Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1]
Print
Author Topic: Game making  (Read 4369 times)
Darien Gulath

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« on: 09 January 2005, 12:22:00 »

Mayby it has been a topic earlyer but i would like to share this anyway.

You've all been working in this legendary tales engine wich is all great and all. But it isn't really a game; More like an interactive story.
If whe'd like to create our own games with graphics and all, might i suggest multimediafusion from click&play. www.clickteam.com, You can do abaut anything in 2d. You could also build a game there; so there can be added animations and movement and much more interactivity. You make your own graphics (high santharian quality) You imagine yourself your own gameplay engine (as long as it isnt 3d) and with a few clicks en drags and graphic importing. Voila á game!

My hobby has always kinda making my own gameworld too. And i't prefer it in this type of fantasy. Just like artimidor i am a fan of thief too. ( Artimidor proposed earlyer that he would like levels in thief2. in santharian style) Well i think that would be cool,yes. But i'd prefer an own santharian engine made by the members of this world.

Hm Examples:
A 2d game where you play a barbarian and slaughter orcs or something. Dipped in a little bit story sauce used with high quility graphics and such.

Or make another legendary tales engine. However you can make your character move with a click and point system, or in 1st person like myst. or you can just keep the tales engine and replace the battlesystem with better graphics (and more realtime action).

Or simply make you installation program for any legendary games you might wish to make in the future.

Download this tool yourself and judge foryourselves.

(I also wanned to mention rpgmaker2003; however i think this thingy is inapropriate because it simply hasn't the highstandarts of graphics needed to live in santharia :P, great things can be done with this program, For tales and battles and stuff only it looks really cartoony...)

But still go now immidiatly towards www.clickteam.com and download the trail. once you did that you can get a patch from what i believe; www.astalavista.box.sk (be carefull on that site before you know it you have pulp and trash on yer computer don't press on any of the pop-ups...) This patch allows you to skip the payment thingy that is to required if you want to enable the fullversion mode of mmfusion or gfactory.

I hope i might have provided you guys from some usefull information here and i recommand you take a look at it and comment here what you think.

Regards Darien

DarienGulath@hotmail.com

Darien Gulath

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 09 January 2005, 13:24:00 »

By the way, i know you can't concentrate on any other engines right now, but it's just a suggestion to concider. mayby for when the current game is finished.  

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2005, 14:31:00 »

Well, the problem isn't really to find the right tool to make a game out of Santharian content. I'm sure there are tools that would be useful and there'd be lots of possibilities on how to make something. Legendary Tales is a very nice tool methinks and from what I know Humangus is more or less re-writing LT as he had already announced a year ago or so that he'll do so - then you'd also see many improvements of what is now only fragmentary, e.g. concerning fights, also a major interface re-design would be done etc.

The problem is simply that we don't have the resources to build a game right now, and with resources I mean: game developers. If there isn't a team of at least 5 people with a clear mission on what they want and how they can realize it, then each approach on making a Santharian game is doomed. I know that from experience and will not attempt it again. We cannot afford it. I state that very clearly.

Building a Thief level was suggested as it would require only a minimum from the Santharian side. A Thief level is based on the imagination of a level builder, and Santharian additions would be welcome, be it pictures, texts or music. But a Thief level wouldn't be developed by Santharian developers, that's the difference.

The Santharian Dream Webmaster - Let Fantasy Dreams come true!
World Development Admin - The Forum where Worlds are born...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Fluffy Ramblers

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2005, 01:00:00 »

That RPG Maker tool is quite nice actually. Reminds me of good ol' times when I spend weeks making Warcraft II campaigns. Guess I'll give it a try a bit later, when I've got less things to do.

-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story

Smith in Exile
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 4

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2005, 10:48:00 »

Yes, assembling a team that would actually finish a game project is the hardest thing, indeed. And that because we are all acting on this community on a hobby premise. We do it for free :)  => we do it in our spare time. The base rule would be that rl always comes first. However, nothing is impossible, so don't despair. If you manage to assemble a team and if you have thought of a coherent project then "sky is the limit" :)

As for my opinion, I always enjoyed the idea of making a santharian game, but what can I say... I did some stuff for the LT Nepris project and then I "dissapeared into oblivion" when my rl started to be a bit more demanding than usual. We can always come back though, which makes me wonder about the amount of time needed to finish a santharian game project (Arti was thinking about the LT Nepris in terms of years :) )

Darien Gulath

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 January 2005, 16:01:00 »

Whe don't need a engineering team when whe use mmf or gfactory. However some ppl who can make the graphics can be used. The engineering is so simple; i could do it on my own ( depends how to game should play- but yes i've been working with this little miracle program for quite some time now).
Hm. How would ye like a zelda type of game only with a little better graphics and mayby more story. Such a thing is easily made (for engineering part -not the graphic part).

(I've allready begun sketching some characters on paper- Later on i will scan them in and create them moving. When collision wall-stop. Overlap object. And done whe have a movement.

I will show you an example when i am ready.

Mayby when ive made a small example for you to see, Then mayby others will become interested as well;

If you to are interested in creating a game by this program, then add me at DarienGulath@hotmail.com

Fluffy Ramblers

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 January 2005, 17:21:00 »

I for my part would like to see the Nepris story finished and I would sacrifice some of my time to write the descriptions and maybe draw a better interface when needed. However, seeing how much there is still to do, I'd propose to shorten the story somehow, or at least split it, so there is a possibility of adding sequels. And when there already is one game, it will be easier to find people to develop another one, I suppose.

Anyway, one member of the team we do have. Who's in with me? ;)  

-----
Squee! Narf! For the Cheese!
The ratty story

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #7 on: 12 January 2005, 14:04:00 »

Enthusiasm to realize something comes fast, but game development lasts months and years. As Smith said: We're developers, who work on the world in our often scarce sparetime - this takes a lot of energy from all of us. And therefore a main world developer can barely afford the time to contribute to a game.

So if you can form a team, Darien, you can try to realize something, no objection to that. However, I assume we have all learned our lessons concerning game development in Santharia after the 2nd try. I agree with Fluffy that the continuation of the Nepris game should have priority if more people are interested in game development - a lot of work has gone into it and I think what you can see is splendid concerning the content. The RPG elements need to be further elaborated, but this would have been one of the next steps. I also already have most of the alchemist's cave rooms done, and with these monster infested rooms the real action would start. They could be integrated right away. If more people would work on a monster area together (e.g. the forest area with some wolves in it, connecting the village to the Kupfdrubus hut, where we also have dialogue and pictures already) then we'd have gained a lot. But we need more commitments to that.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 1/11/05 21:08

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Hieronimus Kupfdrubus

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 12 January 2005, 14:43:00 »

Some visitors would be nice, yes ;)  

H.Kupfdrubus

Edited by: Hieronimus Kupfdrubus at: 1/11/05 21:44
Darien Gulath

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 12 January 2005, 15:50:00 »

The part i like the most abaut your game artimidor is that everybody is allowed to work at it.

I agree that whe should first focus on the current game and i'l see if i can help a little.

However i have a few questions for you artimidor;

-Adding Npc's is great and all but how does it influence the game? I mean the Npc's who are submitted by the people are just for decoration right?

-I haven't read everything yet on your game-project frame yet, but i did wonder; Is it possible to create your own levels so to speak. with your own npc's and your own battlezone's. ( For sidequests in the official rpg)?

-Are you going to improve the interface of the editing tools for the members?

-How will your world-movement be like. Will it have animations? ( It should)

-The ingame battle will that be just textbased? With animations or just some pictures of baddies?
explain meh.

And Artimidor; you are a programmer right? you did not create the engine but you are improving it right? What program do You use then? Visual basic?

These where just some thingies i wanned to know.

Abaut my own game: I've begun working on a rpg-system ( It's the hardest to make with many variables and groups and stuff) To create a Warlords type of game. (Strategy and rpg) If there are any people out there who also have gfactory or mmfusion knowledge: THEN JOIN MEH!!! add me at DarienGulath@hotmail.com

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #10 on: 12 January 2005, 15:23:00 »

@Hieronimus: :lol  

Some answers:

- NPCs: Well, NPCs should - whenever possible - have something to do with a quest in the game, otherwise the game itself wouldn't progress. There are some rough concepts on what role some persons, who aren't described yet, should play in the game. These NPCs would still need their dialogues. Even Pinn, the little boy you meet at the beginning of a game doesn't just stand around for decoration, but is part of a simple, which is already realized in the game if you played it...

- Create own "levels": Sure, you can add e.g. an own little cave, put some riddles and monsters in, or let the player discover a secret teleporter where he/she discoveres some strange things in an undefined structure etc. However, you should keep in mind that there needs to be a main storyline and we need to work towards this goal. So whenever possible what you construct should be related to the plot or at least don't contradict it and fit into the environment or be part of a quest which makes sense in the context. For example if I remember correctly the mad wizard the player encounters wants to have some sort of magical plant, which grows mainly near a wizard's grave. Now with a little bit of imagination you could set up a little scenario where this plant can be found - make sure to include some Santharian monsters in it, make it interesting and adventurous and not too big so that you have it all in your hands, and then we can easily connect it to the rest of the game.

- Improve the interface of the editing tools? As far as I know Humangus plans or is already rewriting LT for various reasons. However, the LT cooperation always worked that way that we do the development work without any technical stuff e.g. providing items and rooms descriptions in Word, and Humangus integrated it all himself as he knows his tools very well and is very fast.

- Ingame battle: I don't expect any animated fights in LT. But further improvement in this field would be good and very much needed I guess, e.g. some sort of Bard's Tale system would be lovely (this is a very old game, so you probably don't know it). But this system would allow much better text-related strategical decisions than the current combat system offers.

But if you want to have more graphics etc.: This is all planned for a new interface - icons, clickable compass rose with highlighting directions for player movements and so on.

- Programming: I am Visual Basic programmer, but have nothing to do with programming anything in LT. I also don't improve it. I wrote a Dialogue Buillder in VB you can install and use to design your own dialogues. It comes with a full documentation and if you play around with it a bit I guess it's not that difficult. This program (in the last version I have) is also capable of preparing dialogues to a certain extent so that Humangus can more or less easily convert them to LT.

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 1/11/05 22:25

Pages: [1]
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]