Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: Faugar's Ashmari  (Read 3200 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 22 July 2004, 04:50:00 »

Here's a first sketch of the Northern Sarvonian forest background Faugar made for the picture for Drogo's ashmari barbarian.

Note: Faugar couldnt find any descriptions for the thorny black tree Drogo mentioned, but the other plantlife is here. - Maybe Drogo can make some specification here regarding the thorny bush.

I like the sketch:D   Looks very interesting, old and powerful:)  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 8/4/04 21:25

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 22 July 2004, 08:03:00 »

Maybe it is the arne_pheran_tree

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Drogo
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 July 2004, 21:30:00 »

yep, the entry mentions a twisted variety in the Hovel Frond Forest.  Sorry for not clarifying it all.  Good job on figuring it out Talia, you deserve a cookie and a ribbon!  

Faugar it is looking good for a forest background, I can't wait to see the finished product.  For a Hovel Frond pic it would have to look creepier, hanging moss, twisted branches, etc.  ya know?  Also the exposed roots, should maybe be a little further apart and more off of the ground.  They seem squished right now.

Dirg'mystrume of the Helvet'ine Kuglim.  
Lord of the North

Edited by: Drogo at: 7/22/04 5:44
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2004, 13:52:00 »

Here's Faugar's already pretty finished version of the Ashmari, the barbarian of the North...

Statement from Faugar: The background is finished, and the barbarian too - except of course for the tatoos. The blackmoss on the thorny Anean tree to the left, the nightshimmer vine on the Urban tree to the right, and a young one to the left also, and the Euwen trees in the background. Thorny bushes seemed somehow inappropriate here - those remind me more of a desert areas, and when reading the description for the Euwen tree forest, it said all that was on the ground was just moss.

I saw the previous version as well and I think the lighting is now a bit too dark (while the previous one was too light), so just tone it down a bit, I'd suggest. In general the picture looks very fine now, also the size of the barbarian was adjusted, this looks ok to me now... :D  Nice setting and pose, very well done Faugar! :nod

Though it will e.g. be impossible for me to zoom in on the blackmoss and get a Herbarium entry out of that part. Or the Anean Tree, which is the one to the utter left, right? (hmmm... why can't I find that one in the Herbarium?) The details on the moss are also problematic for a zoom in on it. But well, we can't have it all, eh? Urban Tree and Nightshimmer vine surely are well visible and usable at own entries.

So we'd basically still need some tatoo design proposals from Drogo to make the picture complete. I already wrote him a mail yesterday about the tatoos, but he seems busy these days. Well, we'll see.

(click image to enlarge)

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Dala Valannia
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 3

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2004, 18:37:00 »

What?! No mushrooms?! :lol

Looks great as usual, Faugar :worship  The picture shows up rather dark on my screen though, but maybe it's my computer!  

Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 06 August 2004, 04:03:00 »

yeah, I have to lighten it a bit.
WHy isnt it possible to use this pic for the entry for the moss Arti? I know its not a botanical anatomy pic of the moss, but I thought it could be used.

which remionds me - I had this idea for a book picture, where we could draw the book, and then on the left the pics for the plants,armor/stuff, and on the right page there could be text/description. could be used with a scroll bar even. As a presentation for the compendium, you know? To make it all look like its all in one nice book? that would mean "pen" sketches/drawing, rather then illustrations for most part, tho color would be possible :)

let me know what you think

Only         when you awake, will you know you fell asleep..          

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 06 August 2004, 04:52:00 »

Well, concerning the moss - the problem is the level of detail. Take a look e.g. at Isilhir's latest dragon picture - he has moss there as well, see here, on the left. This is easily recognizeable and a crop from there is pretty easy - an enlarged version is no problem either.

I tried for example to make a crop from the Dalferina flower in several sizes from the hobbit picture, but it doesn't look good enough zoomed in - the lack of details shows to clearly. I couldn't display an enlarged version either here. That's why e.g. at some pictures I only used the small pictures and didn't add an enlarged version as long as they still look ok to display. It's just a different approach on drawing the pictures - you made complete pictures with characters and full backgrounds, and at certain parts the details are a bit reduced of course, that's quite natural. Quellion took much longer for the Tandala background as he had planned the higher amount of details, though we will need to reuse backgrounds (as you could already see at the Brownie picture - this is an already existing background). So yeah, whenever possible I try to use the picture parts, but here and there I'd need a tad more - maybe e.g. at the Dalferina some more details could still be added with some grass being drawn more clearly, otherwise you see the brush strokes too strong if we use a full zoom-in.

Book idea: Well, that's not as easy as it sounds. First of all I don't know precisely how you'd see the navigation - would you still use ths scroll on the right for example and just have the entries displayed in the book? - On the other hand you need to be aware that screen resolution is a major problem. There's a reason for example why the cookery book opens in a new window, as I then have the exact measurements. If we'd display a book in the mainframe this also reduces space, and the resizing needs to work so that the backgrounds of the border parts and the book backgrounds still look ok when resizing. All very tricky. We have made some things with a similar principle though, see e.g. the Mira'Shijm runes (this page looks a bit out of date now, though, but the principle would be the same). - Also what this page shows is that it doesn't really fit too well to the design of the rest of the site - and if we have a Herbarium for example this why, other sections look different, so there's a bigger problem.

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 06 August 2004, 04:53:00 »

I had some similar thoughts concerning the armory but it still a terrible lot of work, maybe worth it?

A friend from university did this website a month ago in such a style as his final presentation for a website project there. Not much content ;)    but you might get the idea. Navigation works via the upper right corner of the book, well he did it only two to three days:

www.fh-augsburg.de/~krix/scribbles1.htm

The thing would be probably really to gear the content for such a presentation to be manageable. I doubt the whole Compendium would fit into that but maybe a summary of it for rpg-gamers., don't know...

Great picture of a beardy, naked man, indeed, if not a bit dark but maybe it's better that way for my little psyche! ;)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Edited by: Koldar Mondrakken at: 8/5/04 12:55
Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 06 August 2004, 10:59:00 »

:noidea  @ Koldar's remark about his psyche not being able to handle a picture of a hairy naked barbarian.

@ Arti - I see. just one question - what do you mean by "zooming in"? Is that cropping the image from the original 1400x2000 pixrls one, or enlarging it still?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 06 August 2004, 12:11:00 »

Well, I just meant to use a crop of the picture where you can see e.g. the plant as good as possible. I don't enlarge the crop further, though. The complete pictures are usually drawn in in much larger size, so when you reduce the size to standard Santharian format they look perfect. However, when you show only a part of the picture without diminishing its size, then of course the detail level would also need to be a bit higher, so that it comes across perfectly. Here and there this problem isn't that obvious, but e.g. at the Alinfa (or here at the moss) a crop used directly at the entry would look too rough - know what I mean?

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 06 August 2004, 16:49:00 »

It does need to be a little lighter.  MY pysche doesn't have any problems with hairy naked barbarians, no indeed!:D  

Nice muscle definition on the guy, very Conan. If you'd made him blond,  it could be Drogo himself! :lol  

Alysse the Likely

Edited by: Alysse theLikely at: 8/6/04 0:54

Alysse the Likely
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 August 2004, 18:16:00 »

I'm sorry, i should have been more precise. He simply reminds me of the guy I always see in the mirror with his hairy legs and stuff. ;)  

Koldar Mondrakken, Knight of the Moonlight

Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 07 August 2004, 03:20:00 »

:lol
:rollin

now I get it.. yeah... well - you have to remember - when an artist paints/draws something, there is ALWAYS a bit of him/her in his/her work.. ;)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2004, 04:25:00 »

Maybe you've grown a full beard now while doing this picture, Faugar, eh? :lol  

Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2004, 06:00:00 »

well, yeah, I have a beard, whoch is of corse something Dala loathes with all her heart, so I'm not sure I'd be able to attend next year. Think of the savings tho! no shaving soap, and all those crappy one use razor blades to buy, and the time saved!... Ah.. if we still were living in the good old times when looks didnt matter and people could be artists for real.. sigh. :b  

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[21 November 2018, 23:36:48]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]

[15 March 2017, 02:17:52]

[14 March 2017, 20:23:43]

[06 February 2017, 04:53:35]

[31 January 2017, 08:45:52]

[15 December 2016, 15:50:49]

[26 November 2016, 23:16:38]

[27 October 2016, 07:42:01]

[27 September 2016, 18:51:05]

[11 September 2016, 23:17:33]

[11 September 2016, 23:15:27]

[11 September 2016, 22:58:56]

[03 September 2016, 22:22:23]
Members
Total Members: 1076
Latest: laurfnlys01
Stats
Total Posts: 144682
Total Topics: 11053
Online Today: 115
Online Ever: 226
(06 November 2012, 05:38:23)
Users Online
Users: 0
Guests: 99
Total: 99

Last 10 Shouts:
21 November 2018, 23:39:14
Seems none of us can stay away ..
09 March 2018, 23:37:46
Dream goes on as long as there are dreamers my friend.
17 January 2018, 01:23:22
Oh, how I wish we could reawaken the Dream :)
16 January 2018, 11:55:48
Hello everyone!
14 September 2017, 09:40:04
Hello all! It's been a minute since I poked my nose in here. Can't remember if I ever did anything useful.
09 May 2017, 14:17:18
Ah, too bad that internet is so restricted in China, Ferra. Can't be much fun surfing the web that way if Big Brother's watching you... Hope you enjoy your stay nevertheless!
03 May 2017, 17:41:19
Hi, dear Arti and other developers!

This year I am in China and cannot use any Google services including YouTube. For this reason I stopped uploading new Nepris videos. I can also not read any comments there.

It just crossed my mind that this information might be useful to you.

Cheers

F
26 March 2017, 12:48:56
Hello to anyone that might read this. :)
22 December 2016, 02:38:16
Merry Christmas everyone!
29 November 2016, 01:45:48
Hey all!