Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Author Topic: The witch, her hut, and its eight legs  (Read 13072 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #15 on: 24 May 2011, 03:51:39 »

Just wanted to give another aura to you Shab, but I saw I've given you one already yesterday :) Another of these typical Shabakuk entries, very integrative even in details as I found out as I read it, always an enormous joy to see how your mind works and you manage to get it all on digital paper. So you know what you're writing about, and you know how to do it, and that's just a pleasure:

To your possibly planned witch entry just that much, so that you get my initial approach and see where you can make things better: Back in the days there was an infamous thread where I actually wrote a complete Witchcraft entry. My idea behind this and masterplan was to make a full categorization of what magic is in Santharia, starting from the Macanti, over Witchcraft (wild magic), Druidic Magic to Ximaxian and elven magic - explain the differences, approaches etc.

In that concept witchcraft was strongly based on Earthen witchcraft of the middle ages, in Santharia historically explained by a ban of magic after the War of the Chosen and that magic (wild magic) nevertheless was performed secretly by humans. That kind of magic was therefore seen as an unnatural and bad thing, a counterpoint to religion (or a false religion practised with the dark 13th God, very much a "DSA" approach BTW, which is also more historically oriented) - also strongly associated with females in the original concept. At least that was the plan - to have that dark side very strongly stressed. (And maybe later historically transformed into something else.) Anyway, the whole thing was also meant as a strong counterpoint to other kinds of magic to make the point of distinction between the magic types. E.g. to elaborate why a witch is not a druid, stuff like that.

So, to make it short: That's the negative example you have to avoid, because my vision didn't make it on the site :) However, what I want to say is: If you approach witchcraft you should keep the larger picture in mind: What makes a witch different compared to a macanti, a druid, an elf casting magic - what is it that makes witchcraft unique, that sort of thing (without being, well, a more or less undefined something). That's what I'd like to point out, that we need to cover the various aspects of magic, and be as clear as possible with that regarding witchcraft and all other kinds of magic.
« Last Edit: 24 May 2011, 03:55:37 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 May 2011, 05:33:53 »

Thanks for the compliments and the comments, everyone.

I have read that Dark Art of Witchcraft thread from the age of lore. In terms of the 'reality' of what witches are in Santharia, I would indeed like to change direction in several ways. But I would certainly want to salvage some of the historical connections. So I would aim to incorporate the historical references that are already on site (the persecution of witchcraft after the War of the Chosen, for example). But just because evil witches exist, and just because some groups of people believe all witches to be evil, doesn't need to mean that all witches are  in fact evil.

My idea is to make a clear distinction between the perception of witches (by other magic users, by wordly rulers, by common folk, etc.) on the one hand, and the reality of witches (what they actually are) on the other.

I'm sorry, but I don't have the time tonight (or, probably, this week) to sketch out my proposal. I shall not forget, though, and will soonish open a new thread where we can discuss, systematically collect historical and other references, and so on.

Again, thanks for all the nice reactions to this thread and this idea!

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 June 2011, 05:59:19 »

I am happy to announce that this submission is now officially ready for comments!

Since a few people have already read the half-finished draft that I initially posted, I've dyed major additions in this colour. But of course I welcome comments on all sections.

I've permitted myself to make some links between Dula and actual witches, since I've now been allowed to develop witches & witchcraft, and since the general outlines of my ideas have, to my distinct delight, found approval. So I thought it best to start the work of integration and inter-linking right here.

Last but not least, the text now contains a reference to Irid's beautiful "Kelder and Seyella" (Magic Section), and the tale of "The Duke's Love Song" is now a comedy play performed by Black Butterfly Rover troupes, according to Seth's delightful idea (also in the Magic Section).

Ding-dong!
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 June 2011, 09:37:49 »

You may indeed use my particular nomenclature in this entry Shabakuk, and if you'd like further colourful tirades, I'll be all the more happy to provide.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 04 June 2011, 20:03:05 »

Splendid! I'm delighted, old chap!

Tirades are always welcome. If not for this entry, then maybe for the witches & witchcraft project: I wonder whether witchfinders and in particular paranoid fears about witches and witchcraft might provide suitable bones of contention?

Ding-dong!
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 05 June 2011, 06:24:56 »

Shaba, why do I always feel so small, when I have read one of your magnificent entries?  :(

And why do you know such words, none of our native speaker uses, maybe with the exception of Judy:

gobbledygook
humdrum malarkey
gallimaufry

This entry is again so delightful! More please! :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 07 June 2011, 04:27:24 »

Thanks, Talia! I am glad you like it. Why the biographer of Princess Shiana (in my opinion, one of the best People entries on site) should feel small vis-a-vis a humble witch, I cannot fathom.

I went through the text and corrected a few minor mistakes (a missing comma here, an infelicitous phrase there, ...). I also added a picture description, and a little integration note for Artimidor (referring to my use of italics).

Ding-dong!
Grinch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 07 June 2011, 07:21:42 »

Aww, she is such an interesting character, and finally I found the time to read through the whole entry. I loved Hildula and everything around her, the eight-legged hut, Kunigunde, the strange little magical appearances in the hut and of course her mysterious and at the same time openhearted nature.

I was thrilled when I saw that she was well over hundreds of years old and began to think that she might be an important and powerful character. And I'm glad you took the time to create an own entry and put so much passion into telling her whole story.

But there is one thing I miss, Kunigunde. I know you said Hildula or "Dula" loves animals, but I felt that there is more about it, and that Kunigunde takes a special place on her side. Maybe a new story to tell? ;)

Anyway, really good work and I can't wait to see her reappearance in part three.

We are the good ones!
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 09 June 2011, 06:11:10 »

Thanks, Grinch!

You made a really good point. I've added a section on familiars in pink! :)

EDIT: PS: While writing this addition, I found inspiration in your signature, by the way. Hope that's okay!
« Last Edit: 09 June 2011, 06:26:29 by Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang » Logged

Ding-dong!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #24 on: 10 June 2011, 03:45:32 »

Finally, some comments! :D

- Good to see that you mark the italics, Shab, it's really easy to miss them the way I prepare things!

- Shouldn't the first sentence read "She travels in a hut that walks on spiders' legs?" or "a spider's legs". Unsure there, though. In general I assume you're right, though, you seem halfway English already to me... :) Anyway, need to find at least something in a perfect entry like this, so here you go... lol

- Anyway, I like that we really get this personality up on site, as it delves into what has been sketched so far here and there - and as the Witchcraft entry is next, we should be getting a solid base, very cool!

- I love the description, which is very vague, but it is nicely done nevertheless, and the extra touch with the saying of "Dula's Eyes" is a lovely addition as well. Saying are cool, they link everyday live to famous Santharian (or otherwise) persons, people/things and what they represent become more real that way. And here we have a prime example of that. Well done!

- Also, the familiars section connects to a bunch of things I remember from somewhere, alluding to this and that - even rumours and what not, that's how it should be!

- There's something wrong with that sentence in the Twelvern section:

Dula’s character thus seems to stand for the inscrutability of fate, and her fickleness reminds us humans that it our their lot to make life’s most important decisions in ignorance of the consequences.

- I think even the fact that you link the possibly (or not so much) mythical Hildula to some philosophical thoughts (Importance section) makes her even more interesting in the general context. Thus the whole scope of a figure like her ranges from an existential layer to people who just try to make money with her (as the flower example shows), peppered with questions many people have to which they add their superstition...

So, all in all: A true "butterball delight", Shabakuk! Another aura +1 of course, I enjoy entries like this tremendously as it's all there: creativity, context, references, superstition, deeper meaning, myth, all mixed with fantastic small ideas here and there. Simply a treat! Marvellous, Shabakuk!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 10 June 2011, 04:33:50 »

Too much praise, dear Sage! :)

And thanks for the comments. I had thought about that "spider's legs" thing, actually, and wished I had a native speaker's intuition. In response to your comment, I now went with "spider legs", which I hope is correct. It sounds best to me, musically speaking, if I may put it like that.

And I corrected that sentence in the Twelvern section you spotted.

Ding-dong!
Azhira Styralias

Gained Aura: 132

Mód’dél’áey

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 10 June 2011, 05:25:12 »

All hail the Golden Shaba!

worship worship worship

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 12 June 2011, 06:40:43 »

The Shamaness of the North nods, and I, standing at her feet and reaching to her ankles, feel the shadow of her inclined head fall upon me.

Ding-dong!
Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 64

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 14 June 2011, 20:19:33 »

The hut stirs a memory of a book I read long, long ago, called as I remember "A Necklace of Raindrops; and other stories" or some such thing. And, of course, it is highly TARDISy in its spatial discontinuity.

I really love this concept, and I think such pieces of lore are long, long overdue in the Compendium for a realistic world...Aura

Really, really amazing, fantastic work

Auried.

Wait...I already said that. Something like this really deserves two or three just for sheer wonderment.

Arti, can we change the rules? Just for Shaba? :P

Athvi

"I don't care what you did as a boy."
"Well, I did nothing as a girl, so there goes my childhood." - Ginger Rogers and Fred Astaire, The Gay Divorcee, 1934.
The Life and Works of Athviaro Shyu-eck-Silfayr
Kalta'hnk - My ramblings on anything to do with the Glandorians - The Glandorian Men (Proposal)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 14 June 2011, 22:04:20 »

Oh, here, I have a spare aura this evening!  Heaven knows I would never begrudge it to the great and gifted Shab...  :)  (bats her lashes in Ath's direction and then curtseys to Shab)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]