Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Isilhir's Iceelf & Dragon  (Read 2423 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 04 August 2004, 12:20:00 »

Isilhir has been busy lately with drawing the following 2 pictures, both of them are excellent :clap  - though we can only use the dragon picture partly. This is because the dragon is directly out of the Swedish RPG Drakar och Demoner, and to avoid problems in this respect, we won't use the dragon itself here.

However, we'll get closeups from e.g. the mushroom at the bottom left and of the forest part at the top right, so that we might add it to a forest entry. I've talked with Isilhir about the portrait, and we plan to use it for the ice elves at the topmost peninsula of the Sarvonian continent, here the celtic knots might also fit pretty well. We also have some more mushrooms at this picture:)  - If someone would like to use the mushrooms or the forest part at an entry, just let me know!

Here are the pictures...

(Click on images to enlarge)

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2004, 22:30:00 »

Well, the lower picture obviously shows a nice northern version of Shelfung, aka Squillae :D   - and the guy in the background isn't bad either.... :p     Wonderful work, Isilhir, and I really like the knot detailing on the sleeve and the brooding eyes!

Actually, I've been thinking that I need to make an entry for Sarvonian Hops (or something similar) because otherwise...
:speechless  WE CAN'T HAVE BEER! :speechless

Obviously this is not acceptable, so I need to write a 'hops' entry.  Isilhir probably meant the vegetation behind the Shelfung, beside the sword, to be frost-kissed leaves, but it would also 'read' nicely as a pinkish version of hops.  

Pretty pretty please?  Of course we can also use the picture for a People or a Library entry as well...

Regards from the had-to-extend-her-flight-back-by-two-days-bard,
Judith

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2004, 02:14:00 »

Hops, Judith? But it looks very different, and the red leaves on the pic wouldn't fit for an hops entry, I think. Just wondered, because I passed our hops growing region last sunday.

Nice pics, Ishilir!
But may I say what I like best? - Not the dragon, but the trees and these boulders with moss on them, they look so fantastic! (Well, we know already, that you can draw dragons!)

The only problem I have with the dragon pic - I need quite a lot of time to figure out how and why the persons are standing where they stand, how the whole arangement is meant to be.

Oh..I'm still tired and have problems with my English

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2004, 13:03:00 »

Uhmmm... Hops? I also don't see hops at the portrait picture, and if so not enough anyway... - But we could for sure use the mushrooms and add them to the shelfung entry, stating that it's a Northern Sarvonian variety or something...

And I totally agree with Talia at her statement concerning the moss, rocks and the trees - this part of the picture alone is already breathtaking, very atmosopheric and a masterpiece in itself! :thumbup

I wonder if we already have an entry for this kind of moss... How about Silken? Would that fit?

Oh, and concerning the position of the part: The elf in front perhaps indeed looks a bit forlorn, it's not clear in what direction the spell is cast or at whom.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Eshoh Kryvvlen
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2004, 13:27:00 »

Ah, how much do I hate Isilhir? :biggrin

I say that with all the love I can. :smile

Still.. I have the first as my desktop. Because it inspires me deeply... the insane details punch me in the face.  LOL - "Shining Hands!"  

treading the shoreline, i heard your name...

Isilhir
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2004, 07:50:00 »

As always, thanks for the praise:)  

Concerning the positions: The elf and the dwarf are supposed to be suprised and in the process of turning around, hence the somewhat offset positions.. if you look at the elf, her hair and cloak are flaring in a way that indicates she is hastely turning her body(this is much easier seen in the original - the scanner *never* do the original justice;)  ). But is there anything that says she is casting the spell AT anyone? Perhaps it's a self-affecting spell, perhaps and envoirmental-affecting spell, who knows. I just added the 'magic glow' to show that she has mystic powers. Naturaly her reflexes make the hand turn into the direction of the dragon, but her hand is faster than her head in this respect;)  
It's always hard to get the exact image you want... I experimented a long time with their poses until I finally got the ones I wanted.. i wanted to both show her face and the dwarf's beard and decided to let them be suprised, opposed from the other two party members who are obviously closer to the dragon and thus more anticipating. Sometimes you have to compromise away logics to get the desired result;)  

Actually the celtic knot is from a norse knotwork design... then again, these two styles are sometimes very similar;)  

I probably won't get much work done for some time now, as the long, long, LONG-awaited 3rd installement of the legendary Doom series has entered the video gaming world, so for my part, the only painting i'll be doing for the next few weeks is in demon blood on cold, metal walls...:evil  

Enough ranting, here's the greenery pics:

------------------
In wilderness is the preservation of the world...
So seek the wolf in thyself.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 8/5/04 16:35
Isilhir
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2004, 07:56:00 »

Ezboard is freaking out.. I can't show the pics.. I've uploaded a pic of the forest and a 'zoomed' version of the mushrooms, and I linked them like you always do with pics, but they won't show up in the post. What's going on?

I can't edit my post either!:veryconfused  

------------------
In wilderness is the preservation of the world...
So seek the wolf in thyself.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 August 2004, 08:35:00 »

You had some data garbage within the image link, it now seems to work.

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2004, 08:36:00 »

Just fixed it:)  

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 06 August 2004, 16:22:00 »

What a great set of pictures!  I love the greenery too.   Whereabouts in Santharia are the pictures located?

Another picture for my entry?  :worship   I feel special ! :D

Good point, Bard, hops are a necessity if we want beer (and we do!)

Got to run, more later,

Alysse the Likely

Alysse the Likely
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 07 August 2004, 06:54:00 »

Well, actually we don't need hops to make something which gives us a drink which is as good as beer - here we really could let our imagination flow and invent something NEW. (And if we just go away from our european/american/western culture and look elsewhere to get some ideas.)

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 09 August 2004, 01:01:00 »

Talia, you must be tired!  :jawdrop  You are contradicting yourself... :hug  (hugs her)

First you say the picture doesn't look anything like our hops and then you say we shouldn't make an entry too close to Terran hops anyhow! :crazy

Actually, I think we agree on this.  I just want to make an entry for a plant which is used in making and flavoring beer in the same way as hops are used on Earth, and I liked the look of the reddish, oval leaves in Isilhir's picture.

Ok with everyone so far?  Other comments / ideas?

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 09 August 2004, 12:54:00 »

Yeah, a special plant in order to produce unique Santharian drinks/beer would be appreciated of course. The more Santhariarized the better:)  Though there isn't enough of the plant visible on Isilhir's picture to go with an entry yet.

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1085
Latest: kmshltns01
Stats
Total Posts: 144683
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 77
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 80
Total: 80

Last 10 Shouts:
22 February 2019, 06:47:10
A delightful 2019 shout-out to you all ^^
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!