Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Author Topic: Game on Story Nexus based on Santharia world  (Read 19232 times)
Rominet

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 25 January 2014, 02:04:31 »

Hi,

I'm not sure where to post this information, so here it is. Feel free to move it to another section if needed.

I have developed a free RPG based on the Story Nexus platform (Story Nexus is a free platform on the web allowing to do some "Choose Your Own Adventure" type of game). I wanted to build an RPG based on this technology but without recreating an entire world.

As the game is not commercial and is just one person during his free-time, I believe it is aligned with the purpose of Santharia. I have multiple links in the game to this website to show the project.

You can take a look at http://santharia.storynexus.com/s

Please let me know if this usage of your world is allowed, and (as a side answwer) whether you like the game or not :)

Thanks,
Rominet
« Last Edit: 04 February 2014, 22:39:24 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 25 January 2014, 02:42:10 »

Hello there, romvinot! wave

Thanks for informing us - I've noticed the Storynexus page with the Santharian reference already a while ago, but didn't have much time to look into the possibilities of Storynexus. Anyway, will do so now that your adventure is playable (next week that is, as this weekend is reserved for the site update) and will then comment on it.

In general there shouldn't be a problem with using Santharia as backdrop for an adventure the way you did it, after all it's non-commercial and thus the idea basically fits to the project, so the question is about the details. I don't know yet what you used and how exactly, and there might be the occasional mistake (like Manthria not actually being a kingdom, but a Santharian province), but these things can be pointed out and corrected easily. We'll see. So thanks for now for informing us, will definitely have a closer look later :D

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 27 January 2014, 23:25:58 »

I'm back and have started playing the game for a day or so, romvinot... or Rominet... Looks like you're username differs from your signature ;)

Anyway, on to the game: So far I've quite enjoyed it - nice to see the character move around on Santharian locations with references here and there, even with a nice use of the map so that it is clear where the character can move etc. It's all nicely done as far as I can see, though one needs to get into the system first on how to play a Storynexus game. There are definitely some hurdles there like the fact that it's only possible to equip a sword in the inn (and there's only one apparently). No idea for example if the Cermonial Dagger (Diplomacy +2) actually serves me if I haven't equipped it.

Moving around also always costs action points, so if you play around a bit to check the environment you might run out of action points and have to wait for a while until you can continue. But I guess that's also the point that you cannot rush through the adventure easily and have to consider your actions and after a while you get it, and also that you sometimes shoudl repeat certain actions where your chances aren't that high, because you'll get better by just trying.

So far, so good, I'm currently on a mission in the Rekjin clay pit and will see what awaits there... Have to wait until my action points return of course. Or is there a way how one can test the module without having to wait? Found a couple of smaller mistakes/problems, which I'll list later... There might also be a couple of pics one could use here and there, but of course the game takes place in an area that isn't heavily illustrated, so that's a bit of a pity.

Anyway, I'd like to recommend the game to anyone who reads this (not much action right now on the Forums, though, but anyway) and provide some input as well. As I said: you need to get used to the system, but it's not that complicated and the game is definitely is not as complex as other Storynexus games I've briefly checked out, so you'll manage.

Looking forward to see how things will progress from where I'm right now, romvinot/Rominet - I'll keep you posted! :)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2014, 04:11:39 »

Here are a couple of smaller problems I've found (some spoilers in there, so whoever wants to play the game, keep away from reading the following):

- Calytharia --> Caeytharia
- Kingdom of Manthria --> Santharian Province of Manthria
- Map is clickable and tries to open the full map from the santharia.com which doesn't work (maybe you can allow it to open in a new page, that might help, otherwise Storynexus probably tries to open it inside the display area and somehow fails to do so)
- You enter Gunthar's office ("In the mean time" --> "meantime") *haha* Didn't see anybody act "mean" in thatn time, you know... ;)
- Pray at the altar (you need some time to relax in the hand of the Godess --> Goddess)
- Ciosastran to Avennor Ruins without needing to cross the bridge (map update?)
- My son, I can feel something magic in this ring --> magical
- You found some bodies inside the pitt --> pit
- Reporting the clay pit situation: Report the situation of the Rekjin Clay Pitt (--> Pit) And come back when you area (--> are) ready as I have another assignment for you
- Fighting Training: In the courtyard of the keep, (no comma) there a few soldiers doing sword training with an instructer (--> instructor)

Additions:
- 1 gold coin mentioned in a text when you get it apparently always means 2?
- Three Arcs Keep: Help the brothers while attack in progress?
- Increase athletics capacity (level 3). The text below however reads: "By choosing this option, you will increase your diplomacy capacity by 1." (actually athletics is increased)
- Catching the mercenaries: You can see them a few meters (--> peds) farther.
- I found the handling of the possible options to walk strange in Ciosastran. You can go to the Yanth river, but have to pay there to get across (don't know what's there exactly), or you can go directly to the Avennor Ruins. That passage isn't shown on the map at all by the way. So this should be added, and it should be clear why one would go to the Yanth river at all - because it doesn't lead to another location anymore, so it's just the Yanth river and you'd have to pay for that...
« Last Edit: 28 January 2014, 20:31:01 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Rominet

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 January 2014, 18:32:00 »

Thanks for all the comments.

Regarding the general feeling, I can definitely make a better job at explaining how things work. How equipping items work, etc. So, no, your ceremonial dagger is not useful at all if you don't equip it.

Thanks for all the small mistakes, I will correct it this week (when I find the time).

Regarding the map : it is indeed not clear, but there is a second map on the right behind the Yanth River.

By the way, I'm looking at contributors for multiple stuff :
- for highlighting  the spelling mistakes or badly written expressions
- adding some content in the world to make it more lively (all the small text for each action is small and very dry, adding some small touch of liveliness would be good)
- if the game is successful, I'm looking for contributor to help build the second chapter of the game (for later).

Rominet

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 January 2014, 18:40:26 »

There is a way to give you as many action points as you want, but I would prefer that you play the game as it is supposed to be played. Otherwise you would get a different opinion.

In particular, the game is rather simple and a bit boring if you play for a long period of time. This is why it is made to play by small amount of time each day or so (of course, it doesn't please every player).

If someone wants to become contributor, I will definitely give the infinite action points :)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2014, 18:52:08 »

Sounds interesting! But I have to find the time first to play Seekers game, so no help from me in the near future.  :(

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 30 January 2014, 04:07:14 »

Played a bit further and here are some more comments, Rominet:

- Concerning the bridge: It should definitely be made clear that there's another area waiting in the east, e.g. by adding an arrow to the main stating "To [Name of Peninsula]". You named the peninsula "Ciosa's Rest" as far as I can see in a description somewhere, which is only the area near the Caeytharin Mountains. Guess we don't have any official name for it yet, but maybe go for something like 'Ciosaskhan".

- I'm not entirely sure about the whole travelling options, because where you can go differs sometimes considerably from the map. If I'm not mistaken you can go practically everywhere from Woulton Wold. Ideally the connections should be all shown on the map otherwise it's a bit confusing.

- Quairantree would be a good location to add another inn maybe. Because, you see, as I didn't know the area very well and had no idea that you could go in the direction of Ciosa as well, I walked around in circles in the western area, and the problem is that you can only swap equipment in Klinsor.

- Oh, and I actually wonder: Does the player ever get hurt? In all my encounters with beasts methinks I succeeded or failed, but my hit point were never reduced. So "resting" in Klinsor is a bit pointless if you don't actually "rest" and get your health up, but just equip, say, a sword... ;)

Anyway, I quite enjoy the game and am happy that I get more and more items and improve my reputation! thumbup I think it's also good for the game that you have to wait a couple of hours before you can continue, it just adds to the more realistic game experience and a certain suspense builds up in the meantime, so that's all fine with me. Problem of course is sometimes that you have move quite a bit to finish something and you'll quickly use up your action points that way... But regardless of that, it's really a very neat adventure so far!  cool

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 31 January 2014, 20:46:40 »

Ok, more comments (includes spoilers):

- Quest reward : Main Quest 2.1: At the back of the statue, hidden behind a stone, in a small compartment inside the piedestal --> pedestal
- Interrogation of prisoner: The group is usually hiding in one of the numerous cave (--> caves) of the Caeytharin mountains, not far from the Ciosatran leader's cave.
- Interrogation of prisoner: Congratulations, you have finished your first mini-dungeon - Hmmm... not exactly a dungeon, is it?
- Svak --> Svaq
- The guest is very friendly and invite (--> invites) you for another svak while explaining the marvelous process of creation of Svak.
- Nolan's Farm could be shown on the map, right now the player doesn't know where he is...
- How can I get to Ciosa?? Only via ship? This seems rather strange... Didn't find a way to get to the city be walking....
- I still don't know exactly what the Capacity thing does. My Discovery Skill are 7, Discovery Capacity is 4. I tried the whole time to increase my Discovery Skill to be able to complete the shrine quest, only to find out that the Discovery Capacity is apparently checked, and I need to get that up... So that's all quite confusing...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 01 February 2014, 15:59:33 »

And some more, now mainly in Ciosa:

- Recount the three visits to the priest: You enter in the temple and go directly to the priest who told you to investigate the shrines. He listens attentively to you while you explain to him the three strange reaction (--> reactions) that happened in the shrines.

- This is the main university of Astrology and Astronomy of the entire continent of Savornia (--> Sarvonia).

- Ciosa boat: you find a boat going to Ciosa for business reason (--> reasons)

His manner (--> manners) are suddenly much nicer and he invites you on board, putting you in the best cabin of the boat.

- Brooding Jepp: You refer to it as a "statue" while in fact it's a stone face in the rock or resembles one. See here: www.santharia.com/pictures/jordy/brooding_jepp.htm (This would be a picture you could use here BTW)

- Servants in Duke's keep: To thank you for the small moment of chitchat, the girl gives you one of the candle (--> candles) she kept in her basket.

- Crotae's Magical Emporium: You can find lots of special items like amulet (--> amulets), spellbooks and magical bags (here). In particular, you might be interested in magical powder.

- Kilvs Avenue: all meticulously decorated with grogeous (--> gorgeous) shells from top to buttom (--> bottom)

- Get a room in one of the inn (--> inns)

- Temples of Baveras and Seyella: The temple of Seyella, Goddess of Time and Destiny, is located on the other side of the side (?)

- Astrendum: Fixing shelves - They give you s few coin (--> coins) to thank you for your work.

- Guild of the Stormcloaks: The main building in the port belongs to the prestigious guild of the Stormcloaks. It is one of the main merchant guild (--> guilds) of the continent, operating in every city of Savornia (--> Sarvonia). You could try to be enrolled in their organization, which would give (you) a job now that being a fisherman is not an option anymore.

- You will find a house of the guild in every main city of the world (Erm... That's a bit extreme... Maybe "ports of Sarvonia" is more like it?)

- Helping sailors: As a reward, they put a small (--> get rid of "small" here) coin in your pocket and give you a small hammer that is lying around.

- New delivery: You spend a few minutes checking at the board and you select one of the paper (--> papers). [...] The girl takes it, (then) gives (hands you the small packet you are supposed to deliver).

- Finally, when I delivered packages successfully I got the option to increase capacities. I went for "Fighting capacity", but there's no change in Fighting capacity nor in  Fighting Skills ???
« Last Edit: 02 February 2014, 15:37:52 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Rominet

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 February 2014, 07:35:00 »

Thanks a lot Artimidor for all the comments. I am going over them one by one to fix the texts and taking care of it.

The main fix is the map that really needs to be exactly as the options are on the game, otherwise, it's very confusing.

I will answer a bit later for the comments that are not obvious.

Regarding the capacity, this is the most important characteristic. You increase your capacity either by wearing equipment or by increasing it during leveling. These are the only two options. You need to planify carefully to increase them as you go on.

Small answer regarding hit points : yes indeed, they are useless at the moment. I was planning to start using them in chapter 2 (once I go to the area of the dwarf). But then, it becomes confusing to have them right now if they are not useful, so I will simply remove them.

Regarding  Calytharia --> Caeytharia, is it true for everything ? I had the impression that the duchy was called Calytharia, hence the name of the militia and other things. Shall I change everything to be called Caeytharia instead ?

I have a doc with all the fixing to do. Will update you as I go.
Thanks a lot again. Hope you enjoy the game.
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 03 February 2014, 18:18:37 »

The duchy is definitely called "Caeytharia" as you can see on this map. Don't know where you found the name "Calytharia", but there's no such thing in Santharia. There's a human Santharian tribe called the "Caltharians", but they live further north as well. So yeah, all references to the duchy should be changed to "Caeytharia".

Rominet

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 04 February 2014, 02:41:54 »

- Calytharia --> Caeytharia
[...]
- I found the handling of the possible options to walk strange in Ciosastran. You can go to the Yanth river, but have to pay there to get across (don't know what's there exactly), or you can go directly to the Avennor Ruins. That passage isn't shown on the map at all by the way. So this should be added, and it should be clear why one would go to the Yanth river at all - because it doesn't lead to another location anymore, so it's just the Yanth river and you'd have to pay for that...

Alright, I fixed the first batch of comments.
For calytharia, I modified it everywhere I found it, but I'm not 100% sure I got all cases. Let me know if you found other instances of it.
I redid the map for the west side and it should now be accurate and consistent with the possible roads.
Myralden Tomesmith
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 6

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 04 February 2014, 08:44:40 »

- On the "your adventure beings" page, I think it's still set to the Duchy of Calytharia.
- It kills the game if you middle-click the Manthria map link
- The "More" tab, where the quests are held, should really be called "Quests" ;)
- Is there anyway to check your reputation with factions?

I was really getting into it when I ran out of plays :( other than that it seems expansive, but without an inundation of choices which is nice! When I went to the Faring Inn, however, I found it odd how I could repeatedly stop the miscreants from fighting. Maybe word the actions so as to less sudden if they can be repeated.  thumbup
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 04 February 2014, 16:28:02 »

And a couple more corrections also from here:

- Grumpy Fellow: After talking for a few moment (--> moments) about a certain Lolita, waiting for you in a private room in the upper floor, the innkeeper starts to lower his voice and becomes serious. You ask him about the Red Ribbon and if he knows where are the mercenaries (--> where the mercenaries are to be found).

The innkeeper tells you that only one person knows exactly where they hide : (--> hide:) the sponsor of the campaign. You will need to ask him.

- Swanling's Rest: You have a long discussion during your diner  (--> dinner) with one of the customer (--> customers) who strongly appreciates your meal offer.

- Delivery of plants to the doctor: He is very relieved to see your arrival and ask (--> asks) quickly if you have the requested plants.

- Buy a lockpick: You insist politely. You will not say anything about (who) you sold you the item.

- Avennor Dome Ruins: After a few seconds, the air starts to flicker around the crystal and soon after a gigantic slimer (emerges).

Fire. (F)ire is the best weapon against these oozing creatures. (A f)ireball. [...] You take a wood(en) stick from a dead tree.

- Reporting back to Crotae: You have some magic ability after all. Well, you don't have any technic (--> technique) at all. [...] Don't think of paying me with gold. I have enough of those (--> that). No, my payment is about knowledge (--> No, my payment shall be... knowledge!) [...] "The library of the Starcharts Astrendum is in possession of a very rare book : (--> book:) [...] My payment is very simple : (--> simple:)

- More clues about the Red Ribbon: ...otherwise, you will not be able to get any informations (--> information)

- Brooding Jepp fight: As you walk past the crowd, a man accost (--> accosts) you.

- Swiftsword Guild: The Swiftsword guild is always looking for new recruit (--> recruits). [...]  I saw how you beat your opponent at the Jepp statue (--> at Brooding Jepp's), and needless to say that I am impressed (--> needless to say: I'm impressed). Your companion spend (--> spends) a lot of time explaining how the guild is working.

- First Swiftsword mission:  To begin, you will be assign (--> assigned) 5 tasks and you need to succeed in all of them.

- I will happily reward you for your first mission !" (--> mission!")

- Kilvs Avenue: Find out the underworld sewer (-->Find out about the underworld sewer)

- Deliver the book: As soon as you enter in the shop with the book in your hand, you see the little ximaxian (--> Ximaxian) wizard jumping excitedly. [...] Give me this jewel ! (--> jewel!) This is just perfect ! (--> perfect!)"

- A new wizard is born: The Xeuá magic as (--> is) about connecting components, while the Ecuá magic is about breaking links. [...]  The other magics, outside of th (--> the) scope of Ximax, are the Resonance magic or raw magic...

This passage is written in past tense, while the rest is present tense - should be adjusted as a whole:

The teaching continued for a long afternoon. After some general description, Crotae continues his teaching on how to focus your thought on what you want to achieve...

After the explanation came the exercises. Concentration and focus. It took you more than a day, but finally, you managed to attain the required status.

- Learning magic with Crotae: If you fails (--> fail), you still use the mana point but the action is not successful.

- Rise Flame: it can be extinguish (--> extinguished) with water or strong wind for example (also the whole text somehow lights up when I move over it, so there's something wrong with that)

- Sparkling Stream: With the spell of "Sparkling Stream", the mage is able to create () lots of small sparks of fire, that can be thrown in the air.
« Last Edit: 04 February 2014, 21:32:20 by Artimidor Federkiel » Logged

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1093
Latest: sh4l0nda12
Stats
Total Posts: 144684
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 110
Online Ever: 580
(07 December 2019, 09:39:18)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 4
Total: 4

Last 10 Shouts:
24 October 2019, 13:31:22
Hi and happy 2019 shoutout from me.
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)