Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Next Collaborative Project - Suggestions  (Read 7613 times)
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« on: 14 September 2011, 08:25:52 »

As the City of Ximax project nears completion, I am interested in possibly beginning another collaborative entry. In this goal, I'm interested in brainstorming potential projects. I encourage everyone to offer ideas and suggestions. Once we have gathered a number, I will throw up a poll for voting--or, if it seems there is a someone unanimous decision among us, I will begin preparing for the next project.

My ideas are as follows:
  • Academy at Bardavos (this would include the various schools [Tunes, Dreams, Quill, and Colors] as alluded to in the Bardavos entry
  • City of Bardavos (if Artimidor does not mind us building on his entry)
  • City of Voldar (if Artimidor does not mind us building on his entry)
  • New-Santhala (which I may discourage, as this may be an impossibly large project requiring a number of moving parts that I have not yet even conceived of how to coordinate)

Please let me know your ideas, suggestions, concerns, etc., as well as anything I may have overlooked, and I hope there will be many hands to help build the next project!  heart

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Pikel
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 14 September 2011, 10:19:54 »

While my opinion might not carry much weight, since my presence here is on/off a lot, I might say that discouraging an entry just because it's so large seems....strange to me. Considering we're here in an attempt to create an entire world, multiple moving parts seem right up our alley. Though: To make the new Santhala entry somewhat easier, you might try splitting said entry up into numerous smaller entries (one entry for each district perhaps?). Also the Ximaxian project was described as near impossible just a few short years ago, so perhaps once the compendiumists come together to actually start this project, perhaps it will seem a lot less imposing.

Just a thought ;)

EDIT: I feel pretty silly. Your organization of the Ximax project seems to be exactly what I suggested for New-Santhala. Maybe I should....read more....
« Last Edit: 14 September 2011, 10:33:29 by Pikel » Logged

Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 September 2011, 11:27:27 »

Haha. Pikel, you are right--discouraging a project because it is large is a bit silly. I think your idea of breaking it down into districts is a good one--though, because of the size, there may need to be simple descriptions for each district, followed by an entry specifically on that district to further break it down. New-Santhala, therefore, may end up being a cluster of entries instead of just one.

I suppose one of my fears with New-Santhala is that so much fore-planning is required long before anything gets put to paper. The entire layout of the city need be planned out so that we can identify how best to partition and organize the city. Because of the size of the project, we would probably require a map made up well ahead of time. The amount of fore-planning make me nervous that the project may experience the same issues as Ximax Academy had early on, where there were pages and pages and pages of discussion, but no real progress toward an entry. Also of note is that a New-Santhala entry was begun many years ago, so this would need to be included. And I would like to have Artimidor involved in this, if possible.

I don't mind beginning planning on New-Santhala, though, if there is interest, and it may be rewarding to work on and complete such a massive project. Do you think New-Santhala should be our next project, Pikel?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Pikel
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 8

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 14 September 2011, 13:33:33 »

Since my schedule is a little busy right now, and i'm not sure how much I could actually add to the project beyond a (hopefully) insightful comment here and there, I really don't think it's my place to choose of what the next team project should consist. I'll see if I can free up some time though and try to contribute a bit more to santharia, and a collaboration like this might be a good place to do so

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 14 September 2011, 16:22:21 »

Santhala is certainly a very intimidating project, but it would also be very nice to finally have an entry on it.  I don't think the difficulty will necessarily be with size though.  Being the capital of a giant kingdom will certainly boost its size, but not necessarily beyond that of other big cities unless other factors were involved (which might indeed be the case).  The main difficulty would probably come from its importance, requiring plenty of research and coordinating with what I imagine would be quite a lot of interested people. 

Another possibility is Caelum, one of the major cities of Xaramon and capital of the former Kyranian kingdom, assuming no one has claimed it (I know Dek is interested in the Kyranians, but not whether he has any plans for Caelum itself).  I have mixed feelings about picking it though.  It'd be more familiar to me, being part of Xaramon, but it'd probably also give me even more stress over how little I've done on Xaramon so far.   buck

Alternatively, the Caltharian tribe doesn't seem very developed, and I don't think it's had an active developer for a long time.  But I just noticed it has a pretty lengthy draft by Bard Judith here, so maybe not.  
« Last Edit: 14 September 2011, 16:52:50 by Mina » Logged

Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 15 September 2011, 00:15:29 »

Why not build on a historical entry such as F'v'cl'r?

To be honest, the current suggestions do not hold much interest for me. We (almost) finished a city entry with Ximax, so another city entry would seem like a rehash. But F'v'cl'r would enable us to fill in alot of historical details of the races and cosmology that is only hinted at now. It would generate alot of new ideas and directions we've never been in. Also, it doesn't have to necessarily be fact, just a collaboration of theories. It would also generate more ideas and entries to fill in North history.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 15 September 2011, 00:30:30 »

@Mina
I believe New-Santhala may be quite a bit larger than other cities, if the number of houses on the map is any indication. Ximax is marked on the map by 2 houses. New Santhala in marked by 6, so we can probably estimate that it is three times the size of Ximax, and that its population is closer to 150,000. The capital is also generally overflowing with culture, art, philosophy, science, and research. As it is also the place of governance for the whole of Santharia, as well as residence of the king and his advisors, I would expect a number of government buildings, a host of royal houses, as well as an extensive military. Because of all these factors, I expect this to be a much larger project that Ximax or the Academy--perhaps more of a meta-project, a cluster of entries instead of just one.

I do not mind at all setting up this project, but I want to make sure that there is enough interest in pursing it, and enough people are willing to participate. I could see this easily becoming a multi-year project, and while I expect I will be around (I can never leave Santharia for long), I certainly need the help of others.

I have added Caelum to the growing list. I would discourage against the Caltharian tribe entry, not only because Judith has begun it, but because tribe entries tend to require a more singular vision. However, if you're interested, please let me know and I will certainly add it to the list!

@Azhira
F'v'cl'r would be a very interesting entry to do. With its history and myth, and with the stories that surround it (and haunt it), it would be a very interesting project. My one concern is actually just that--it is so seeped in lore, history, philosophy, and legend that it requires relatively well-read and knowledgeable Santharian developers. I generally prefer these projects to have wider appeal, so that no matter where you are in your Santharian education--whether you are an experienced developer who's been here for ten years or a new developer who just discovered Santharia--you have the opportunity to contribute.

I will add it to the list, but I do have some reservations.

• Academy at Bardavos
  • City of Bardavos
  • City of Voldar
  • New-Santhala
  • Caelum
  • F'v'cl'r

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 15 September 2011, 01:53:33 »

Hmm, I was going to suggest an ecosystem project, since bestiary and herbarium entries are where new developers typically start out, so it should be easier to get them involved.  But then I realised that Jonael already has something like that here.  It seems to be rather dormant lately though, and there are no doubt plenty of regions that hasn't been taken yet.  Maybe we could find one such region and work on it.

Or, sticking with single-entry projects, how about doing a province?  Manthria is pretty developed, but it doesn't have an entry yet, does it?   
« Last Edit: 15 September 2011, 02:09:00 by Mina » Logged

Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 15 September 2011, 03:31:50 »

My worry concerning ecosystems and provinces is that, at their heart, they are more synthesizing projects rather than creation projects--they involve collecting things that have already been created and synthesizing and summarizing them. They're also entries that would involve almost constant edits as things continue to be developed.

I would prefer to do more of a creation project, though if you think that these sorts of synthesizing projects would be good candidates, I can certainly add them to the list. Just give me the word.

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 September 2011, 03:40:21 »

I don't know, I'm just throwing out suggestions as I think of them.   buck

I'll leave it to you guys to decide whether they're suitable candidates. 

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 15 September 2011, 04:14:24 »

Well, any kind of team project is welcome from my side - though it requires regular presence from various members who'd like to be part of it. There obviously was/were major break(s) with the Ximax entry, though it looks like the project is finally drawing towards an end, and that's great. So priority should be to conclude this one and get it on site.

As for another project: First of all I don't mind at all if someone wants to take a very basic entry I did who knows when and makes something proper out of it ;) So no objections there.

As for a realistic project: Probably Fá'áv'cál'âr sounds the most promising from all the ones that were suggested so far, because it might attract the most people and could lead to a multitude of related, more or less independently developed entries, which form a major package. It would include History, tribal development, some cosmological/religious stuff, creatures and plants of the darker nature, the updated Places entry of course (maybe even a minor entry of a surrounding area) and even People entries in the context. So unlike the Ximax entry I think it would be a more diverse thing to develop and whoever wants to help contributing will learn a good deal about the whole region. So this sounds very interesting to me.

Some other ideas also have something, like the Bardavos entry (could also be used to help write more important Santharian history - we're reaching the time of the culturally important rulers in the Golden Age of Kings), or an entry on Manthria, which is very often referenced and could help us to finally get provincial overviews on our way on important cities and other locations, things like that.

For New-Santhala the time is too early I'd say: We need to do a lot of history still to get there (destruction of Santhala etc.), so anything that's more manageable would be better. Not that Fá'áv'cál'âr would be an easy project, but it's still more accessible for those interested I assume. There's some preliminary work done for the elven empire already, e.g. we have an entry already, but it needs more work, that's for sure.
« Last Edit: 15 September 2011, 04:59:12 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 15 September 2011, 04:34:23 »

Haha--well, I would eventually like to get your vote, Mina! Your thorough research skills and attention to detail, along with your sizable knowledge on Santharia and medieval life, have proved invaluable in past projects. I would like to have your assistance on the next project, if you are able!

I was hoping you might come give your opinion, Artimidor!

I do apologize that the Ximax entry has taken so much time; I will, of course, readily admit that its delay was purely on my head. For some years its been difficult to hit the right pace with my participation here, but I think I may have found it.

My fears of F'v'cl'r remain, but I do admit that it does inspire a lot of appeal. For my part, I have always been inspired by the haunting and frightening sorrow of the place. I read Dala's story about the Bone Queen when I first joined, and it stays with me still, after all these years. However, it's important to note that F'v'cl'r is one entry. While it may sharpen our focus for the creation and revision of other entries, it would itself remain singular. I hope that others would be motivated, as Dek was by Ximax with his Boyzinna Hall, to create related entries, but I'm not sure if this would happen or not.

I will keep Bardavos and F'v'cl'r on the list, though, and add Marcogg.

• Academy at Bardavos
  • City of Bardavos
  • City of Voldar
  • New-Santhala
  • Caelum
  • F'v'cl'r
  • Marcogg

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 15 September 2011, 04:50:35 »

Doesn't Marcogg already have a fairly up-to-date entry?  It seems quite detailed, though the population is oddly small.  

Haha--well, I would eventually like to get your vote, Mina! Your thorough research skills and attention to detail, along with your sizable knowledge on Santharia and medieval life, have proved invaluable in past projects. I would like to have your assistance on the next project, if you are able!
Thanks.  :) I'll try to help as much as I can, but most of these are areas that are rather unfamiliar to me, so I'm not sure how useful I will be. 
« Last Edit: 15 September 2011, 04:54:32 by Mina » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 15 September 2011, 04:58:36 »

Ooops... Meant Manthria of course, the province entry.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 15 September 2011, 05:11:49 »

I'll add it, but for reasons previously mention, would discourage an entry of this type, since it involves summary and synthesizing more than creation. For those who are new to Santharia and don't know where to go or where to start, entries like these can be daunting and intimidating. I would prefer these projects be something Santharian developers of all experience levels can contribute to...

• Academy at Bardavos
  • City of Bardavos
  • City of Voldar
  • New-Santhala
  • Caelum
  • F'v'cl'r
  • Manthria

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[21 September 2019, 20:08:43]

[17 September 2019, 22:01:36]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1088
Latest: brayd3n26
Stats
Total Posts: 144685
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 89
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 104
Total: 104

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!