Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Author Topic: The Vardưnn Monster Map (completed)  (Read 23372 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #75 on: 02 November 2013, 21:58:48 »

I'll see to that as well then :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #76 on: 04 November 2013, 03:59:21 »

And another update of the map - lots of further names added (mainly in the east), also some small rivers in the Eralon area, Astran was also moved now to the location it actually has on the main map, the Aurora fields are now properly separated etc. to name just a couple of things. See the current version here:

The Santharian Province of Vardưnn, unlabelled version V 1.4 (2.63 MB)

The Santharian Province of Vardưnn, labelled version V 1.4 (2.73 MB)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Amabella Catston
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: 05 November 2013, 10:44:29 »

Does Caeaar's Hold become Vaederins, Dekthyr become Jaelynn, and Dalash become Myrmodin after the March of the Darkest Knight, or would you like to keep the original names? According to the text it could go either way. (Maybe the village west of Cardos could possibly take one of those names?)

Will the bridge by Denring look like the one to the west of the Heath? I would guess that it would be one of the largest bridges in the the Heath of Jernais or second largest, though Evergrey could be larger.

I really like the detail of the landscape of Heath itself, and it looks very accurate to the way it is described. The windmills, the farmlands, and even the tree farms are all there.

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: 05 November 2013, 12:34:32 »

There is a village southwest of Foulwater, between two unnamed streams.  Can that be Cahlgrey?  With the larger stream the Bow and the smaller the Crossbow?  (my little Easter Eggs to home town).  I'll make mention of them in my Salsair entry and later on do an entry on it as well.  :D

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #79 on: 05 November 2013, 20:38:07 »

@Amabella: Good that you stopped by, so that we can fix these things. With such a gigantic map there's a lot bound to be unintentionally forgotten. I always spot things that should be different when I try to label an area...

Anyway, the names are indeed mentioned there at the March of the Darkest Knight - I tried to find them on your map and in various entries but didn't succeed, so I put others in. But of course keeping the originals is the way to go, so I'll see to update that and move the new names somewhere else.

The other thing is the Denring bridge and a street leading north through the Thaelon. Will be added!

One more thing I noticed yesterday: Your map shows a major canal, this is also currently not implemented, but should definitely be there. Will get to that as well.

@Altario: Yes, can be done - traded for the Salsair entry... ;)

Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: 06 November 2013, 01:07:22 »

You're a lot faster than me.  :D

Here's a few more names.  Argammon in the dev thread was by the sea, not the lake, so I moved the label to a town further west and gave the former Argammon a new name.  There's also something I labelled "what is this?"; what does that symbol represent?

The name Eralon bothers me for some reason, even though I came up with it.  It doesn't feel very Centoraurian or Kyranian to me.  If it's altered slightly to Erailon, it's actually a somewhat appropriate Styrash name, but now the problem is that it's pretty far from the nearest Elvish territory, the Vontron forest, and extending it to the swamp basically cuts Centoraurian territory in half.  Maybe a small tribe of swamp elves or something that split off from the Sanhorrhim?  Or I could just try to think of a better name.

About other parts of the map:
Blowcrusher Fort is actually a little to the west of the Golden Bridge.  Switching the locations of the two labels should fix that, I think.

There's still a couple of Elven settlements in the Goltherlon.  Is that intentional?

Edit: Do the cavern entrances always indicate Dwarven settlements, or can they be things like Human mines or natural uninhabited caves?
« Last Edit: 06 November 2013, 01:10:56 by Mina » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #81 on: 06 November 2013, 04:45:35 »

Okeydokey, will be all integrated! Thanks for the bunch of new names and ideas, Mina! thumbup All fine with "Erailon" - maybe there's an opportunity to get a little story in later to explain the name, so that would make a nice touch. Doesn't all need to be entirely streamlined. :)

Concerning your question: "What is this?" Well, you tell me... lol Anyway, the symbol at any way is intended for some sort of temple, most likely a human one of course. There are also round structures that resemble temples, and I've already labelled some of them up north somewhere.

Goltherlon: Well, I initially placed some elven settlements there out of habit, then remembered that the Goltherlon elves aren't actually there anymore. However, I thought it could very well be that some structures remained and that gnomes took over some of them. So they still have ancient elven names, but there aren't any there anymore, or just a few of them interested in studying Goltherlon history. So same here: A bit of diversity hasn't hurt anybody, eh?

Cavern entrances: Well, the Fores should be strongly dominated by the dwarves, practically everywhere else a tunnel/mine in the mountain could be anyone else's mine/cave I'd say, e.g. a human mine or an uninhabited place. Some caves in the Fores could also be natural of course.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #82 on: 06 November 2013, 05:52:43 »

Aaaand here already comes the next version with the latest things mentioned already integrated (see comments above). I made one change to the suggestions, because Alt's Bow River and Mina's Aelunn River would be the same one. So I've kept Alt's name here of Bow and Crossbow and moved the Aelunn River (actually a branch then of the Bow) the one going through Salsair. Hope that's ok. Also added now was the main Vandrina canal and various gird-like connections to the other bodies of water in the the Jernais Heath area... Let me know what you think! :)

Here as the latest versions:

The Santharian Province of Vardưnn, unlabelled version V 1.5 (2.64 MB)

The Santharian Province of Vardưnn, labelled version V 1.5 (2.78 MB)

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: 06 November 2013, 23:47:03 »

Another Aura for you on this Arti.  Really love this map.  It really inspires and excites. thumbup

Amabella Catston
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 7

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: 07 November 2013, 10:59:04 »

Looks good! thumbup

Seeker
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 465

Fire Mage

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: 07 November 2013, 13:18:45 »

LOOOOOVE the map!  Aura dump for you.  thumbup thumbup thumbup

clap2 clap2 clap2

Great Work.  Just like Alt said it is very inspiring.  The map makes you want to learn more about the places and people and animals that live there.

Every entry deserves a picture.   -Seeker
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #86 on: 10 November 2013, 16:53:37 »

General note: I have a few days off and am aiming to finish the labelling of the map within the next days. So if any of you still have suggestions, please try to provide them as soon as possible!

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #87 on: 10 November 2013, 17:48:39 »

And another update after further labelling was done to keep you up to date:

The Santharian Province of Vardưnn, unlabelled version V 1.5 (2.58 MB)

The Santharian Province of Vardưnn, labelled version V 1.5 (2.76 MB)

Among the most important changes/additions done in this version is the fact that there were some more changes around Milkengrad, so that the seven forts are no present, albeit in different forms. Axeldam for example is now a tower on a smal island in the city, Pelesgarth was enlarged to a full town and the fort added, which resembles a castle, Fort Helbury is there, a Norgammon tower, the Valley of Kings etc. Other than that the northeast got a lot of stuff added and once I'm done with the northeastern part I'll move over to the three large islands - of which there exist practically no names on the site whatsoever other than that what's already there.

Anyway, as I said above: I#m planning to conclude this within the next days, so if you still have something to add, please do so as soon as possible!

Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: 10 November 2013, 23:49:28 »

Might be a little late to say this, but...  Might we be better off NOT naming everything on the map?  I'm just thinking that later on, having everything named might stifle some of the same creativity and inspiration that we are feeling right now with this magnificent empty pallet before us.  As a new person looks at a fully labeled map, they assume everything is already integrated, where a map with unnamed towns, mountains, woods, sees opportunity before him and this ignites their creativity.

Just a thought. :D

EDIT:  Or maybe different label colours for the unintegrated areas.?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #89 on: 11 November 2013, 01:58:37 »

I'm not a big fan of leaving a map halfway done. Maps may be reused later on a couple of times, and for these versions things need to be nailed down or you just copy a problem/undefined area and it spreads. Changing maps later is no fun at all. Otherwise you might as well say that we could add a mountain later if inspiration strikes. It has always been the other way round from the beginning of the site: Make a map and let people interpret what's there. And I'd like to see it continue that way, because everything else makes things just more difficult. This map has been in the making for months and people had enough time to suggest names. It helps if they are there as well to chip in.

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1084
Latest: reatha16
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 56
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 41
Total: 41

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!