Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Programmer Looking For Something To Do  (Read 3477 times)
Seagazer
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« on: 27 February 2013, 04:21:10 »

Hi! I'm a guy whose always been intrested in fantasy, but have since become a programmer. I know C#, with experience in both Windows 8, Windows, and Windows Phone development, a wee bit of Java, and Python. Your website seems to be a bit outdated, with tables and <font> tags instead of CSS, and you're using Flash for the Santhworld game instead of a more mobile friendly environment. I've been playing through some of Santhworld, Nepris, Unvited and Enemy, and it seems it might  be a great fit for mobile. I could begin to port these to native clients for Windows 8, Windows Phone, and Android if I had the original assets, i.e, the beautiful art, sounds and text that are in these modules.

Thanks!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 27 February 2013, 04:55:13 »

Hello there Seagazer!

Well, yes, the site design is a bit outdated, at least the code behind it. Frames are also frowned upon nowadays, but well, the site has just grown to thousands of pages, and we gave content the priority over redesigning the whole thing. However, help is always welcome. If you are stylesheet proficient and can create CSS code that reconstructs how most our Compendium pages look like, that would be great and if it works we could gradually change to stylesheets. Just in case you're up to the challenge... :)

I'd also need someone who can optimize out front page for search engines, but that another matter... ;)

As for Santhworld: Well, I don't know how you would approach such a conversion, because Santhworld is completely designed for Flash and is still constantly expanded. Do you know any ActionScript? The way Santhworld works probably looks quite dated as well by now (we reads text files per command from the server), but it has just historically developed that way. And I have no experience with Windows 8 or Phone stuff, so I'm not much use in this regard. Maybe Grinch knows more, he's the main Santhworld Flash developer by now, who handles server communication, I'm basically responsible for the editor. Note that we also plan to release said VB editor in the coming months, which will allow everyone to create own modules, and you won't need to know any Flash at all for that.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Seagazer
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 February 2013, 05:01:08 »

Does the site use a CMS, or is it all just static HTML?
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 27 February 2013, 05:06:56 »

It's all static HTML, the pages are made manually with Front Page... You see, technical advance is not our forte... lol

However, I've made some tools for myself, e.g. to update the history tables of all entries involved in my local web, or create vocabulary pages for the languages, things like that. But these are just my own helpers.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 February 2013, 09:35:43 »

Welcome Seagazer!

I am but a lowly artist/mage trying to make his way in Santharia.  grin  Good to see we may have someone here who can help Art and Grinch on the back-end.  While Art has done a stupendous job with what he has, I think a fresh look is always welcome.  I really hope you find a home here and enjoy the site.  We could always use a person with your talents.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Seagazer
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 March 2013, 11:12:17 »

Do you have a copy of the assets you used to create a Santhworld module, i.e, images, text, and music. I have some free time, so I may be able to create a port of Uninvited or a similarly small module to Windows 8.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 12 March 2013, 16:44:02 »

Ok... "Uninvited" is probably the best thing to start with, because its short and simple and doesn't have role playing game logic, and not even an inventory is really required.

So I've put a package together now for you, which should at least help you to see how the Santhworld thingy currently works and give you further ideas. Please download the attached ZIP file and unzip it in a folder. There will be two sub-folders. Open the module folder and then start the santhworld.swf with your browser. Now you will be able to play Santhworld locally on your computer.

Please note that this is just a basic version, and there's only Uninvited stuff included, and only some first basic sounds, just to get you started and see how things work. If you make progress or need the database itself I can give you that later. For now simply type START UNINVTED and enter the first room, and you will see pictures changing and hear background music and sounds. Note that every single room is stored in an own folder in text files (the first room with the book e.g. is "uninvited"), with all room specific player commands in there as well. In the text files there are also scripts what sound to play, what variable to set etc. (see an example of a triple script e.g. in read-book_1_1_1_1.txt) So you can have a look around in the folder structure and learn from that how it all fits together.

Give it a try and let me know if that helps and if there are any questions.
« Last Edit: 12 March 2013, 16:51:24 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Seagazer
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 March 2013, 01:08:33 »

Hi!

I've been super busy with RL stuff so I haven't had a ton of time to work on this, but it seems like the package you provided should be very helpful. I think the best plan would be to convert the Santhworld-specific package into a standard XML/JSON datafile so it can be parsed by others. That should be done real soon.

Thanks!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 22 March 2013, 03:15:19 »

Looking forward to what you can accomplish, Seagazer - if you have specific questions, just let me know.

There's definitely one more thing you should be aware of, which are Santhworld scripts, or, more precisely, their definitions. Unfortunately the script reference guide was written in German, but I attach it nevertheless in form of a Word file, because the parameter names themselves pretty much explain most of the scripts.

The main things you need to know is that whenever a text, variable or number is referred to it happens that way:

#     …   signifies a string
!    …    signifies a numeric value
@    ...    signifies a variable

A script looks like this e.g. and I explain it as an example:

{ PlaySound (@Variable) (!Fade) (!Repeat) (!Volume) (!Duration) (!Reset) (#Filename) (#Filename) (#Filename) ... }

@Variable ... variable used for sound control (in this case it equals a sound layer, so that you put different sounds on top of each other)

!Fade ... Sound is faded in (1=yes, 0=no)

!Repeat ... Sound is repeated (1=yes, 0=no)

!Volume ... Volume (0-100)

!Duration ... Length of the fade in portion (if specified) until the specified volume is reached (in seconds)

!Reset ...  Reset a sound variable instantly or wait until last sound of the layer has ended (1=yes, 0=no)

!Filename ... Filename of the sound file, further sounds are optional. They will be played one after the other.

Ok, that's a small look into the mechanics of the whole thing - hope it helps a bit to understand the basics.

Seagazer
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 March 2013, 05:05:29 »

I'm in the midst of working with the code, but if you have any interest in looking over at it, just go to https://c9.io/adamdavies_1/uninvited-santharia, which is where I'm currently looking at the code.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 22 March 2013, 05:22:03 »

Looks interesting, Seagazer... :) Good luck with your mission to make the conversion!  thumbup

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]