Welcome Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

gfxgfx Home Forum Help Search Login Register   gfxgfx
gfx gfx
gfx
Pages: [1] 2
Print
Author Topic: The Styreian Vocabulary  (Read 6983 times)
Uragel

Gained Aura: 1

View Profile
« on: 23 November 2001, 17:29:00 »

I know that Wren was going to turn it around so that it's English > Styreian not Styreian > English....

I copied and pasted it into excel and then sorted the "D" column then the "A" column (the English word and then the Styreian word) and there are a lot of 'the' and 'to' type things at the front.

Example
aelía aelía f. the eye

That means 'eye' right - so if I was going to keep a little record of it here on my computer I could get rid of the "the" and then have it sorted under 'e' for eye - right?

Or I could have it as "eye, the" instead?

I realise that it's my computer and in reality I could do what ever the heck I wanted with it ;)  but I'd like for it to be correct :)  

Uragel!
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

Gained Aura: 538

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2001, 13:35:00 »

Ah, yes... I'll have to change the styrásh section sometime so that it looks similar to the Thergerim one. It will also be much easier to find something if we have a Tharian-Styrásh equivalent. But this all requires time... I'll put it on my to-do-list...

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2001, 18:06:00 »

I can do it and send it to you in some format if you want -

copy past into excel

sort by column "D" then "A"

copy into dreamweaver table? <- haven't checked that out yet but I'm assuming that it would work.

save

send

ESP I've got a little more time on my hands that before, the company that I work for went belly up and we were told on Friday "Merry Christmas none of you have a job come Monday : " um

So I'm currently looking around on the net madly trying to find a job, although since it was a recruitment company that I worked for and they have just gone down the drain... I'm not liking my chances... Althogh, as my Mum pointed out - I don't need lots of jobs, I just need one!...

<shrug>  

Uragel!
Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #3 on: 25 November 2001, 03:02:00 »

Oh, sad to hear about your job, Uragel! However, a girl with your energy will sure find a new job soon - I'm quite confident here;)  

Hmmm... Concerning the vocabulary: Guess I still have to do all the changes myself, cause there are various things I have to take care of when I restructure the whole thing. Thanx for your offer to help anyway.

P.S. Don't know if Butch already told you - you should change your picture URL to www.santharia.com/chars/uragel.jpg as the pics from Freeservers have various problems and won't always show up when linked to them.

P.P.S. Ah well, I just saw you already took care of that...;)  

Edited by: Artimidor Federkiel at: 11/24/01 9:07:08 am

"Between the mind that plans and the hands that build there must be a mediator, and this must be the heart." -- Maria (Metropolis)
Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 November 2001, 03:30:00 »

Thanks Art.... I believe that it was the famous "Ek the Cat" (cartoon that I'm hoping that you've seen - it's a purple cat... anyway) that sais "it never hurts to help"...

hehe plus it's not like I don't have the time now! :lol  

Uragel!

Xenos Ravenbeack

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 November 2001, 07:02:00 »

I always recall Eeks "it never hurts to help" line almost imidiatly followed by some form of pain... but I dont supose thats important, just getting my level up dont mind me

Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 November 2001, 07:49:00 »

:lol  LOL at least you've herd of Eek the cat...

But yes generally when Eek helps someone it is followed by some form of pain. *keeps an extra look out*

Uragel!

Theodorus Holzman

Gained Aura: 0

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 November 2001, 14:57:00 »

If I recal, the "it never hurts to help" attitude of Eek always made a certain dog very unhappy. Which resulted in an Eek being followed by a mad dog....and then still being able to say: "it never hurts to help".......

"Destiny, chance, fate, fortune-they're all just ways of claiming your successes without claiming your failures."

Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 November 2001, 20:38:00 »

True, true... <thinking that I shoudln't have mentioned Eek now because I'm starting to worry that I'm either going to get a shark dog follow me or a piano on my head or something : >

In the end all went well and Eek and his little friends returned to normal ready for the next painful drama... it's all good! ;)  

Uragel!

Wren
Santh. Member

Gained Aura: 9

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 November 2001, 16:02:00 »

well if you get stuck for time sweetie just mail it to me. I've just handed in most of my coursework so I have major time on my hands to get the dictionary sorted out. I also have several additions to make to the dictionary and I have started on the Ylffer version, which is very similar, but shows where the two languages diverge.

Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 November 2001, 20:51:00 »

Excellent - thank you. I'm trying to re-translate the poem that I wrote in our RPG thread but having trouble with making it flow. So I might call you up on your offer if I can't get it soon ;)

Thank you...............

Uragel!
And then do what the women did.

Artimidor Federkiel
Administrator

View Profile Homepage
« Reply #11 on: 30 November 2001, 15:12:00 »

Hello again, Wren, BTW... Always a pleasure to read that you've some time on your hands... *expecting more nice stuff* ;)  

Wren
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 05 December 2001, 10:05:00 »

yep.... I have enough stuff to keep you very busy indeed arti. Starting with the Styrash dictionary the other way around. Sorry it's later than I said...Should be with you later tonight. I've spent a lot of time learning the basics of Styrash, so that I can better deal with Ylffer and Ylfferhim literature, I should be able to post these in the next couple of days, the dictionary will take a bit longer.....

Uragel

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 05 December 2001, 20:18:00 »

yay - Wren's back :)  

If I wanted a new word for the dictionary, is there and 'set' way to create it?

There isn't one particular word at the moment however I've thought that every now and then 'I wish that "XX" was a word'.

Uragel!
And then do what the women did.Character Description

Wren
Santh. Member

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 06 December 2001, 11:21:00 »

Not really...I work mainly on Ylffer so as it's my language I can do what I like with it (within reason of course)

Elves talk very literally, so think if your word could be an amalagmation of other simpler ones. Check that the word is a concept elves would be generally familiar with, or whether it would perhaps be better as a tribal dialect word. Just check that it fits Styrash pronounciation rules and go for it. If you have additions mail them to me and I will add them. I agree, I'm trying to write some styrash poetry at the moment and could definetly do with filling the language out a bit.

My only other little hint is download the font...It's so cool.
By the way Arti, how do I go about making a font, for the ylferhim alphabet.

Pages: [1] 2
Print
Jump to:  

Recent
[27 March 2019, 00:01:57]

[21 June 2018, 14:28:00]

[31 May 2017, 06:35:55]

[06 May 2017, 05:27:04]

[03 April 2017, 01:15:03]

[26 March 2017, 12:48:25]

[15 March 2017, 02:23:07]

[15 March 2017, 02:20:28]