Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: First Memnoor user of Void Magic  (Read 3587 times)
Ankhi Doomhand
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« on: 02 February 2015, 09:10:43 »

So I was wondering if I could do a Person entry on the first Brownie to explore the void. All the entry says is that the Memnoor eventually got used to straddling the void. The Ethereal Void entry mentions that coordinates within the void are based on seven dimensions, sometimes eight, so I wanted to write about a guy who has to discover these on his own after stumbling into another world wholly by accident. The only dimension we know beyond our naturalistic four is presumably imagination, but we have no idea what the rest of them are.  Are they all mental, or are some of them beyond Earthly comprehension? Do we know? Do the Memnoor know? If they do, can they describe them? So many questions!!! shocked!
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 02 February 2015, 18:07:19 »

*haha* Well, another interesting idea there :)

If we follow Rod Serling's "Twilight Zone" intro then the 5th dimension is imagination, but I don't know if anyone else has established that... grin If we take that, then this imagination dimension could be a bridge to those other dimensions beyond, and there's probably little use in counting these others, because they might be spheres where numbers are meaningless. Or not? Could there be made an attempt to describe them? Or even an attempt to sketch their outlines?  nerd

Difficult questions at any rate, so I'm not sure how you'd approach that. But in general: if you're looking for a challenge, this could be it... :P

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kareesh Valendar
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 February 2015, 03:09:53 »

If you're wanting inspiration from the real-world, then there have actually been 10 dimensions (maybe 11?) that have been "identified" via the string theory (I think. I'm not really that well knowledgeable in this stuff). Here is an article and a video I dug up.

Article
Video

Just something to help you along. Since this is Santharia, I'm sure we can bend the dimensions to whatever works best for Caelereth.

Aaaand, that's about the extent of my knowledge.

Ankhi Doomhand
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 February 2015, 06:34:55 »

Finally, somewhere where my copious amounts of pointless quantum physics knowledge may finally come in handy! But seriously, let's brainstorm a little. Imagination is definitely number 5, as the Void's own entry hints. After that, maybe emotion? And if we really want to follow some vague semblance of real physics (I don't care if we do, Kareesh just brought it up), "strings" from weaving magic could be one. Another concept from real world is that energy is physical in a higher dimension. In terms of Caelereth, this could be magical energy, particularly elemental, or, more logical for a Brownie to be able to manipulate, life energy. Still don't know what an eighth one would be, but that is only needed some of the time, so the first user wouldn't necessarily know about it, at least not until far later, and even then, we could just cop out and say it is physically impossible to comprehend without experience in the void. That's essentially how physicists describe higher dimensions anyway, though in physics, all dimensions are physical, so a dimension for imagination makes no sense in the real world anyhow.

Oh, and by the way, that's 11 dimensions in strong theory ;)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 03 February 2015, 18:48:15 »

Very interesting links there, Kareesh!

Well, that's really a very complex issue. The whole string theory as it is of course rules out dimensions like "imagination" and "emotion", because they are linked to individuals. According to the physicists a dimension is a state in which individuals live in, that's why "possibility" works better to describe a dimension than "imagination" or "emotion", because the latter are categories how the individual reflects on reality. But yeah, Santharia isn't really string theory.

On the other hand the reference to weaving looks quite fascinating - "weaving" and "string theory" sounds really like an inside joke... lol But well, weaving might be comparable with the realm of "possibility" as far as I'm concerned (as a dimension), only that the Santharian "Weavers" managed to manifest something in this dimension, anchored it and built "possible" cities, which exists beyond the four dimensions.

Well, just more food for thought from here.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ankhi Doomhand
Aspiring Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2015, 05:29:54 »

Weaving as a dimension is a little problematic though, since weaving is primarily an inborn skill, so having all Memnoor able to learn it would be hard to explain. Arti's idea of "possibility" is usable instead, as knowing where in "possibility" something is is at least a little more feasible. Maybe we could take something of a "many worlds interpretation" look, where each alternate world along this axis is just the same world, but with slightly different events, but the same basic beginning (i.e. parallel universes). For example, a utopia could be born of a world where Áva takes direct control, etc. (This could also explain the sometimes maybe kinda existing Netherworld.)

Dimensions list as I see it:
1-4
5. Imagination
6. Emotion (could be replaced with life force/energy)
7. Possibility
8. ?????

For 8, I would suggest maybe Fundamentals??? As in, the basic laws and ways of the universe. In terms of the real world, these would be the laws of physics, but in Caelereth, they could also include the inherent duality of the world. Áva and Có'or may even be physical beings in that world, though that may be a bit of a stretch...
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]