Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Author Topic: Price List  (Read 7158 times)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 29 April 2003, 00:07:00 »

Just for your own good ;)  I'd suggest to make this list as small as possible. Eight entries on grain might be interesting but for now it might be more interesting for e.g. players, how much one bread costs in average?

But maybe I'm running in open doors here anyway. :)  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #16 on: 29 April 2003, 14:53:00 »

(I've moved this thread in here as it is game development related... Ah, need to change the banner as well as I see...)

Well, here's a list of categories Konstantinos defined himself already in his editior concerning item lists. You might find it useful of what things could be of relevance in a game (mainly dealing with player equipment in this case):

- Gems
- Potions
- Armours
- Small Shield
- Medium Shield
- Large Shield
- Bracers
- Gloves
- Gauntlets
- Girdles
- Necklaces
- Robes
- Helmets
- Rings
- Boots

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Bard Judith
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 365

Dwarvenmistress

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #17 on: 29 April 2003, 19:28:00 »

OK, as I said before, this will be a comprehensive 'shopping list' of most major things available in markets that a player, RPG person, or writer/creator might want to refer to.

It will NOT be the list provided for the Legendary Tales Adventure.  That will be a simpler, categorized version, with an emphasis on equipment, adventure items, 'treasures' or items of worth, potions/healing herbs and foodstuffs.

But until we have a general idea of what things cost IN RELATION TO EACH OTHER I can't randomly decide what even a simple loaf of bread will be priced at!  I mean, it takes grain to make the bread, a cart (horse-drawn) to transport the grain, millstones to grind it, bags to put the flour in...

{come on, Judy, you don't need to give an entire history of medieval economics here, just make the point quickly...}:rolleyes

So any comments and help are appreciated. And I will try and focus on 'adventure' stuff, if people can give some sample items they'd like to see described.

Thuja, I've already changed it as requested.  Only gelded Rusiks will be available, if that's ok.  You'll note that I did originally make the price for a breeding stallion a lot higher - in fact, almost prohibitively expensive, because I figured they would want to keep their monopoly - and by the way, that range is not unusual in a DOMESTICATED animal.

I do have some difficulty with specializing wild animals that aren't restricted by accidents or designs of geography (on an island, cut off by a loop of river, only desert-dwelling, barred by a mountain range, etc.) but it's not at all uncommon to find specially bred animals restricted to a certain range.  The Sawis sheep are not allowed to interbreed with the Cuncus, for example, or the black fleeces would surely become recessive and disappear!

"Give me a land of boughs in leaf /  a land of trees that stand; / where trees are fallen there is grief; /  I love no leafless land."   --A.E. Housman

Humangus

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 20 August 2003, 06:09:00 »

Ahhhmmm... What happend to this price list really? Will there be any progress? Not that this is the most important concern right now but still there will be trading of items in the game and it will be good to know the price of some items.

www.legendarytales.com

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #19 on: 20 August 2003, 10:54:00 »

Unfortunately progress can't be planned or scheduled in a voluntary spare time project. I do what I can, but of course would need more support in various aspects. What we have on graphics, room descriptions and dialogues is excellent I think, but there are areas, where there still is not enough progress yet. Anyway, we'll get to it, it's only a matter of time.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Luca the Thief
Scallawag
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 October 2003, 23:21:00 »

And THIS is why I am a thief.....

Oh man...I need sleep. I'm wandering the site posting totally at random...

"I would rather die on my feet than live on my knees"

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #21 on: 01 November 2003, 01:55:00 »

:lol  

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 November 2003, 16:55:00 »

I understand that this price list does not concern only the Nepris project but also the RPG boards (where, I'm sorry to say but I have no competence).

Anyway, I'm not sure which one is more important. If we focus just on the prices in the Nepris project than we should start from two values: how much gold the player has in the beginning and how much a night at the inn cost.

But if we speak in general (and only then to proceed to the Nepris project) than we should start from the following value: what is the average payment per workday/month in the particular region. (usual physical work - farming, fishing, whatever a - "free" - peasant might do in a medieval setting). Consider after that the particular daily diet of peasants and keep in mind that usually the monthly payment should cover that (and, I guess, only that). Then do a little math and you got yourself the price for bread, butter, cheese, fish or whatever. The next items would be the tools. Then, the weapons (how many months a peasant should work to buy a sword?). Clothes... and finally the luxury goods (affordable only by nobles)

Hope this helps...

Also a note: you should think of an easy currency unit, like "a piece of gold", a "gold/silver coin" (a "bag of gold" sounds way too inflationist I think). Of course there are (should be) regions where currency doesn't really exist but instead a free goods exchange is issued - but I think this shouldn't concern us (at least yet). Again, this is if we do not apply the Santharian Currency entry :)  For Nepris I would suggest to either stick to "Sans" (we need an NPC to explain that to the player, if we use more than just one coin version - not very "realistic" indeed, but practical) or just use the general term gold/silver/copper coin. I guess we would prefer the "San" version though :)  

Edited by: Smith in Exile at: 11/1/03 1:42
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #23 on: 06 November 2003, 12:45:00 »

Yes, we will definitely stick to "San" as the currency we'll use in the game. We'll need to keep that simple, because the game itself is getting very complex anyway.

Prices should also be defined as soon as possible of course in general Santharian interest and especially for the Nepris game. There are some medieval wages lists included in a resource book I have, so I assume I'd need to construct it from there. Guess it will be me, as usual... :rolleyes

Prices are especially necessary, because after the laboratory quest near the wizard's house we need to focus on placing more equiment here and there, and allow some special NPCs to sell some things, especially weapons and equipment. Now that we have a quite walkable area in the whole game we need to add more to the role playing part, and this means basically some action plus some equipment to make this action work...

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 06 November 2003, 18:45:00 »

well, if the resource book is in your possesion I too guess that it will be you the one to write the list :nod :b  

Pages: 1 [2]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]