Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Author Topic: City of Ximax  (Read 23952 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: 27 October 2011, 16:50:19 »

wishful wishings wonderous wordsmith Rayne :)  heart

(eeek energetic elves aren't alone at all in illnesses illogical and alliterative ailments)

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #106 on: 27 October 2011, 22:19:26 »

New map, without which my Market cannot proceed, but which may also be helpful in fusing both existing maps AND integrating the mentioned places. 

This is draft one of what I'm calling "XIMAX AREA MAP"  with the main surrounding areas.  Note the essential added roads, the position of the river matching as closely as possible what the text has described, the grove, quarry, and essential forest resources for the woodworkers (who I thought might well go on the border of Feldstone and Ettinsburgh, handy to their raw materials).  The river has elided its original name of Wavewand over the years into Weavand ("Wee-vaughn-d").  The little black line out from Underside to the river is the Main Sewer Exit.  A couple of new streams have been added in out of necessity:  Wizard'stream is clean water which joins the river past Tanner's Guild - it is the unpolluted water source for the city from its spring origin near the academy through to Arvins Grove.   Susil Crick, to the north, also joins the Weavand and helps irrigate the northern farmlands.  Pastures have been added as described in the entry.  So have the Western Orchards.

The next draft map will be 'XIMAX CITY MAP" and will show only the dodecahedron of the city itself, with all the main areas, streets, temples, locations, etc. indicated.   Your comments and shufflings will be appreciated to solidify the actual map of the city.  Once I have the main spokes of the city named, it'll make it much easier to write Market Square (trust me on this, ok?)

So far it is coming together surprisingly beautifully.

Some suggested streetnames for your areas wouldn't hurt.  So far I only have 'Xazure Lane' and 'Shard St.', both right in Hallowhall framing the Wasted Wizard.  Help me out here, people!   I expect Ettinsburgh to have a plethora of Thergerim-inspired names, such as 'Hunol House' (a dwarven library) and "Trum Alley', while Tymeside doubtless has its share of Gnomic titles reflecting the concentration of fine artificers.  Underside will indubitably boast such evocative nomenclature as 'Grimsgate', 'Luddenlurk', 'Crips Corner', and 'Brokebutt Alley'....

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #107 on: 27 October 2011, 22:22:10 »

Here's the draft map - solely for developers at this point.  Feel free to comment, critique, move, rename, add, delete, etc. as needed!

http://a6.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/303986_10150340286463587_517153586_8360969_537658523_n.jpg

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: 28 October 2011, 10:52:56 »

To be used however you please; I will gladly accept all substitutions!

Aferburgh
Lionstone Lane
Winestone Way
Mithral Road

Tymeside
Ticktock Alley
Beadersmith Road (named after a late resident)
Windings Way

Maejsend
Runers Roads
Wizards' Way
Arn's Ally (unknown origin)

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #109 on: 28 October 2011, 11:41:13 »

Oooh, thank'ee!   I shall definitely incorporate those.

I'm especially looking for the main 'webline' roads that demarcate the junctures between districts and run through districts.  Since the city was planned and rebuilt, it can have some formality and order to some of the namings. 

I'm also looking for suggestions for those main roads on the area map.  Following current convention, the main roads between cities are named with their to-and-fro  ('The Mithral-Marcogg Trail', for example).... so where exactly would those two roads on either side of the Weavand go?   I think 'Nor'river Road' and 'Sou'river Road' would do for starters, but they should also have their 'formal' names as 'Ximax-XXX Way'.     Also the main bridges.   

Aaaaaand... the more I look at 'Wizard'stream' the less I like it.   Ideas for a change?  Even 'Springwater' or 'Mages Rill' would be better.   

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #110 on: 28 October 2011, 18:35:09 »

And here we go with the first street map...except there are as yet no actual, er, street names on it.  Anyhow, this is, as closely as I can decipher from the text, where important places are located in Ximax.   I have deliberately put crucial things closer to major streets rather than in the centre of a district, reasoning that they would be more sought-after locations.  Of course, that may not suit the original author, in which case I'd love to see your comments, rationalizations, and suggested alterations / additions!

Again, this is not intended for site in this form, merely for developers at this time.

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/319205_10150341213958587_517153586_8365575_1131649427_n.jpg

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: 28 October 2011, 22:54:03 »

Hmm, these dev maps seem pretty useful.  I didn't even think much about what's near the city before the area map was posted.  Maybe I'll make one for Dukesbury. 

Area Map
Does it make sense to have a granite quarry right outside the city?  I assumed they'd be closer to the mountains (tens of kilometers away), but I really don't know much about these things. 

How wide is the river, and which side of it are the tanners at? 

Wizards' Stream is a great idea.  I'm not sure if it could provide enough water for the whole city though; it looks kind of small.  Also, it's current route has it start well inside the old city, which seems a little odd.  Perhaps it could start somewhere around the "pasturelands" label in the west and meet up with the main river somewhere north of the city?  (Hmm, together with the main river, it'd almost form a sort of natural moat for the city.)  As for the name, I can't think of any myself, but "Springwater" sounds rather nice to me. 

I'm also looking for suggestions for those main roads on the area map.  Following current convention, the main roads between cities are named with their to-and-fro  ('The Mithral-Marcogg Trail', for example).... so where exactly would those two roads on either side of the Weavand go?   I think 'Nor'river Road' and 'Sou'river Road' would do for starters, but they should also have their 'formal' names as 'Ximax-XXX Way'.     Also the main bridges. 
Well, based on the province map I'm working on, if they follow the river, the northen one might lead all the way to Diamond Lake.  I plan to have a town there, but I haven't settled on a name yet.  I mostly think of it as "Lakeside" or "Lake Town".  Maybe there could also be a town where the two rivers meet; I'm not very sure. 

The southern road I'm guessing might go all the way to the mouth of the river, and from there to the mainland.  I plan to have a small port town near the river mouth, but unfortunately it doesn't have a name yet either.  I'm thinking it could be where the Hoa Rusun Zirghurim's fishing fleet is housed, so it probably has a significant Dwarven presence, so maybe it could have an anglicised (tharianised?) Dwarven name? 

The western road could perhaps lead to Rizkul Hund? 

City Map
I actually intended the Bankers' guild to be further south, around the intersection of the "spoke" and the street leading to Governance Square.  Not so sure about the Librarians' guild, but it's probably close by. 

As for street names, the only specific one I can think of is "Circle Street".  Maybe it could be used for the hexagonal street separating the inner and outer cities, or maybe the one around the edge of the city, which is somewhat more circular.  Also, maybe some could be named after important historical people?  Ximan, Xarl, and Ungur are the obvious ones.  A few other mages have been mentioned here and there, but I'm not sure if they were important to the city as a whole, or only to the Academy.  Maybe we could also include some kings.  And if there aren't enough existing people, we could always make up a bunch of names and let future developers figure out who they were and why they were important. 

Underside will indubitably boast such evocative nomenclature as 'Grimsgate', 'Luddenlurk', 'Crips Corner', and 'Brokebutt Alley'....
Those do fit with the theme of the borough, but I doubt that they would be the official names.  The planners probably did not intend for Underside to end up the way it did. 

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #112 on: 29 October 2011, 21:52:27 »

Just for fun....started on the greyscale version.   Stimulates the imagination...

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: 29 October 2011, 22:10:51 »

Awesome, Judith. :)  I'd like to put a bid in on that little plot of land south of the northernmost bridge.  Build a little cabin there.  Plant some carroots and mithatos and live a nice quiet life.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: 29 October 2011, 22:13:16 »

Within a stone's throw of all those mages?
What sort of northman are you?

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #115 on: 29 October 2011, 23:35:44 »

Hmm... The graphic elements of the houses of course were primarily thought to be used in the size they are shown on the Manthrian map. That way they aren't really fully depicting the whole town, but just representing it in a symbolic way. Now of course when you put them all together to form a whole town you'd need to zoom in much better to make it work. The town is a bit of a mess right now ;)

But I see you added some funny stuff there, like bridges, a gate and an extra building for example. So while it's not perfect yet, it's a cool start :) As I've said a while ago: I'd be happy to help with getting a final map done, but the whole details need to be clear beforehand, so that the information only needs to be converted into a proper map.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #116 on: 04 November 2011, 03:08:11 »

Ok.... Update weekend is approaching! I'm not sure if updating the site makes that much sense given the low all around activity these days, but at any rate I plan to at least begin with it and see how far I can get - using the time mayhap for overviews, vocabulary updates, that sort of thing.

Anyway, Ximax would be on my list to integrate. There weren't any further checks since I asked a month ago, so I'd say that we can take what's there and put it up. More Myth/Lore can still be added later, also maps are something for much latter anyway when we have a final version. So if there are no objections, I'll go ahead with this.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #117 on: 06 November 2011, 00:38:48 »

Question: The schematic map by Judy shown in the first post is still valid, right? At least most of it, maybe with some smaller alterations. Because we should try to get that one on the site as a start. Simply to show approximately where all the boroughs, the main roads, the river are. There might be more detailed maps added later showing other things, but this is the main one we should get up asap I'd say. The map is great already the way it is with all the colours, fonts etc., so no problems in that regard.

Two things are necessary to get it on site, though:

a) Make sure that the map is up to date.
b) Get it on a background which makes it presentable on site, like a parchment or something.

Can this be done in the near future, Judy?

On another note:

There's some trouble with history, because there are events in the history table currently on the site, which are simply gone from the revision without a trace. It is entirely unclear whether these should be deleted altogether or kept as they are. Examples would be:

620 b.S. - The Claiming of the Ximaxian Staffs
615 b.S. - The Volkek-Oshra elder Narmatuk warns Xarl
550 b.S. -   Division of the City of Ximax
etc.

It needs to be clear what should happen with these events.
« Last Edit: 06 November 2011, 00:41:32 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #118 on: 06 November 2011, 09:28:29 »

I need to incorporate Mina's comments about the city map, also respond and incorporate the area comments, rename the stream, etc.  Putting it on parchment is no problem after everyone has had a look and ok'd it.   

Ximaxians:  please look at the coloured city map (about four posts up from this).  If you want to change something you must take the graphic, mark your desired revision on it, and repost or email it to me.  I cannot work from vague descriptions of locations, since we don't HAVE street names yet!  Feel free to put the street names you've suggested on your copy of the graphic and I can start incorporating them asap :)   

I think if we refer to 'spoke streets' and 'ring roads'  then we can have a consistent nomenclature.  For example:  'Outering Road' (just inside the city wall),  which can also be "Ximax Ring Road" ,  "Midring Road" and 'Innerring Road' gives us the three main circles, or rings.    Then start naming the spokes depending on where they run through and beside districts. 

For example, Rayne's suggestion of 'Mithral (Street)' could become the northwest spoke between Feldstone and Ettinsburg (running all the way through to Market Square, of course.)

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #119 on: 06 November 2011, 21:54:04 »

Hi Judy,

I imagined the cemetery outside of the citywalls, between citywalls and river. I need to rephrase it slightly in my paragraph. It would be cool, if the cemetery would stretch as far as the river, then the river could be integrated somehow in any still to come burial ceremonies.

@Rayne: Would you please change this in the first post? :)

From my paragraph:

With the exception of the old Shrine of Queprur in the borough of Middleton, where the town‘s famous persons are resting in elaborate sarcophagi in a vast crypt under the shrine, all citizens of Ximax are buried or cremated at the large graveyard called “Cold Ground” in the southeast of the townwhich is situated in the southeast,  outside of the town, near the outer borders of the borough of Underside. A broad road leads from the temple of Queprur in Underside to the main entrance gate of the cemetery, stretching further on till the far end, where the crematory is located, dividing the burial ground this way in two halves.  
« Last Edit: 06 November 2011, 22:01:28 by Ta'lia of the Seven Jewels » Logged

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 86
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 82
Total: 82

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!