Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: 2 more Faugar pictures: Racial Clamor & Archer Recruiter  (Read 6410 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 04 August 2005, 13:57:00 »

During our Skype discussion today we discovered that there are 2 more pictures Faugar made for Mystical Empires, which we haven't posted so far. - Actually these pictures were commissioned to Quellion and Faugar at the same time (long live chaos!) like the Ram picture, but anyway, no problem for us - now we have 2 more pictures to integrate... - Wooohooo!

(click on images to enlarge)

Racial Clamor

Archer Recruiter

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 8/3/05 22:01

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 04 August 2005, 15:26:00 »

Great pics as always!

Isn't it boring not to get some more critics, Faugar??

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Faugar
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 108

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 05 August 2005, 03:57:00 »

well, it WOULD be nice ;)
I am not happy with either of those pics btw.

On a more positive note - I made some sketches yesterday, and will email them to Art today :)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 05 August 2005, 04:31:00 »

Don't really see why you're not happy with these pictures as I already said yesterday, Faugar. You see a lot of character in these faces - and the intention is perfectly executed methinks;)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 05 August 2005, 07:13:00 »

well, lets forget them. I got new stuff :)    

here are the 3 sketches/roughs.:

Avennorian

I layed down some basic colors for the background. The character clothes are still undeveloped  - I'll have to read the description again, and of course - await YOUR input too! Lorehaven town/port in the background.

Centoraurian

this one is very sketchy - I need to look  for horse picture reference (should be easy now, with all the Santhmoot photos :)     ). THe city of Milkengrad (I believe, dont pin me on the spelling, I'm bad with names) with the Golden bridge in the background.

Ylfferhim

The elf - I'm not sure about the composition here, and will have to read the rodent entry again, but I like the sketch sofar. I thought maybe the stone wall behind them could be made of this vulcanic glass, and through the porch you could see the city.

ANy comments/suggestions most welcome!

Edited by: Faugar at: 8/4/05 15:16
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 05 August 2005, 13:39:00 »

Ok, I've done my homework now and sent mails to Curgan and Wren, and one to Eratin as well, checking on his progress with the Kuglimz picture.

So back to the three sketches here:

- Avennorian
Scenery looks very good, though I would move the tower pretty close to the cliff - lighthouses usually aren't as far as that inland. Then you can also show some more houses of the town, maybe some have a storey.

The whole scene with the ships looks very idyllic - maybe a few barrels, crates and goods could lie around here and there?

The guy is also very good, the proportions also look quite Avennorian to me, important would be to add more signs of wealth in the final version, e.g. golden buttons, embroidery here and there, even the shows could show some extravaganzas. Take a look at the noblemen from the Landshut wedding to get some insipration on what stuff he could be wearing. - Hey, maybe he could even wear a fancy hat, like the captains of this time used to wear?

A few birds, gulls for example, could be seen in the sky at the background above our merchant?

Which leaves us a still pretty large area on the bottom left. Guess it's not necessary to fill it up with something larger, even though the space would be there - perhaps a few stones and some plants/flowers growing here and there? - Ideas, proposals anyone?

- Centoraurian
Here we have to wait mainly for Curgan's input, I would say that the Golden Bridge is too small right now and you'd need to see these mentioned statues somewhere, but the rest looks pretty cool.

The horse needs some work at the head part, but yeah, it's still a sketch.

To the right of the guy we'd also have some space, perhaps we could put in a bush here - proposals anyone?

- Ylfferhim
This looks absolutely marvelous, Faugar! :loveeyes   Great pose, composition and extremely cute Quallian sys'nean - and if you add even more to the background as you proposed (glass and town), this will be a really breathtaking picture!

Maybe some more branches could also be added on top to the left and to the right, another little bird sitting on one of them?

What I especially miss at the current version is tail #2 at our little critter - that's actually his name: "two-tails". But everything else is extremely cool on this picture!

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 8/4/05 21:43

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 05 August 2005, 15:19:00 »

Ohhhh Faugar, those sketches are so cool! The elf with the rodent is  astounding and I adore her, but the Avennorian guy gave me really a laugh! He has so much character, Especially when it looks like he is standing so proud in underwear there! :lol  

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 05 August 2005, 15:35:00 »

:lol

yeah, one can hardly look dignified wearing tights!

Glad you like them, thanks for the input! I didnt realize it was a lighthouse.

As for the details - I'll see what I can do, though everything will be very tiny. Good idea about the birds btw. Clothing was undefined yet, so I will work on it. The space he is standing on, is a rocky path. I don't think there is need to add anything there, but some small flowers/plants could be good.

The rodent - i only breifly glanced at the description before I drew this, so I will read it for the final version, and of course, add the second tail!

Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 05 August 2005, 18:02:00 »

(Blinks...drops jaw... gulps.... pouts enviously for a second.... shakes head and smiles at Faugar...)

I love :heart   these 'sketches' - they are masterpieces of character delineation just as they are.  The suggestion of the elven body with just a few lines of shading - oh, I wish I could catch proportion and foreshortening that effortlessly!  

The face - and the pose - on the guy in tights are simply delicious.  He looks complacent and completely unselfconscious despite the 'underwear'!  And I also like the composition - I would not 'clutter' the foreground with too many details btw.  The focus is naturally on his face and then on the harbour.  Perhaps some nice repetitive pebbles in the reddish dirt and a scattering of flat, plantain-like weeds?  I'll look in the Herbarium for something appropriate if you'd like more detail...

And the rider, though the 'sketchiest' of all, has his own charm.  Can't wait to see what unique Faugarisms you'll include there, too.

Bravo and a hug without any jealousy in it - honest!  :hug  

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Alysse the Likely
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 69

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 August 2005, 20:04:00 »

These sketches are lovely!  The elf is absolutely ethereal.

Just one note about the Centaurian--don't use the Santhmoot horse pictures as referents, those horses are much too big and heavy.  Use an Arabian horse picture--you can find lots on the net. Try www.bobboggs.com/photos/Stallions/moroc.jpg, or www.stonewallfarm.com/mares/index.html  for some nice ones.

And I like the guy in his underwear too...actually, this one makes me this of that fairy tale, "The Emperor's New Clothes" :lol  

Alysse the Likely

Alysse the Likely
Lucius Helvil
Aspiring Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 August 2005, 20:35:00 »

Great pictures. Concerning the Centaurian picture. Arti is right the bridge is not big enough.
Quote:
It spreads over hundreds of peds to connect both shores and has a total width of 30 peds. On each end, the bridge is supported by columns that have the form of Curogane and Helronn on Efirhal’s side and Thar and Santhros on the mainland’s. The Blowcrusher Fort embraces the south edge of the Golden Bridge which is its northern gate at the same time.
I hope that provides you with an good discription.

Next is the forts that surround the city. There are seven total that surround the city. One of which guards the golden bridge.

The city itself is large and sprawling. There are many trees, open spaces and squares, it is not densely packed like other cities. There are three sets of walls.
Quote:
The White Walls surround the city three times. The first belt is 10 peds high and 5 wide, the second 20 peds high and 10 wide while the third is 30 peds high and 15 wide.
That should give you a good discription of the walls.

From what I have read, it appears that the palace is the only thing on the hill. While the city sprawls out on the slope around it.
Quote:
The palace (and acropolis) of Milkengrad. It is built upon the Efirhal Hill. Almost each Anactar made his additions to the building. . . . The Curonesta is fortified and equipped to shelter the city’s population in case of siege.
And that should give you a good discription of the palace.

Also note that the river splits, it would split left of the bridge.

Please take a look at the entry on Milkengrad. It has usefull maps and such to help you get a prespective as to where everything is.

I know I am being kind of picky . . . well deal with it. ;)  

Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 06 August 2005, 13:27:00 »

updated version of the Avennorian pic. I mostly reworked the background. still need to finish his clothes. let me know if there are any more changes to be made.

Avennorian2

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 06 August 2005, 13:59:00 »

Just two notes:

- I'd propose to make the tower higher, e.g. add half the size of it again - ships should see the lights from afar, so the higher the better. - Oh, and maybe a fence at the cliff near the lighthouse - we wouldn't want to let people fall down their, right?

- Suggest as well to add more houses along the path you sketched, so that they reach until the harbour. Lorehaven is a larger port, so there should be quite a bunch of houses. The more you add, the more alive it will look:)

Rest is very good so far, Faugar - nice job! :D  

Fluffy Ramblers

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 August 2005, 08:20:00 »

I like the face of the elf girl - it is different from the everyday faces one sees. Not a tolkienish face, but still quite fitting to an elf.

P.S. I have the feeling there's too much foregrund in the first sketch. The town and the ships are squeezed between the cliff and the sky, they could use some more space.

-----
The mouse flies!

Faugar
Santh. Member

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 07 August 2005, 12:04:00 »

damn, Fluffy! you're completely right :)  

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]