Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: More RPG music coming hopefully...  (Read 4151 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 14 July 2003, 00:09:00 »

See the Ralrok thread. I hope Ralrok has some ambience music for cellar and cave descending occasions... They would fit right in:D  

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 14 July 2003, 11:17:00 »

Just got a mail back from Ralrok... He is happy to work on some eerie ambience music and will try to come up with something asap.

BTW: I've also ask Ralrok about sound effects from his library... He has practially everything... thousands of soundeffects which could be used in a game.

So whether we need creaking doors, laughter, rustling chains, fighting knights, busy taverns, bubbling lava, screams, creatures sounds... - just pose your request and Ralrok will search for some interesting sounds in his library and mail them to us to include them...

Which of course will also need full support from the LT program itself:

a) Once we have more background musics LT needs to be capable to fade out a music and then to start the new one - at a position in the game defined by a player move/action.

b) If we have background music and sound effects, LT needs to be capable of playing them both at the same time.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 7/13/03 19:18

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Humangus

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 14 July 2003, 15:20:00 »

a) Difficult to impossible

b) This is already possible as long as the music is in .mp3 or .mid format and the sound effects in .wav format.

Quote:
The great successful men of the world have used their imaginations. They think ahead and create their mental picture, and they go to work materializing that picture in all its details, filling in here, adding a little there, altering this bit and that bit, but steadily building, steadily building.

-Robert Collier

www.legendarytales.com

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 15 July 2003, 13:07:00 »

Ralrok already mailed me some sounds and I did a search on the web and found various free-to-use sounds I already downloaded, which would fit in perfectly. So it's not a question of not finding something good here.

But actually, I'm astoundished that a) and b) - things which would be quite simple to do with the help of a control even in lousy VB - are difficult to accomplish in the language we use for LT or would require WAV files...

Cause
1.) all sounds of course come in  MP3 format
2.) a conversion requires time
3.) WAV files are much larger in size than MP3 files

Humangus

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 July 2003, 10:34:00 »

Well, send me the ocx control then ... And any registration codes in case they are needed.

Quote:
The great successful men of the world have used their imaginations. They think ahead and create their mental picture, and they go to work materializing that picture in all its details, filling in here, adding a little there, altering this bit and that bit, but steadily building, steadily building.

-Robert Collier

www.legendarytales.com

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 16 July 2003, 12:07:00 »

Well, Im don't have a proper ocx at hand right now, but if I can find the time I will see if there is a free one which fulfills our requirements. Let's see.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 17 July 2003, 04:09:00 »

Silly question: Ever tried msdxm.oxc? The Microsoft Windows Media player ocx? It works perfectly fine, whether you play movies or mp3 sounds:)   That is if you can use this ocx without any problem with the programming language you're using, Humangus.

We've just tried it out here at the company, and you can do everything with the control, also volume adjusting (=to fade in and out).

Furthermore I could make e.g. a Flash introduction for the game at some point, convert it to MPEG format and we could play it with the Windows Media Player as well:D  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 7/16/03 12:10

Humangus

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 July 2003, 06:07:00 »

I already use a Media Player Component in the program. I don't know if it makes any use of this ocx though but I don't think that you can play two files at the same time with the media player. This is our main concern.

Quote:

-Robert Collier

www.legendarytales.com

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 17 July 2003, 06:08:00 »

We've tried it in Visual Basic and it works. Just place 2 controls on a form and play both:)  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 7/16/03 14:09

Humangus

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 20 August 2003, 06:18:00 »

I 've been doing some searching for Delphi multimedia components. Guess what I 've found. A component which interfaces with DirectX 8.

This simply means

a) We can add any number of channels to play at the same time (mixer capabilities)

b) Each channel can have its own volume setting. We can have for example a background music channel, an ambient channel for eerie stuff and one ore more sound effects channels

c) each channel can fade out without any volume adjustments by a single Fade call to a method.

d) mp3 and wav files are supported by this component only but they should be enough.

OK. I have not integrated the thing yet but I have done a small application with this component so it won't be difficult I think.

By the way, if this is integrated it will be the first text based game ever to require DirectX 8  or later :lol  

www.legendarytales.com

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 20 August 2003, 10:45:00 »

Sounds great:D  This seems exactly what we need, so I hope it gets in in one of the next versions. I'll provide some first sound files for you to play around with in the mail from today along with the rest of the Prosperous Farmhouse cellar;)  

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]