Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Author Topic: City of Ximax  (Read 23978 times)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: 06 November 2011, 22:32:17 »

Finally made that sketch of Dukesbury.  It's for dev use only, at least for now.  It's pretty much all placeholders at the moment.  The ducal residences aren't labelled, because I haven't decided where they should be located yet.  

Arti: Some were omitted because they weren't really relevant to Ximax (eg. "Ambush at the Xythrian Ridge"), others were either removed or rewritten.  How much time do we have to label them?  

Speaking of history, I'm not really sure about the terms "Royalist" and "Helcrah", which we took from the information you posted.  I posted about it  here.  Could they be changed, like I suggested there?  

Alright, I've gone through the old entry and labelled what should be done with the history entries that were removed during the revision. 

2026 b.S.   Last Deaths by the Orb of Ximax
2017 b.S.   Ximan Xuran discovers the Orb
Remove entirely, information incorporated into "Shielding of the Orb of Ximax"

2015 b.S. to 2009 b.S.   Construction of the Eleven Wards of Ximax
Remove entirely; rewritten as "Construction of the Twelve Towers"

2000 b.S.   Start of the Volkek-Oshra Festival of Hunting
Remove from Ximax entry; event is specific to the Volkek-oshra

1650 b.S.   Ximax survives the Dragonstorm
Remove entirely; rewritten as "Ximax Provides Aid After the Dragonstorm"

789 b.S.   Ambush at the Xythrian Ridge
Remove from Ximax entry; event does not involve Ximax

620 b.S.   The Claiming of the Ximaxian Staffs
Remove from Ximax entry; it's an Academy event (and needs revising anyway)

615 b.S.   The Volkek-Oshra elder Narmatuk warns Xarl
550 b.S.   Division of the City of Ximax
Remove entirely; rather trivial things

ca. 549 b.S. to 501 b.S.   Ximaxian Neutrality
Remove entirely; information incorporated into other sections

225 b.S.   Ximax feels the Lengthening of the Shadow
Remove entirely; redundant due to the information already being present in "The Lengthening of the Shadow"

172 to 547   The Golden Age of Kings
Remove entirely; rewritten as "Expansion of Learning"

1.660   First Publication of the "Santharian Compendium"
We seem to have forgotten this one.  Keep it, I guess. 

The other missing ones all seem to involve Dek's Boyzina Fellowship Hall stuff.  I'm not sure what should be done with them.  The version Rayne put in the entry seems to be missing quite a bit from the history she and Dek discussed on the first page of this thread.  I don't know if she made a mistake or if they were left out intentionally for some reason. 
« Last Edit: 07 November 2011, 02:20:20 by Mina » Logged

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: 07 November 2011, 02:53:25 »

History--

Thank you for going through the history, Mina, and explaining our thinking.

As for the Boyzina Hall events, I took the ones I felt were most relevant to the city in its entirety, rather than just the Boyzina Hall. However, we can add more events if needed.

Map--

I love the idea of "spoke streets" and "ring roads"! That's wonderfully clever. Could it be possible, though, that a road might change names as it passes from one district into another? Do we want to name all the streets of the city or just the main streets?

I believe the main infirmary/Nehtor's Temple in Middleton may be closer to Homestead ("After some Middletonians expressed worry for their 'poor brothers and sisters' in Homestead, a temple to Nehtor was established outside of the gated and walled part of their borough. This temple houses a small infirmary that will gladly treat any Ximaxian, regardless of station.")

I think the Jeweler's Guild may be missing from Aferburgh.

That's all I see for now. Thank you, Judith, for putting the maps together. They look fantastic!

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #122 on: 07 November 2011, 15:46:46 »

Concerning the history dates: Well, it should have somewhat priority to sort the remaining events out in the next weeks, in order to have that part finished. Because if an event is still important, but just not for Ximax, it should still remain in our database and not be deleted. Then again things like the Ximaxian Staffs for have a relevance for Ximax...

The schematic map is the other thing that should be sorted out as soon as possible, because with the basic map it all really becomes much clearer where to find what in Ximax. So this is quite an essential map to have in the new entry.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #123 on: 07 November 2011, 21:37:18 »

I agree.  Street names and schema is what I'm wanting to collect and collate right now.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #124 on: 08 November 2011, 04:04:07 »

I now checked your notes concerning the history events, Mina, and eliminated the ones you pointed out - and those that were actually renamed I already treated that way when I prepared it all yesterday. So (in case you refresh the Ximax page on site) the history should be entirely fixed now according to the specifications.

As for the Ximax staffs: Well, they are gone at the moment and you say that this is all Academy stuff, but certain important Academy events of course may also apply to the city as such and therefore should be mentioned in the city entry, I'd say. Once these events are properly defined of course :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: 08 November 2011, 13:24:02 »

I admit--the exclusion of the Ximax Staffs incident was due to slothfulness on my part, being unwilling to hazard the necessary edits that must be made to the Ximax Staff entry, and of course being distressed about what to do regarding Seeker's beautiful illustrations of so many staffs that, unfortunately, are an ill fit to Ximaxian--and Santharian--cosmology and magic.

I'm not sure what should change first--the entry or the history. Undoubtedly, the number of Ximax staffs will drop from 11 down to six. The solution to how best to emend the issue may require some large brainstorming session, for surely many minds are better than one (particularly when the one is my own!).

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: 11 November 2011, 13:05:46 »

Well don't worry too much about the pictures.  If the "real" staffs need to look different, go ahead and make the changes, we can find something to do with the ones I drew. For example they could be artist "renditions" of the staffs as seen in some famous children book which obviously exaggerates what the staffs really look like in order to demonstrate the elements that are the basis for their power.  Or something like that.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: 13 November 2011, 03:19:40 »

You are a blessing to these boards, Seeker.  heart Thank you.

Now that I look at the staffs, I think we may be all right. If we make the Staff of Light that of Xeua and the Staff of Darkness that of Ecua, the six staffs should line up.

Xarl made eleven staffs (I still feel strange about this term; I would like to change it to staves, if possible, since "staffs" conjures to my mind the personnel employed in various departments):
Earth
Flame
Sky
Sea
Mental
Magic
Ximax
Darkness
Light
Summoning
Life

If we could change "Sky" to "Wind", "Sea" to "Water", "Light" to "Xeua", and "Darkness" to "Ecua," then eliminate Life (Browniin Magic), Summoning (Part of Xeua), Mental (All elements have a mental/spiritual side), Magic (Uh...  huh), Ximax (Why, Xarl, why?!  buck)... ::clears throat and composes herself:: ... I think we would be in good shape.

I know that Eldor was interested in this project, so I might leave this to him...

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: 13 November 2011, 04:48:35 »

Well, I'm not sure it's really necessary for them to be named after their elements.  I quite like the current names, actually.  Well, except Light and Darkness, which don't seem to have any relation to Xeua and Ecua at all. 

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: 13 November 2011, 05:57:32 »

Well, I don't mind "Flame" for the Fire Staff, but I fear "Sky" and "Sea" may be confusing. I feel as though Ximaxian Magic is so confusing as it is--I don't want people associating Sky with wind and drawing the conclusion, e.g., that creating clouds, rain, and lightning falls in the realm of wind, or drawing the conclusion that rain may not be in the realm of Water. There are so many incorrect assumptions that may be drawn from these particularly appellations. That is my only concern...

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 77
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 86
Total: 86

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!