Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: The Hobbit Movie- What did you think?  (Read 3794 times)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« on: 27 December 2012, 12:12:21 »

Alright I have seen the Hobbit twice in the past week.  I ma curious what you thought of the movie.

Here are some of my thoughts.

How in the world are they going to make 3 movies out of the hobbit?  Well I was quite pleased with what they did with the first movie.  I think it was quite entertaining.  Surely a few things were made up to fill the time and add extra drama but overall it was quite good.

The formats- I saw it once in High Frame Rate 3D and once in IMAX 3D.  The new HFR 3D is designed to make everything look more "real".  You may want to watch it just to experience it but, I warn you the HFR comes across like a home movie quality, almost like you are on the set with the actors.  I did not like it.  I thought the IMAX 3d was tons better.  Just be aware of the ticket you are purchasing. 

I absolutely loved the beginning scenes where they showed the Dwarves in their prime.  All the gold and jewels.  They did a good job showing the dwarven culture.

I always love the Elf scenes.  Rivendale was great as was seeing all our old friends from LOTR.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 December 2012, 17:06:02 »

I haven't seen it, and I don't think I will. I am still scarred (and scared) by Peter Jackson's efforts with Lord of the Rings to put myself through his adaption/s of any other books I enjoyed reading. :( I'm pleased you enjoyed it though, Seeker.  thumbup

I am much more looking forward to watching Les Miserables on my birthday. I'm watching it in Gold Class ... I just hope I can stop myself singing along. :D I am also looking forward to watching The Mousetrap live on stage. That's the play by Agatha Christie that's played the West End for so many years, and is currently touring Australia. I asked for a ticket to it for my birthday/Christmas this year, and got it. :D
« Last Edit: 27 December 2012, 17:14:21 by Deklitch Hardin » Logged

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 46

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 December 2012, 19:13:39 »

I loved it :) I saw the 3D 48 FPS version, and it was the first time I was really, REALLY impressed by the 3D - before this, I was always a bit Meh about the whole 3D hype, but this time I loved it, it was so clear and crisp and nice. No disrespect meant for your opinion, Seeker, but I really don't see the whole 'homevideo' comment that I hear so many people making.

Regarding the story: At least for this first part, they stayed quite close to the book, with some minor changes, and they added some backstory that is missing from the book (mostly because Tolkien didn't write it until after LotR). I can't wait until next year to see the next part. Martin Freeman is a wonderful Bilbo. The only thing is that only a couple of dwarves really stand out, and the rest only kind of tags along - which is a problem in the book as well, lets be honest :)

I liked how not all the dwarves looked and acted the same - i.e. axe-wielding and talking with a scottish accent, they really did their best to make them different from each other.

So yeah, basically... I really liked it :D

Dek: If your expectations are low to begin with, you're probably taking the right decision in not going to see it. As far as I saw, anyone I know who went in with low expectations came out thinking even worse of it. I went in without any expectations so I was free to be impressed ;)
« Last Edit: 27 December 2012, 19:15:43 by Irid alMenie » Logged

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Irid al'Menie
Deklitch Hardin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 103

Elf friend

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 December 2012, 21:34:01 »

Irid, my understanding has always been, and research that I've just done online confirms, that The Hobbit was written by Tolkien well before Lord of the Rings. I'm happy to be proven incorrect though.

I'm pleased you enjoyed the movie, Irid. :)

Well, of course Bilbo stands out. :) It is called The Hobbit, after all. :) I never fully understood why there were so many dwarves in that story, anyway. Even the fairy tales only ever had 7 dwarves.

What was Barry Humphries like in it? He was the lead goblin, apparently.

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere out in space, because there's none at all down here on Earth." - Monty Python's The Meaning of Life
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 December 2012, 01:46:17 »

Woops, slight misunderstanding :) I meant to say, while The Hobbit was written before LotR, the backstory that is added in the film was not. So the whole "what is Gandalf doing when not with the company" wasn't written until much later, but they added it to the movie anyway. That's what I wanted to say.

The Great Goblin was great :D I don't really know the actor (but then I knew hardly any of the actors), but he did a wonderful job.

Irid al'Menie
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 28 December 2012, 17:24:11 »

Well, I haven't seen the movie yet, but it probably will happen within the next week. So I cannot give a first hand comment on it.

But in general you don't find a big fan of Hollywood blockbuster CGI action here, I admit. Films like "Avatar" for example are exactly the kind of stuff I don't want to see, as they are all gimmicks and no substance. And this time with "The Hobbit" they had to turn what basically was a lighter good-night story for Tolkien's kids into an epic which will end in gigantic battles I'm sure. Somehow with all the CGI, 3D and 48 FPS stuff going on it looks to me as if the the goal is to make films as far removed from reality as possible. I've only seen the trailer so far and the dwarves just look like smaller men in them, and that was a big turn-off already. I long back to the pre-computerized days when "Willow" really used midgets to portray hobbit-like creatures, this made a tremendous difference to make a story real. Even Kubrick wanted to make LOTR, but thought it was unfilmable, because he still thought about how to make it real. Nowadays everything is different. It seems to me that they went another step into a direction I'm not comfortable with. But as I said, I haven't seen it yet, so feel free to disregard my ramblings.

The film took severe beatings worldwide however from the critics this time: See here, where you have the direct comparison between critics' and viewers' opinions. Compared to, say, LOTR: The Return of the King (here), the situation is entirely different now. At the Return of the King the critics were even more enthusiastic than the viewers, now interestingly viewers are still ok with it, but it earns little appreciation from the critics.
« Last Edit: 28 December 2012, 17:26:43 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 January 2013, 02:03:35 »

I'm afraid I can't join in the praise, even though the film surprised me by exceeding my expectations, which had not been very high.

I liked the first third of the film, when the script took its time to introduce the characters, with surprising subtlety for a Jackson film, where we could have fun watching the collision of world views and personalities (hobbit vs. dwarves vs. Gandalf), when the viewer got to enjoy an immersive experience of being in Middle Earth, and when the dialogue was sharp and rich. All the best lines were straight from Tolkien, of course. I thought he two songs were very well done, with beautiful music made for it. Martin Freeman did a great job playing Bilbo.

However, from about one hour in, I thought it slowly but surely descended into a generic action movie. A major plotline was added as an excuse to spend more time on battles (just as Arti suspects). By the final third, the scriptwriters appeared to have lost most of their vocabulary, except for about a dozen words like "Run", "Kill him", and similar monosyllables. For long periods, it seemed that Bilbo, supposedly the main character, was merely an onlooker with hardly any dialogue to his mouth other than feeble jokes. Still, throughout the film I found occasional highlights, such as the meeting of Bilbo and Gollum (although, for all the brilliance of the actor who plays Gollum and the CGI tricks that turn him into the naked little creature, I still prefer by far the Gollum that I imagine when I read Tolkien's books). Nonetheless I actually got bored in the third hour. One particular plot change, which involves Bilbo saving Thorin's life, destroys what I find one of the most pleasing aspects of the original story: that Bilbo on the whole gets by using cleverness, doggedness, and sheer luck, rather than the swashbuckling bravery that Hollywood action orthodoxy presents as the only sort of courage that matters.

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2013, 17:08:16 »

See an informative article on future film projects here. Personally I think it's the right decision.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Irid alMenie
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2013, 19:57:04 »

Nice article :) I agree that it's probably a good idea to keep parts of Middle Earth away from theaters, as it leaves some things to the imagination.

Shaba, I can see where you're coming from with your comments. I went to see the film again last weekend and you do have valid points with your comments. I think that my standards of Hollywood movies is so low that I just allow myself to be entertained, rather than find fault with every change they made to the book. If I want the kind of luck that got Bilbo through his adventures, I'll read the book again ;)

Though now I'll never get rid of the image of Martin Freeman as Bilbo, I think. Not to worry though, I think I already stated somewhere that I liked him as Bilbo :) That's always a problem with a film adaptation of a book, the image of the actors gets superimposed on your own imagination (which makes me grateful that one of my absolute all time favourites, Juliet Marilier's Daughter of Sevenwaters, was never filmed, and I hope it never will be). I had that problem with LotR, and I'll have it with The Hobbit when I reread that, but the problem will be smaller because I re-read LotR oftener than The Hobbit.

One more positive thing I have to say is about Thorin. He's such a good actor that I didn't even realise I knew him :) Richard Armitage plays Guy of Gisborne in the BBC Robin Hood series, and Mr. Thornton in the BBC series North and South, both of which I've seen (in the first case just the first series). Still it took me two viewings and even then the credits at the end of the film to realise that I knew the actor. So that's good! :)

Irid al'Menie
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2013, 02:52:54 »

I know this effect you describe, Irid - a film's images colonizing my imagination when I read the book on which the film is based. There was a time, years ago, when I refused to see certain films because I wanted to avoid this intrusion on my relationships with books. (Don't tell my girl friend that I have relationships with books.)

Strangely, though, when I re-read The Lord of the Rings two years ago, having seen all the films (although not recently, at that point), I found that Tolkien's language was stronger than the memory of the film, and that I was free to imagine my own Aragorn, Gimli, Samwise, and Smeagol. Whether this will hold for The Hobbit, I don't know. Since I re-read that last autumn, and won't re-read it again for quite a while, I won't find out soon!

I had never heard of Juliet Marilier; will check her out sometime.

I thought a lot of the acting in the Hobbit was good, actually - when the actors actually got to act , that is, rather than jump around brandishing weapons. :)

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Alexandre Scriabin

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2013, 13:46:42 »

Warning: There are spoilers in my post!

How in the world are they going to make 3 movies out of the hobbit?

I had figured that they would spend the next movie narrating Beorn and Mirkwood, and maybe end it with them floating to Dale. After that, I think the rest of the material really could make up a whole movie, although I don't see that being a three hour event. But they might add in more stuff like the whole spiel they fabricated about the white orc being Oakenshield's rival, and mucking with the journey, or of course they could draw from other assorted works of Tolkien, like they had with a few details in this first movie.

However, from about one hour in, I thought it slowly but surely descended into a generic action movie. A major plotline was added as an excuse to spend more time on battles (just as Arti suspects).

Yeah, that was why I would have been more excited to see Benicio del Torro have a go at it, because of what he had to say about the project when he thought he was going to be a part of it. If I remember right, he hadn't actually read the books before being offered the role of director, and found out when he read them that he was passionate about Tolkien's work, and that he was happy with just mainly taking Tolkien's work and paring it down, instead of paring it down and then making it Hollywood palatable with blunders like this white orc plotline.

Not to mention that there were changes that didn't seem to have any effect so far as making it Hollywood palatable, like Radagast the Brown meeting the company. A really pointless change. It probably didn't make the movie seem all that much better to those who aren't as familiar with Tolkien's work, and all it really served to do was to irritate those of us who can be a little anal about Middle Earth, for a few minutes.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2013, 13:50:22 by Alexandre Scriabin » Logged

"If there is anyone here whom I have not insulted, I beg his pardon."

Johannes Brahms
Alexandre Scriabin

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2013, 13:55:08 »

Irid, my understanding has always been, and research that I've just done online confirms, that The Hobbit was written by Tolkien well before Lord of the Rings. I'm happy to be proven incorrect though.

I'm pleased you enjoyed the movie, Irid. :)

Well, of course Bilbo stands out. :) It is called The Hobbit, after all. :) I never fully understood why there were so many dwarves in that story, anyway. Even the fairy tales only ever had 7 dwarves.

What was Barry Humphries like in it? He was the lead goblin, apparently.

Irid was referring to other assorted tales that were written after the four main books everyone reads. You may find some of it in the Silmarillion, or in individual tales that weren't added to the Silmarillion. Another example where you can draw backstory from an assorted tale of Tolkien's, is in the Fellowship. Do you remember Tom Bombadil? Well, he has his own tale.

If you were to own the same edition of the Return of the King that I have, which has notes and genealogies and an index at the end of it, concerning the kings of men and dwarves, you would find the account of the dwarf lords of Erebor, which is what I believe Irid is referring to. In it is detailed the actual story of the white orc from Moria, which they borrowed from but twisted around to make it into a plotline more relevant to the journey, as opposed to just being an account of Oakenshield's heritage and the fall of his people.
« Last Edit: 29 January 2013, 13:59:50 by Alexandre Scriabin » Logged

"If there is anyone here whom I have not insulted, I beg his pardon."

Johannes Brahms
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1083
Latest: s3bast1an
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 9
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 95
Total: 95

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!