Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: The Mysteries of Nepris RPG (Status Quo of Nov 2nd 2003)  (Read 11346 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 06 May 2003, 11:07:00 »

Required Software
You don't really need the Legendary Tales software to develop, but you should have it to play the game:)                      

If you haven't installed the Legendary Tales programs yet please use the following links to get the program:
July 6th, 2003: Legendary Tales Engine V 1.5 (Setup Program, 2.20 MB)

If you have installed the old version V 1.42 on your computer already and want to upgrade to 1.5, use this patch:
July 6th, 2003: Legendary Tales Engine Patch 1.42 to 1.5  (1.66 MB)

The latest version of our Nepris adventure can be downloaded here:
August 26th, 2003: Nepris Adventure V 0.1 (2.7 MB)

To install any adventure you can see above:
1.) Unzip the file
2.) Open the Legendary Tales Engine
3.) Click Install adventure in the files menu
4.) Select the file
5.) Open Book
6.) Select the adventure you want to play

Development Downloads/Links
November 2nd, 2003:  Nepris Master Rooms, Items and Quests (558 KB): Contains the complete room list which of all rooms which are currently exist integrated in the game (or will show up in the next version)

Room and Quest Definitions thread: Informs you how to build rooms.
Main Beasts List: Informs you about the current beasts and monsters used in the game (including pictures).
Non Playing Characters List: Shows you all characters the player will encounter in the game (portraits, descriptions and starting locations).

Project Manager
- Artimidor

Project Team (in alphabetical order)
- Artimidor (project coordination, main map design, background)
- Bard Judith (rooms & items descriptions)
- Faugar (character pics)
- Humangus (programming)
- Viresse (items descriptions)
- Quellion (character pics)
- Thuja (NPCs, background)
- [...]

(Developers are welcomed of course. If interested, please post at a seperate thread and we'll discuss details)

Intention
This project is about realizing a singleplayer textbased RPG adventure (integration of graphics possible,though) in cooperation with Legendary Tales which provides us with the Legendary Tales engine programmed by Konstantinos.

As it seems Konstantinos (unlike Nate) is very effective in realizing things fast and will respond immediately to problems which occur while things are being integrated in the game Unfortunately he will have to do his military service starting in summer 2003  and won't be available within at least the next 12 months from then on.

However, Konstantinos tries to make things as good as he can till this time, so that it's possible to continue working on the adventure/RPG in cooperation with people who can use his editor already quite well. Konstantinos' program is already more or less finished (at least concerning functionality), design will be changed later to a graphical interface. For now we're trying to see what we can realize with the engine, what quests we can integrate already and so on. And where there are the main problems which still need to be fixed.

Which also means: Ideas and help with descriptions, quest design proposals etc. are always welcomed and extremely helpful at this point of development stage, but everything needs to fit together. The result will also be available for you to download and play in regular intervals.

Aside from further rooms descriptions (I'll need to make a rough map of the complete region first including cave entrances etc.), we'll basically need all this neat stufff which makes an adventure interesting: Things you can manipulate and operate in every possible respect (see e.g. the example adventure: to climb down a well, to move a loose brick to gain access to treasures, etc.)

In general every room can have two kinds of items you can find there:
- you can take these things with you (book, sword, dagger, potion etc.) Usually you can find lots of them throughout the game (a knife can be everywhere)
- or they are part of the room and can't be removed at all (loose brick, painting, table, closet etc.) Many of these items are more or less "unique", or at least the way they work is unique - operating a lever produces only one special result at a special room (e.g. "The door to your right opens with a loud creak." etc.)

So what we'd need additionally to the room descriptions would be such (first type) items we can place somewhere, accompanied with a short description (1-2 sentences) on what you see when you examine it in detail (no big things) and perhaps a price so that you can buy/sell it in a shop. Of course it is prefered to mainly have RPG important items, e.g. torches, swords, shields, books, potions, shovels etc. (so don't spend too much time with details for now which have only little effect for the player)

Second type icons are also very good to add life to a room. You can e.g. examine tables and chests, so we'd need descriptions for items like that. Note that it is of course no problem for the engine to place items in a container. It is also possible for example that the player wants to open a chest when there are several people in the room who can watch that and that the program gives you the message that someone talks to you, stating that you aren't allow to do that.

You can do a lot of funny things in general with the engine as well, for example first time texts when entering a room. E.g. if you enter a hut you could say: "As you enter the hut you notice several cobwebs at the door. You brush them away and step carefully into the room..." (Continue), then the original room description is added. You can create a lot of atmosphere with such neat little things.

Anyway, hope this gives you a rough idea of what's this is all about and help in this respect would be appreciated to intensify the interactive Santharian experience you can generate with the program.

Note that you don't have the write a single line of code or use the editor at all, this will be taken care of by Konstantinos' for now. Let us know if you are interested in participating at least to a small extent in creating such an interactive Santharian experience.

Master Map (Complete Region)
Here's the work in progress room map of the Nepris RPG adventure (use it in combination with the Master Room list!). Click on it to open in full.

Map version of Novermber 2nd, 2003:

a) The legend to the top right tells you if this is a path, a forest or a house, a cave entrance etc.
b) The numbers are unique and help us to identify the rooms. Though I had to make some changes so that you have to walk a bit more in the village (this was definitely necessary as I saw during development).
c) The connections between the rooms tell you from where to where you can go.
d) The circle represents your startpoint in the game (you're coming from the south).
e) If there's an arrow somewhere this means that you can enter a house or a cave in this room. Once you're in this structure you'll move to a new map (even a house is a small map, e.g. with 2 levels or even a cellar).
f) At some points you see little diamond shaped things. This indicates that there's something you can use in this room, e.g. at room 1 that is the sign you can read, or in room 87 this will be a tree where two children have carved a heart into the tree with their initials etc. Everything you can examine is marked this way. In general this refers only to items you can't take away. We'll add other marks for things you can grab.

Additional Maps (Complete Region)

In this section you'll find small versions of the sub-maps (e.g. of houses caves etc.). Click on a small map to open the thread with the details to this map:

The Prosperous Farmhouse

Map version of July 24th, 2003:

Rough main Storyline
- Player is told that a small Nepris girl is missing. Was out playing. Player is meant to search her as people failed to find her.
- Player asks around. An old man remembers a seer, a Baveras worshipper (seeing=transparent time), who died half a century ago who moved away from western Avennoria as people wanted to know their future from him. So he settled in quiet Nepris. He told people a few things he saw. Now an old man remembers his talk about whimperings of a little girl behind a wall (of course all pretty cloaked).
- Player searches notes. Is finally directed to the grave.
- Player hears some noises behind some rocks, which have come loose in the grave, finally reveals the entry to an ancient abandoned dwarven mine of the Mithral dwarves.
- There the player may find some beasts (spiders, bugs etc., a queen perhaps), and finally the girl who managed to hide somewhere.
- Story also leaves space for further findings, e.g. why the tunnel was abandoned.

---

grey ... already completed
orange ... currently being worked on
fuchsia ... things to clarify

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 11/14/03 19:51

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 07 May 2003, 12:34:00 »

Room definitions scheme was completed, see here.

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 07 May 2003, 15:06:00 »

Baveras worshippers are not necessarly seers, only Baveras Wills or Aids(=priests) are able to do it. And they are most times women, men are VERY rare in this business.;-). Is this the person entry Viresse wanted to do?

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Viresse
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 May 2003, 15:34:00 »

Well, she's being made, Talia...
Damari Amisys, in the people section. I had told Arti about Seyellans, and I came up with a plausible concept...
Her youth is posted- I'm working on the rest of her.

*pokey de Viresse at viresse@santharia.com* - Adventures of Caelereth Administrator
The Santharian Dream - Home sweet Home...

Tyrian Jadewalker
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 May 2003, 17:07:00 »

i would be interested in getting in on the programming side of things...but then again i would have to get in contact with him and as of yet i have not seend him visit the forums here...

Tyrian Jadewalker

JSB
« Reply #5 on: 08 May 2003, 04:02:00 »

Well, I'm here, Artimidor. Just waiting for Konstantinos to tell me what to do. Ezboard seems to work moderately well, expect that the inbox looks absolutely horrible and gives me 'Page Not Found' when I try to change settings, and the general shoddy appearance (in my opinion) of Ezboard.

Tyrian, you should look at the Legendary Tales homepage (www.legendarytales.com) if you're interested. There are some details on joining our side in this project in the forum.

JSB, Legendary Tales developer.

Edited by: JSB at: 5/7/03 11:25:52 am
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 08 May 2003, 04:18:00 »

Hello JSB! Short general note: Before you complain, always try to see the positive things first, or I assume you won't really make many friends here. Thanx.

Konstantinos told me he'll appear at the Forum as well, as soon as he has something interesting to post, don't worry. He's currently working on some new features we discussed, which are definitely necessary. He hopes to have them done in the next few days. Until then I'm still trying to organize things here a bit better. Need especially to talkt with Judy about an issue or two.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 08 May 2003, 11:58:00 »

New Nepris Master Rooms (81 KB) was uploaded and the general room map was substituted as well. Note that this general room map combined with the Nepris Master Rooms now shows which rooms can already be integrated (circle around the room number, a bit loosely done at the moment, but we'll see to connect them soon). So this is already something to do for the room integration guys in case you can define together with Konstantionos how integration will work.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #8 on: 08 May 2003, 14:30:00 »

Just to keep you informed: I've discussed details with Judy concerning room building... She's working on rooms 52 till the bridge at 53 and the rooms 29/35 west of the path to the south of the main map while I fix some rooms to the north for intgegration and deal with the eastern rooms at the south, do main storyline concept etc. - Stay tuned...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 11 May 2003, 05:39:00 »

To be expected from my side during the next week: Final rework of the descriptions concerning the main Coastal Road, the few room descriptions to the SE of 58, and a rework/final adjustments on the rooms around the well (17) to the north.

Aside from that the dialogue of the poor fisherman at house 29, Andulf Istherin, will be completed (Judy is working on his wife). And the dialogue of Pinn Derkhan (kid) of room 101, starting a first quest, will be done as well. Programmers then will be able to download an up-to-date master.mdb to take the dialogues from there and integrate them.

I'll also try to work out some sort of quests-scheme so that quests can be documented properly.

To all those who want to do items (e.g. Viresse, JSB?): Please, go ahead, it's about time to start! Just take whatever items you think are necessary in an adventure/RPG game, and start describing (shovel, rope, lantern, torch, health potion of various kinds, and so on...) You don't really need to think about prices yet, just do descriptions please. Note: You can also e.g. add various books to the items collections, which will contain Santharian tales or poems (found in the houses lying around). In this case you'd need to describe how the book looks and what is written in it (mainly a copy & paste job). There are enough possibilities, so just start with what you think is easy and you'd enjoy doing;)  

Where we'll use what items is another story, but first we need to have some basic items.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 5/10/03 12:41:38 pm

Humangus

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 May 2003, 13:59:00 »

If I might add that you do some weapons as well. A long sword, an axe, a spear ... something. Let's not forget there is going to be some fighting right? If not much fighting. This is an RPG game after all. NPCs and dialogues are important but the player will soon get bored if there is not some butt to be kicked anytime soon in the game.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 11 May 2003, 15:13:00 »

Sure, sure! One after the other;)  - Why do you think that I've made various cave entrances on the main map... The village itself will have more adventure than typical RPG elements, but the caves, the large forest, various open areas and finally the tomb of course will keep the player busy with fighting, I'm sure.

Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 May 2003, 17:44:00 »

Artimidor,

You do not have the herb woman down in this list.  Are you planning on using her.  I had started her and gave her the name of Pelaghia.  I have not sent any thing to you in a while on either her of Terlano.  I have to start all over because my computer kind of got wiped by my daughter :rolleyes

I have found the GDT download again so will be working on them again if you still want me to.  Terlano will be basically the same in manner but may have several different responses to what you have.  If you want I can do this again and send it to you.  Also can flesh out the herb woman more.  The cottage background I have from Bard Judith's previous description.  

Let me know if I am considered able to help in any way.

"In a place like this, the magic is all around you, the trick is to see it."

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #13 on: 12 May 2003, 01:28:00 »

*haha* Sure you are able to help, Thuja! And little daughters sometimes do such things - I know that from my brother's little one;)

Please go ahead, I'd be happy to have you working with us on Nepris, especially as you started designing this wonderful region... Hope the additions we made lately are to your liking.

The existing Terlano dialogue can be found in the Games section, so you'd need to type it in again - or I could try to restore your old database and send it to you, then you can build on what you've mailed me... Just how you prefer it. Let me know, Thuja, and I'll get to it tomorrow.

P.S. Seeing Nate running wild at the moment I definitely have to set up some sort of defintive "contract" between LT and Santharia to ensure both parties copyrights.

Thuja
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 2

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 12 May 2003, 03:04:00 »

I will admit that Nepris is quite different from the original sleepy village I had envisioned.  But that is okay, all things added have helped to complete this area very much.  I am just happy my little idea was able to spawn so many others and flesh out a great little region.

"In a place like this, the magic is all around you, the trick is to see it."

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]