Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Vardınn Master Plan Discussion  (Read 34906 times)
Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 28 November 2011, 11:52:09 »

I've updated the list with the information you provided, Mina! I would like to be as specific as possible with these; I have "Foodstuff" on the list right now, but if we could further break that down, all the better. I've removed the resource listing for the Churican cities until I can work out specifics.

I would like to somehow indicate raw vs. artisan goods. There are some goods, though, that are hard to place, like horses--I assume they might be considered an Artisan Good if they are trained and a raw good if they are not... I'm not sure how we want to do that.

I have placed Xazuran and Burningstones as +3. Even though they are rare resources, they are valuable and may not be something the city necessarily needs. Though we don't have exact quantities matched to these values, I'd like to be able to say that Jernais could theoretically trade 1 of their cloth for 1 of Bosinwais's Xazuran. While the quantity of xazuran is less, the value is more or less equivalent.

I'm also a bit confused by rhodamines. Like you, I looked them up--actually hoping to figure out how they were produced. No luck. It might be worth requesting some sort of change to the entry...

Plentiful: +3
Significant: +2
Moderate: +1
Limited: 0
Scant: -1
Insufficient: -2
Deficient: -3

1) Vairntin
  • [...]
2) Phaeverton
  • [...]
3) Caeyserton
  • [...]
4) Aemyrton
  • [...]
5) Erdefra
  • [...]
6) Isgar
  • [...]
7) Pelasgarth
  • [...]
8) Tyrcuron
  • [...]
9) Argammon
  • [...]
10) Deraheim
  • Salt (+2)
  • [...]
11) Herstengrad
  • [...]
12) Arlemaroth
  • [...]

13) Ahaiwana
  • Burningstones ()
  • [...]
14) Heleroth
  • [...]
15) Sostra
  • Copper ()
  • Gold ()
  • Granite ()
  • Marble ()
  • Silver ()
  • [...]
16) Menegula
  • Copper ()
  • Gold ()
  • Granite ()
  • Marble ()
  • Silver ()
  • [...]
17) Codomma
  • [...]
18) Vesolda
  • [...]
19) Bosinwais
  • Xazuran (+3)
  • Burningstones (+3)
20) Aberwald
  • [...]
21) Emja
  • [...]
22) Aemyressa
  • [...]
23) Cardos
  • [...]
24) Liosa
  • [...]

A) Thyslan
  • [...]
B) Milkengrad
  • Cotton (0)
  • Silkworm (0)
  • Artisan Good: Cloth (0)
  • Foodstuffs (-1)
  • Fish (-1)
  • Metals (-2)
  • Lumber (-1)
  • Artisan Good: Pottery (+1)
  • Artisan Good: Armor (+1)
  • Artisan Good: Ships (+1)
  • Dyes (+1)
C)Accam
  • [...]
D) Westhron
  • [...]
E) Voldar
  • [...]
F) Cemphiria
  • [...]
G) Salsair
  • Horses (+3)
H) Jernais
  • Salt (+1)
  • Lumber (-1)
  • Artisan Good: Wood Products (+1)
  • Silk (0)
  • Cotton/Wool (-2)
  • Artisan Good: Cloth (+3)
  • Dyes (-1)

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: 29 November 2011, 00:30:12 »

I'm also a bit confused by rhodamines. Like you, I looked them up--actually hoping to figure out how they were produced. No luck. It might be worth requesting some sort of change to the entry...
It probably could use an update.  It's a pretty good entry, but it's getting a little old.  I guess we could just state that Milkengrad has dyes without really specifying what sort of dye. 

Hmm, let me try another way of looking at the resources. 

Heath of Jernais:
There is salt throughout the Heath of Jernais, which is probably traded through Jernais, Cardos (23), and Liosa (24).  Earlier in the thread, you also suggested crops for those cities, but they seem to have been removed.  Was there any particular reason for that?  You also mentioned animal husbandry in the masterplan.  The part near the Heckra volcano has xazuran, which goes to Bosinwais. 

Heckra:
Heckra has a number of resources, which go to Bosinwais (19), the Goltherlon, and possibly some of the northern Helcrani towns, most likely Ahaiwana (13) and Heleroth (14). 

The Goltherlon and Golgnomes entries mention coal, iron, and small quantities of copper, crystals, and mithril from the volcano.  The Gnomes are also mentioned as trading dyes to the Caltharians.  Maybe they have xazuran too?  Or maybe it's some other unspecified dye. 

There are also iron, silver, and gold, which are mentioned to be the main resources of Helcrah, along with copper.  Maybe Bosinwais gets some too? 

As mentioned earlier, there's also burning stones.  Should the Golgnomes have any? 

High Fores:
The middle part of the High Fores, around Sostra (15), Menegula (16), and Codomma (17) seems to have silver, according to the resources map.  Livestock and wood are also mentioned.  The southern part is shown on the map as having granite, coal, gold, silver, copper, and marble.  I'm guessing most of these are probably controlled by the Dwarves? 

Aerelian Lakes:
The lake's resources probably go to Salsair, Herstengrad (11), and Arlemaroth (12).  Well, there's fish in the lakes.  I'm guessing, due to all the water, the area immediately around the lakes is probably good for agriculture too.  Lake Salestra has shellfish, which probably mostly go to Salsair. 

Aurora Fields:
From the entry:
The most southern field is called Asloriath, and consists mainly of small groves, though both farmers and nomads occupy the area.
I guess there's some lumber, crops, and livestock, including horses.  Resources probably go to Herstengrad and Salsair. 

The northern field is called Ageron, and is almost completely made up of small farms where a good percentage of Santharia’s food is shipped from to other provinces and towns. There are a few nomadic Centoraurians that roam about the plains, but for the most part, it is mainly filled with farmland stretching for as far as the eye can see.
Sounds like mostly crops with some livestock, which probably go to Thyslan, Milkengrad, Pelasgarth (7), and Cemphiria. 

The eastern field is called Lawapedion, and is the main settlement of the Centoraurians, though perhaps “settlement” wouldn’t be precise. It is home to the nomadic tribe who have made most of the field into a large pasture for their horses. This is not to say that no farmers or growers live here, for there are a few to help feed the population.
Seems to be mostly horses, with a bit of crops.  Resources probably go to Salsair, Arlemaroth (12), and Cemphiria. 

Thaelon:
It has silkel trees, and going by the Jernais entry, nearby Humans are apparently allowed to harvest some.  The cities close enough are Voldar, Jernais, Cardos (23), and Liosa (24).  Some villages that supply Cemphiria, Emja (21), and Aemyressa (22) might also be close enough. 

That's probably enough for one day.  Let me put them into the list you made.  I've highlighted the parts I changed, or just the city names if most or all of its resources were new or had been changed.  Nonhuman areas were also added. 

1) Vairntin
  • [...]
2) Phaeverton
  • [...]
3) Caeyserton
  • [...]
4) Aemyrton
  • [...]
5) Erdefra
  • [...]
6) Isgar
  • [...]
7) Pelasgarth
  • Crops
  • Livestock
  • [...]
8) Tyrcuron
  • [...]
9) Argammon
  • [...]
10) Deraheim
  • Salt (+2)
  • [...]
11) Herstengrad
  • Fish
  • Crops
  • Lumber
  • Livestock
  • Horses
  • [...]
12) Arlemaroth
  • Fish
  • Crops
  • Horses
  • [...]

13) Ahaiwana
  • Burning Stones
  • Iron
  • Silver
  • Gold
  • [...]
14) Heleroth
  • Iron
  • Silver
  • Gold
  • Burning Stones?
  • [...]
15) Sostra
  • Livestock
  • Lumber
  • Silver
  • [...]
16) Menegula
  • Livestock
  • Lumber
  • Silver
  • [...]
17) Codomma
  • Livestock
  • Lumber
  • Silver
  • [...]
18) Vesolda
  • [...]
19) Bosinwais
  • Xazuran (+3)
  • Burningstones (+3)
  • Iron?
  • Silver?
  • Gold?
20) Aberwald
  • [...]
21) Emja
  • Silkel Trees?
  • [...]
22) Aemyressa
  • Silkel Trees?
  • [...]
23) Cardos
  • Salt
  • Crops?
  • Silkel Trees
  • [...]
24) Liosa
  • Salt
  • Crops?
  • Silkel Trees
  • [...]

A) Thyslan
  • Crops
  • Livestock
  • [...]
B) Milkengrad
  • Crops
  • Livestock
  • Cotton (0)
  • Silkworm (0)
  • Foodstuffs (-1)
  • Fish (-1)
  • Metals (-2)
  • Lumber (-1)
  • Artisan Good: Pottery (+1)
  • Artisan Good: Armor (+1)
  • Artisan Good: Ships (+1)
  • Dyes (+1)
C)Accam
  • [...]
D) Westhron
  • [...]
E) Voldar
  • Silkel Trees
  • [...]
F) Cemphiria
  • Crops
  • Livestock
  • Horses
  • Silkel Trees?
  • [...]
G) Salsair
  • Fish
  • Crops
  • Shellfish
  • Lumber
  • Livestock
  • Horses (+3)
H) Jernais
  • Salt (+1)
  • Lumber (-1)
  • Artisan Good: Wood Products (+1)
  • Silk (0)
  • Cotton/Wool (-2)
  • Artisan Good: Cloth (+3)
  • Dyes (-1)
  • Crops?

Goltherlon
  • Iron
  • Coal
  • Dyes
  • Burning Stones?

Southern High Fores (Thrumgolz Dwarves?)
  • Granite
  • Coal
  • Gold
  • Silver
  • Copper
  • Marble

Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 29 November 2011, 12:19:47 »

Mina, that's fantastic! Thank you for integrating them into the list! It does make my job easier.

I wonder if it would be useful to breakdown crops based upon what might actually be bought and sold. I feel there are some crops that are more likely to be traded than others. Wheat, corn, and grains are probably traded fairly frequently (after all, they travel relatively well) while things like lyth'bels and other fruits might not. Jams and Jellies, though, would. I'm uncertain how to categorize all this, though.

We could leave it as Crops without specifying, though then comes the implications of the number system. Does Crop (+2) = Wheat (+1) + Corn (+1), or does it equal Wheat (+2) + Corn (+2). And if the former (which seems more sound given that we're using the numbers as a representation of value per quantity such that the value of "1" Xazuran is equivalent to "1" Cloth), should we allow for Crop (+4)? Personally, I would prefer as much specificity as we can!

If we had to make a list of all transportable Foodstuff, what would it look like?

Wheat
Corn
Jam/Jelly
Beer/Alcohol
Cheese
Fish (dried)
Beef (dried)
Pork (dried)
Veal (dried)
Lamb meat (dried)  (is there another word for this...?)
Honey
Tea leaves
Herbs (various - there are too many to break this down, and it probably isn't as important)
[...]

Are there any others you can think of?

... Hm... this is beginning to remind me of a different list constructed by a certain Bard. We may not need the same level of detail I remember being in her list, but perhaps we can borrow from it? I wonder if she's around to pop in and give us her two sans...

EDIT

I was cogitating on a logistical issue that reared while I was looking over my over-simplified system for enumerating the resource quantities. With a limit of 3, this system makes it hard to account for wild fluctuations in quantities. I cannot claim, in good conscience, that “1” wheat in Aurora (1 of 3, no doubt) could be equivalent to “1” cheese or jam coming out of tiny Churican. No doubt the value of that 1 wheat would vastly exceed “1” cheese.

Disconsolate, I retreated for my nightly shower--that activity so conducive to mental fecundity--and realized that perhaps what we needed was indeed some form of currency. I feared using Santharian currency, because of multitudinous coinages, and thought we might best consider something that might be traded for all of these goods.

I recalled that somewhere--I want to say Russia or some like country where it is frightfully cold--the economy crashed (not unlike my original resource system). Economists trying to jump start the economy there, as a measure of a progress, did not measure the value of all goods. Only one: the egg.

So I propose using the currency of a dozen eggs (a dozegg, for short!). A 16oz/ 2tot jar of jam might be worth 2 dozeggs (2 dozen eggs). If we say that Churican produces 1500 cases of jam a year at 24 jars per case, that would be 36,000 jars, equaling 72,000 dozeggs.

I would image a bag of milled flour, let us say one equalling 3 od, might be worth 2.5 dozeggs, give or take. One acre of land can produce 40 bushels of wheat. One bushel can produce about 90 ods of flour, so one acre of land produces about 3600 ods of flour. Now one acre is equivalent to 4,046.85642 peds (meters) squared. Divide this by 6000 and you get leagues--so one acre is equal to .67447607 square leagues which produced 3600 ods of flour. However, according to Santharia Weight and Measure, farmers have on average 1 square league of land (a perry), which would therefore produce 5,337.47624 ods of flour. If we assume 3,000 farmers, and therefore 3,000 perries of land, they would be producing ~16,012,428 ods of flour a year, worth approximately 40,031,070 dozeggs per year.

Perhaps we can also further ease of use by introducing Kildozegg (1000 dozen eggs -- KDE for short)

Therefore:
Aurora: Wheat (+40,031 KDE)
Churican: Jam (+72 KDE)

Of course, there is room for error, but this might generate a more accurate system...
« Last Edit: 29 November 2011, 13:45:13 by Rayne (Alır) » Logged

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: 29 November 2011, 23:13:47 »

I think that it is probably too early to go into that level of precision, which sounds like a pretty big project itself.  It's probably enough for a masterplan to know what each place has, and what they are short of, and possibly where the goods go.  

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: 30 November 2011, 10:15:00 »

*shoehorns his way into the conversation*

I wanna do a town/city when you get all the broad strokes done. :)

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 30 November 2011, 11:37:45 »

Oh dear! Was that a deep, black, impossible-never ending-project hole I was about to tumble into? Oh, Mina and Altario: my heros!  heart

You’re right--I'm getting way ahead of myself! Perhaps instead of complicating, we should simplify, doing away with the numbers entirely and instead opt for +, 0, and -. This will give us an idea of what each city has, what’s being shipped out, and what’s being shipped in.

I liked the look of your yellow titles. I have made them all orange so that they’re easier to see!

1) Vairntin
  • Fish (+)
  • Crops (0)
  • Livestock (0)
2) Phaeverton
  • Fish (+)
  • Jams/Jellies (+)
  • Cheese (+)
  • Livestock (0)
  • Wood Products (-)
  • Metal (-)
  • Wool (+)
  • Cloth (-)
3) Caeyserton
  • Fish (+)
  • Jams/Jellies (+)
  • Cheese (+)
  • Livestock (0)
  • Wood Products (-)
  • Metal (-)
  • Wool (+)
  • Cloth (-)
4) Aemyrton
  • Fish (+)
  • Jams/Jellies (+)
  • Cheese (+)
  • Wood Products (-)
  • Livestock (0)
  • Metal (-)
  • Wool (+)
  • Cloth (-)
5) Erdefra
  • [...]
6) Isgar
  • [...]
7) Pelasgarth
  • Crops (+)
  • Livestock (+)
  • [...]
8) Tyrcuron
  • [...]
9) Argammon
  • [...]
10) Deraheim
  • Salt (+)
  • [...]
11) Herstengrad
  • Fish (+)
  • Crops (+)
  • Lumber (+)
  • Livestock (+)
  • Horses (+)
  • [...]
12) Arlemaroth
  • Fish (+)
  • Crops (+)
  • Horses (+)
  • [...]

13) Ahaiwana
  • Burning Stones (+)
  • Iron (+)
  • Silver (+)
  • Gold (+)
  • [...]
14) Heleroth
  • Iron (+)
  • Silver (+)
  • Gold (+)
  • Burning Stones (+)
  • [...]
15) Sostra
  • Livestock (+)
  • Lumber (+)
  • Silver (+)
  • [...]
16) Menegula
  • Livestock (+)
  • Lumber (+)
  • Silver (+)
  • [...]
17) Codomma
  • Livestock (+)
  • Lumber (+)
  • Silver (+)
  • [...]
18) Vesolda
  • [...]
19) Bosinwais
  • Xazuran (+)
  • Burningstones (+)
  • Iron (+)
  • Silver (+)
  • Gold (+)
20) Aberwald
  • [...]
21) Emja
  • Silkel (0)
  • [...]
22) Aemyressa
  • Silkel (+)
  • [...]
23) Cardos
  • Salt (+)
  • Crops (+)
  • Silkel (+)
  • [...]
24) Liosa
  • Salt (+)
  • Crops (+)
  • Silkel (+)
  • Artisan Good: Cloth (+)

A) Thyslan
  • Crops (+)
  • Livestock (+)
  • [...]
B) Milkengrad
  • Crops (-)
  • Livestock(0)
  • Cotton (0)
  • Silkworm (0)
  • Foodstuffs (-)
  • Fish (-)
  • Metals (-)
  • Lumber (-)
  • Artisan Good: Pottery (+)
  • Artisan Good: Armor (+)
  • Artisan Good: Ships (+)
  • Dyes (+)
C) Accam
  • [...]
D) Westhron
  • [...]
E) Voldar
  • Silkel
  • [...]
F) Cemphiria
  • Crops
  • Livestock
  • Horses
  • Silkel
  • [...]
G) Salsair
  • Fish (+)
  • Crops (+)
  • Shellfish (0)
  • Lumber (0)
  • Livestock (+)
  • Horses (+)
H) Jernais
  • Salt (+)
  • Lumber (-)
  • Artisan Good: Wood Products (+)
  • Silkel (0)
  • Cotton/Wool (-)
  • Artisan Good: Cloth (+)
  • Dyes (-)
  • Crops (+)

Goltherlon
  • Iron (+)
  • Coal (+)
  • Dyes (+)
  • Burning Stones (+)

Southern High Fores (Thrumgolz Dwarves?)
  • Granite (+)
  • Coal (+)
  • Gold (+)
  • Silver (+)
  • Copper (+)
  • Marble (+)

Quick Edit: Mina, I updated the politics section in the Master Plan not long ago. Maybe you could take a look? I'm really uncertain about what to do regarding the Voldarian Council... do they still exist?
« Last Edit: 30 November 2011, 11:39:47 by Rayne (Alır) » Logged

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: 30 November 2011, 18:26:49 »

Yes, apparently the Council still exists.  From the Ranks and Titles entry:
Some of the Thanes are heads of long respected governmental institutions as well. For example in Vardınn the Thane presides over the ancient Voldarian Council and its Ten Houses dealing with affairs of the Voldar, the capital of Vardınn.

I'll look at the rest later.  

Edit:

It feels like there's a lot of cities with + for crops.  I didn't mean for every city I added crops to to have enough to export (although some might), just that they have them. 

I wonder if basic necessities might be getting listed too often in general.  Food, for example, is probably something most cities get enough of from their surrounding areas.  It should be enough to list those that have an excess of it, and those that don't have enough and have to import them from further away. 

The three cities of Churican all have excess wool but insufficient cloth, which sounds a little strange to me.  Why isn't the wool being made into cloth? 

Copper, crystals, and mithril were also mentioned as being found in the Goltherlon, but in very small quantities, so I'm not sure if they should be listed. 
Small amounts of mithril can be found around the volcano Hèckra, though not enough of this metal can be mined to produce armor and weapons.
Though there is copper within the crumbling rock, there is hardly enough for those living in the Goltherlon Forest to put it to use as the Thrumgolz have done within the mountains. Sometimes bits of crystals can be found, but once the precious stones are cut and treated, they are too small to catch a very high price.

As for politics, I'm not sure I can say much about it.  "Minister" probably sounds better than "secretary".  Milkennon is listed as a duchy instead of a free city, assuming you didn't mean to change it.  (By the way, is population should be Helcrani and Centoraurian, not Erpheronian).  Would Graeyerwınn still be called a duchy if it's not ruled by a duke?  Maybe "Duke of Graeyerwınn" is an additional title of the Thane. 
« Last Edit: 01 December 2011, 01:15:52 by Mina » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #97 on: 01 December 2011, 06:20:50 »

Here's an updated island of Churican and the island to the west, now hopefully with the settlements placed better according to the specifications, more cliffs to the north, some different textures (grassier hills, craggier coast up northwest) etc. - see here:

(click on image to enlarge)

We also have two first windmills in there now - how does that look?
« Last Edit: 01 December 2011, 06:22:24 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 01 December 2011, 13:42:21 »

Oh my! I'm exhausted. What a long day!

All right, let's see here...

RESOURCES
For Churican's cities, I suppose I had imagined wool leaving the island to be made into clothing elsewhere... but I think I'm imagining a more efficient transportation system than currently exists. I'll change this.

I would like to keep basic necessities like Crops in the list, just so that they're accounted for. We can put "0"s for them, but having them serves as a check that we have considered this as a resource and decided it is neither lacking nor abundant. It also separates it from those resources which a city might have none of, but also has no need of. For example, Xazuran would not be listed under any Churican city because it is not a resource the island has or needs. Does this make sense?

We should decide which crops may be changed from + to 0 and begin to fill in the list a little more. I will try to work on this tomorrow. I am spent!

POLITICS
Ministers does sound better. Secretary may be a bit too US-ish.

Do you think there may have been any changes to the Voldarian Council? We're talking about 10 houses that have supposedly existed for literally thousands of years. I have to imagine some changes might have taken place. Though perhaps this may be somewhat dependent upon history...

MAPS
Wonderful, Artimidor! Oh, Churican looks so quaint! I should like to live there--or at least have a summer home on one of those airy cliffs looking out over the ocean, or nestled in the hills next to one of those cool lakes!

I wonder if the windmills might be made smaller. Right now they look quite large that a self-proclaimed knight-errant might attack one proclaiming it to be a giant! (Does anyone know the reference?) Besides, I would like a great many of them in the Aurora plain, and if they are smaller, we may be able to include a good deal more!

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #99 on: 01 December 2011, 15:07:25 »

I should quixotically leap to identify your reference, dear elfling, save for my brainless state of illness....

(grins wearily at her)

Art always goes for minimalism against representationalism.    One windmill on the plain = 50 windmills.   

I think a basic 0 to mark existing resources that keep a community balanced (neither a reliable surplus to trade out nor a lack to trade for) is a great idea.

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #100 on: 01 December 2011, 15:40:18 »

I can try to make the windmills smaller. It's a bit tricky however, because the lines get blurred if I just reduce the size, so I need to redraw the outlines entirely. Then of course the details that are now visible might get easier lost. So it's always about compromise. I'll give it a try, then we'll see. But it makes sense to make them smaller - the larger it is the less you can show on the map.

Should the tower be moved perhaps more on the long cliff to the east? Because with all those cliffs around it makes it difficult for anyone to reach the isle at all if one tries to follow the light of the tower... At the eastern tip of the cliff it seems more likely.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 02 December 2011, 03:42:11 »

We should decide which crops may be changed from + to 0 and begin to fill in the list a little more.
Maybe the cities around the Heath of Jernais?  I think you mentioned something about it being moor-like, which seems to suggest that there isn't a lot of agriculture going on.  Perhaps Salsair as well, depending on how large a city it is. 

Do you think there may have been any changes to the Voldarian Council? We're talking about 10 houses that have supposedly existed for literally thousands of years. I have to imagine some changes might have taken place. Though perhaps this may be somewhat dependent upon history...
It's influence and powers is unlikely to have remained the same over such a long time, I think, after all the political changes that have taken place.  Some of the houses might have been replaced by others as well.  The wording on the entry seems to suggest that this was the case. 

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #102 on: 02 December 2011, 05:13:28 »

Ok, guys... Before I continue I post the monster size map of Vardınn, see link below (you need to click on it and enlarge it to actually see the whole size). Those interested in defining a part of the map should focus on a duchy/stycal etc., cuit that part out (don't adjust the size of your crop!) and try to place towns, villages, mountains, swamps, mines entrances, rivers, castles and whatever you can think of on it. All you need to do is to mark it clearly - you can use symbols, letters, whatever you like. I'll then grab that part next of whatever gets defined first and try to add it to the main map.

Here are the territories that match the numbers on this map (you'll find the numbers within the borders - sorry that they are different than on the previous map, they are just for rough reference anyway):

Territory 1 (Churican, et al): Gannilos
Territory 2 (Voldar, et al): Graeyerwınn
Territory 3 (Boldar): Bolder Stycal
Territory 4 (Thaelon): Thaelon Stycal
Territory 5 (Milkengrad, et al): Milkenra? Milkentra? Milkenry
Territory 6 (Thyslan, et al): Thysland
Territory 7 (Aurora Plains, et al): Aurora
Territory 8 (Jernais): Jernais
Territory 9 (Ancytharian, et al): Ancyros
Territory 10 (High Fores): Duchy of the Eastern Mountains(?)

(click on image to enlarge)

P.S. Some changes have been made in the section I've focused on (windmills smaller, an abbey on an island, piers here and there).

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #103 on: 02 December 2011, 11:24:23 »

Could I take the High Fores, seeing as they will need to integrate with the dwarven presence there?  I'll add mine shafts in the appropriate locations, for example...

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 02 December 2011, 12:48:53 »

Even when ill, my dearest Bard, you fill me with child-like glee and delight! Only you would be able to pick up such a reference! ::blows a kiss:: You are wonderful, wonderful and most wonderful!  heart heart

Artimidor--I believe that lighthouses, traditionally, were not used so much to attract boats to land as to warn them of it. This is how I imagined lighttowers functioning as well. If you know how to read the stars, you are never really in danger of not find the land. You're more in danger of the land finding you!

(Oi, my head just got filled with Soviet Russia jokes...)

Below is a map with Rivers, lakes, and swamps included, though I fear my renditions are lacking is verisimilitude.  undecided I'm really not certain of how to make them look more realistic.

I haven't thought so far as castles, though I would assume at least one castle per duchy.

Below is a smaller version of the map so that people can easily view and provide feedback. I have attached the larger one, as well. I also have a psd version (too large to attach) that I can send if need be, though I'm not sure it will be particularly helpful.

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[21 September 2019, 20:08:43]

[17 September 2019, 22:01:36]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: r3g1na15
Stats
Total Posts: 144685
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 97
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 113
Total: 113

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!