Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Daelonn Dialogue by Smith  (Read 3652 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 08 October 2003, 13:36:00 »

Here's the excerpt I promised by Smith, picture included, comments below:

Odd looking Man: An odd looking man is standing near the water, throwing stones over the waves.

He does not seem to be a villager and, actually, he does not seem to be from these parts at all. He is rather tall and pale skinned and he is wearing a large hooded cloak made from a material that you have never seen before. He also looks rather worried but, when he notices you, a smile suddenly covers his face.

"Well, hello there, oh, am I glad to see you, Mister, I am Daelonn and you are... my saviour!"

Artimidor: "Hello, sir... My name is Artimidor, why do you say I am your saviour?"

Odd looking Man: "Well, because you are... at least you will be, right? Of course you will..." he laughs. "Man, you can't possibly imagine how relieved do I feel now that you came with that boat back, I can't swim, you know, so I really was beginning to think that I am going to spend the night here. And these woods surely do not look like the safest place to be in at night... Yeah, yeah, I know, maybe it wasn't really nice from me to try fishing around this holy shrine, but have you ever seen the size of those fish?"

Artimidor: "What were you doing here?"

Daelonn: "Oh, no need to be angry, really... It did occur to me that perhaps fishing near this holy shrine may not be such a good idea, but I learned my lesson now... Yep, I learned it the hard way, man, I thought I was going to spend the night here." He shivers at this thought. "I can't swim, you know, and that boat is the only means to get on the other side of the shore."

Artimidor: "What exactly happened to you?"

Daelonn: "As I was saying I was fishing here and at some point I had to leave the spot for a short trip among those trees..." He clears his throat, somehow embarassed. "Well, anyway, by the time I got back the boat was gone and my fishing net also. So here I am, stuck in the middle of the woods, no fish, no nothing... By the way, you didn't happen to see my fishing net on the other side, did you?"

Artimidor: "Oh, that was yours? Of course, I have it right here!"

Daelonn: "Whoa! Thank you, thank you, you are truly a hero!" Daelonn grabs the fishing net and smiles at you happily.

Artimidor: "Say, you don't seem to be a local..."

Daelonn: "Me? A local?" Daelonn laughs loudly. "No way, no way and not ever! What, do I smell like fish to you? ... Uh, oh, yeah, probably I do... - Anyway, never mind that, I think there is a huge difference between me and this bunch of empty-heads living here!" He clears his throat. "All right... Yes, I am a stranger in these lands, and I come from far far away, from the Continent of Nybelmar. I am a... librarian from the city of Dasans, yes, I think you might say that, a librarian..."

Artimidor: "A 'librarian'? And what are you doing here in the middle of nowhere?"

Daelonn: "I am merely an apprentice and so I must follow the will of my master, Dasmonn. Don't ask me though what is he doing here, he never tells me anything anyway. I saw him gathering all sorts of plants, I don't know, he must be studying something... But you don't look like a local yourself, may I ask what is your story?"

Artimidor: "You're from Nybelmar?"

Daelonn: "That's the continent southwest of Sarvonia, four weeks of travel by sea... We came here with a Santerran diplomatic expedition, though we had nothing to do with them. Good sailors those Santerrans anyway, good sailors... kinda like these Neprisians here." He winks at you, it must be some sort of strange Nybelmarian humour.

Artimidor: Tell Daelonn about the missing Wanya.

Daelonn: Daelonn's smile broadens. "Oh... a missing little girl, is it? Perhaps she's the one that took the boat, hehe... No, I'm just kidding. But now, seriously, I did see a little girl just like you described around up there near the swamps, she ran away when she saw me, though. I never thought I could have such an effect on children..."

Artimidor: "Yeah, I wonder too... With that hood of yours..."

Daelonn: "Yeah, I told you those villagers are just a bunch of empty-heads. Everything they don't know must be dark and evil, necessarily. Scary too... Well I'll tell you this, they are scary, not me." He smiles at you. "But you're different. So wait before you go! I can't just let you leave like this, I owe you a big one, Artimidor. Look, this is a scythar, a very good weapon if you know how to use it. I want you to have it."

As Daelonn unfolds his cloak, to reveal the weapon, you notice that he's wearing a tight black leather jacket shimmering in purple nuances.

Artimidor: "But I really didn't do anything for you..."

Daelonn: "Oh, really, you can have it, I have plenty of those, it's a pretty common weapon from where I come, but here they are very rare. Come on, take a look at it, see how beautiful the workmanship is? It's a real jewel, I'm telling you. Me and Master Dasmonn thought that we can bring several such weapons with us to sell them if we ever are in need, but no one here really appreciates them. I told you they are just a bunch of empty-heads... peasants! I mean look, here, touch it, you see... How can this wonder have no value? How? But you know better than those fish-heads, right? Right... I know you do, I can see it in your eyes..."

Artimidor: "All right, all right, I'll take it, stop talking!"

Daelonn: Daelonn nods to you and hands you the weapon.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 08 October 2003, 15:03:00 »

Ok, here some comments...

Very good work, Smith! :thumbup  Concept, size, use of interactive questions like yes/no, flow of the dialogue etc. were all realized perfectly, I only did some minor adjustments here and there!

The basic thing which is still open and needs to be handled by script is the "saving" of the guy. So actually Daelonn needs to get into the boat and travel with the player to safety. And THEN he will leave, thanking the player, giving him the weapon. Currently I've moved this part a bit up in the dialogue, but that's not final. So there may be some further adjustments in this respect, but this needs to be done at final integration.

What is still missing here are greetings and bye texts. Usually the player can walk away from any dialogue, and we need to have an appropriate bye text, same with greeting, both usually have an unknown/known variety. This guy of course is special, as it is part of the main story, so I assume we won't allow the player to say "Bye" during the dialogue.

In general - excellent work, Smith! More of this:D  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 October 2003, 16:58:00 »

right :number1

the next one will be the second dialogue with Daelonn after the ambush (but we need to decide how many and what... ehem... "monsters"). as soon as we know how the ambush should look like I can start writing on the dialogue.

the problem with saving Daelonn is that Humangus told us a while ago that we cannot remove a character from the player's party, so I guess we can let things like this, leaving the player to assume that Daelonn will go away on his own :confused  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 10 October 2003, 14:38:00 »

Well, we'll need to give them some more detailed thoughts, how to resolve this problem from the technical side... We'll see...

BTW: In order to get to the second part of the game, we of course need to finish the main storyline of the first part... So just in case you'd like to do a dialogue for a barmard, an innkeeper or a smith for example, you'd of course also be invited, as this will bring us closer to the proper integration of Daelonn of course;)  

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2003, 04:39:00 »

A little inconsistency here :

Daelonn (Librarian)

Odd looking Man An odd looking man is standing near the water, throwing stones over the waves.

He does not seem to be a villager and, actually, he does not seem to be from these parts at all. He is rather tall and pale skinned and he is wearing a large hooded cloak made from a material that you have never seen before. He also looks rather worried but, when he notices you, a smile suddenly covers his face.

"Well, hello there, oh, am I glad to see you, Mister, I am Daelonn and you are... my saviour!"

Artimidor "Hello, sir... My name is Artimidor, why do you say I am your saviour?"

Odd looking Man "Well, because you are... at least you will be, right? Of course you will..." he laughs. "Man, you can't possibly imagine how relieved do I feel now that you came with that boat back, I can't swim, you know, so I really was beginning to think that I am going to spend the night here. And these woods surely do not look like the safest place to be in at night... Yeah, yeah, I know, maybe it wasn't really nice from me to try fishing around this holy shrine, but have you ever seen the size of those fish?"

Artimidor "What were you doing here?"

Daelonn "Oh, no need to be angry, really... It did occur to me that perhaps fishing near this holy shrine may not be such a good idea, but I learned my lesson now... Yep, I learned it the hard way, man, I thought I was going to spend the night here." He shivers at this thought. "I can't swim, you know, and that boat is the only means to get on the other side of the shore."

Artimidor "What exactly happened to you?"

Daelonn "As I was saying I was fishing here and at some point I had to leave the spot for a short trip among those trees..." He clears his throat, somehow embarassed. "Well, anyway, by the time I got back the boat was gone and my fishing net also. So here I am, stuck in the middle of the woods, no fish, no nothing... By the way, you didn't happen to see my fishing net on the other side, did you?"

I assume, this guy is on the sandbank, otherwise there is no place surrounded by water. but on the sandbank are NO trees, just some trunks lying around , leftovers from the last flooding, no „woods“ here definately if you don‘t refer to the trees on the other side of the sandbank.

Artimidor "Oh, that was yours? Of course, I have it right here!"

Daelonn "Whoa! Thank you, thank you, you are truly a hero!" Daelonn grabs the fishing net and smiles at you happily.

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Humangus

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2003, 10:50:00 »

Quote:
the problem with saving Daelonn is that Humangus told us a while ago that we cannot remove a character from the player's party, so I guess we can let things like this, leaving the player to assume that Daelonn will go away on his own

Well, if the player must save Daelon there is no need for things to happen exactly like that. Daelon joins player - They travel together - Daelon leaves party. I mean, that's the idea that the player will get, but both the player and Daelon (and the boat ) could simply be transported to the other side (after the player agrees to help him if there is such an option) and the dialogue will continue from that point.

The way that things happen does not have to be reflected 100% in the game. A text describing what has happend is enough for most of the times.

www.legendarytales.com

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2003, 14:41:00 »

Yup, I guess we could as well handle it that way that the player says, "Ok, I'll get you out here!" in the dialogue, and the text describes how both, player and Daelonn move back to the shore with the boat, and then the dialogue continues. So the player will just end up in another location then.

We'll also work on the issue Talia mentioned, but we're not yet ready to implement the Daelonn dialogue in the game - we need to get the things for the first part done for now, then we'll see about Daelonn problem;)  

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2003, 16:19:00 »

right :)   @Humangus: I should have thought about this possibility :)  

about the trees, well, the word may be replaced with "bushes" or whatever hiding place the guy saw as good for his "physiological needs"...

the "woods"... I used the word as a general reference, would you prefer "wilderness" instead?

Edited by: Smith in Exile at: 10/17/03 0:24
Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]