Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Next Collaborative Project - Suggestions  (Read 7717 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 15 September 2011, 06:27:18 »

after Ximax I'm going to take a break from group projects and try to catch up on the backlog of my own work. I believe I did post somewhere recently that I was going to focus more on finishing off my existing entries rather than starting new entries.

Besides, none of those really capture my interest, especially not F'v'cl'r.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 15 September 2011, 12:00:21 »

My own suggestion would be the Academy of Bardavos as a sort of run-up to the city itself, much like the Academy of Ximax preceded the City of Ximax. If you tried to write Bardavos without having the Academy slotted in fully, there might be a big blank space you've got to go back and fill.

I likewise have no interest in Fa'av'cal'ar

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 15 September 2011, 22:23:32 »

You both single out F'v'cl'r as uninteresting. Any particular reason?

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 September 2011, 05:46:55 »

I personally wouldn't enjoy doing it, Azhira ... no other reason than that. What would be the point of me getting involved in developing something if I didn't have any personal interest in developing it? I think it would be worse for me to say 'yeah, I'll do that' and hate every second of working on it, as it would no doubt see me starting it and not finishing it, and thus letting down the team. Better, I think for me to state it up front so there aren't any expectations from others. I also point out the following in my post, Azhira:

after Ximax I'm going to take a break from group projects and try to catch up on the backlog of my own work.

and

Besides, none of those really capture my interest

I guess I used F'v'cl'r as an example, of a lack of interest in being involved in developing any of those places. Besides, it has too many apostrophes and accents in the name. :D

I actually don't think that either Valan or myself stated it wouldn't be an interesting entry ... but rather that we weren't interested in being involved in developing it.

Ah yes ... and from Artimidor ...

@Dek: To make it short: It's always better in my point of view to finish something you started before you move on to new things. So always try to favour that before you seriously start pursuing new ideas.
« Last Edit: 16 September 2011, 05:50:08 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 16 September 2011, 23:03:49 »

Hi all...
good to see a new project started! I cant be part of it though, need to finish/start other entries first (Moon)

I ask you though, to take Bardavos from the list, because I've got a lot of stuff already and even if I would skip most, I would need time for the project nevertheless, because it sits deep in my realm and has therefore a lot of connections. The academy - I don't know. I have no big ideas yet, only that it should not be in one place like Ximax, but many buildings distributed all over Bardavos. So it might not be a good idea either. Maybe that could be the project after the next one? :)

There are surely many other interesting places to describe, what about Ishmarin? Has two houses also. However, a lot of research has to be done to build up something up there.

Another idea might be, to write up the wardens (three?) in the Rimmerings Ring, to think about their history and bind them together somehow.

What about Northern Sarvonia, Worldquest, Daroth? (Not Barsalon please ;) ), Silven is not possible, if Dek wants to do own things.

An idea would be also, to take the islands of Ram and tie them to Santharia, develop all from special (?) fauna and flora to the two cites. That might be a longer project though. In the end, the single entries might be written by one person, as a part of a city now, but they need a cooperation and a lot of pre-thoughts what to put there first also.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #20 on: 16 September 2011, 23:28:55 »

Well, the project doesn't necessarily need to be a Place entry, or?

It could also be a historical project where we take the rough timeline we've put together here and try to make proper events out of all that (as I did so far until 200 a.S.). This has the advantage that people involved will get to know Santharian history much better because they have to read up on the current timeline and then see how they could help here and there with adding further important events. Various people could suggest a multitude of events, some could focus on a certain character in history (e.g. a king/queen) or an order/group of people that has a major importance etc.

We'd fill valuable gaps that way, and there aren't whole entries required, and whoever chips in helps to really build Santharian history and learns it in the same process. :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 17 September 2011, 05:51:51 »

If I may comment in sort of a meta way, there seem to be a number of issues arising with my attempts to begin another project at this time:

• A couple people--Dek and Talia--have mentioned that they will not be able to participate in the next project. They have traditionally been two of my most active and prolific collaborators. That they will be unable to participate naturally makes me question whether there is enough interest to begin a project at this time.
  • There doesn't seem to be enough interest in any one project, and many of the most eligible options, or those with the widest appeal, have been taken off the table.

I suppose my question to the team is--if we set a date for a few months from now as a 'start date', would that give everyone enough time to finish up their current projects and prepare for a group project, which could be decided at few weeks before? And until then collect project ideas? Or does anyone have any other ideas?

Until I'm certain we have enough people to move things forward, perhaps I might work with you, Artimidor, on history?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Valan Nonesuch
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 113

Like a pudding bag full of knives

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 17 September 2011, 07:20:50 »

Not to rain on any parades but I think the scope of the Isles of Ram idea is too broad for a project like this. We saw the problems with an entry the size of Ximax, to expand the scale beyond that as far as what needs to be developed is begging for something to go wrong or parts to get dropped by people.

Art's suggestion of a history entry is quite good though.

Beyond the horizon where the earth and the heavens meet
lies a certain point where they are not joined together and where, by stooping,
one might pass under the roof of the heavens.
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 17 September 2011, 08:02:36 »

I am always willing and available for illustrations when the time comes for that.  In the meantime I will let all you writers figure out what your going to do.  grin

Nice to be an artist sometimes.  thumbup

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 17 September 2011, 10:40:03 »

Based on the rate at which I complete my own works of interest, I'd say 'a few months' wouldn't be enough time for me. :D

I'm not interested in starting/being involved in a group project at the moment. Just because I'm not interested in being involved in one, doesn't mean one can't go ahead. However what Rayne says is true ... if there isn't enough interest/people to sign up for the group project, putting it off might be a good idea.

Even if I was interested, I don't have the time for doing so. Me taking time on getting my own things finished is fine with me, but having others relying on me to complete things for a group project (particularly when work is demanding more and more time from me) and me being unable to meet deadlines, puts me under pressure, pressure which I can do without for the foreseeable future.

Rayne, when you refer to 'a few months' around when are you looking at for a start date? November/December/January? March/April? June/July? November is NaNoWriMo for me. December/January are our summer holidays here ... and I'll be gone for at least some of it. June/July - end of financial year and my trip to Fiji for my cousin's wedding falls during this time ... ie not a good time for me.

Not being interested/able to be involved in such a group project doesn't mean I don't support the concept of more group projects, it simply means I can't be involved in it.

I hope that makes sense :D

Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 17 September 2011, 12:06:58 »

When I said "a few months," I was thinking early 2012, but I'm fairly flexible.

I feel like the perception of group projects isn't at all what I had intended to foster. Individual entries can be pages and pages long and involve copious amounts of research. My intention with group projects was to alleviate a lot of that workload while allowing people to still develop.

These projects were meant to cater to the collaborators. Your participation might just be offering a comment, or participating in some aspect of the discussion, or writing a couple paragraphs about a borough. And unlike regular entries, where you were committed to writing the entire thing, you could just write a piece if you wished, or more if you desired. In short, the value of group projects, besides the obvious melding of minds, was their flexibility for the developers involved, the option to choose the type and amount of participation based on your interest and time.

The good part about these group projects is that, if need be, they may continue into the long-term. I could very well start a group project now that, similar to the Ximax project, progresses rather slowly. However, despite the time and my (regretted) inactivity, the entry is still progressing. If this is indicative of group projects in a general sense, perhaps there isn't as much harm in starting one now, even if participation is low. I would, however, like to begin a project that people won't mind--nay, would eagerly--coming back to.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Azhira Styralias
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 132

Mddley

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 20 September 2011, 01:03:35 »

I am ready to collaborate on any subject as long as it has scary, creepy stuff in it. That is the best fuel for my wildly dark imagination.

No, I would not want to live in a world without dragons, as I would not want to live in a world without magic, for that is a world without mystery, and that is a world without faith. And that, I fear, for any reasoning, conscious being, would be the cruelest trick of all.
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 20 September 2011, 02:04:13 »

Haha--I am always glad to have you, Azhira. I should hope that, regardless of the project, you would be able to add a little creepiness. After all, no entry is complete without a little bit of dark mystery, right?  ;)

Perhaps I should ask the group as a whole: Who would be able/willing to participate in a group project?

Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 20 September 2011, 05:17:10 »

*Sigh* I am willing, but not able. Alas! I will be extremely busy until December at least, and need to pick my Santharian projects carefully, lest I take on too much, which would lead to frustration for myself and others.

I may permit myself to say, though, that I admire the way you all have collaborated to write the Ximax entry. It's a fabulous piece of world building.

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Rayne (Alr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 20 September 2011, 12:32:15 »

I think your melody, Shabakuk, is the same as many others', the collection of which forms a sad harmony for the possibility of a group project right now (though I'm glad to see so many working so hard for the Dream!). However, perhaps they may eventually conclude, or at least fade a little, and we can begin to compose an entry all together.

I will do what I can to assist others with their projects, time permitting (unfortunately I have something of a restrictive schedule). If I can help free others' time and minimize the entries-in-waiting, perhaps we can soon move upon these projects again.  heart

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 180
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 165
Total: 165

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)