Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Internal Bleeding  (Read 988 times)
Kelancey the Green
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 26

View Profile Homepage
« on: 03 July 2012, 22:38:16 »

I would ask to add Internal Bleeding to the already-existing entry "Pain Remedies, Infection Cures and Blood Loss Management" by Seeker.
Please forgive my fumbling, I'm still learning the correct protocol for adding to an existing entry.

INTERNAL BLEEDING
Overview
Internal bleeding may present a dire threat to the health and life of the victim, resulting from an array of causes, be they traumatic or idiopathic.  Ranging from an incidental bruise on the cheek to exsanguination and collapse of the sanguine constituent, the site of the bleeding is the key to the threat of the injury.  In life-threatening cases, prompt medical attention is needed to extirpate the outflow of blood and help restore the natural flow of sanguine.

Symptoms and Effects
Any significant amount of blood loss will produce fatigue, difficulty breathing, and weakening of the heart throbs.  Bleeding into certain sites, as in the belly, chest, and limbs, is almost universally heralded by a swelling or lancing sort of pain.  In other sites, this bleeding may be completely painless, as in bleeding within the head or gut.  In these latter instances, vigilance and high degree of suspicion of internal injury are advised to be made aware of the blood loss.

Injuries to the belly can contain a leak of up to 1 barrel, that is 30 mugs, of blood, with only the pain of injury and the tumescence of the belly to show any sign of internal blood loss.  Bleeding within the muscles of the arms and legs may contain as much as 3 mugs of blood in each limb.  Because of the limited space within the skull, intracranial bleeding is surviveable up to approximately 1 tot, thereafter giving way to stupor and death.  In most cases, even minor intracranial bleeding causes profuse vomiting and lethargy, sometimes accompanied by thrashing spells.

Bleeding in the bowels may be silent or only mildly painful, perceived as either a gnawing or sharp lancing pain, and may persist undetected for up to months.  This type of bleeding may result in black, tarry stools, or, if the bleeding is lower down, bright red blood may issue forth into the toilet.  Some tumors can cause this type of bleeding, and early diagnosis is the key to treating these aggressive tumors.  The lungs and chest can hold a massive quantity of blood, up to 1 firkin in each lung.  However, such congestion can rapidly drown a person in their own blood, described by survivors as "air hunger", and thus this constitutes the most emergent case of internal bleeding.

Incidence, Causes
Fortunately, most of us shall never know the bitter agony of massive internal bleeding.  Still, soldiers, sentinels, and city watchmen put themselves at risk with every blow they sustain from a weapon.  Rarely will internal bleeding occur without any traumatic antecedent; further inquest into the causes of atraumatic internal bleeding are warranted.

Diagnosis
Though no method of detection is universally effective, a simple concensus of healers suggests that probing an inflamed and reddened area with a hollow, wide-aperture stylet is the most direct way to finding the source of the bleeding.  In the case of bleeding into the lungs, chest, and belly, this may also be the optimal treatment, siphoning off the excess of sanguine until the balance of constituents returns.

Cure/Prevention
As mentioned above, siphoning blood from a hollow cavity--chest, lungs, or belly--with a wide-aperture stylet is rapidly effective.  This usually requires multiple evacuations over a course of 3 to 10 days, performed at 6-hour intervals, or more frequently if the bleeding is severe.  Bleeding into the skull requires opening the skull with a trephine to allow the old blood to dehisce, and leaving the surgical wound open for no less than 3 days.  Careful application of wound cleansers, such as ormelin or the sap of the mil'no plant, will help stave off contagion in the days following surgical evacuation of the blood clot.

Bleeding into the muscles of the chest wall or limbs is a simple matter of opening the skin and muscle and allowing the foul blood to drain.  The muscle and skin may be surgically sown shut just after drainage of the blood.  This author routinely relies on studious application of leeches to bring down bleeding at any site.  This method is more effective if the hemorrhage is superficial, as in a bruise or gash in the skin.

History, Myth/Lore, et al.
The trephine is an off-shoot of a twist drill developed from the beak of the corbie (or carrion crow).  This invention is attributed to the Kuglimz, who call this bird Jav'vier.

The quills of the riccio, or pricklepig in common speech, may be plucked, rinsed, and used as hollow needles for  draining blood from internal bleeding, or for administering herbal preparations to someone who is too ill to drink.  A small purse, from the washed-out intestine of an animal, is tightly knotted onto the base of one of these quills.  A dose of the preparation to be administered is suctioned up into the purse.  Then, the tip of the quill is inserted into a vein in an arm or leg, and the purse is squeezed, ejecting the medicine into the body to course through the blood.

The Rosesnake has numerous uses in healing, not the least of which are its fangs--these make an easy stylet for opening superficial blood collections.  The tail thorns can pass as lancets for draining boils or other fluid collections under the skin.  Finally, the Rosesnake venom has healing properties, which this author has yet to study in any depth.

Fleshworms are a definite boon to any healer.  Where leeches are effective at gorging on any blood, living or dead, fleshworms only feast on dead skin, flesh, and so on.  They are selective to only devitalized flesh and constituents, making them tiny healers, ridding the body of necrotic or decaying parts.  As despicable as this initially seems, fleshworms can do a great service when a wound has not been tended early enough to prevent contagion from setting in.
« Last Edit: 14 July 2012, 21:49:51 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter."
--Master Yoda
Seeker

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 04 July 2012, 13:42:27 »

See bleeding wounds thread.  I suggest to close this thread to avoid any confusion.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 69
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 11
Total: 11

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)