Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Was told to bring this up  (Read 3883 times)
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 32

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« on: 27 August 2003, 16:14:00 »

Okay....to start out with...I am a singer. Not important but my goal is to become a Namer. I was told that this does not exist yet but I was to bring it up and what not. It is difficult to explain really because it has so many variations and abilities, none of which are all-powerful. It all depends on the character. I explained it a bit in my CD but to some it was not really clear.

A Namer has a special ability. All namers start out as singers, that is how they commanding power. In a song or a statement. It can be done purposely or by accident. The Namers power is not something to throw around. It has to have honorable intentions or it will be corrupted. Lies are a Namers downfall. IF they lie...they automatically lose their abilty.

A Namers ability enables them to rename someone. This renaming thing has brought up a bit of a controversy on what its limits are. The renaming consists of emotional and mental changes. The person becomes their name in a sense. Example: Achmed the Snake. His body, when coming in contact with the cold, will slow down much like a reptile's body would. Also, she can give commands in riddle like fashion kinda. More like commands that happen as they are spoken literally. Example: "I wish you to have non-stop diarreaha and that your death is slow and painful." The person will be in constant pain and have non-stop runs. (Yuck) and wil die a slow and painful death.Simple as that. In a song, it is long and intricate. Words must be choosen carefully because one word can make a world of difference.

I hope i didn't confuse anyone too much. Please ask questions. It will make the explanation a whole lot easier. Thank You

It is better to light a candle than curse the dark

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Draconic Development Schedule
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 117

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 27 August 2003, 20:05:00 »

It's really an interesting kind of magic, and one that I think might fit in well with Santharia. I'm sure there are also a lot of other tribal magics out there that might be similar to this. It would be nice if I could, sometime or another, get up with you and talk about this. It really seems like a fun project, and I'd love to have your help!

The main thing I'm interested in covering is how this work. I think we might be able to kind of use the belief system in here, but I might be able to base it losely on the concept of magic and the chaos theory. However, there are a few things that I might have to work with more to make sure things are smoothed out.

I talked to rti about this a while ago and I think he was interested in the idea, but I think right now he and I would really like to get a lot of the other magic systems up. However, it's still something worth discussing and spending time with.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 27 August 2003, 20:10:00 »

I would love to have a discussion on it. It would help to get all the aspects of it in. I can't wait to start playing it out! :rollin    

Insanity is only a perception made by those who have yet to attain its greatness. While those of us who have already stepped inside its bounds find bliss in our utter madness.
Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 157

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 August 2003, 02:52:00 »

Arti said we had to wait a bit, but actually this is similar to a system we've been working on for Aeruillin. Remember the Nakashi song that turned out to be terrible? one of the first attempts...

In Aeruillin people with this talent are directly accepted to the Lady of Light's temple, and trained there on how to use their voice and vocabulary most efficiently and with pure intentions. For the nomadic tribes of the desert, this may seem like another type of clerical magic, but in fact, what the temple does is gathering recruits who already have the skill and putting them use for the temple. Clerics already use the normal system.

I am also working on a myth to accompany the subject: (this is not the stlye the myth will be written in, just some points)

Nakashi's temple is a miracle itself - for poor continent such as Aeruillin, building a majestic temple out of white marble with a grand golden statue in the middle, with streams running through the temple (to be intersected in and around the statue in  the middle of the temple -still to be decided)... It is said that this was the first time the followers Nakashi discovered the mystical powers of the Voice. A commission that consisted of 6 highly esteemed priests and the High Priestess was sent to seal the deal made with the Sarvonian merchants (still to be decided who). When the merchants changed the price the day before the commission came (the temple had already begun gathering the artisans and all that... and they thought the marble was already on its way - to arrive a day after their return) and told them that Sarvonia had not sent the materials ten days ago - as it was promised - the High Priestess was utterly shocked and dismayed (not angry - the training). All she could think of was (instead of cursing the man) a prayer often recited (sang as an aria along with the traditional instruments of the desert - wren and i are working on the melody - probably a sad oriental song)  on the morning ceremonies of Spring, said to soften the soul of a man and guide him towards purer deeds... The merchants were so touched by the lyrics and the music that they agreed to lower the price (even further than the first one) and offered to assist the construction with their own resources.

so --- origins of naming --- a power bestowed by Nakashi (how true no one knows) --- that doesn't in fact require 'worshipping her' only following her ideals : purity, honesty, love

How about this? I'm so sorry for the terrible entry, i feel a bit dizzy today

"Everything should be as simple as possible and not simpler." Albert Einstein

"Is he allowed to do that?"
"I think that comes under the rule of Quia Ego Sic Dico."
"Yes, what does that mean?"
"'Because I say so', I think."
"That doesn't sound like much of a rule!"
"Actually, it's the only one he needs." (Making Money by Terry Pratchett)
Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 August 2003, 16:24:00 »

That's clerical, Coren: gaining powers from a God or Goddess. That's not exactly what we're dealing with here.

"There is much misjudgment in the world. Now, I knew you for a unicorn when I first saw you, and I know that I am your friend. Yet you take me for a clown, or a clod, or a betrayer, and so I must be if you see me so. The magic on you is only magic and will vanish as soon as you are free, but the enchantment of error that you put on me I must wear forever in your eyes. We are not always what we seem..." -Schmendrick the Magician, The Last Unicorn
Arancaytar Ilyaran

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 28 August 2003, 16:41:00 »

The idea of music (ie. a creative force) having actual, real power is a fascinating one imho. Creativity is after all what we use to create this world. That might make some nicely confusing metaphysical theories about the creation of Caelereth (the mythological one), and certain people being capable of moulding this fabric to their needs; another form of magic...

You can tell I wrote this bull at 1 AM local time, eh?

Arancaytar Ilyaran

"When you start quoting yourself, it's a sure sign of senility" Arancaytar Ilyaran

Rayne (Alýr)
Dreamress
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 August 2003, 19:22:00 »

That's Raw Magic, Arancaytar. Only weavers have the power to do that. They're extremely powerful.

Fox
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 48

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 August 2003, 22:09:00 »

I can definately see this as a belief system way of magic. Since I'm not one to believe in the fact of the Santharian gods giving powers to their believers, I'm of the Ximaxian stand-point, and so I don't believe this would be different than clerical at all in its effects(other than clerics saying they get power from their gods, namers getting it from their songs), it in all simplicity means that the concentrating of the mind to such an extent will cause a change in the dream. Clerics using prayers and such to help concentrate, these 'Namers' using their songs to help them concentrate. Though in reality they would just be doing the same ol' thing.

:)

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 August 2003, 02:00:00 »

hmm... guess you're right. what about this: The Temple of Nakashi would of course claim that it is a power bestowed by their Goddess, but in fact they have no idea how Naming works or how it is passed on. BAsically they are just faking to know, but are such good actors that they ended up believing their own crap.

?

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 02 September 2003, 20:16:00 »

I never really understood all this "god" stuff, (maybe i am just arrogant but anyway) Magic usually isn't my section so wahtever you guys are talking about is just kinda going over my little head. I figured that this Naming thing didn't seem to complicated when i first heard of it so i thought i would try it out.

I know you are trying to place it in a category but...i don't know. I find whatever you are talking about fascinating. Maybe I should try to go researching again. That might help me...just a little maybe. :D  Oh well, as i said, "complicated" magic is...in my case...not fun. Not yet at least.

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2003, 17:32:00 »

I just finished my CD and was just wondering if you guys have come to a conclusion yet???? Just an update.

::Begins skipping about the room chanting:: DONE!!! DONE!!!!
heehee

Coren FrozenZephyr
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 September 2003, 11:22:00 »

Well, Kalina, you could always use your character the way it is now. (congrats by the way ;)  ) and update the history section once this is sorted out. (which would likely take a long while becuase rayne, amuwen, artemis is away... and I have very little time due to a term work in Chemistry Applications Exam 4&5)

Kalína Dalá'isyrás
Santh. Member

Dalá'isyrás

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 24 September 2003, 18:45:00 »

Good luck with chem Coren. I guess I can play her as is and just weave in the part of the naming and such. Will do. :thumbup  Thanks again.

Stefen Lannex

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 September 2003, 19:07:00 »

Isn't there something similar to this "Namer" ability in the Dune novels (Frank Herbert) called "The Voice" or something simlar?  I'm not accusing plagerism it just reminded me of it.

Viresse
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 September 2003, 21:16:00 »

Yea.
Using the sound of the voice and channeling their power, (incuding other powers, it was called the Weirding) the bene jeserit (sp.?) women can command people to do things, whether they want to or not.
When amplified and attached to a weapon, the sound becomes much stronger. And as opposed to the weirding, individuals who were not trained had to find the one word that channelled their strength.
Paul Atreidies ( or mua'dib) was the only male child of ANY bene jeserit woman. It was believed they could not give birth to boys.
*shakes head*
Sorry.
Anyway.
I think the singing is almost like Sirens. I personally believe it could be of the Fae (making it clerical and near boundless in some cases) Or of the Weavers.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Caelereth Administrator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]