Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Author Topic: Santharian maps in Ultima Online?  (Read 13423 times)
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« on: 22 October 2000, 12:38:00 »

Got a mail today from a German guy. Thought, I'd inform you, so here it is in detail:

"Hello!

I just visited your Website. AMAZING.

But i wanted to ask you something :

Me and my friends want to build up an Online Roleplaying game based on the Ultima Online Engine.
This Server will be free for everyone.

But we don't want to use the standard map of Brittania. We want to make (or use) a complete new map, new rules, new races and so on.

To my Question. Your maps are Amazing and would be perfect for our game.
But before we start, we want to check, if the Maps are copyrighted, or if you don't want, that we use your maps.

I would be happy if you could answer me.

Best regards

Sascha"

As Sascha discovered that I can speak German we already talked on ICQ about the idea. We'll see what comes of it...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2000, 16:38:00 »

>                 As Sascha discovered that I can speak German we already talked on ICQ about the
>                 idea. We'll see what comes of it...

*Hehehe*

Yes, yes. Many Germans don't expect Austrians are _really_ able to speak German!

*grins*

Bye, Koldar

Xenos Ravenbeack

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2000, 17:34:00 »

will, he be useing our races? after all If he's useing our maps why not adopt our whole universe? just a thought but It's not a bad Idea considering that our maps are pretty well routed in saththaria and putting them into a non-santharian setting may cause confusion. but if he's adopting all or most of our universe.. we should make him part of out team there by makeing him ansewer to me(er... I mean artimidor, kind of) besides I'd sort of like to see my trolls in action. *xenos has had a long history of being not so impressed with most fantasy world trolls, there by hopeing he did it right*

Edited by: Xenos Ravenbeack  at: 10/22/00 1:17:24 am
Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 23 October 2000, 03:03:00 »

Originally it was planned that Sascha and his friends (approx. 20 in count consisting of several programmers, computer artists and web designers) would set up a server using the world of the German RPG "Das Schwarze Auge" (in English called the "Realms of Arkania"). Although they initially had the permission of Fanpro (the company behind the RPG), Fanpro in the end didn't allow the project. So they are currently searching an alternative. Santharia may be one choice, especially because the main Santharian map is very elaborated already and could be converted as is.

I already told Sascha that cyborgs wouldn't fit in a Santharian scenery (one never knows what those ill minds at Origin will produce under the title of "Ultima Online 2"). So of course Santharian mythology and history will play its part in the concept if it is realized, I guess, as the guys are looking for a "new" world.

The main problem however is the fact that the Santharian Dream is completely English and that the project will be completely German. But, well, we'll see. Sascha is going to introduce Santharia to his friends this week, so we just have to wait and see:)  

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 23 October 2000, 10:56:00 »

I have the same concerns as Xenos. Brownie culture suffers enough in the RPG forum, much less if some Ultima team gets their hands on it! Art, you might also want to check hoe this may affect the marketability of your book in the future.

Xaron

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 October 2000, 02:23:00 »

Hmm, I will certainly want them to make an outline of what they make, before I'll consider. And ofcourse, rights on Santharia keep ours. Also, many races are not totally evolved (take my gnomes for instance, all data on the site is only about 5 or 10% of all what's in my mind. I'm sure other races have the same problems... (Greybark?)

I don't want my gnomes to become something I did not intend them to. Same with Santharia.

Although it is an honour that they ask :)
And for them an honour if we grant ;)

And for them another problem is how combat-rules are made. The Santharian lands are not designed with those rules in mind...

I don't know yet, though initially I vote to "no". Until they prove they'd make something good out of it we'd like :)

Xaron, the annoying
Shelam, master of delusion

BTW, are they gonna implement the whole map!? Lot of work. Or are they gonna use only a little piece... And what time-setting? They cannot incorporate the whole history (not without decennia of work, that is).

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2000, 12:14:00 »

I see your concerns, guys, but I guess you're a bit Santharia-blind. It is pretty obvious that many, many, many things we can realize here at the site will never find their way into the RPG, on the other hand we may find several people willing to help us to improve Santharia itself as it is here on the site. Many RPG players have lots of imagination and I hope some will also share it with us. Not only for the RPG but also for our main Santharian endeavours.

I personally have no problems of allowing others to use my works (if you have MAJOR concerns concerning your works - please say so) - I guess that what it's there for. I'm not worried about the fact that Santharia isn't pictured properly. I guess we can profit a lot from this Santharian conversion which will lack many if not most things.

Main thing which currently counts for the RPG developers is the Santharian map. They start this week to convert the main part - and YES, the decision has already been made that Santharian maps are used. Further details will be elaborated one by one.

For all those who can read German (at least for Koldar) - here's the proud mail of today from Sascha announcing that Santharia will be used for the RPG, and as he starts with Avá I guess he doesn't want to miss Santharian cosmology in a Santharian RPG. Estimated development time 6 months from now on.

And here's the mail:

"Am Anfang war Avá.
Avá die Erste.
Avá die Einzige.
Avá die Mutter aller Mütter.
Avá die Allmächtige.
Avá die Alles-Erschaffende.
Avá träumte einen Traum. DEN Traum aller Träume, der Welten erschaffte.

Herzlich willkommen zu SANTHARIA,

dem Ultima Online Free-Shard, der ab heute in den Development Status geht.

Ihr interessiert Euch für Rollenspiele, genau gesagt für Online Rollenspiele, und möchtet gerne ein Teil einer Gruppe werden,
die diesen Shard unterstützen will.

Was ist überhaupt ein Ultima Online Free-Shard ?

SANTHARIA wird auf der Ultima Online Engine von Origin Systems (Electronic Arts) basieren. Wobei aber komplett neue Karten,
neue Regeln, neue Rassen, neue Waffen etc. zum Einsatz kommen.
Denen, die mit Ultima Online nichts anfangen können, sei gesagt, das, wenn man einmal damit angefangen hat, nicht mehr aufhören kann.
Man erschafft am Anfang einen virtuellen Character, mit dem man sich identifiziert (z.B. einen Elfenmagier, Zwergenschmied oder einen Krieger),
und spielt diese Rolle, als wär man diese Person selbst. Dieser Charakter entwickelt sich weiter, erlernt neue Fähigkeiten etc.

Warum eigentlich einen neuen Ultima Online Shard?

Das werden sich die Personen unter Euch fragen, die Ultima Online bereits kennen. Die Antwort ist eigentlich ganz einfach.
Das originale Ultima Online hat zwar enorme Leistungskapazitäten und auch sehr viele Spieler, aber auch sehr viele Bugs.
Ebenso wird dieses Projekt nicht  mehr in der Intensität weiterentwickelt als früher.
Aber warum dann trotzdem einen neuen UO-Shard? Es gibt doch schon so viele Deutsche Free-Shards?!
Das ist richtig, aber diese Shard haben eigentlich nur eine Kopie des Originals geöffnet, Mit den gleichen Karten, Regeln etc.
Dies ist meiner Meinung nach LANGWEILIG. Findet Ihr nicht auch?

Wer wird Developer bei SANTHARIA ?

Eigentlich alle, die sich schon mal mit Rollenspielen beschäftigt haben, sei es Pen&Paper oder auch Computer-Rollenspielen.
Ebenso sollten es Leute sein, die dieses Projekt mit einem ernsthaften Engagment angehen, ihr Herzblut da reingeben.
Nur dann ist gewährleistet, daß dieser Shard einer oder sogar der beste Shard überhaupt wird.

Achja :

Ich möchte mich bei Artimidor Federkiel (alias Christian Strobl) bedanken, der uns erlaubt hat, seinen "Santharischen Traum"
(www.freespeech.org/santharia) als kleine Hilfestellung zu nutzen.

Was könnt Ihr dazu beitragen?

Mithilfe Eurer Fantasy wird SANTHARIA erst entstehen. Avá hat erst angefangen zu träumen. Und Ihr träumt für sie weiter.

Ich hoffe ich konnte Euch dafür begeistern, ein Teil dieses Projekts zu werden. Es wartet noch eine spannende und schöne Zeit auf uns,
und ich denke, wenn der Shard erstmal Online geht, kann jeder von uns stolz auf SANTHARIA sein.
Und dann fängt das richtige Rollenspiel an.

Bis auf baldiges Wiedersehen

Valandriel (alias Sascha Grau)
Admin des UO Freeshards von SANTHARIA"

[posted by Artimidor]

Xaron

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2000, 08:13:00 »

It means that Santharia is becoming a game... It already started... :/

Well, I'd like to know if these guys have a site where they tell us how the games going. So we can discuss here that we don't (or do) like what they do...

Or don't they announce what they're doing? >D

Xaron, the annoying :smokin
Shelam, master of delusion

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2000, 09:38:00 »

I have no major problems, as long as they don't claim exclusivity....I don't want somebody telling me I can't use something I created. Other than that, I can definitely live with it. I hope they don't breed the originality out of it.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2000, 09:46:00 »

I don't think there is much need to fear anything. Just let things develop. I don't think that they plan to claim exclusivity or something similar, they just want to create something they enjoy - just like ourselves. In this way I guess we should try to help each other if possible.

As far as I know a web site will be set up, however, it will be in German of course. Currently map conversion has just started and there are lots of technical issues to discuss etc., so just give them some time.

Greybark
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 October 2000, 09:59:00 »

Yeah, well with Englisch being a Germanic language, should still be able to pick up the gist of it....I'll be interested in seeing the page.

BTW: how would you say "Brownie" in German?

Koldar Mondrakken
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 October 2000, 12:55:00 »

Sounds interesting.
To all the non-German-speaking people!
Sascha has only announced what they want to do and why they do it.
Some sort of pamphlet! This long text looked as if they have already planned much, but it is only a short concept description which they'll probably post to attract more interested people.

So nobody needs to be afraid that they've finished something in hours which needs years to develop.
And that they've already removed anything we were thinking of! ;)

I just wishes that he had mentioned the scale and the dimensions of Artmidor's site and the "Santharian Dream" somewhat more.

Artimidor, some more details what they plan to do with Santharia and the facts which are written down on this site would help to clear things up...

To Greybark:
The German synonym for Brownie is "Heinzelmännchen", although I would say they're more some sort of "city-brownies" when I take the fairy tale around them, I know of. *Hearing someone giggle* NO Artimidor! Not the advertising spots in ZDF! ;)

Bye, Koldar

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #12 on: 27 October 2000, 02:07:00 »

Just wanted to mention that I'm in contact with Sascha every evening thru ICQ, so I can direct questions to him.

He confirmed that there will be web site and he also told me that he will post here when he finds the time to give you some first hand information:)

I'm not 100% sure if Brownies can be translated to "Heinzelmännchen", at least I guess they appear only in a dozen or so... But it comes very close. Anyway, literally translated brownies would be called "die Braunen" and I guess this indeed has some weird historical context attachted to it... But I guess not even Grey knows why Brownies are called Brownies in English...

Valandriel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 October 2000, 06:22:00 »

Hail Chummers!

Now i have some time to write some lines about the Ultima Online Freeshard.

Some friends of mine and me thought, why not making a new Ultima Shard.
As you know, there are many Online Freeshards, but all Shards are using the same Map as Origin do. Our idea was to make a complete new universe.
First we wanted to make the world of DSA aka Aventurien. We askes Fampro, if we may take their materials. in the first 3 weeks all was fine, but then Fanpro asked us not to take their materials, because they now want to programm a game on their own.

Time to search new materials.
A few days ago, i found this cool Website, and the concept of Santharia is great.
I contacted A. Federkiel and asked him, if i could use some materials (especially the map).

Now i see, there is a great response in this forum, so AF asked me, if i would write some lines.

The Shard Santharia (name will change maybe) is a Freeshard, that mean all can login for free. Only the client have to be installed (will come in a Zip-Archive).
We planed 6 to 9 months of developing, and then we start a beta phase, where other Testers can login.
After a testing tim of 3 months we want to go public.
The timeline can be shortened, because we get more and more developers.
The first important thing is the map. Without a map we can't start. So the map cann look different as the map of you. But i try to make the map so equal as possible.

So you see, the game didn't started. It will take some months to create the world and the races and items a.s.o.

Next month we will have our own domain and webserver, where the Ultima Server will run even. So please be patient ;)

I hope i answered some questions. If you have other questions or hints and tips, fell free to mail me ;)

Farewell

Valandriel
(alias Sascha Grau)

Admin of the Freeshard "Santharia"

P.S.: Sorry, but my english is awful.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #14 on: 27 October 2000, 10:40:00 »

Thanx for your posting, Valandriel:)  The Santharians appreciate it!

Pages: [1] 2 3
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]