Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Author Topic: Vardınn Master Plan Discussion  (Read 35259 times)
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 12 November 2011, 14:08:27 »

Maybe it could be referred to as a 'size challenged' duchy or a 'duchette' ... and they could produce bags that they call d(o)uchebags ... and it could be a point of contention between scholars as to whether it should be considered a duchy or not.

PS This post shouldn't be taken seriously by anyone. :)

Dek

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 12 November 2011, 16:55:59 »

@Rayne: Yes, the Ancyros thing makes sense, so it should definitely be reflected in the map. I've done so now in this version, expanding Ancyros and adjusted the Jernais borders. I also made the High Fores an own dwarven region, so that the Aurora duchy is more compact. What do you think?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 November 2011, 21:03:31 »

The Helcrani live there too, so it's not entirely Dwarven.  And, like Bard Judith said, the Dwarves probably aren't very involved with what goes on at the surface.  The surface population is probably mostly Caltharian and Helcrani.  It'd probably also look nicer if the border with the Aurora duchy is slightly further west, at the Aerelian Lakes.  It looks a little arbitrary right now. 

There's actually quite a lot of space between the Thaelon and Bolder forests.  Perhaps, instead of the two stycal bordering each other, some of that land could be given to Voldar, connecting it to Nermeran? 

Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 13 November 2011, 03:32:17 »

Deklitch, you are too funny!  heart

Thank you for producing another map, Artimidor! You are so patient to go through all these versions and variations with us.

I support Mina's assessments. Perhaps the duchy including the High Fores might also steal one of the Aerelian Lakes--the one furthest west (Melágria) and run against the border of the Aurora plains?

I believe the border between the duchy including the high fores and that of Ancyros can probably meet at the Aelchraem River flowing down from the High Fores into the Ancytharian Sea, though this is more of an observation more than a correction, since drawing straight lines in paint programs can be somewhat difficult!

I love the way the province's duchies are turning out! Soon we shall be in the naming stage~!

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 13 November 2011, 03:35:44 »

Just made the map as you typed, Rayne, so the border doesn't run across the river in this version, but the rest should be as discusssed:

I've now made the High Fores part of the Aurora duchy, which also comprises all Aerelian lakes, and the Voldar duchy is connected to Nermeran. Looks like this:

How does that look?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 13 November 2011, 03:56:14 »

Is it possible to see a version exactly like the map you have except that the Aurora duchy is split into two, with a border running from near the based of Heckra along the Aurora plains and between Melágria (the lake farthest to the west) and the other lakes comprising the Aerelian Lakes? To compare?

I do like the new borders of the Voldar duchy! Hopefully this will make for easy, positive relations with Nyermeran.

I believe we still need names for some of our islands... Does anyone have any ideas?

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 13 November 2011, 04:30:40 »

I think you meant the lake furthest to the east

Which of the islands currently have names, and which don't?  I'm a little confused. 

Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 13 November 2011, 05:29:01 »

Ah! You're right--east, not west. Thank you, Mina!

The unnamed islands were brought up from a previous post in the thread. In short, there are four islands whose names I have not been able to identify. They are the island housing Witch King's Cliff, the two islands just south of this island, and the island just west of the Crow Hills. Have you seen the names of these islands mentioned anywhere in the annals of Santharia, Mina?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 13 November 2011, 16:43:26 »

Here's the version you spoke of, Rayne - looks a bit weird, though, with just one lake being part of the eastern duchy...

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 13 November 2011, 18:20:56 »

This map by Curgan might be of some interest, especially when making the large version of the province map. 

They are the island housing Witch King's Cliff,
In your Churican entry, you called it Witchking Isle.  I guess that works.  If anyone comes up with a better name, maybe it could be kept as a nickname or something. 

the two islands just south of this island, and the island just west of the Crow Hills.
You mean north?  I don't recall seeing any names for them, but I'm not very familiar with that area anyway. 

Do we have names for the island that Westhron is located on, and the island between Accam and Milkengrad? 

Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 14 November 2011, 02:28:07 »

Artimidor-- Yes, I suppose you're right. Mina, what are your thoughts of the maps?

I'm getting my directions all confused lately! It must be this cold. I suppose Witchking Isle is all right for now. The Island between Milkengrad's Isle (Efirhal) and the Isle/Peninsula of Paragonj is Midlanir. I suppose I hadn't considered Westron to be on an isle, but you are right. I don't believe there is a name for that isle.

And just to make sure, we don't consider the land on which Cemphiria is on to be an island, correct?

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 14 November 2011, 03:25:37 »

Well, I guess it could technically count as a river island.  But it's big enough that it might not be perceived as being an island.  After all, Paragonj is even more island-like, and it gets called a peninsula. 

The latest map seem alright to me.  If the lake looks weird being in a different duchy, I guess it could be put back in the Aurora duchy.  It doesn't seem that strange to me though. 

Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 14 November 2011, 06:22:29 »

Well, I guess it could technically count as a river island.  But it's big enough that it might not be perceived as being an island.  After all, Paragonj is even more island-like, and it gets called a peninsula. 

And of course there is also the Peninsula of Kr'uul in Northern Sarvonia which is really an island ... I suggested in 8WB that it was a point of debate between scholars (with nothing better to do with their time, probably) as to whether it should be an island or a peninsula ... maybe the argument could extend to other islands around the place? Much the same way as astronomers spent time arguing about whether Pluto was a planet or a dwarf planet (size challenged planet please ... we really DON'T want to upset the God of the Roman underworld, do we?) :)

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #28 on: 15 November 2011, 04:16:24 »

Ok, next version... This time the names of the mentioned islands were added (inlcuding Esperoth, south-west of Efirhal), the border of Ancyros follows the river - and I make the suggestion to extend duchy number 10 by adding half of the Aelignós lake to it. Huge lakes that spread over several countries aren't uncommon (Bodensee, Neusiedler See, just to give two Austrian examples), so we could do it as well here. Duchy Number 10 would probably get two larger cities as well, which could be placed near the lakes, to give the duchy more human weight.

Anyway, would look like this:

P.S. Thanks for digging up this ancient Curgan map, Mina - while our map won't be that super detailed zomming into the town of Milkengrad itself, we definitely have other important stuff on the map which we can integrate in a province map!
« Last Edit: 15 November 2011, 04:21:55 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 15 November 2011, 13:02:12 »

Ah, I love it! No more corrections from my side! Thank you, Artimidor, for putting this together.

In terms of names, we have three islands now which require names, and of course seven duchies (one is already named). Perhaps we can begin brainstorming good names? Any of those names below may be borrowed/altered/rejected, but I thought I would start throwing names out there.

Aldrigold
Arderin
Bailwyn
Baildorf
Ballinset
Deridale
Emindshire (though I hate to use 'shire' for non-hobbit lands...)
Emerton
Faeberton
Gannilow
Greyerwais
Hunsferd
Hailston
Illensfort
Jaemsford
Kaeserton
Lorendir
Maderton
Narraset
Owindorf
Pallenstead
Rumerford
Sayerset
Soulston
Taidorel
Tellerwins
Winderston

Any call out to you in particular? I have my own inklings, but would like to hear what others think. Any other suggestions for names?

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 12
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1089
Latest: c4r0lyn18
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 109
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 92
Total: 92

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)