Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Was told to bring this up  (Read 3888 times)
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 25 September 2003, 12:39:00 »

Well... they could perhaps both use it... only in a slightly altered manner - and of course they would both claim to be the first and true masters...

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 25 September 2003, 15:28:00 »

I guess the mentioned "naming" is a typical clerical kind of magic. As a matter of fact we have defined clerical magic as closely related to the power of belief, and belief is just another way of re-arranging cár'áll if we see it from the pure athetistic/"scientific" point of view. Atheism needs to be possible in Caelereth, and believing generates "power" or "magical might" if you want. So you can believe either in a Santharian god or in something else, and produce results. E.g. a voodoo puppet would fall into the same category, if the "caster" believes in its success. And so naming would work as well. It should be a rare technique, however, maybe an ability which is inherited at certain families, a rare gift etc. like it is said that some people have some kind of seer gift or something. Could also be very tribe specific thing. Now I don't know how exactly you planned to realize the namer thing, Kalina, but if you could elaborate the ability in an entry, this would be best of course (and would be the logical step in order to make major things like this possible in Santharia).

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 25 September 2003, 20:33:00 »

Don't worry, I had planned on...filling it out so to speak. I can be quite complicated. I came across it in a series that I am reading. Symphony of Ages by Elizabeth Hayden. Fairly new author I believe. I found it fascinating so I thought I would Try it out.

I can see it has brought on quite a bit of confusion that I did not expect, unfortunately I am at lost for the right words to accurately describe it. In some ways it has nothing to do with music or singing for that matter, it is more of a...::smacks head hoping the right word will come to mind::...special commanding ability ::shrugs:: um...I will work on a good description or something to explain it better. My mind is not functioning properly from the lack of sleep. I apologize. Will be better soon. Soon meaning in a couple of months ;)  

It is better to light a candle than curse the dark

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #18 on: 26 September 2003, 16:53:00 »

Did I say a couple of months???? I meant a couple of days...oops!!!!! There is still a lot to explain but I hope this gets some of the confusion out of the way.

~Singing "Lore" (as I like to call it for my sake) - it intermingles (sorry for the lack of a better term...is it even a word? *shrugs* Oh well) with the Naming "Lore". Before one is a Namer, they must first be trained as a Singer. I don't know if you guys have a musical scale ( I assume not) so I have set one up for what I am to explain it is needed. It is similar but different than the modern one for those who are musically inclined.

~Lisele - ut
~Frith - re
~Merte - mi
~Kurh - fa
~Brige - sol
~Luasa - ela
~Grei - ti

I have chosen the note Luasa - ela, the sixth note of the scale, to be Kalina's.
Explanation: Every Singer/Namer has a note. That note is a part of them, their musical note that their body radiates. (*pounds head thinking for a better word*) With this note, they can tune themselves with anything and use it's musical waves for their utilization and can manipulate it for what they see fit. Everything lets of a tone, a note that those who are trained can focus on and match their note it's and become one with it. This power, is used with extreme disgression for it can backfire if misused and can be immense trouble. Especially in life or death situations.
A downside to the power is that it can be lost in a few words. A Singer/Namer cannot not lie. They can only tell the truth as they know it. If they knowingly lie, then the power as a Singer/Namer is lost. Once lost, they can never become a Singer/Namer again. Since most of their power is in their voice, physical strength limited because they don't trained to become strong physically.

~Naming "Lore"(gah!!! its that word again) - it is a bit more complicated but has similar attributes as to the Singing "Lore". I explained this portion a little in my CD history and my first post here. It has a authoratative arua about it more so than the singing. The power consists of naming and renaming people or creatures in a way that they become or obtain what they are named for. (Will show an example at bottom...if I remember to do so) The naming is usually done in a song, which is sung in a special ceremony. An exclusive song is written specifically for the person, for it will basically define who they are in the future. Great care is taken in the words for whatever is said/sung will be an attribute to the person in a direct or indirect way. The naming usually affects the senses but can affect physically if the words are expressed in a certain way.
The problem is that there are times that the naming can occur unintentionally. This can be either good or bad depending on the situation, person, and the new "name". In these instances, there is no song and it is more on the authority line than the music line.This usually happens with the younger Namers because of their inexperience.

~Will post example later...I promise. Please, if you need any clarification, and I expect you will, please tell me and I will do my best.~

Edited by: Kalina Merenwen  at: 9/26/03 1:54

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 27 September 2003, 17:13:00 »

Never ever ever will I play a god character. They are no fun...no fun at all. (*zap* oops! didn't mean to kill 'em.) Like I said. No FUN!

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]