Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Suggestion concerning the use of the Compendium in the RPG  (Read 2655 times)
Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 20 January 2004, 06:54:00 »

Although I do not exactly know how far the progress on the RPG is momentarily, nor the way in which it dealt with information, I did have an idea concerning some sort of integration between the RPG and the Compendium.
As Silfer somehow managed to persuade me while he visited, I'll post it here for you to take a look and decide if it has some future.

Most RPG's have all sorts of short descriptions for objects in the RPG, as to inform the player of their use/function etc. In this RPG, everything is based on the information from the Compendium, which is built into the game. My idea was, however, not to build everything into the game, but to let certain things open, so a player has to look them up. This would "force" players to look-up facts in the Compendium. Of course, most things should still be available immediately to a player, but for more "sophisticated" things/quests, perhaps this would be a nice way to complete them.

For Example; If a certain thing is somehow connected to a certain historical fact, this will not be displayed. Somewhere in the game, this fact will become of importance however, and a player who has read the entry concerning that historical fact now knows how to proceed (better, as not to create any limits for those who dislike reading)

"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune-they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures."

Ta`lia of the Seven Jewels
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 143

Shendar, Shen-D'auras

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 20 January 2004, 08:57:00 »

I shouldn't always go for the latest activity, LOL, I thought you were talking about the post-by post-RPG first.

I don't know, if this is a good idea though. Too much to look up, we have a lot of adventure style things already in the RPG and not enough fighting stuff. At least I was told so. I can see Humangus face frown with disapproval ;)  

***Astropic of the day***
"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path   that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking, looking, breathlessly. ~Don Juan"

Edited by: Talia Sturmwind  at: 1/19/04 16:01

"For me there is only the traveling on paths that have heart, on any path  that may have heart. There I travel, and the only worthwhile challenge is to traverse its full length. And there I travel looking,  breathlessly. ~Don Juan"
***Astropicture of the Day***Talia's Long, Long List***
Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 20 January 2004, 10:57:00 »

I thought of that too. It would indeed take all the fun from the game if everything had to be looked up. However, as I said, some more "sophisticated" things could perhaps be done this way. They don't even have to be necessary, but would enable players to do certain things in a better way. Or make them necessary, but only for sub-quests, that do not necessarily need completion or so.  

"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune-they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures."

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 20 January 2004, 13:46:00 »

Well, I have already mentioned quite a while ago that it would be possible to link from an item description you read in the game to the Compendium entry within the game, so you could look up things if you are interested.

However, because designing the game itself (with no more than 2-3 people actively participating here from Santharian development) is lot of work already - and things are already quite complex as it is at the moment - any hidden quests with direct Compendium reference are simple impossible to realize. We have to concentrate on the game, and there is too much to do here to have time for more.

So though the theoretical links to the Compendium could be done (whether you use it simply as a gimmick or as more), it just has very low priority at the moment. There is so much involved in a game with not enough development resources that we cannot afford to make it happen. We need to get the game done first, and it should be finished in this millenium.

P.S. Which reminds me: Realizing some mage laboratory action is next on my list, will get to it in 2 weeks. Smith - you're still there? How are the tavern dialogues?

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 January 2004, 09:20:00 »

I didn't actually mean a real link from the game to the Compendium. A player should go and search there, without a link from the game. Of course, most things would have their own game descriptions still, but really hard quests could perhaps involve looking through one (or more) Compedium entries, of which the player has to find out himself.

So actually, that would mean less information in the game, instead of more. Or am I seeing that the wrong way?

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #5 on: 21 January 2004, 09:28:00 »

No, this would actually mean more complexity, which we simply cannot handle with this small staff of RPG developers.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Theodorus Holzman

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 January 2004, 10:11:00 »

Ah, okay, message understood. I won't mention it the next five years or so ;)  

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]