Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Duchy of Gilden; Xarmon Province Patriotic Song  (Read 3285 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« on: 08 August 2011, 18:08:42 »

We are Gilden is a patriotic song about the Duchy of Gilden in Santharia's Xaramon Province in Southern Sarvonia. This song is rumoured to be the combination of some folk songs of the Kyranians, most notably the tunes of "Don't Be Standin' Behind Dem Kyrattin Fer Too Long" and "When Cyroan Came To the Kruswick Steppes" and this has no doubt been a part of the popularity of this song. Composed by Symaj Galgher for black birch baton and resonance organ, this song has been performed most noteably by Keim Dewant in a recent attempt by the Gilden Travel Guild (GTG) to promote interest in the Duchy amongst the members of the nobility who have many more sans than they know what to do with. As well as the original song about Gilden, there have also been versions made of it about specific cities and regions within Gilden, and even the entire province if Xaramon. There are also rumours that there are parodies of We Are Gilden in existence, however the GTG refuses to acknowledge the presence of such songs.

Here then are the words to the most common version of this song ...

We are Gilden
We’re the Duchy of Gilden, from the steppe down to the bays,
We’re a part of Santharia, in the Province of Xaramon,
Come on and see us today!
We are Gilden! (We are Gilden)
And there is a lot to see! (There is a lot to see!)
We’ll amaze your eyes, bring wonder and surprise,
There’s no place that you’d rather be!
We are Gilden!

We’re the Duchy of Gilden, with history deep in the past,
Ruled once by the Kyranians and their cattle, Kyrattin,
But their kingdom, it just didn’t last!
We’ll amaze your eyes, bring you wonder and surprise,
We are Gilden!

We’re the Duchy of Gilden, with Caelum, Naios and other cities,
Come visit the sights, of the days and the nights,
And the people who are willing to please!
We’ll amaze your eyes, bring you wonder and surprise,
We are Gilden!
« Last Edit: 02 September 2011, 23:36:39 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 10 August 2011, 08:34:36 »

I keep hearing this in my mind's ear (which is a lot worse sometimes than seeing it in your mind's eye) to the same sort of cheerful jingle that the evil prince designed into his 'Duloc' promotional puppet show in Shrek I....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ie8pPDfeXIE&feature=related

"Shine your shoes, wipe your...face.... Deeewloc is a perrrrfect place!"

« Last Edit: 10 August 2011, 08:39:12 by Bard Judith » Logged

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 10 August 2011, 08:38:19 »

(aaaaand since I'm buying an electronic keyboard this fall when I get back, you too may be subjected to a jingle version of this song.....)  you HAVE BEEN WARNED.....)

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 August 2011, 16:12:33 »

awesome! YAY!

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 14 August 2011, 15:16:02 »

In order to put it up an introduction is still needed, Dek!

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 August 2011, 16:43:49 »

Sorry Artimidor ... how is that?

Also, my notes from that first post here, so as not to cause confusion with the entry:)

Hi,

Referring to the linked post by me, and the two posts that follow it, both Valan and Altario feel that Gilden was the best option of those I came up with. I was doing some thinking, and based on an old advertising jingle from the 80's for Brisbane/Queensland, I came up with the idea for the following:

Not sure if it is good, bad, awful, or unusable, but it amused me somewhat ... oh and here is the link to the original version ... remember it is from the 80's ... and probably explains that dress and hairstyle she has :)

Dek

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 14 August 2011, 16:50:37 »

Oops sorry ... I left out a word (resonance) and mispelled the name 'Cyroan' in my original version of this entry. I apologise

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 14 August 2011, 16:58:13 »

I fear that the concept of "tourism", at least the word, is a 20th century creation (first used in 1941 as far as I can see), thus we should avoid to refer to it in a medieval society. To go away on a recreational holiday would be something for noblemen, but not for most people. Also the term "marketing" is pretty 20th century.

So I'd recommend to rephrase this a bit in that direction and make it more directed at rich noblemen as well.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 August 2011, 18:28:35 »

Thank you for those comments, Artimidor, and you know, I was thinking the same thing.

However, I am in the process of preparing for my work week, and at this moment, this will have to wait. My mind is too fixated on Accounting and other such things to be creative for the time being, unless inspiration strikes me like a bolt of lightning and something suitably medieval springs to my mind tonight, which is unlikely, as I'm trying to reconcile bank accounts which haven't been reconciled for 2+months. :(

Approximately how much time do I currently have to play with, if some kind of inspiration should happen to come to mind? I honestly don't mind if this waits for a future update ... I'd rather get it right then have to go back to it and fix it up later on.

Dek
« Last Edit: 14 August 2011, 18:33:17 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 14 August 2011, 19:09:59 »

No need to hurry - do the things that have priority for you first, Dek. I can also upload the update without this entry and if you make your final version in the next days, I can still put it into the update, so that it doesn't have to wait several more weeks. If it takes longer, well, then we still have the next update :)

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 August 2011, 17:35:37 »

There we go ... is that any better?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 30 August 2011, 03:40:45 »

Yep, this fits pretty well now I'd say :) And of course with the (funny) references to the tunes you mention and the nicely embedded description, it makes these Gilden people seem like a likeable bunch! So I'm marking this for integration, and aura +1!

Oh, small detail perhaps: A "sans" is the smallest currency unit in Santharia, but they probably don't play that much a role in the lives of noblemen. I'd recommend to use "Goldbards" instead, which is probably more common among such people, who, well, enjoy their glittering gold more than the dirty copper coin which is the san ;)

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 August 2011, 04:47:12 »

oh good point ... maybe it is a way for me to get in something like 'more goldbards than sans' ... as a play on more dollars than cents/sense.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[17 September 2019, 22:01:36]

[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1087
Latest: aimeusdietger
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 78
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 93
Total: 93

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!