Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Author Topic: The Vardınn Monster Map (completed)  (Read 23475 times)
Mina
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 63

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: 12 November 2013, 23:12:49 »

General note: I have a few days off and am aiming to finish the labelling of the map within the next days. So if any of you still have suggestions, please try to provide them as soon as possible!
I've added a few more names.  Since it looks like there might not be time for another map, here are some names I made that I haven't found a place to assign to yet:

Markal (Kyranian; Markalum is probably a suitable city name, but there aren't any Kyranian cities left to name)
Naemere (Kyranian)
Liscay (Kyranian)
Milenos (probably Kyranian)
Amarcum (could be either)
Cormare (Kyranian)
Enokelos (probably Kyranian)
Curolan (Centoraurian)
Lannath (Centoraurian)
Aelinnon (Centoraurian)
Naminor (could be either?)
Caendor (probably Centoraurian?)
Essaros (probably Kyranian)
Antaea (probably Centoraurian; Antaean [something]?)
Agactar (Centoraurian)
Pelagaea (Centoraurian)

Most of Xaramon is quite Centoraurian nowadays I think, but among the areas shown on the map, the Ilian Plateau and the areas south and east of it are probably still quite Kyranian.  The area between Aelistra, Fort Telinon, Caemor, and Damarel are probably a mix of the two, with the Centoraurian places and names probably being the newer ones.  Likewise the area roughly between the Ilian Plateau and the three lakes north of it, with Centoraurian influences increasing as you get closer to the lakes.

Outside Xaramon, I'm not so sure, but I think the border of Centoraurian/Helcrani culture and Erpheronian culture is probably somewhere in the plains between the Aelunn River and Cahlgrey?

There's also Garret's Roan Forest, which could be somewhere near Fort Aptolon, although it might be too small to show up on a map of this scale, being just a few hundred meters across according to the incomplete entry.

Suggestions and feedback are welcome, especially regarding Kyranian stuff, which I'm not that familiar with.

Edit: Could there be some passes in the High Fores?  Perhaps near Ahaiwana, Heleroth, and Menegula?  That would help connect the Helcrani settlements on both sides of the mountains to each other.

By the way, how do you come up with names so quickly?  I mostly pick the better-sounding names produced by random name generators and tweak them until they seem to fit, but it tends to take quite a lot of tries to get something decent from the generators.
« Last Edit: 12 November 2013, 23:19:35 by Mina » Logged

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #91 on: 14 November 2013, 20:12:53 »

Ok, just finished the map now, so final version right here:

The Santharian Province of Vardınn, unlabelled version V 1.6 (2.58 MB)

The Santharian Province of Vardınn, labelled version V 1.6 (2.87 MB)

If you still discover that there's still something missing/wrong etc. please let me know, otherwise this looks pretty comprehensively labelled to me.

I tried to integrate all of Mina's latest suggestions and there are some geographical changes as well, but nothing major. Lots of missing bridges were added for example, some woods/fens expanded or slightly moved for the one or the other reasons, some more names as references to what was mentioned on the site or on the Forum (Altheim and ruins, the Roan forest e.g.), passes were added, and so on. Well, look for yourself.

As for how to come up with names: Well, it's a mixture of everything. Tribal people nomenclature as basis, take parts of existing names in the region and twist them, multiple name generators from the web as inspiration, gut feeling, take cool sounding English words and just transform them in the desired direction, plus the conviction that not every name needs to fit perfectly to a tribe - after all the Santharian Kingdom has existed for a while by now... :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: 15 November 2013, 00:30:23 »

thumbup

Some quick comments:

The mountains directly south of Rumeflor belong to the Zirghurim Dwarves, so Rumsdale is probably too Human-sounding.  The Dwarves do have vineyards there though, if you want some kind of alcohol connection.

The bay should be the Cyon Sola Bay, according to existing maps.  Also, how about Dragon's Spine instead of Serpent's Spine?  That ties it to the dragon legend.

Fort Doh'Xeuan (is it an Elvish name?) doesn't look like it'd have much to protect there, I think, and the area is either within or near one of the Zirghurim Dwarves' territories.  Maybe it could be moved to where Khaelvan's Point is and turned into a lighthouse or something?

Zirkumire Mountains isn't exactly incorrect, but according to the current (very old) entry, that name refers to all the mountains on the Chadomm Peninsula.  The mountain range visible on the map is the Wanderer Mountains.

Hersten Channel could maybe be Hersten's Channel instead?  Hersten was the name of one of the Centoraurian kings.

Roan Forest is apparently intended to be relatively small.  Maybe the small forest to the east of Fort Aptolon would work better?

Naemere was used twice, once for a mountain near Corgammon, and again for a fort in the south, near the river.  They aren't near each other at all, so maybe one of them should be changed?

Edit: I spotted something in the Centoraurian Royal Lines entry:

ca. 1890 b.S.   King Carbug the Great
(Son: Agum)
Carbug the Great is the Founder of Centorauria. He descends from an Iceland family that over the Centuries came south. He rises to power to a proto-Centoraurian tribe and manages to unite them to a confederation of tribes under his rule. He builds his capital, that bears his name in the center of the Aurora Fields, from where the name "Centorauria" derives.
1662 b.S.
to 1650 b.S.   King Lanaget
King Lanaget is the last of the Carbugian dynasty. Carbug is burned to the ground and is never inhabited anymore.
Perhaps the ruins of Carbug could be added next to Naminor?
« Last Edit: 15 November 2013, 17:19:06 by Mina » Logged

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #93 on: 15 November 2013, 23:15:26 »

Just wanted to hop in and say, how I appreciate you work , Art, and your commenting so eagerly too, Mina. :)

I stay away with purpose, I don't want to get involved with another area and I know myself - if I look too often at that map I have ideas for this and that - better I concentrate on my area ;)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #94 on: 15 November 2013, 23:54:56 »

Thanks for the further suggestions, Mina, I've implemented them now :) Good thing especially that you spotted he Carbug thing - definitely a very crucial detail that should be in the map! :D

One exception, though - "Rumsvale" I've kept for now, because I think it's actually a pretty nice name. Doesn't necessarily derive from "rum", but from "Rumeflor". I regularly try to use derivations of names in adjacent territories to keep a certain consistency. So I think it fits there because of the adjacent town, and the vale might still be called that way by the humans, regardless of the dwarves. Maybe it also has a dwarven name, but as it's only the first valley in this mountain range I thought a human name that makes somewhat sense would still be applicable.

Oh, and as for the Dóh'Xeuán Fort: Oftentimes buildings are added somewhere simply because the place looks empty... lol So I've moved it, turned into a lighthouse and made a little village there on the coast instead...

Anyway, rest is all in, check it out here:

The Santharian Province of Vardýnn, unlabelled version V 1.7 (2.58 MB)

The Santharian Province of Vardýnn, labelled version V 1.7 (2.87 MB)
« Last Edit: 15 November 2013, 23:57:19 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Mina
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: 16 November 2013, 04:10:16 »

One exception, though - "Rumsvale" I've kept for now, because I think it's actually a pretty nice name. Doesn't necessarily derive from "rum", but from "Rumeflor". I regularly try to use derivations of names in adjacent territories to keep a certain consistency. So I think it fits there because of the adjacent town, and the vale might still be called that way by the humans, regardless of the dwarves. Maybe it also has a dwarven name, but as it's only the first valley in this mountain range I thought a human name that makes somewhat sense would still be applicable.
Fair enough.  I would probably have extracted "rume" instead of "rum" from the name, but "Rumsdale" is a pretty nice name indeed, so it works.  :)

Is "Dóh'Xeuán" a Styrash name?  It looks that way, but I don't see "doh" in the dictionary.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #96 on: 16 November 2013, 17:37:37 »

Dóh'Xeuán: I do such things regularly - put in a word that isn't in the dictionary and combine it with existing ones. This allows creativity to fill in the gaps later on. "Xeuán" means "to connect" and the tower looks out to the sea, so one can build something from there with a bit of thought. Similar with "Rumsdale" for example and its connotations - "Rumeflore" and "rum" - it's up to the developer to make something from these possible associations... ;)

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #97 on: 17 November 2013, 17:03:31 »

I've started preparing the Vardınn Provinces Overview page comparable to the Manthrian one we already have on the site with zoomable map, list of towns and stuff. Here all existing entries are integrated. In the process I spotted a few more things that needed to be updated on the main map, so here are the changes I've made:

- Added Grove of Embers on Efirhal Island east of Milkengrad
- The so far still unnamed forest north of the Aurora Fields now bears a name: "Aurora Woods"
- Big Glade added to the Goltherlon Forest
- The latter in order to harbour a well: The Glistening Well of Goltherlon, now also present :)

Latest version right here as usual:

The Santharian Province of Vardınn, unlabelled version V 1.8 (2.64 MB)

The Santharian Province of Vardınn, labelled version V 1.8 (2.93 MB)

Seagazer
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: 19 November 2013, 07:43:17 »

Really beautiful map. The level of detail in this map (+ the Manthria one) is really incredible. All the details from the smoke from Hèckra, to the cliffs on the seashore are really beautifully done.

Thanks.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #99 on: 10 December 2013, 04:33:51 »

Just wanted to add here that I've made a poster from the current map for personal use which is pretty cheap I'd say (15 EUR without framing and stuff), and it looks pretty cool as far as I'm concerned. Not sure if the Deviant Art prints are that recommendable compared to a local poster company because the transport costs seem to be quite horrendous - a picture with a decent border would amount to 70 EUR for transport only (!), even though they claim they can send prints from everywhere... Anyway, I'm fine with my "cheap" print, and my dad can easily make a decent border for it... Having a map like this on the wall for easy reference definitely makes things easier :)

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #100 on: 10 December 2013, 17:58:30 »

I purchased a Manthria map last year and it is very good, I would not know, what about I should complain. It is sharp, the grey scale ok, so I only can recommend it. You just have to wait, until deviantart offers free shipping again :)

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: 31 December 2013, 12:25:30 »

I think I found a mistake.  Just East of Salsair there is a little community of North Arlemoth.  Just to the south of that is the larger community of Arlemaroth.  One of these would be incorrect, no?

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #102 on: 31 December 2013, 17:21:25 »

Definitely a mistake, Alt. Arlemaroth is the correct name as that's the one Rayne suggested for the town in the Vardınn brainstorming thread. So this was fixed now along with some further smaller changes now that I#m at it. Changes are as follows:

- Judy's suggestions concerning Lake Bourshal (Twinwater, Twintears, Burfall) are now integrated.
- The river leading away from the Hèckra towards Woldothan in the east now also has a name: Angswin.
- Unnamed settlement of the Goltherlon is now called Mérin'fóld (lit. "Flower Village").

Latest version right here as usual:

The Santharian Province of Vardınn, unlabelled version V 1.9 (2.64 MB)

The Santharian Province of Vardınn, labelled version V 1.9 (2.93 MB)

Altario Shialt-eck-Gorrin
Santh. Member

The Remusian

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: 01 January 2014, 08:03:52 »

I don't see it as fixed, Art.  Still Arlemaroth and North Arlemoth.

EDIT: Nevermind.  I refreshed it and it fixed.  Must have been in my cache.

"Lather...Rinse...Repeat"   Why has God made my life so complicated?

This is what I'm working on
Shabakuk Zeborius Anfang
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 192

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: 02 January 2014, 00:49:59 »

Looks fantastic, Art. Really great work. Like others, I admire the details: Hèckra's smoke, the beautiful bridges, the Henge of Sabannicar, ...

Apologies if I've missed something, but what do the spots of light in the eastern Thaelon Forest signify?

The Hèckra Ashfields appear to be missing an accent on the "e"?

The greatest danger in life is that you may take too many precautions.
Ding-dong!
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1084
Latest: reatha16
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 119
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 107
Total: 107

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!