Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Author Topic: Vardınn Master Plan Discussion  (Read 33545 times)
Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: 20 December 2011, 13:30:38 »

Would the quantity of coins being minted in any way affect inflation? Or can we assume that because there's probably more or less growth in all areas, that value remains relatively constant?

I can see there being officials from the Ministry of Finance going around and checking to make sure standards are met, specifically in terms of content/density. Perhaps they go around with precise weights/counterbalances to ensure the coins are of precisely the right weight.

I also like the idea of giving only some cities the right to create certain types of coins. I assume something like this:

Jernais san, su, erg
Salsair: san, su, erg, od, hack
Cemphiria: san, su, erg, od, hack
Voldar: san, su, erg, od, hack, w'aer, nune
Milkengrad: san, su, erg, od, hack, w'aer, nune
Westhron: san, su
Accam: san
Thyslan: san, su, erg, od

Also, in terms of law enforcement, I assume a standing army, or at least an order of knights, would be enough to convince dukes/gravens to follow the rules. I know we have several orders of knights, but I assume that the province and even, perhaps, some Dukes and Nobel Houses might have knights. I'm really not sure how all that works...

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: 20 December 2011, 15:42:08 »

I think I mentioned something in ... I believe it was the entry on my Tedius Kyranian Kyrattin Researcher something about a tax collector or something warning others about staying at said tedius researcher's farm because of how boring it was, or something along those lines. That was just something completely off the top of my head I came up with.

Not sure if that helps in any way ... but there you have it.

Additionally, I think for the sake of making it easy for us, and not making our heads spin too much, saying that inflation remains fairly constant might be a good thing to say. I do work with finances in real life ... or at least I am trained to work with finances in real life, and all of that stuff makes my head spin in real life. :D

Dek
« Last Edit: 20 December 2011, 15:56:29 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: 20 December 2011, 23:23:27 »

Well, I don't know for sure, but I think that unlike modern currencies, inflation probably has more to do with quantity of metal available than quantity of coins minted.  After all, they are basically precisely measured and shaped pieces of a particular type of metal.  But yes, we probably shouldn't be worrying too much about inflation, at least for now. 

Many of the types of coins on the Santharian Currency page are apparently relatively uncommon.  Based on the little information there, I would suggest that Sans, Copperbards, Silverbards, and Goldbards are the only ones produced regularly, with the others being either obsolete or seldom produced.  Then again, maybe the reason they are uncommon is that few places produce them, and Vardynn just happens to be one of those places.   undecided

A standing army feels kind of iffy to me.  It's borderline plausible, I guess.  Anyway, enforcement is more about having troops loyal to the Thane than having a standing army.  Religious military orders would be one source, assuming that they support the Thane.  Loyal Dukes, Gravens, and other vassals are another.  If the Thane has any land he rules directly, rather than through a vassal, he could also impose a levy, although the amount of troops obtained that way might not be much unless he rules a lot of land directly.  There's also mercenaries, which were apparently very common in medieval times.  Since the Thane's territory includes Voldar, which is probably one of the richer cities, he probably has more money to spend on mercenaries than most other lords in the province. 

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #153 on: 22 December 2011, 05:02:39 »

Just a gentle reminder: All I really need for a map is where towns, fields, mountains, rivers, castles, temples are etc. If we go into lots and lots of details concerning religion, resources, coin minting etc. I will have to put off working on the map indefinitely. We should make clear priorities. I will mainly work on map elements anyway during my Christmas vacations, so that I can update the tutorial with it and build a much larger collection than I have at the moment. But in foreseeable time details of various map parts should be available so that I can continue with that - map making takes its time anyway, so it's important that sections are clear when I have time to get to them.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: 22 December 2011, 07:10:07 »

Hey Artimidor--My apologies! I didn't realize there were still lingering issues regarding the maps. I know that the location of castles, rivers, and towns have already been worked out (on previous maps). Is there any more we need to decide regarding temples?

I remember you mentioning that you would use your best judgment to fill in what hadn't been specified--and I trust your judgment!--but if there are places you aren't sure of, or more I can do, please let me know.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #155 on: 24 December 2011, 02:19:21 »

Not sure to which maps exactly you're referring to, Rayne - but the maps I'm looking for is how Judy did it with her Fores duchy. There might now be a rivers map, and temples or castle locations might be mentioned somewhere in the posts, but as far as I know we don't have anything like Judy did for other duchies. We don't need that information for all duchies at once, but duchy by duchy we should try to work on details. and get a rough map done, which then can be realized properly based on the sketch.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: 24 December 2011, 08:39:09 »

I don't have the knowledge or resources to create a map like Judith did. I can do red dots, like I did with cities and forts on the maps I've already posted, but I don't have the knowledge to create something with the same icons and whatnot that Judith has made. Is something of this caliber required to create the maps? To be honest, I'm really not that particular--especially with regards to the location of mines and castles/forts. It would all be conjecture on my part to which I have no real opinion.

I can create a map with red dots, but with the craze of the season, it may not be for another few weeks. I know you were going to work on this map during the Christmas break, though. I apologize, Artimidor. I thought all of this was already discussed and done. I didn't realize there was more I needed to provide to you..  undecided

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #157 on: 24 December 2011, 09:47:16 »

I just did mine that way for fun and practice.   Art will doubtless have to redo it all anyhow!    I am now on vacation though and am going to be learning aobut better mapmaking!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #158 on: 24 December 2011, 16:08:37 »

Red dots of course suffice perfectly well, Rayne. All I really need is something that indicates objects (towns, villages, mountains, temples etc.), and where it is clear what the symbol you use represents. If you already have a name for specific places, feel free to add that in.

P.S. Building a larger library of map elements and textures goes first before I get to further parts of the map. This is my main goal to achieve in my vacations - to make lots more elements I can then use efficiently later. In the meantime the rough design of certain duchies could be done as far as that is possible, and then I can use that layout and make the real thing out of it!
« Last Edit: 24 December 2011, 19:07:53 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: 15 January 2012, 06:27:52 »

I've just scanned through this looking at random bits (mainly Arti's map - wooo  thumbup) and I'm overwhelmed at the awesomeness. I simply can't give enough aura's out ;-)

Fascinating project and I look forward to finding the time to read this thread in detail.

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #160 on: 15 January 2012, 17:25:06 »

Hello again, Smee! wave

I see you plan to finally get that promised map done in 2012, that's great to hear! As I remember you already got a firm grip on map making back in the days when you made the Scattersand Shoals map! The by now updated map tutorial chapters should be very helpful in the endeavour to get your map done... Which one did you plan to do BTW? - At any rate there will be some more additions forthcoming to the tutorial and especially the map elements and textures will be updated constantly :)

Here are some previews of what will be contained in the next map elements file BTW:

Some new buildings:

Some mountains:

And a bunch of new trees as well:

Smee
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 20

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: 15 January 2012, 18:33:43 »

Xaramon is what I've started, but I'll be watching this thread and if the motivation to do a province overwhelms me I'll let you know  buck

"The path of my life is strewn with cowpats from the Devil's own satanic herd!"
Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: 17 January 2012, 14:26:09 »

Eep! I've been terribly remiss with this. Can you send me the map I should be using to mark the locations of things? You do not need the rivers/lakes or swamps, right? Since I already sent the layer for those? It's just everything else--the cities, fortresses, etc.?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #163 on: 19 January 2012, 04:04:32 »

Well, you posted a map yourself at page no. 8, Rayne, named "vardynn_monster_PhysicalMap.jpg". So it's already resting somewhere on your hard drive. This is actually the monstersized map where you can cut out a part and mark what you'd like to include in the final map. The rivers layer doesn't need to be on it, but it doesn't hurt either. Feel free to mark whatever you like on it - these things will have priority to be integrated.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #164 on: 06 July 2012, 03:35:56 »

As there isn't that much action going on at the boards, I'll put my energy into continuing the Vardınn map a bit. I have at least a sketch by Judy showing the region with the dwarven settlements, so I'll see to make some progress there in the next days :)

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 86
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 85
Total: 85

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!