Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Author Topic: The Mysteries of Nepris RPG (Status Quo of Nov 2nd 2003)  (Read 11347 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #30 on: 26 June 2003, 15:39:00 »

The complete Nepris Rooms file has been updated you can use as reference on how the current rooms are made (download here, 260 KB).

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #31 on: 25 July 2003, 13:38:00 »

As you might have noticed, I've updated links and maps etc. in this thread... Judy, take a look at the main map - the colors of room squares were made more transparent, so let me know if this looks fine at your computer as well and it is possible to print better.

Slight problem: In the course of time I've started to make text white instead of black on dark backgrounds, so they don't look that good now... Well, I'll change them to a darker colour if necessary, but first I have to know if the map in general looks ok.

If the colours are right, I can also cut out a section of the map, enlarge it, and post it so that you can print a certain part. That's what I do here, and it makes life a lot easier for me;)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #32 on: 30 July 2003, 08:15:00 »

The colours are bit too light now I think, especially in the baychtree grove some parts of the river show through were none is.For room 309, 312 and 318 it would be ok, but not for 319, 344 and so on.

***Astropic of the day***

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #33 on: 30 July 2003, 12:44:00 »

Yeah, these are remnants of first sketches, which were still there on the first layer... Now that I made everything more transparent, they shine through;)

Will correct that in the next version and make a bit less transparent...

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #34 on: 08 September 2003, 11:23:00 »

The first post in this thread was updated with the link to the latest version of the game to download, and the map was updated as well, showing you precisely which rooms you can walk already. The Prosperous Farmhouse map is completely integrated BTW. Hope the colors on the map are also better recognizable now, and the river should also flow correctly now:broadgrin  

Oh, I've also update the "Nepris Master Rooms, Items and Quests" lists, which contains all rooms, items and quests we've done so far (but not the dialogues, as they are a tad more complicated). Very helpful to see how things work in the game, and good examples on how rooms and quests should be done.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 9/7/03 19:31

Humangus

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 September 2003, 09:13:00 »

New stuff in my mailbox at last :clap  I almost got worried about the development progress.

www.legendarytales.com

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #36 on: 09 September 2003, 10:06:00 »

Yeah, things are a bit slow, but game development needs time (especially when people aren't that eager to participate in game making) - hope the preparations I do for you are helpful, cause Talia of course writes everything very much from the player's point of view, and I need to re-think everything from the viewpoint of a programmer when preparing.

Judy unfortunately is pretty drained with getting her baby and the unexpected fulltime job and some additional problems. But if things get better over there in Canada, I'm sure we'll get these promised rooms as well;)

I'll see to Xarl's wizard house next and some more Talia stuff.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #37 on: 09 September 2003, 13:24:00 »

Back! ;)

We need some more people to help out here, Art.

I will finish the Mimi  Dialogue, some minor other things and do some additional rooms I got some ideas last night (the forest close to the baychtrees). But slowly I'm loosing interest, because I can't play the game. The new version won't work on my virtual PC - starting it was anyway a major thing because I have only the version for OS 9 , have to close all programms, go into another startvolume and so on. My husband will replace his dell laptop(with windows 2000) he brings home from work every night with a powerbook soon and the PC of my son is broken. So it is a bit frustrating for me to develop something I can only use or look at when visiting an internet cafe. I don't see when I will have the chance to see the new game because the dell is not availalble for me the next days, maybe longer.

That would change of course, if there would be a version available for Mac OS X!

Humangus, if there is nothing from Santharia in your mailbox, why not work on this?

Meanwhile I can finish what is waiting for such a long time now..

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #38 on: 09 September 2003, 13:32:00 »

It's not really realistic to make a Mac version, Talia, as far as I can judge, especially not when the program isn't finished:x

But the game is really progressing very well, Talia, this I can tell you, it already has a lot of content in every possible sense you can think of (dialogues, rooms, graphics, sounds and music). And you're really missing something.

But we're really missing people here, though, that's true. Smith wanted to help, but I haven't seen him around for a while.

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #39 on: 09 September 2003, 15:16:00 »

I know I'm missing something, but I never played it with sound, because it  didn't work, not on the dell either. And what shall I do once the dell is gone? Then I don't have easy access to a windows PC.

Humangus

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 September 2003, 04:37:00 »

Quote:
Humangus, if there is nothing from Santharia in your mailbox, why not work on this?

Work on this? :speechless  OK. Thanks guys. I will do the programming, integration and game development. I 'd better go work on my own then? :crazy  :upset

Let's say I will forget that. Not that I couldn't work on my own, but help from others for the development of a game is the reason I have come to Santharia anyway and signed the agreement :read  . Just have a look at how many have signed it |I

At least it would be good to know who wants to work on this and I wouldn't mind someone saying that he/she is not interested any more. I can understand this. Dedication to a cause, especially one that does not return any profit, as Artimidor wants it, is difficult. But we must get along. We already have put much work to it already. I wouldn't like it being wasted. :pet  

www.legendarytales.com

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #41 on: 10 September 2003, 12:57:00 »

Though I don't know exactly how much time we still have until you disappear to the military for quite a while, Humangus, I think - if you have time - it would also be worth to take the time to think about the final graphical interface - at least for the first screen. I think many people still don't realize the potential of the game because they are used to graphical interfaces, and are a bit detered by the very technical appearance. On the other hand I think that a graphical interface would bring the game more to the people's attention, here in Santharia, but also for example the guys from your board, who will notice that there are some major things happening, which they don't see yet, as everyone tries to do his own thing.

I think maybe we could also offer the Editor for downloading here in Santharia and bring LT more to the people's attention this way. I've just recently done a search engine optimization and we get lots of people in here searching for "online rpg game fantasy free" (currently we have approx. 40 visitors coming directly from a search engine looking for these things). Having LT directly on the site for downloading and integrating it in the Santharian tour (which I'll have to finish in the next weeks) could attract some more attention as well, I think - what do you think?

Santh. Member

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #42 on: 10 September 2003, 14:53:00 »

Quote:
New stuff in my mailbox at last :clap  I almost got worried about the development progress.

Talia: "Humangus, if there is nothing from Santharia in your mailbox, why not work on this?"

Work on this? :speechless  OK. Thanks guys. I will do the programming, integration and game development. I 'd better go work on my own then? :crazy  :upset

Let's say I will forget that. Not that I couldn't work on my own, but help from others for the development of a game is the reason I have come to Santharia anyway and signed the agreement :read  . Just have a look at how many have signed it |I

How could you misunderstand me, Humangus?
"This " was:

That would change of course, if there would be a version available for Mac OS X!

I just expressed my wish to be able to play our game whenever I want as long as I want in an envirement I'm used to! Make it run on OS X and I will write till my fingers bleed and my kids scream with hunger, will even jump over my shadow and create some nasty monsters. I know that Art is right that it is improbable, but remember, I'm a dreamer.

Humangus

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: 11 September 2003, 08:21:00 »

@Talia:

Well, we 're all dreamers here I think. We all have done stuff like that in our lives sometime :biggrin  . Sorry that I misunderstood you Talia. Playing and seeing the result of development is important, but writing a version for the Mac is too much. Honest. Besides, something like that would require even more time on my side. And I would probably write a Java version not a native Mac program.

@Artimidor:

From my point of view the major problem at the moment is the lack of a game, even a simple short one and not the interface so much. After the completion of a game we can take advantage of the hundreds of game sites/if sites/rpg sites but now just an engine and editor cannot be posted to game sites (I have previous experience from the past). Most people are interested "in games" but very few will start to develop one. Just think of our efforts.

The interface certainly needs some changes. I 'm quite convinced by now. I am ready to start redesigning the interface and you can send me suggestions. I can add controls for now (panels) that will later be replaced by images.

Suggestion 1:
Basically I think that the main screen should be separated in 4 parts. On the left there will be the text area (with graphical background and scrollbar). On the right we need an area for the images just like it is now. At the bottom left, besides the options the area will be used for all kinds of choices to avoid the pop-ups. Examining open containers could also display their contents here. This area will also contain all buttons (now they are at the bottom right section) that they will be hidden when there are options. The bottom-right area should be reserved for an automap. This is a rough main design. All these with a graphical border, a full screen window and a separate windowed options menu (for saving etc) will quite improve the interface. After that, only the inventory screen remains. For the journal and the map there is no reason to be changed.

Suggestion 2:
There is also an alternative. The text and image area will remain where they are as in the previous suggestion. At the bottom we can add a horizontal bar which will also include player portraits (48x48 pixels perhaps) and will also include rectangular areas that will contain graphical buttons just like in the interface you presented in the past. Below this horizontal bar , there will be a larger horizontal area for the options/buttons and the automap. This interface is similar to the one used in Icewind Dale II where instead of the graphics window we will put the text and images.

Well, including LT in Santharia is great for sure but I 'm not quite sure about this strategy. I mean, when people come here looking for an online multiplayer game and find a single player desktop game creation utility they won't be very satisfied. Besides, 99% of the visitors will be interested in games than in game development (apart from those that will also be interested in Santharia and the fantasy world of course).

www.legendarytales.com

Pages: 1 2 [3]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]