Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Author Topic: The Vardınn Monster Map (completed)  (Read 22942 times)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 06 September 2013, 01:11:40 »

Looks very good so far.   thumbup

With the way you drew Milkengrad though, I'm slightly worried that people not familiar with it might think it actually does occupy the entire island.   shocked

From the title I thought I was going to see a map showing the location of monsters.  Then I realized I was a bit foolish.   undecided
Somehow, this happened to me too.   lol

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 06 September 2013, 02:54:25 »

Vardynn Province: Duchy of Ancyros

I have a question. According to Rayne's Vardynn Masterplan, Ancyros is one of the seven duchies of Varydnn. But the only settlement of note I see is Alvang - which, I believe has been deserted since the Witchking's Night in the time of Saban Blackcloak?

So where is the Duchy of Ancyros ruled from? Do we know anything about the major settlements and towns of the Duchy?

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 06 September 2013, 03:56:37 »

@Mina: The town buildings and map elements of course are primarily representative, so the actual size might vary. On the other hand I'm not sure if it is mentioned exactly on site how large Milkengrad is supposed to be exactly, but it should be sort of an exception compared to other towns methinks, as it has a very distinctive position in history as well. Should the size be way off I can of course adjust it somewhat and make it more realistic, but the idea was to make it a bit like it's own kingdom there. I guess Milkengrad is a bit more than just a town.

@Coren: Well, for one the map isn't finished yet. So there's enough opportunity to add more settlements or enlarge an existing one in case we see the need for it. It would help if key developers (e.g. Rayne) would be around while the map is being drawn, so that these things can be pointed out in time. Once the map is filled with all kinds of stuff we need to make a sort of plausibility check any and see if there are still some more adjustments to make.

Right now the map I posted here shows two major settlements south and southwest of the Twinnean Peaks. The last map shows Holm and Acht between the arms of the Vandrina, but the way it looks these aren't Vardınn anymore, but both on Nermeran territory. So I would say a major city is still in order. A perfect location would be south of Ephirn's Lake, next to where I put the wall and where we have a temple structure to the northwest on the other side of the wall. The spot there looks still empty, so methinks that would be a good choice. What do you say?

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 06 September 2013, 04:44:40 »

and where we have a temple structure to the northwest on the other side of the wall.

Did you mean north-east or am I looking at the wrong wall/gate? If so, then it's perfect. =)

The duchy is supposed to be rich in minerals, so one of the major settlements could be near Heckra or one of the other mountain ranges?

(And I love that we have a Stonehenge hidden in the forest! And then another one to the south - Fanghenge? :P - northeast of the mill.)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 06 September 2013, 05:03:59 »

Yeah, northeast is what I meant actually. Another one could be east of the Hèckra, next to the fields :)

"Fanghenge" BTW already exists - in Manthria, see here. :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 06 September 2013, 05:06:50 »

Well, clearly she plagiarized from me...  rolleyes

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 06 September 2013, 16:50:36 »

@Mina: The town buildings and map elements of course are primarily representative, so the actual size might vary. On the other hand I'm not sure if it is mentioned exactly on site how large Milkengrad is supposed to be exactly, but it should be sort of an exception compared to other towns methinks, as it has a very distinctive position in history as well. Should the size be way off I can of course adjust it somewhat and make it more realistic, but the idea was to make it a bit like it's own kingdom there. I guess Milkengrad is a bit more than just a town.
Yeah, I know the cities aren't drawn to scale.  I'm hoping that'd be stated more clearly somewhere though.  I've seen some entries, mostly older ones though, where places were treated as if they were much closer to each other than they really were. 

Milkengrad's size isn't mentioned on the site itself, I think, but there's a map of it here.  If drawn completely to scale, it'd probably be just a dot on the southwestern coast of the island, just across the strait from the easternmost point of the neighbouring island.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #22 on: 07 September 2013, 16:15:57 »

Hmmm... Aside from the fact that the current version of Milkengrad I made doesn't fit to this map of Curgan, Curgan's map also doesn't seem to be very exact either, or cannot be taken as an exact blueprint just as it stands. Maybe back in the days when this was posted (2003) the scale of the original Santharian map was still very different, as we made a reduction at some point, because the distances would have been way too large. Even on the original Santharian map Milkengrad was marked as a huge city and cannot be just a dot in southwestern Efirhal Island. This would be absurd. Compared to Curgan's blowing up the map and adding villages there and stuff my super detailed map couldn't even include all that even if I wanted to. Even Esperoth Island is so large that one can only see a tip of it, and there are islands mentioned that wouldn't even remotely qualify for a fly spot on my map.

So, I guess what I can try is to reduce Milkengrad somewhat, move it further southwest, include a couple of settlements that are explicitly mentioned here and seem to be of some importace and adjust Esperoth a bit in this direction as well. But Milkengrad would still cover at least half of the island, and there'd be a good deal of re-interpretation from my side necessary. Also means quite a bit of re-work, and it would only be an approximation, but methinks that's the best that could be done here.

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 07 September 2013, 17:44:23 »

Lovely maps! Worth many auras. I hope they will spark a lot of new entries. (No, I'm not going up there ;) )

The hobbits holes are really cute, their fields though seem a bit too rectangular and orderly to me. I always imagined more randomly laid out borders with a lot of paths in-between, trees and  bushes. Well, maybe our hobbits differ a bit from Tolkien's in this regard.

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 08 September 2013, 22:33:06 »

I'm not arguing that Milkengrad should appear as a dot on the map, just pointing out its actual size.  It's perfectly fine for the representation of Milkengrad on the map to take up half or more of the island, since that's just the style the map is drawn in.  The actual city shouldn't though, since the island is about 150km from east to west, and only the biggest modern cities even come close to that size. 

Rayne (Alır)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: 13 September 2013, 15:59:25 »

It would help if key developers (e.g. Rayne) would be around while the map is being drawn, so that these things can be pointed out in time.

Sorry, Artimidor. buck Late as ever.

I agree a settlement near Ephirn's Lake would be preferable; it would be nice if there were a road leading to Jernais and the cities along the river Vandrina.

Alas, it's been so long, I wouldn't necessarily know if anything was amiss; I've forgotten so much!--And I distinctly recall being somewhat (frustratingly?) unopinionated about the location of cities and topographical features. But the maps do look wonderful; impressive and endearing in their details and scope. The effort and skill of their maker is clear. :)

If there's anything I can do to help, please let me know.  heart

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #26 on: 15 September 2013, 16:04:48 »

Of course it helps if I have a lot of leeway on where to put settlements, mountains etc. on the map, because otherwise I'd have to check constantly whether this and that could be placed somewhere, and filling the map with details is already quite a task without all that extra work. Basically the important thing I need help with is to point out where things are clearly off to already established stuff in existing entries for example - as is the case with the current Milkengrad version as Mina pointed out. So whenever there's something in this regard, please let me know :)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #27 on: 23 September 2013, 02:34:48 »

Milkengrad has been reworked BTW in the meantime and currently looks like this:

Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 23 September 2013, 13:26:47 »

Sorry to make you go through all that work.  It looks a lot more reasonable now.   thumbup

In fact now I wonder if it might look too sparse compared to some of the other cities you've drawn, eg. the one to the northeast of the same image (I've forgotten its name), and I wouldn't mind if it had a few more houses packed into it so it feels more populated.  But if doing that is going to involve a lot of work, then never mind.  I don't want to make you redo the whole thing again. 

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #29 on: 24 September 2013, 02:38:51 »

Well, the way I see it there are basically two options how to improve on that: The size of the mountain could be reduced to make room for another house or two, or - this is my preferred option - to tear down part of the western wall and move the mountain partly into the sea. This would make room for more houses in the town center and give the castle an even cooler position and nice view over the sea. The western wall isn't really necessary given the fact that the area is mountainous and there might be steep cliffs making it impossible to attack from there effectively...

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1083
Latest: s3bast1an
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 98
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 97
Total: 97

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!