.

So that makes it all a bit difficult to handle. Eventually I guess we should perhaps move all those chapters/parts of the storybook into one separate Library book entry, to which the "Hiveling Storybook" entry would then link (with all the collected intros). And from there we'd link to own sub-pages in Library format.

At least that's the most logical approach I think, though it takes a while to prepare all those stories in the other format. And of course we'd have some tales twice (once in the entry, once in the library entry).

Guess we could at least start with integrating the main entry for the Myths menu, and then - in the course of time - get to prepare the stories one by one in the Library. - Sounds ok? What do you think?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 February 2011, 20:59:41 »

Whichever is easiest from your point of view is fine by me - I wasn't sure how would work best, and that's why i've tried to collect all the useful information into this thread, where it can be seen clearly. I'd be happy to re-jig the introduction for a sort of mythological overview, though I'm not sure it stands up well on its own, might need to think of something toadd to make it worth reading. :)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 16 February 2011, 05:49:17 »

Yeah, if we'd have something that goes on the Library page (at the book page itself), maybe the key parts of this post here, that would be ideal. The entry then contains all details, the Library page the basic overview/teaser. Probably won't be able to set up the book already this update (as I'm away half of the weekend), so I don't need such a book overview/teaser immediately. But it will come in handy when I get to the book page in the Library! :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
seth ghibta
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2011, 21:17:44 »

sounds sensible, I'll get going on that soon as possible. kinda forgot about the overall book teaser.  buck

seth ghibta
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 21 February 2011, 20:54:56 »

aaaand knocked together a teaser for the book as a whole. will this work alright?

Book overview/ teaser

Collecting together a selection of the vast store of mythology and folklore surrounding hiveling apparitions, this tome also offers a glimpse of the diversity of storytelling that can be seen across Caelereth. With stories from two continents, at least three races, and several different compendiumists, the editor’s admittedly fruitless attempt to distil from these stories a single overarching truth falls by the way as unimportant, and indeed emblematic of the mystery that pervades the very existence of hivelings.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 22 February 2011, 04:26:34 »

Yep, that suits our purpose just fine, Seth :) I'll see to set up the book in the coming updates then!

seth ghibta
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 February 2011, 08:58:19 »

Brilliant, thankyou Arti! heart

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 22 February 2011, 16:14:13 »

Nice work, Seth - not very inspiring to write, but necessary! :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]